Old Style - Pabst Brewing Company

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.72% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 09-11-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 577 | Reviews: 186
1.75/5  rDev -36.8%

2.5/5  rDev -9.7%

2.25/5  rDev -18.8%

3.87/5  rDev +39.7%

I remember being introduced to this beer at a friend's house. Said friend said, "this beer is the beer I keep telling my friends to try, but they just won't. And the ones that do, they're converts." Well, so was I. So I finally found it again in my area and here we are.

Just so we're clear - this beer is a fantastic brew, but it feels weird reviewing it. One should honestly just drink it without thought...but I digress.

Serving style : 12 oz bottle poured into glass

Appearance (3) : A pale blonde color with a fluffy one finger head, receding quickly to a ring. Bubbles line the surface of the glass.

Smell (4) : A hint of maple syrup, some sweet roasted corn, some oats, fresh grass, and a little orange. I'm serious, this is a pretty knock-out-of-the-park smell for this type of beer.

Taste (4.25) : Carbonation hits first with a smooth oat lager taste. Within the body are soft corn notes, some wheat, dried and toasted grain, and an orange sweetness. A damp, soft blanket of smooth and fruity grain lies underneath. The finish is simply sweet and refreshing. A top notch taste in an American adjunct lager.

Mouthfeel (3.5) : Heavily carbonated, which is normal for the style. Finishes almost perfectly semi-dry.

Overall : I didn't think pouring this one would help much, but it actually did. I can't speak for others but Old Style is one of my top favorite lagers bar none. It's miles above PBR, and rivals my current favorite Hauenstein. These beers are both cheap (Hauenstein and Old Style), and I can't imagine finding a better lager for the price. Do yourself a favor and try this beer - if you can find it.

2.6/5  rDev -6.1%

1.25/5  rDev -54.9%

3.75/5  rDev +35.4%

1.28/5  rDev -53.8%

3.75/5  rDev +35.4%

With my father condemning Old Style as "the worst beer ever made" and referring to it as "Dog Style" since I was a kid, I was skeptical about the quality of the beer. However, my father - who holds Miller Lite and Coors Light as his go-to brews - and I drastically differ with our beer tastes, so I was considering that as I popped the tab on the can of Old Style.

Given the price and the ubiquity of this brand, you can't expect the style and complexity of craft beers. Yet Old Style is a healthier, heavier-body brew, not too watery, not too grainy, and not too reliant on one particular bitter or unappetizing flavor. It has a light drinkability to it and favorable qualities that make it a solid beer all around.

3.04/5  rDev +9.7%

3.25/5  rDev +17.3%

Serving: 24oz can into pint
Served: 19 August 2014

Appearance: 3.25/5. Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with massive carbonation streaming up from the bottom constantly. Head kind of looks like dish soap, and dies pretty quickly. No lacing.

Smell: 3.25/5. Sweet and grainy, with no off flavors or notable notes to speak of. Smells like 'beer'.

Taste: 3.25/5. Again, very standard American beer flavor- lots of sweet grains, no bitterness to speak of, no hop or assertive malt notes.

Mouthfeel: 3.75/5. Lively, high carbonation makes this one extremely quaffable, as you would desire for this style.

Overall: 3/5. I tried this because it was one of my grandpa's favorites and I grew up new Chicago so I figured I had to by mere association. Glad I tried it, but I probably won't feel the need to ever have one again.

2.25/5  rDev -18.8%

1.84/5  rDev -33.6%

1.84/5  rDev -33.6%

2.75/5  rDev -0.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Old Style from Pabst Brewing Company