Old Style Light - Pabst Brewing Company

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 08-26-2002

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 71 | Reviews: 33
2.28/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Painfully average, but heavier a light beer than I expected. I thoroughly enjoy Old Style, despite a lot of the divided and often negative opinions it merits (my father cites it and Miller High Life as the two worst beers he has ever had), and this light alternative is almost the same in terms of matching how filling its brother beer is. Other than that, it brings a middling taste to the table, but after Miller 64, everything seems so exquisite in flavor.

Left the night shift early to hit the casino with a coworker. He had a case of Old Style Light in his backseat. We shotgunned a few of them in the parking lot each. I then walked in like I owned the place, put $100 down on red, and lost. After we each lost a little more money, we laughed about the whole thing over some more Old Style Lights and an illegal cigarette.

Overall: Old Style Light isn't Weihenstephaner Original, but it's now the traditional casino beer.

3.5/5  rDev +40.6%

Heileman’s Old Style Light beer has a thick, stark-white head, a clear, bubbly, golden-straw appearance, and minimal lacing. The aroma is of faint, sweet, indistinguishable grains, and the flavor is the same, with a hint of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Heileman’s Old Style Light finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, dry, and highly drinkable. It’s an excellent light beer.

RJT

2.63/5  rDev +5.6%

Served in a plastic cup at Wrigley Field.

When seeing a Cubs game, there should be no other beers allowed than Old Style and Old Style Light (unless you want something that has flavor...). Get some. It pours a clear jaundice topped by a barely-alive half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises light flowers, grass, a vague sense of mild citrus, and what may or may not be wheat. The taste holds notes of mild wheat, milder hops(yeah, it tastes as vague as it sounds), lemon zest, and hard water. The body is rather light, with a mildly fizzy carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, there really ain't much difference between normal Old Style and this light counterpart. I guess that's what they were going for, though, right...?

I had this in a can for a whopping $1 at Wedges in Janesville, WI in late 2011.

Is a very light yellow color. Scent is quite weak of grassy grains which is about all you can taste in the beer. Basically this is what I call beer flavored water. Very thin and ordinary, something you can easily pass up. There’s a reason a 12oz can only cost $1.

2.78/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: Old Style regular minus the carbonation.

Smell: Sweeter than the original.

Taste/Mouthfeel: See smell. Not as metallic as original. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth and well-balanced and hits the spot on a hot day.

Drinkability: Nice on a hot day. Maybe a bit too sweet.

Overall: Stick to Old Style regular.

2.46/5  rDev -1.2%

Old Style Light an off-shoot of a Chicago favorite. Sitting at the Cubs game downing some OSL and it tastes F'ing fantastic....but who are we kidding? As a beer....not so much...mix in the nostalgia of Wrigley...golden. This beer is like anyother American macro light beer. Its great during the situations that call for an all-american beer!

3.03/5  rDev +21.7%

Another Chicago domestic favorite of mine. Poured clear pale color with a large frothy white head that mostly diminished with virtually no lacing. Light grainy aroma. Light body with a watery texture and soft carbonation. Light sweet flavor with a sweet finish of short duration. Worth having once at Wrigleyfield!

2.59/5  rDev +4%

Off tap at Wrigley Field this beer was a crystal clear brew of bright golden color. The white head retained well on my cup's brim and left scattered lacing as it descended. The aroma was of macro grains, cereal and adjunct grains. The flavors were the same and one could see how this beer would easily remind them of skunky high school garbage. At the field, however, in context, I was luvin' it. Still, as my night went on I found myself pining for a brew with more gumption. It was a watery beer with little that stood out beside that. The mouthfeel was average, the body light and the carbonation varying from booth to booth. Forgettable.

2.86/5  rDev +14.9%

I CAN hardly wait to try this beer as part of The CANQuest (TM), thanks to its causing me to get smarter about an old beer term that was new to me. CAN you dig it?

From the CAN: " In your neighborhood since 1902."; "Old Style is returning to the time-honored German tradition of kraeusening first used by G. Heilman in 1902 when he created Old Style beer."; "Think Local, Drink Local."; "Authentically Kraeusened."

Greg Koch CAN pooh-pooh "fizzy yellow beers" all he wants, but there is something aesthetically pleasing about them to my vision. Following the Crack & Glug, I had two finger's worth of foamy bone-white head to keep me company. The beer itself was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose was faintly lager-sweet underlain with a mild amount of cereal. Pretty typical, if you ask me. Mouthfeel was medium with a light bitterness on the tongue along with some cereal flavors. Finish was slightly dry, mostly unobtrusive, sort of bland overall. I am not a proponent of the style, Old or not. It just does not have enough Ooomph for me and leaves me wanting the regular version of the beer. I am really glad to have been able to get some in a trade because a 30-cube would have left me with buyers' remorse. A definite once-and-done.

2.84/5  rDev +14.1%

Thanks to resi for the trade. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit on the skunky side. Taste is light, very mild, really nothing coming through, rather bland. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall there is nothing special about this beer.

3.3/5  rDev +32.5%

This is really cheap beer - $11.99 a case in Chicago, which is unheard of. Taking that into consideration it is not bad at all! It's fizzy, light (it is "light beer"), and the flavor has none of the familiar, offensive, cheapo beer standards like banana, cheap grain alcohol and skunk. This is pretty clean, definitely refreshing, and a great bargain. What you do taste is a watered down version of an American macro with a slight German character of crispness, a bit of sweetness. There is no (standard for the style: cheap light beer) strange, inconsistent aftertaste. This will not win any awards, but why not? It's as good or better than "medal winner" Miller Lite any day of the week.

3.26/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

$0.50 can from Rudy's in La Salle IL.
Bottom of can is inkjetted SEP10, so I'm confident its fresh enough. "Authentically kraeusened" and 113 calories on the can.

This is a rare bird in Chicago, you wouldn't think so, but it approaches wale status. For those wanting a lighter incarnation of swill, Old Style light fits the bill.

Pale gold, traces of carbonation, about a quarter inch of foam in the glass. A few minutes later there's just a faint skim and ring of foam at the edges.

Husky grain and apple aroma that carries over into the flavor. Yeast contributes significant apple notes, coupled with a barely there malt profile. There's more to it than 'light, skunk, derp'. A clean lager with not much in the way of distracting adjuncts.

Mild astringency, otherwise smooth. Dare I say superior to Old Style. A banquet beer of epic proportions.

2.84/5  rDev +14.1%

16oz can at the Cubs game...Super light clear and fizzy, very carbonated...Light aroma of skunk and hops...The taste is also very light, a light skunky finish but overall very plain, you can't taste anything...The feel is super light, easy enough to drink, but not something I would go after.

2.76/5  rDev +10.8%

Drank this beer from a keg at a tailgate before watching my Wildcats get destroyed by Penn State.

Appearance- Surprisingly not bad. A transparent straw-yellow color. The white head is surprisingly robust, although it dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell- Almost no smell to speak of other than a little Corn.

Taste- Nothing too complex, but then again it's a light lager. Watery and uninspired, but not terrible.

Mouthfeel- Fairly crisp due to a good deal of carbonation, but the crispness feels forced

Drinkability- Goes down easy, and very light. Could drink these all day, but if given a choice I'd prefer something else.

2.99/5  rDev +20.1%

I love drinking old school beers , the shit my dad and grandpa got fucked up on haha

this one is very light gold pale , can see through very easily, foam stays around the rim for a little not long

Smells of sweet corn malt, and some grain not much depth to the smell or taste. The taste is almost completely absent, just corn malt , thats about it to this one , drink this one out of the can , I can't explain it , it just taste better out of the can opposed to my pilsner glass, I drank the first one from the can this is my second that I poured into the glass and the first one was much better like a 3.0 this one is like a 1.5 , so I'll average it out

Mf is incredibly light and it has a very crisp finish , this is a beer to enjoy by the dozen. very refreshing, very dry. not bad, what I expected

3.6/5  rDev +44.6%

Reviews of this beer suffer from a high degree of snobbery. Before denegrating this beer and complaining that it has poor head life / no hop flavor / tastes like adjuncts / no lacing, a wise man would look at the characteristics and qualifications for the STYLE (light lager). We are to remain as impartial as possible. Reviewing beers according to their style and not by our tastes is how we do that.

A - The brew is transparent and golden in color, with a thin head. High levels of carbonation. This is typical of light lagers. Average score awarded.

S - Smells of corn and cereal adjuncts, with very faint hop notes. This is textbook for the style, but nothinb above or beyond. Average score awarded.

T - moderate corn presence with little or no hops, and no alchohol present. This is textbook for the style. The upside is that this particular beer does not suffer from the strange aftertaste that so many light macros fall prey to. This is likely due to the krausening process. Good score awarded for being just ahead of the curve.

M - light and crisp. Lots of carbonation. Textbook for the style, but again, nothing outstanding. Good score awarded

D - Good. This beer slides down smoothly under just about any condition. A cold one will quench a serious thirst. 4 points awarded for being relatively drinkable.

2.67/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured out a clear, straw yellow color with a thin, fizzy, white head. It did not last long nor leave any lace.

S - It smelled of corn and grains. Not much else.

T - Taste was not bitter. Like the aroma, it tasted mostly of corn, grains and adjuncts. No hop flavor present.

M - It was crisp and fizzy. Light bodied and a little watery.

D - This is what it is, a light lager. Not something I'd take to a friends house, but it was great to drink while doing yard work on a hot spring day.

2.75/5  rDev +10.4%

I love this beer. Not because it is a good beer. Only that it has been with me through thick and thin. As a Cubs fan I find myself at Wrigley Field with a decision between Old Style and Bud Light. As a college student I found myself chossing between this and Keystone and Busch light. As you can imagine I have drank alot of Old Style in my life.

It pours a straw yellow with a head that neither retains or laces. Doesnt have much smell maybe some grain. The taste is more flavorful than other light lagers with a similar watery flow. It is crisp and easy to drink especially on those warm summer days on the North Side of Chicago.

2.15/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a clear, pale yellow. Short 1/4 inch head with little retention and no lacing. Smells of adjunct in a lager. Fits the style. More sour than Bud Light, but still as crisp and smooth. Tastes of adjunct and has low carbonation. Overall, not real great.

2.35/5  rDev -5.6%

lawnmower beer. ok to quench the thirst on a blistering summer day. i picked this up in Iowa. i have had the regular many times so i decided to try the "light". pours pale with quick head that settles quickly. moderate carbonation of big bighty bubbles. typical macro style light lager. grainy smell and taste. no lace. other than that, if you want a cold quencher it is cheap and ok. if you want nice tasty beer...move on.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

2.53/5  rDev +1.6%

So who can pass 360 oz's of beer for just $8? Apparently not my friends and I. This has become our new party beer, replacing lionshead due to the ability to put more cans in the fridge, the fact that they cool faster, and the price break.

Took one out on a slow night and poured it into a snifter (why not). A very clear, sterile gold color with some white head, quite a bit of carbonation but little retention and only a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell is a bit more flavorful than i was expecting--there was a faint hint of malt in there, i was expecting nothing.

Taste, again, is faint but present. Not that bad, considering it was the cheapest thing we could find. Mouthfeel is crisp but there is a lot of carbonation, too much really. Drinkability is okay--basically, you could drink this all night if you were looking to get a drunk, but it isn't going to call to you from the fridge, beckoning you to crack open one more can to experience its amazing taste or anything like that.

2.62/5  rDev +5.2%

I admit this is purely just reviewed to say that I tried it. This is not any worse or any better than any of the other commercial beers. Light beer has captured the attention of the masses. Kind of like the lemmings following off the cliff.

Pours the same, tastes the same, smells the same as most American lites. Somewhat grainy. This might be a little malty. Plenty of carbonation and must be drank cold.

Not remarkable. Buy 30 and you get cheap beer. I only drink this is somebody gives it to me. Come to think of it, I have never tried it until now. Once again, my daughter's friends gave it to me. I save my money and buy something to savor.

2.14/5  rDev -14.1%

This review is part of Macro Smackdown XVIII. I was pretty impressed with Old Style (winner of MacSmack XIV) and I've never been impressed with any beer that had the word 'Michelob' in the name. Does that mean the result of this competition is a foregone conclusion? I'd love to be able to do this blinded, but I trust my ability to remain objective. Let's see who takes the crown.

Pale amber with an initial flurry of bubbles that slow down to a few steady streams in due course. If anything, the head on this beer is even more attractive than the head on MGDL. It definitely looks better as it falls and it leaves more lace besides. Early lead to the boys from Pabst.

The nose is nothing to get excited about. Same goes for the nose on its competitor. I have a feeling that beer of this sort rarely sees the light of day (or the light of a bar) so their aromas are never assessed except during the odd beer review. It's best that way.

Old Style Light is no Old Style (naturally), but at least it tastes like beer. Watered down beer, but beer. There isn't enough flavor for the flavor profile to be considered nasty in any way. It's simple, clean, semi-dry and utterly forgettable. If this stuff was ice cold instead of beer fridge cold, I'm sure it would be even more bland.

The mouthfeel on this beer might be a tad less watery, but it's a near thing. I recently gave a can of Hamm's Golden Draft (one of the most full macro lagers that I've ever run across) to an Old Style loving co-worker. She hated it because she said she had to 'chew it' to get it down. Don't worry, there's no chewing involved in the consumption of Old Style Light.

Macro Smackdown XVIII turned out pretty much how I thought it would. Having said that, OSL is nothing to be proud of. It can't hold a candle to the standard Old Style, but then I knew that going in. Anyway, congratulations to Pabst for another hard fought win.

2.8/5  rDev +12.4%

First of all a fine light macro beer.

Pours high carbonated clear corn looking into beer glass. Head appears and then disappears, no lace remains. Flavor is dominated by corn, aftertaste left is smooth, not much of a grit feeling left on the back of the mouth.

Lately I've been happier with the OS Light opposed to OS regular which is an oddity. The regular OS from 24 pack has been very flat and almost undrinkable, the light is still full of carbonation and has even more flavor. As far as light macro's go my favorites for drinkability are keystone light and old style light.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »