Old Milwaukee Light - Pabst Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

Light Lager |  3.88% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-12-2001)
View: Beers (58) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Milwaukee Light Alström Bros
Vito

Old Milwaukee Light, winner of the 2008 World Beer Cup gold medal, American Light Lager category.

Appearance: Beautiful, like a supermodel.

Smell: Crisp and clean, no funky smells, everything is OK.

Taste: Crisp, clean, no off-flavors. I can't detect the heavy cheap corn ingredients of regular Old Milwaukee. This tastes better than ANY of the light beers made by Bud, Coors, or Miller. The good folks at Old Milwaukee Inc. really nailed the light brew recipe here.

Mouthfeel: Brisk and fizzy, high carbonation, like an ice-cold can of Hamm's.

Drinkability: Five points, that's for sure.

Overall: Old Milwaukee Light is the best light brew on the market. Why pay more, when you can get the best for less?

09-29-2009 03:59:16 | More by Vito
Adam2200

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +95.2%

this beer i have known since I was a child. I grew up with ti=his beer and I will die with tis beer. the taste is very good compares with other lagers in this field the drinkability is as always quick to down in an instant. The taste is very good in a premium lager. I reammend this beer to many others to try.

02-27-2008 04:14:59 | More by Adam2200
Mtooman

4.75/5  rDev +89.2%

05-22-2013 00:37:34 | More by Mtooman
bigboyroy

4.45/5  rDev +77.3%

Nothing like a can of fresh toilet water to make your day shine but to be serious I have had many great times hanging with friends while drinking this beer so out of respect for old mil light and all the great times and memories I have been given I wanted to give this beer a good review.

04-17-2014 06:02:14 | More by bigboyroy
AdaDiaz

4.13/5  rDev +64.5%

I tasted this beer and the flavor and taste are just awesome. But I search for light beer for my grandfather. I like its smell. Hope you can help me in my search "lists":http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-best-tasting-light-beers .

09-24-2012 11:12:53 | More by AdaDiaz
zombiecrat

Nebraska

4.01/5  rDev +59.8%

Drank straight out of the can. FIRST REVIEW!!!

A: I've poured it before and the beer is very piss yellow with a decent short lasting head.

S: My beer smell abilities are not great but to me this smells like opening a can of sweet corn and taking a big whiff.

T: The first thing I taste is the familiar macro brew corn taste with a hint club soda. The middle of the taste has a bit of caramel and hops but it's very low key. The beer finishes with a clean trip back to the club soda and corn flavors.

M: Very clean and crisp. Perfect for humid summer nights and consumed in mass quantities.

D: This beer is one of my go-to lazy night on the couch beers. It's no craft beer and is priced as such, but it is great at giving you what you expect to get in a light, cheap macro brew. It goes down easy and leaves little to no after taste. I do prefer a nice craft beer but when the funds are low and the mouth just wants old fashioned dad-type lawnmowing beer, Old Mud will do the trick!

07-17-2013 07:46:06 | More by zombiecrat

12-18-2013 00:34:41 | More by richmarkle
rangerred

Tennessee

3.93/5  rDev +56.6%

Drank straight out of the can.

No appearance this time but I've poured this beer before and it is a light yellow typical of light lagers.

The smell is light corn and grain and I swear I smell a little bit of hops in there.

Taste is much like the smell. A light cereal grain with just a hint of corn on the back end. There is very little hop presence but it is there a tiny bit. The finish is completely clean and leaves you wanting another drink.

A friend turned me onto this beer and I'm very glad he did. It is a step above other mass produced light lagers and is one of the best values out there.

11-01-2011 22:09:07 | More by rangerred
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.88/5  rDev +54.6%

Old Milwaukee Light has a thick, stark-white head, a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, and a surprisingly good amount of residual lacing. The aroma is faint sweetness and grain, and the flavor is the same, and it has almost no hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Old Milwaukee Light finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, dry, and ultra drinkable. Overall, for what it is, it's a very good beer.

RJT

09-30-2012 18:45:54 | More by RonaldTheriot
PapillonJohn

3.85/5  rDev +53.4%

Consumed from the can on 5/2/2011

My dad use to drink regular Old Milwaukee back in the 90s when I was but a young lad. I stopped at my local distributor; Armstrong Distributors in Kittanning, PA to pick up a case. I had it over the summer but did not remember much about it. When I got there, I decided to just go ahead for the Old Milwaukee Light.

Appearance: It's a light beer, you know? I didn't really pour too much out, just enough to get a color and good smell. This is a can beer, made to be consumed by the can. It's just one of those beers.

Smell: Not too shabby. The smooth smell of malts, creamed corn, a whiff of alcohol and a bit of lemony hops.

Taste: A little bit of malt up front with a quick shot of creamed corn and other adjunct...rice? Follows through with a bit of a lemony hop twang and finished very, very clean and a bit dry. I like it. Very good for a light beer.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, but not so much a bad thing. can burn the tongue a bit. A very light beer, crisp going down.

Overall this is THE best light beer I have ever had. I am not going to just rate this as a premium, or craft beer because it's unfair and fails the test. I reviewed this compared to others for what it is, a light beer. I can say that If I am ever in a light beer mood I will gladly seek and buy this one again.

05-04-2011 15:02:58 | More by PapillonJohn
syrupjoe

3.8/5  rDev +51.4%

12oz can into pint glass.

Pours a pale straw color with an almost perfectly white one finger head. No particulates, clear as crystal.

Not going to take a typical review format with this one because there's not much to it... adjuncts, a light amount of hops, and some malted barley. In a great combination though. This is my go-to light beer. It's well balanced and actually offers hints of flavor compared to its competitors. Not tinny or metallic like lots of other beers of this caliber. Enjoyable for what it is.

11-22-2011 05:40:45 | More by syrupjoe
Jason

3.78/5  rDev +50.6%

Presentation: 12 oz can, no freshness date. I love the boasting on the can; 1999 GABF Gold medal winner … America’s Best Tasting Light Beer.

Appearance: Translucent very pale yellow, perfect clarity with a minimal yet sticky lace on top.

Smell: Very clean nose with hints of grain and a smidgen of hops.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Super smooth with a spot on crispness, watery malt and cereal grain flavour. Very little hops at all, just a small amount of bitterness and not flavour. Very clean on the palate with little to no off flavours … I could not detect any. Clean and dry.

Notes: This is what a light beer is supposed to be, If I was a light beer drinker this is the one I would go for time and time again.

08-12-2003 22:15:32 | More by Jason

3.75/5  rDev +49.4%

04-21-2013 03:04:59 | More by Mister_Falcon
OHJoel

3.65/5  rDev +45.4%

My new domestic light lager of choice. Why spend a few bucks more a 12-er when Old Milwaukee tastes just as good? Like most macro drinkers, I had to overcome a certain stereotypical view of Old Milwaukee (and its association to Milwaukee's Best, which I've always cowered at the thought of), but have come around to see that this beer is every bit as good as the light beers from Bud, Miller and Coors.
Most light beer drinkers don't particularly care about mouthfeel and appearance, although Old Mil is at the top of the class in all these categories. It's light, crisp and minus the skunky taste which permeates some cheaper lagers.
If you go into a can of it expecting it to taste like your favorite pale ale, well, you're not gonna like it. If you just want a refreshing, easy-drinking light lager that is light on the billfold, I think you've found your new beer.

07-28-2008 22:52:33 | More by OHJoel

MaddDogg84

02-04-2012 02:23:00 | More by MaddDogg84
tgbljb

3.45/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a pale golden color with moderate white puffy head.
Smell is light with some faint sweet notes.
Taste is also light with litlle taste , but very refreshing when ice cold. Less so as it warms.
Light finish with litlle taste retention.
A refreshing light beer. With the low alcohol you could pound a number of these.

12-15-2006 01:14:25 | More by tgbljb
samyoung

3.45/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Picked up a case at Meijer in Brighton, MI on the road trip back to Brooklyn. We enjoyed many a can on New Year's Eve 2010.

A - Very, very pale yellow...to be expected
S - Nice hoppy-wheat smell.
T - Stale grain taste up front that slowly dissipates into nothingness.
M - Not much.
D - Had about four in really fast succession.

01-14-2011 23:44:25 | More by samyoung
Hergestridge

3.43/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Old Milwaukee Light... A very long time ago, the Stroh Brewery used to own Old Milwaukee... When Stroh chose to compete with the Bud and Miller breweries, they chose to make Stroh's a Premium style lager.. and put it in Funky Blue cans to symbolize the upgrade to sudsy royalty.. Bad plan. Bad Beer.. Great company basically gone.. sigh.. Well for the old formula.. from my taste-bud perspective, OM took on the Golden Canned Brew's persona.. And I still love this light lager.. To me, this is the real Stroh Beer!! God Bless Bernhard Stroh.. my hero and great-great-Great Uncle.. (well.. maybe not..).. but OM is the Stroh I used to drink in the last century..
Amen to Beer!!!
Carry On Citizens!!!
sMc

10-08-2013 23:37:15 | More by Hergestridge
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.4/5  rDev +35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

"America's best tasting beer" well that's what is says on the can...World beer cup gold winner in 2008 for American style light lager...really it's a good light beer. Pours a fizzy yellow color, with white head that dwindles quickly. Flavor wise there isn't anything wrong with this beer, especially when served cold. Smell is some cooked veggies with even a hint of herbal hop notes, really vintage old school beer like this isn't bad compared to the masses it's just as good or better. Plus a 12 pack of this runs $6.49 since that is rediculously cheap, it's a bonus to this light lager. Mouthfeel is light bodied sturdy carbonation nothing exciting but it's cold and wet. Overall an affordable good beer that's good for beer geeks to try to appreciate what we have in craft beer and have an option amongst bigger brewers to justify not drinking BMC.

11-08-2011 22:05:15 | More by WVbeergeek
powoo19

3.38/5  rDev +34.7%

Brought to me during my BAd Beer Festival as one of the bad beers, I had to try it. The can states outright that it won the Best American light Beer in 1999. So this was not going to be any PBR (best beer of 1889 or something.)
Anyway, I hate can beer but when cracked, it smelled average..Nothing bad. Served extra cold it is a smooth light, light beer. It isn't as weak as Bud Lite and leaves a very clean after-taste
. I liked this but I am sure if it sits too long, it must taste a bit rank.
Not bad for a "BAd Beer"