Pabst Blue Ribbon Light - Pabst Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

Light Lager |  4.19% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001)

I put 5 for everything, I'm sorry I can't afford constantly drinking craft or micro brews and I don't like drinking regular (non light) beers all the time in place of the better stuff. PBR light takes the cake, I normally drank Busch Keystone or Coors light but this one takes the cake for a nice easy cheap as hell light beer. I'm not a yuppie, I'm not a hillbilly and I'm sure as hell not a hipster, I'm a mid-westerner that likes a good cheap easy drinking beer with my brat. So I suggest you try this one when you need something for the party, fishing, the game or just hanging by the fire with friends.

KC9LDB, Nov 12, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +86.3%

Pries, May 20, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +75.3%

I Love My Pabst Blue Ribbon Light. This Beer is in my option better than any of your so called "Brand Name" beers in taste and feel in the 10 dollar Range for a 12 Pack.
Unfortunately In This area canton, Ohio Pabst Light Beer is very hard to find without special ordering it, which isn't hard to do, just ask for it a place with good customer service will be willing to order it for you.

I Must Add This beer taste best from the can directly, I never had it in a Bottle.

I work at Acme Whipple And they now sell it per my request though only in a 30 Pack. So this is where I get my Pabst Light Fix. :)

Good Luck.

Sublimer79, Nov 28, 2011

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +56.1%

I tried this because of the recommendation of BA and because the girlfriend is recommending I lose weight. However, this was pretty surprising. It's a shame that Miller gets so much focus in the Chicago/Milwaukee area and Pabst is nearly forgotten.

The appearance was typical macro clear, but for a light lager PBR Light loooks more like a real beer.

Smell was typical Heileman's can. A little bit of skunk, some adjuncts, but surprisingly the beer was quite fragrant, which is more than can be said for most light beers.

The taste was where I was most surprised. PBR Light tastes very similar to PBR Not-light. While some people would argue that this is not very impressive, I would also respond that this is a light beer that has characteristics of full-bodied beers.

Mouthfeel was rather full. The carbonation present made this feel like a real beer, and that feeling diminished only slightly when I allowed the carbonation to run its course in my mouth. Quite impressive given the style.

Since this is a light beer I would have to rate the drinkability as very high. It would be easy to sit down and drink this if one did not want to end up weighing upwards of 400 pounds after completing a session, but I also think that there are better beers if one wants to drink for taste instead of practicality.

brjr508, Apr 13, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +49%

A- Light yellow appearance. Nice head.

S- Not a fan...but I'm not a huge fan of standard PBR smell. Even with low alcohol it seems to have a strong alcohol scent.

T- Not too far off from standard PBR...quite good for a light beer. A bit more of a tinny aftertaste.

M- Lots of carbonation. Can definitely tell it's a PBR.

D- Goes down VERY easily.

Guardian, Jul 10, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +47.1%

MFer, Feb 23, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +47.1%

JacketAudio, Aug 08, 2014
3.7/5  rDev +45.1%

Surprisingly good light beer. Pale straw colored with moderate head, lace and carbonation. Light aroma of grain with traces of malt and hops. Smooth and easy drinking with slight hop bitterness balanced by sweetness derived from cooked corn. Surprisingly, this brew does not turn sickeningly sweet or disgusting as it warms up in your glass. Goes down smooth and drinks easily. Very tasty.

psugrad98, Mar 10, 2003
3.5/5  rDev +37.3%

Spotupfor3, Jun 19, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +37.3%

TheRevMatt, May 31, 2013
3.45/5  rDev +35.3%

A: Light American Lager
S: Light American Lager
T: Sweet and Sour at first, followed by crisp almost German Pilsner dryness without the skunkiness.
M: Suprisingly "heavy" or "full" given the style and the carb content
D: Light American Lager with a little bite.

Conclusion: Buy a 12 pack. Go camping with a few friends. Light a fire. Shoot the empties in the morning. Don't get mad because it ain't Chimay.

Slightly less polemic abstract:

Pabst Blue Ribbon is not a bad beer. Charlie Papasian actually called it "satisfying.*" It really is complex. Which is an adjective hard to achieve when you're working with half the fermentables and a fraction of the hops of, say, a good pale.

Pabst Blue Ribbon Light is not a bad beer either. The coolest thing is that is a perfect light clone of PBR. If you hate PBR or its lighter cousin it's best that you do away with the whole Light American Lager style.

If you're standing in front of a wall of light commercial American lagers and PBR Light is on hand, I assure you it will be the best option. I'm only good at a few things, and drinking "bad" light beers is one of them. Unfortunately for my pocket book and girth, I'm also good at drinking good beers. But when I have to drink a "bad" light beer, I figure I might as well drink the best of the "bad" light beers. What'll you have?

*"365 Bottles of Beer for the Year," Workman Publishing, 2008.

Greggors, Dec 02, 2008
3.43/5  rDev +34.5%

Too keep it short : For an American Light Lager pretty rich tasting, well not as good as Sam Adams Light but by far better than the more expensive light beers like Bud Light,Miller Lite,Coors Light etc.Got an 30 can pack for under 13 Dollar, well anytime again.

Badger28, Dec 30, 2005
3.43/5  rDev +34.5%

Update 3/24/06-

This really stikes me as one of the fuller bodied and flavored light beers. I would imagine it would fare quite well in a macro blind taste test with astute beer drinkers....corn and cooked vegatables on the nose are a little strong but other than that it has some nice qualities for the style....
---
An OK light beers...pretty unoffending

I was checking out of the local liquor store the other day and saw this on sale...8 bucks for a case of longnecks....I haven't seen prices like that for any beer up here since...we'll I've never seen prices like that....Old Mil runs 13 bucks a case to give you an idea...anyhow I gave it a shot and did not get burned...

Pours a light gold..darker than most light beers....slight white head...nose is corny adjunct....body is limedium....very easy drinking though if you're thirsty...I had three after basketball yesterday and three more after a little hockey today....very nice thirst quencher...sure I'd prefer a Hefe but this comparatively speaking stacks up to a lot of light beer out there...Flavor profile has some sweetness to it if you're really thirsty

You can do much worse than this....and for $8 a case I will buy more for certain occasions....A decent light beer....not up there wtih SA (or even relatively close) but on the next tier..seems watery at times when I haven't just played sports....the price was right...the product was OK in the right situation....Not a beer I could enjoy by itself after work....more of a thirst quencher than anything..

ZAP, Nov 16, 2003
3.35/5  rDev +31.4%

12 ounce can from a six pack from a liquor store near my apartment

Poured this into a chilled glass and was very golden yellow with no head really

Taste is watered down, but still very good for a light beer

Could drink of lot of these because they are much lighter than normal PBR

Floydster, Sep 12, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +31.4%

Very light yellow body, crystal clear, initial big head fades to nothing.

Sweet malt and metal aroma.

Almost no flavor, watered-down sweet malt is all. Popcorn aftertaste.

Highly carbonated, very drying.

All in all, if you need a lawnmowing beer, you can't go wrong here.

bboven, Mar 27, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +30.6%

Presentation: Typical PBR can...but light...I didn't even know they made this!

Appearance: Light gold beer, minimal white cap

Smell: VERY light, sweet graininess, nothing else

Taste: VERY light graininess, very clean, crisp, and actually not nearly as bad as I thought for a light lager

Mouthfeel: Ultra light

Drinkability: Very high

Conclusion: Not much taste, but what's there is above average for a macro light lager...highly quaffable ice-cold on a hot day

BedetheVenerable, Jul 11, 2009
3.28/5  rDev +28.6%

CAN you believe it?!? The CANQuest continues and I am finding new CANs more and more frequently. I scored this up in Providence, RI on Sunday while coming home from the Maine Brewers' Festival in Portland.

I got a finger's worth of rocky, bubbly bone-white head with low retention. Color was a very light golden-yellow with lots of fizzy bubbles and NE-quality clarity. Nose was lightly sweet with a light cereal/adjunct quality. Mouthfeel was medium with a slight taste of apple cider. Not bad and actually tending towards dry. I was not really happy with the effervescence of the finish, however. It was so spritzy that it killed what little taste I had experienced on the tongue. Still in all, not bad for a macro light lager.

woodychandler, Nov 11, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +27.5%

I can honestly say that I am not a light beer fan. I try light beers from time to time with the slight hope that I will find a good one, but I usually end up going back to beers that are not light beers (fat beers lol).

PBR Light tastes a little like regular PBR, but is definitely more crisp and watered down. It has a decent mouthfeel, and is very easy to drink. It is what a light beer strives to be - light and easy drinking... I drank six of em in a row and did not feel as if I was the least bit full.

Not a bad beer for a light beer. I'd choose this over Bud Light or Coors Light, but for some reason I like the flavor of Miller Lite better... whatever that means...

kguyty, Oct 01, 2008

birchstick, Nov 12, 2012

Harrison862005, Jul 21, 2014
3.23/5  rDev +26.7%

A- Pours the palest of yellows into my mug. Large head disappears quickly. Pretty standard light lager look.
S- Smells like a farm. Corn, grain and that dreaded metallic smell. The smell isn't as bad or offensive as many light lagers.
T- Tastes like it smells. Just like a bowl of liquified cereal with a slight metal "off" taste. Maybe a little better than the average light lager.
M- Watery, as to be expected. Carbonation is decent. Leaves a not great sticky feeling.
D- For what it is it is great. My favorite light lager. Better for grill-outs with non-craft drinkers than bmc products. This one has more positive aspects and less artificial/adjuct/metal taste.

jsprain1, Mar 26, 2009
3.15/5  rDev +23.5%

A welcome change from most light beers. Poured out a pale light color, and had a short lived white foamy head. Tasted like a (suprise!) light version of PBR. Still a very flavorful, but a slightly stronger alcohol flavor than most light beer.Got a 30 pack case for ten bucks at my local liquor store and feel it was well worth it for the price. Worth a try if you are a macro brew fan like myself.

Frozensoul327, Nov 22, 2003
3.15/5  rDev +23.5%

Thanks to my neighbor, I had a can of this one tonight. Although it was 4 months past the best by date, it tasted as it always had: about 95% of a PBR. Poured a light to medium gold with a large white head. Aromas of corn and freshly cut grass. On the palate, highly carbonated and light bodied, with hay, corn and light malt. lead to a rather bland tast.

emmasdad, Jun 07, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +21.6%

Pale straw with a thick bubbly head that dissipates quickly. Typical American macro aroma. I'll be kind and call the flavors "subtle" and "well balanced". Actually this is a good beer, which is suprising since this beer is not advertised during the football games. I'll continue to drink Bud Light since large breasted women will be attracted to me if I consume that product.

whit, Sep 17, 2002