Pabst Blue Ribbon Light - Pabst Brewing Company

Ratings: 116 | Reviews: 49
Reviews by Floydster:
3.32/5  rDev +30.7%

12 ounce can from a six pack from a liquor store near my apartment

Poured this into a chilled glass and was very golden yellow with no head really

Taste is watered down, but still very good for a light beer

Could drink of lot of these because they are much lighter than normal PBR

1.8/5  rDev -29.1%

Throw back brews, trendy hipster canned PBR does well. But why do they have to make every varietal of the same beer? Fizzy yellow beer, pale pissy golden or apple juice if you wanna be PG about it. Minimal specks of lacing left after the bright egg shell white head fades, oh so quickly. Aroma has cooked veggies and cereal notes going down efficiently enough to be classified as an industrial lager. No reason to go for this brew but for 5.99 a 12 pack of cans I had to grab it. Now I have something in my fridge to offer the folks who couldn't give a shit about my beloved micros. Don't get me wrong I still try to convert but this is a better alternative then them clearing out my DBF. Flavor is pretty much a watered down slightly metallic cooked veggies in this case corn and rice show up hard core. No real hop flow but I wasn't expecting one, I still can enjoy a PBR with the best of 'em but this one leaves much to be desired. Mouthfeel is carbonated water, carbonation levels a bit much will bring the Barney belches in no time. Drinkability overall could be pretty wreckless, but I'm not in the mood for a White Trash Wednesday party like I would have been back in college.

4.45/5  rDev +75.2%

I Love My Pabst Blue Ribbon Light. This Beer is in my option better than any of your so called "Brand Name" beers in taste and feel in the 10 dollar Range for a 12 Pack.
Unfortunately In This area canton, Ohio Pabst Light Beer is very hard to find without special ordering it, which isn't hard to do, just ask for it a place with good customer service will be willing to order it for you.

I Must Add This beer taste best from the can directly, I never had it in a Bottle.

I work at Acme Whipple And they now sell it per my request though only in a 30 Pack. So this is where I get my Pabst Light Fix. :)

Good Luck.

3.05/5  rDev +20.1%

Pours a very, very pale crystal clear yellow with a small white head that disappears to nothing very fast.
Aroma is slightly sweet and fruity and definately 'American Macro"...possibly because of the adjuncts or because of a common yeast.
Taste is actually more flavorful than most light counterparts...sweet malt, a little corn....
Aftertaste is a little cloying on the tongue but still drying.
A decent effort by Pabst at a poor style

3.72/5  rDev +46.5%

A- Light yellow appearance. Nice head.

S- Not a fan...but I'm not a huge fan of standard PBR smell. Even with low alcohol it seems to have a strong alcohol scent.

T- Not too far off from standard PBR...quite good for a light beer. A bit more of a tinny aftertaste.

M- Lots of carbonation. Can definitely tell it's a PBR.

D- Goes down VERY easily.

3.4/5  rDev +33.9%

Too keep it short : For an American Light Lager pretty rich tasting, well not as good as Sam Adams Light but by far better than the more expensive light beers like Bud Light,Miller Lite,Coors Light etc.Got an 30 can pack for under 13 Dollar, well anytime again.

2.69/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a pale straw gold, with lots of quickly-subsiding white foam. There's actually some attractive and detailed lacing here on my glass, too, believe it or not.

Aroma is adjunct corn and grainy malts. Nothing more, nothing less. Standard.

Taste is light, as expected, and even watery. The overall notes I get are rice and corn malts, though there seems to be a slight (ever-so-slight) touch of citrus hops near the finish.

Solid enough for the style, and this is one I can knock back easily. Don't go in expecting a world-class craft beer, and PBR Light works just fine.

Usual light beer characteristics: light colored, not overly hopped, faint hint of malt, too much carbonation. Not worth drinking, or peeing. Stick to the full bodied Pabst. This is just a watered down version.

2.53/5  rDev -0.4%

It is okay. I hated the metallic smell that creped out of my glass. The metal did cover up the corn (and unfortunately the subtle hops and malt smell as well). The taste is simple, there is some “beer” flavor, and it didn’t taste half-bad. As Light beer goes it is drinkable without losing much. Maybe the fact it is heavily carbonated hides some of the flavor flaws.

Better than the more popular light beers. You know which ones I’m talking about…

3.95/5  rDev +55.5%

I tried this because of the recommendation of BA and because the girlfriend is recommending I lose weight. However, this was pretty surprising. It's a shame that Miller gets so much focus in the Chicago/Milwaukee area and Pabst is nearly forgotten.

The appearance was typical macro clear, but for a light lager PBR Light loooks more like a real beer.

Smell was typical Heileman's can. A little bit of skunk, some adjuncts, but surprisingly the beer was quite fragrant, which is more than can be said for most light beers.

The taste was where I was most surprised. PBR Light tastes very similar to PBR Not-light. While some people would argue that this is not very impressive, I would also respond that this is a light beer that has characteristics of full-bodied beers.

Mouthfeel was rather full. The carbonation present made this feel like a real beer, and that feeling diminished only slightly when I allowed the carbonation to run its course in my mouth. Quite impressive given the style.

Since this is a light beer I would have to rate the drinkability as very high. It would be easy to sit down and drink this if one did not want to end up weighing upwards of 400 pounds after completing a session, but I also think that there are better beers if one wants to drink for taste instead of practicality.

2.78/5  rDev +9.4%

A-Poured yellow with mild cloudiness and a thick head that quickly faded. Carbonation was strong initially, but also slackened off rapidly. No lacing.

S-Grainy sweet malt and polenta, hint lemon rind at beginning that quickly faded.

T-Slightly sweet grain and corn flour, and finish hints at hops, mealy apple, and cornbread.

M-Mouthfeel is crisp and clean, and one of the aspects of this beer that renders it palatable. Carbonation is pretty good for style.

D-This stuff is nothing special of course, but for its price, it's a far better value than most of the stuff out there. It's a fair drink, it's better than most other light beers, and it goes down smoothly. This is my go-to cheap stuff.

3.08/5  rDev +21.3%

Pale straw with a thick bubbly head that dissipates quickly. Typical American macro aroma. I'll be kind and call the flavors "subtle" and "well balanced". Actually this is a good beer, which is suprising since this beer is not advertised during the football games. I'll continue to drink Bud Light since large breasted women will be attracted to me if I consume that product.

3.02/5  rDev +18.9%

I find PBR Light is an OK generic tasting light. it doesn't taste like a light version of PBR just a light forgettable beer. Only one store near me stocks it and I thought I could save money by getting my bud light drinking wife to switch (I'm a PBR drinker) she didn;t and I found myself drinking more PBR light than I do PBR so i'm not really getting less cals or carbs (Not that I care anyways) It's OK no more, no less.

2.89/5  rDev +13.8%

Nothing impressive. Watered down version of the original. Slight bit of grainy taste with a touch of faint citrus. There are some metallic, mineral flavors. The nose has all the same things. Corn, water, grain, grass, citrus. Pretty plain jane. A pale yellow beer with a white head that fades fast but leaves ok lace. Taste is pretty plain but better than macro. Watery, refreshing, crisp. Easy to drink, jus boring.

2.21/5  rDev -13%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light gold color with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a decent lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is bready, watery and a little sweet with the flavors of adjuncts, grain and barley. There's a very mild hops presence that brings a little balance. The after-taste is faint but slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, very light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily because there isn't much to it, not filling at all, mild kick, this is your stereo-typical light beer, it's very poundable but only because there's so little substance.

2.88/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a light straw color with a bright white head that fades quickly and lots of tiny bubbles.

Smell is of grain, malt and a slight bit of hops. Taste is similar to nose, slight malt sweetness, some grain and a very faint bit of hops. finishes crisp and is quite refreshing but just lacking a lot of flavor. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly.

Not bad, tad better than your average macro.

3.25/5  rDev +28%

I can honestly say that I am not a light beer fan. I try light beers from time to time with the slight hope that I will find a good one, but I usually end up going back to beers that are not light beers (fat beers lol).

PBR Light tastes a little like regular PBR, but is definitely more crisp and watered down. It has a decent mouthfeel, and is very easy to drink. It is what a light beer strives to be - light and easy drinking... I drank six of em in a row and did not feel as if I was the least bit full.

Not a bad beer for a light beer. I'd choose this over Bud Light or Coors Light, but for some reason I like the flavor of Miller Lite better... whatever that means...

3.25/5  rDev +28%

CAN you believe it?!? The CANQuest continues and I am finding new CANs more and more frequently. I scored this up in Providence, RI on Sunday while coming home from the Maine Brewers' Festival in Portland.

I got a finger's worth of rocky, bubbly bone-white head with low retention. Color was a very light golden-yellow with lots of fizzy bubbles and NE-quality clarity. Nose was lightly sweet with a light cereal/adjunct quality. Mouthfeel was medium with a slight taste of apple cider. Not bad and actually tending towards dry. I was not really happy with the effervescence of the finish, however. It was so spritzy that it killed what little taste I had experienced on the tongue. Still in all, not bad for a macro light lager.

2.83/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance = pale gold, medium head, medium carbonation +

Smell = macro brew, but with a mo' bettah aroma than some other light beers.

Taste = tastes sweet but watery, light, few hops. But I won't badmouth it for being watered down PBR. Actually, watered down PBR is still lots better than several other macrolights and at least you don't pay a fortune for Superbowl advertising.

I won't damn it with faint praise here, I'll just dang it with faint praise instead. I'd much rather have a real PBR instead of a PBR Light, dang it.

2.77/5  rDev +9.1%

A: The pour is an extremely light yellow/gold color with an initially fluffy white head. That head dies down quickly.

S: The smell is sweet, mostly of corn and grain. There isn't much in the way of hops, if anything. There's still something "off" about it, though.

T: The taste is quite similar to the nose. The beer is sweet, light, and crisp. The flavor is still lacking in hops, but also is missing the off-putting qualities of the nose.

M: Light, thing bodied, and highly carbonated.

D: Not quite as good as "regular" PBR, but certainly not the worst light lager I've ever had. It's something you'd consider on a hot summer day when you're out and about, but definitely not something I'd reach for routinely.

2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

This beer pours a clear golden color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of weak biscuty malt with a significant amount of corny spiciness. The taste is like the aroma, but without the malt tones. Really all I taste is the adjunct. The mouthfeel is watery thin, and over carbonated. Overall, this isn't the worst light lager I've tasted, but it is still tough to drink

3.1/5  rDev +22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A welcome change from most light beers. Poured out a pale light color, and had a short lived white foamy head. Tasted like a (suprise!) light version of PBR. Still a very flavorful, but a slightly stronger alcohol flavor than most light beer.Got a 30 pack case for ten bucks at my local liquor store and feel it was well worth it for the price. Worth a try if you are a macro brew fan like myself.

2.58/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can.

Smells like the original. PBR.

Taste is of light grains. Cooked corn. Nothing really astringent, or out of place. Then again, not much there in the first place.

Mouthfeel is slick and fizzy.

Drinks like water. A bit better than water, since it contains beer like ingrediants. Drank side by side with Pabst Ice. This one drinks easier.

2.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - Nice size head but leaves quick. Clear yellow color.

Smell - Lots of hop smell but not in a very good way.

Taste - Thin watery with a minor hop flavor. Crisp and clean.

Mouthfeel - Thin and light on the tongue.

Drinkability - Pabst light is not as good as Pabst. Not it is great beer but my uncle was a Pabst truck driver in Minnesota. So i am a fan since the first 10 years of my life it was the smell of daddy's kisses he he he

2.54/5  rDev 0%

A - 12 oz can poured into a pint glass. Golden yellow color, highly carbonated with a small head.

S - Smelled of corn and grains. No skunk!

T - Had a faint hop-like quality to it. It wasn't watery like most light lagers.

M - It was crisp and light bodied.

D - I wouldn't get it every time but given a choice over a BMC or PBR, I'll grab the less expensive/better tasting PBR Light.

to view more.