Pabst Blue Ribbon Light - Pabst Brewing Company

Light Lager |  4.19% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 117 | Reviews: 50

This is ridicuolous, I hope the russians can sleep well knowing they took over and ruined the last good thing we had. I have one, and have not drank it out of principle.

3.5/5  rDev +38.3%

Good beer if you're planning on drinking more than a few. Not too harsh, good alcohol content, decent flavor.

3.02/5  rDev +19.4%

I find PBR Light is an OK generic tasting light. it doesn't taste like a light version of PBR just a light forgettable beer. Only one store near me stocks it and I thought I could save money by getting my bud light drinking wife to switch (I'm a PBR drinker) she didn;t and I found myself drinking more PBR light than I do PBR so i'm not really getting less cals or carbs (Not that I care anyways) It's OK no more, no less.

I put 5 for everything, I'm sorry I can't afford constantly drinking craft or micro brews and I don't like drinking regular (non light) beers all the time in place of the better stuff. PBR light takes the cake, I normally drank Busch Keystone or Coors light but this one takes the cake for a nice easy cheap as hell light beer. I'm not a yuppie, I'm not a hillbilly and I'm sure as hell not a hipster, I'm a mid-westerner that likes a good cheap easy drinking beer with my brat. So I suggest you try this one when you need something for the party, fishing, the game or just hanging by the fire with friends.

2.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a pale straw gold, with lots of quickly-subsiding white foam. There's actually some attractive and detailed lacing here on my glass, too, believe it or not.

Aroma is adjunct corn and grainy malts. Nothing more, nothing less. Standard.

Taste is light, as expected, and even watery. The overall notes I get are rice and corn malts, though there seems to be a slight (ever-so-slight) touch of citrus hops near the finish.

Solid enough for the style, and this is one I can knock back easily. Don't go in expecting a world-class craft beer, and PBR Light works just fine.

2.6/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Reached into my brother in law's beer fridge thinking I was grabbing a PBR, and I'm not ashamed to admit I don't mind PBR. What I found in my hand was the light version, so I figured, okay let's review this....

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass. This was served quite cold. (Thankfully)

A) Pale straw yellow, with a two finger head that doesn't stick around. This is not much to look at, and frankly, I think I would have enjoyed it more right out of the can.

S) Weak aroma of grains, husk, light corn, and a hint of white grape.

T) Follows the nose pretty closely, with exception of a slight metallic taste, and very light grass, otherwise see above...

M) Pretty light and highly carbonated. You could pound this stuff if you felt like it. I did not feel like it.

O) I'm not claiming that PBR is the most flavorful lager you can find, but my goodness, is shaving off a few calories really worth it? I cannot recommend the light version. I guess ice cold it's a decent lawn mower beer, but if this warms up, well friend, you are just out of luck. Stick to regular PBR...

1.95/5  rDev -22.9%

1000th review.
~18 year old can stored in warnerry's grandparent's refrigerator. Thanks to warnerry for sharing!

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy yellow with tons of tiny floaters. The thin white head settles to a ring and is kept alive by a few streams of carbonation rising from the middle of the glass(?).

Smell- Surprisingly fruity with notes of apples and pears. There is something a little astringent in here as well. Definitely different.

Taste- Kind of nice right up front- almost a little champagne-like. Things quickly go south from there. The sweet fruity flavors quickly turn astringent and metallic.

Mouthfeel- Nicely carbonated up front but it becomes a bit messy on the finish. There is a very odd and dry finish to it. Weird and itchy.

Overall- Definitely a different beast than it once was. It isn't really drinkable considering the odd mouthfeel and flavors, but it was fun to try.

I am ashamed I drank this. No beer should be $10 for a thirty rack. I knew this when I bought it but was a poor college student so I held my breath and did it anyways.

I am not severely opposed to the occasional light tasteless beer such as PBR but this beer was literally painful to drink. My thirty rack quickly became a doorstop and I was begging people to take it out of my sight.

Sorry but my only constructive criticism is pour it down the drain.

2.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a light straw color with a bright white head that fades quickly and lots of tiny bubbles.

Smell is of grain, malt and a slight bit of hops. Taste is similar to nose, slight malt sweetness, some grain and a very faint bit of hops. finishes crisp and is quite refreshing but just lacking a lot of flavor. Mouthfeel is light and bubbly.

Not bad, tad better than your average macro.

4.45/5  rDev +75.9%

I Love My Pabst Blue Ribbon Light. This Beer is in my option better than any of your so called "Brand Name" beers in taste and feel in the 10 dollar Range for a 12 Pack.
Unfortunately In This area canton, Ohio Pabst Light Beer is very hard to find without special ordering it, which isn't hard to do, just ask for it a place with good customer service will be willing to order it for you.

I Must Add This beer taste best from the can directly, I never had it in a Bottle.

I work at Acme Whipple And they now sell it per my request though only in a 30 Pack. So this is where I get my Pabst Light Fix. :)

Good Luck.

2.35/5  rDev -7.1%

I'd never had PBR light. And then I volunteered for the company softball team....

Anyway, PBR Light is pretty much regular PBR, only lighter. My sense is that they simply take the regular beer and dilute it, but maybe I'm wrong. It pours the same pale straw color with the same short-lived head, while leaving no lace behind. It smells and tastes like your basic macro. Cooked veggies, straw and a bit of metal from the can are pretty much it. Overall, the flavor and aroma experience is more pronounced than most light beers, which I think is a good thing. The super light body and seltzer carbonation make PBR Light go down quick.

PBR Light is better than Bud Light, et al, but that doesn't mean it's a good beer. It's simply one of the better examples from a mediocre field.

3.16/5  rDev +24.9%

Thanks to my neighbor, I had a can of this one tonight. Although it was 4 months past the best by date, it tasted as it always had: about 95% of a PBR. Poured a light to medium gold with a large white head. Aromas of corn and freshly cut grass. On the palate, highly carbonated and light bodied, with hay, corn and light malt. lead to a rather bland tast.

2.18/5  rDev -13.8%

Found a can in a friends fridge last night, figured I'd give it a go since I had never had it before. The pour was actually kind of impressive there was a big white foamy head on it white the liquid remained a very pale looking yellow. The smell was of sweet corn and a touch of malts. The taste was light of course but had an ok flavor for being a generic light lager. The mouthfeel was carbonated and a little tingly nothing over the top at all here. Probably won't ever drink it again but I enjoyed trying it.

2.89/5  rDev +14.2%

Nothing impressive. Watered down version of the original. Slight bit of grainy taste with a touch of faint citrus. There are some metallic, mineral flavors. The nose has all the same things. Corn, water, grain, grass, citrus. Pretty plain jane. A pale yellow beer with a white head that fades fast but leaves ok lace. Taste is pretty plain but better than macro. Watery, refreshing, crisp. Easy to drink, jus boring.

2.75/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Somehow I guy that I've tailgated with has his tailgate sponsered by Pabst.

A- Pours a bright, clear goldish color. Thin white head pretty much no retention or lacing.

S- Smells of grains, maybe a touch of a sour fruit but thats very faint if at all there.

T- Grain and corn not too much else.

M- Crisp and clean, lighter in body and carbonation is pretty much every where.

D- Nothing to write home to at all. I'd say its better than most other lighter marco beers...but that's not saying much either.

3.72/5  rDev +47%

A- Light yellow appearance. Nice head.

S- Not a fan...but I'm not a huge fan of standard PBR smell. Even with low alcohol it seems to have a strong alcohol scent.

T- Not too far off from standard PBR...quite good for a light beer. A bit more of a tinny aftertaste.

M- Lots of carbonation. Can definitely tell it's a PBR.

D- Goes down VERY easily.

2.6/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance - Nice size head but leaves quick. Clear yellow color.

Smell - Lots of hop smell but not in a very good way.

Taste - Thin watery with a minor hop flavor. Crisp and clean.

Mouthfeel - Thin and light on the tongue.

Drinkability - Pabst light is not as good as Pabst. Not it is great beer but my uncle was a Pabst truck driver in Minnesota. So i am a fan since the first 10 years of my life it was the smell of daddy's kisses he he he

2.77/5  rDev +9.5%

A: The pour is an extremely light yellow/gold color with an initially fluffy white head. That head dies down quickly.

S: The smell is sweet, mostly of corn and grain. There isn't much in the way of hops, if anything. There's still something "off" about it, though.

T: The taste is quite similar to the nose. The beer is sweet, light, and crisp. The flavor is still lacking in hops, but also is missing the off-putting qualities of the nose.

M: Light, thing bodied, and highly carbonated.

D: Not quite as good as "regular" PBR, but certainly not the worst light lager I've ever had. It's something you'd consider on a hot summer day when you're out and about, but definitely not something I'd reach for routinely.

3.25/5  rDev +28.5%

CAN you believe it?!? The CANQuest continues and I am finding new CANs more and more frequently. I scored this up in Providence, RI on Sunday while coming home from the Maine Brewers' Festival in Portland.

I got a finger's worth of rocky, bubbly bone-white head with low retention. Color was a very light golden-yellow with lots of fizzy bubbles and NE-quality clarity. Nose was lightly sweet with a light cereal/adjunct quality. Mouthfeel was medium with a slight taste of apple cider. Not bad and actually tending towards dry. I was not really happy with the effervescence of the finish, however. It was so spritzy that it killed what little taste I had experienced on the tongue. Still in all, not bad for a macro light lager.

1.8/5  rDev -28.9%

Throw back brews, trendy hipster canned PBR does well. But why do they have to make every varietal of the same beer? Fizzy yellow beer, pale pissy golden or apple juice if you wanna be PG about it. Minimal specks of lacing left after the bright egg shell white head fades, oh so quickly. Aroma has cooked veggies and cereal notes going down efficiently enough to be classified as an industrial lager. No reason to go for this brew but for 5.99 a 12 pack of cans I had to grab it. Now I have something in my fridge to offer the folks who couldn't give a shit about my beloved micros. Don't get me wrong I still try to convert but this is a better alternative then them clearing out my DBF. Flavor is pretty much a watered down slightly metallic cooked veggies in this case corn and rice show up hard core. No real hop flow but I wasn't expecting one, I still can enjoy a PBR with the best of 'em but this one leaves much to be desired. Mouthfeel is carbonated water, carbonation levels a bit much will bring the Barney belches in no time. Drinkability overall could be pretty wreckless, but I'm not in the mood for a White Trash Wednesday party like I would have been back in college.

3.3/5  rDev +30.4%

Presentation: Typical PBR can...but light...I didn't even know they made this!

Appearance: Light gold beer, minimal white cap

Smell: VERY light, sweet graininess, nothing else

Taste: VERY light graininess, very clean, crisp, and actually not nearly as bad as I thought for a light lager

Mouthfeel: Ultra light

Drinkability: Very high

Conclusion: Not much taste, but what's there is above average for a macro light lager...highly quaffable ice-cold on a hot day

2.58/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can.

Smells like the original. PBR.

Taste is of light grains. Cooked corn. Nothing really astringent, or out of place. Then again, not much there in the first place.

Mouthfeel is slick and fizzy.

Drinks like water. A bit better than water, since it contains beer like ingrediants. Drank side by side with Pabst Ice. This one drinks easier.

3.36/5  rDev +32.8%

Very light yellow body, crystal clear, initial big head fades to nothing.

Sweet malt and metal aroma.

Almost no flavor, watered-down sweet malt is all. Popcorn aftertaste.

Highly carbonated, very drying.

All in all, if you need a lawnmowing beer, you can't go wrong here.

3.24/5  rDev +28.1%

A- Pours the palest of yellows into my mug. Large head disappears quickly. Pretty standard light lager look.
S- Smells like a farm. Corn, grain and that dreaded metallic smell. The smell isn't as bad or offensive as many light lagers.
T- Tastes like it smells. Just like a bowl of liquified cereal with a slight metal "off" taste. Maybe a little better than the average light lager.
M- Watery, as to be expected. Carbonation is decent. Leaves a not great sticky feeling.
D- For what it is it is great. My favorite light lager. Better for grill-outs with non-craft drinkers than bmc products. This one has more positive aspects and less artificial/adjuct/metal taste.

2.21/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light gold color with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a decent lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is bready, watery and a little sweet with the flavors of adjuncts, grain and barley. There's a very mild hops presence that brings a little balance. The after-taste is faint but slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, very light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily because there isn't much to it, not filling at all, mild kick, this is your stereo-typical light beer, it's very poundable but only because there's so little substance.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »