Old Style - Pabst Brewing Company

poor

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.72% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Style Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

2.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle at ORD Terminal C, Chicago, IL

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a short bright white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface.
S: Light to moderate aromas of adjunct malts are present in the nose—corn seems to stand out in particular.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell and has flavors of corn adjuncts but there is no associated sweetness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer goes down easily and seems to be a slight cut above the common adjunct lagers.

3.1/5  rDev +11.5%

I'm not sure if it's possible to get more 'old school' than the combatants in Macro Smackdown XIV. In spite of its name, Old Style Beer is a relative newcomer (1902) compared to Hamm's (1865). I've been looking for Old Style for a while now and finally found a can in a roadside convenience store in Illinois. Little did I know that it's available in Des Moines. Lucky me.

Pale maize with an impressive number of fine bubbles leading up to a barely off-white head that isn't great and isn't lousy. It's amazing how similar these two look. Other than a slightly better head texture and minimally more lace with this one, they're identical.

The noses are pretty close as well. Old Style is pleasant in its own way. It's pure, simple and freshly grain-like with a whiff of hops. Unlike the appearance, I think the difference is enough in this case to warrant different scores.

These are both pretty good macro lagers. Unlike just about everything coming from BMC, there's no hint of nastiness to my palate. To be safe, though, I'd still drink them on the cold side. The flavor profile follows the nose directly. Untoasted grain with a light sweetness, floral hops with a light spiciness.

The mouthfeel in both cases is exactly as it should be. I'm pleased to see that, despite their lightness, they don't descend into wateriness on the finish. A spirited amount of carbonation keeps the mouth party humming and keeps the grain-flavored burps coming fast and furious.

Against all odds, I like both Old Style and Hamm's. I know, I know, they can't hold a candle to just about anything coming out of Belgium, but then it's unfair to judge them alongside beer that is so vastly different in construction and purpose. Old Style Beer is the winner of Macro Smackdown XIV by a nose (literally). Hamm's, however, has nothing to be ashamed of. Well done Pabst.

2.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks for the tick, Bobby.

A: The pour is an extremely light yellow color with a white head that dissipates quickly.

S: An incredibly sweet and sugary nose, much more so than most adjunct lagers. Lots of metallic notes though, almost like a faceful of coins.

T: Not quite as metallic flavor-wise, but still there. Very sugary and sweet with a moderate amount of corn. Not really any hop flavor to speak of, but I'm not at all surprised.

M: The body is incredibly light, but not really watery. The carbonation is moderate.

D: Too metallic on the nose and really, really sweet. But the flavor isn't as offensive as it could have been. Score one in the moral victory column.

2.63/5  rDev -5.4%

Served in a Michael Shea's shaker pint glass.

If I hear one more commercial about how kraeusening makes things better, I'm gonna freak out. Deep breath. This bit pours a clear jaundice topped by a quickly-dying half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises light flowers, grass, fake coriander, and what may or may not be wheat. (I honestly can't tell...) The taste holds notes of mild wheat and hops, lemon zest, and a lot of rather hard water. The body is very light, with a fizzy carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a fizzy weakling of a beer, but very easy to down quickly (if one so desires).

2.8/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured a clear, fizzy, bright yellow color with a fizzy, bubbly, small, white head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of grains and adjuncts. Not much else there.

T - It tasted fairly sweet and of corn and grains. Not offensive, but not great either.

M - It was very crisp and sharp. A smooth easy drinking lager.

D - This is an okay lager. I could see it being very good at a Cubs game.

Old Style. It takes me back to Chicago when I was going to Siebel in '95. I was more interested in trying all of the different stouts from Bell's myself, but my friends back-home wanted this so I bought a case. I got some Huber Bock in returnable bottles as well, but I digress...

Old Style is an average brew at best, possibly 'better-then-than-now' - but also possibly 'better-now-than-then' - it's hard to say as it's a fairly straightforward American adjunct lager.

It pours the typical golden body beneath a short head of short-lived bright white foam. Lacing is average at best. Generic beer nose with a hint of apple thrown in. Light-medium in body. Crisp with bristling bubbles. Bitterness that just bumps the malt. A smear of leafy hop flavor. Generic beer finish.

3.48/5  rDev +25.2%

There's a lot of malty sweetness on this one. And even though it reminds me of Harar (from Ethiopia), I still feel like it's a bit too much when it comes down to it, but it's a just barely kinda thing. But still it's smooth, overall. Very little grain tones hit you, and when they do, it's much later on. For an adjunct, this isn't all that bad really. I mean, I doubt I'm going to run out and make it my standard, but for the experience and price, it's not too shabby.

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick fizzy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a light, pale malt and adjunct scent along with a dry lager yeast aroma. It's crisp and clean. The taste is average. It has a dry pale malt taste. It's very light and easy drinking, but lacks the flavor that an all malt lager has. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is an above average macro lager. I like the aroma and taste. There's nothing exceptional about it, but it drinks well anyway.

2.25/5  rDev -19.1%

3.38/5  rDev +21.6%

CANtastic! I scored a sixer of the 2009 Cubs/Vines CANs during a layover in CHI at the beginning of the week. Today, I have WGN on, watching the Cubbies whomp up on my Buccos, so Old Style is definitely a fitting beer.

It began with a finger of bone-white head, but quickly fell to mere wisps. Color was a sunshine yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was somewhat sweetish with the standard cereal quality. Mouthfeel was effervescent and mildly sweet. Finish was moderately sweet, but tasty. I like this for its nostalgic quality. I would routinely drink it at Union Station in CHI when passing through and on a couple of trips, made a case a carry-on prior to 9/11. Yeah, it's Stone's "fizzy yellow beer" but of some of the American Adjunct Lagers that I have drank in a CAN, this was passable.

3.33/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured into a plastic cup from a 16 oz. can.

Damn, this is the best macro I've ever had. If you're into the style, this beer has a great balance of flavors. Now we're talking about sour barley, a bit of corn, and a hint of hops, but nothing stands out as offensive and the flavors work together, along with a lemon flavor, to make a decent beer.

You know, I think I actually might have enjoyed this beer. And I don't know if I've ever said that about a macro before.

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, pale yellow. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and poor lacing throughout. Smells of adjunct, yeast, and pale malt. Fits the style of an american adjunct lager. Smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes mostly of adjunct, then yeast, and slight pale malt. Not a real great beer but better than other american adjunct's I've had.

Old Style from Pabst Brewing Company