Blatz Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 200 | Reviews: 83
Reviews by A60sburnout:
1.5/5  rDev -37.2%

one of my first beers, and now looking back, it was bad back then, and in today's standards terrible.

1.86/5  rDev -22.2%

Typical,light gold color, small quick disappearing head, sour corn aroma, quick blast of sweet adjunct taste, then its gone and it becomes seltzer. Plus points for being refreshing and not tasting vile, better than the lights out there. Cheap and getting harder to find.

2.82/5  rDev +18%

I picked this up because it was the cheapest beer on the shelf. It certainly isn't the worst, though. It looks like common fizzy yellow beer. My wife commented that it doesn't look like beer. She is used to seeing better beer. Hops are more noticeable than I've come to expect from Pabst. It is much more balanced than PBR. The mouthfeel is light and watery with lots of fizz. It finishes with a brief, but strong hint of apple. Overall, while I'm not a huge fan of the style, I'd have to say I have a new favorite American macro lager. Very drinkable. If the intention is to get drunk, this is the ideal beer. If the intention is to enjoy some good beer, look elsewhere.

3.49/5  rDev +46%

Poured from a can into my favorite PBR goblet.

A= Very pale yellow pour, looks a little more reasonable in the glass. 1 finger head that dissapates within a minute. Very few carbination bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass

S= All I can smell is corn in this one, corn smell is stronger as the beer warms.

T= Tasted better than I expected from the name. goes down fairly smooth without the offensive finish i've discovered in so many modern macros brews. slightly dry finish, that doesn't linger on the palatte.

M= I found this brew pleasantly fizzy. seems to have the density of a light beer without a heavy feel.

D= I'm on the 5th one out of the 6 pack I picked up and I've enjoyed every one. I would drink this beer again.

3.3/5  rDev +38.1%

Hey Blatz beer, all super clear and super straw yellow. Aroma of the faintest degree of downtown Milwaukee.

Taste, no hops, malt was warmed, nowhere near roasted, but a yummy sweet presence with the corn does the trick in this guy. Great fishing beer in Northern Wisconsin. Goes down super easy, nothing more to think about, decent price, though slightly rising.

1.78/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured a very pale yellow color with quite a bit of fluffy white head on it. Smell is a little funky. Could definitely be better. Taste is pretty bland, kind of skunky with a weird aftertaste. Very light mouthfeel. Overall not a good tasting beer but it's cheap so it's got that going for it.

2.68/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

How could I resist? I haven't had much cheap mass produced beer since returning from Brazil, so how could i resist this beer that I have never seen before in all of it's 6 bucks for a 15 pack glory? It chilled nicely in my small dbf as I trembled with anticipation... No, let's not call that anticipation, let's call it fear. I finally popped on open and poured it calmly into my pils glass. No surprise on the color; straw yellow, but it sported a nice 2 finger white head that was not full of huge soapy looking bubbles. There is a faint grain nose. Taste has some sweet malts and hints of cereals, not offensive. Plus, I consumed this at about 40 - 45 degrees. I was surprised that I couldn't pick up many off flavors. I might keep this one on hand for when i have friends over. Certainly cheaper than giving out any of my prized possesions. (selfish, i know)

2.59/5  rDev +8.4%

Yellow colored with a foamy white head that shows some longevity.
Nose is generally vacant, with some grain alcohol and vegetable fumes.
Taste is all honey-touched creamed corn, raw grain, and the fizzy bitterness of seltzer-water. Clearly heavily adjuncted, but there seems to be a bit of bargain-basement harmony here. Not oversweet, and not entirely bland either, despite the general lack of malt or hops. It's thin and fizzy, and style-wise exactly what you'd expect.
For a lower-rung macro brew, it's fair enough.

First beer I ever had. Almost the last.

2.8/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A fine vacation brew, nice malty aroma, understated grain aroma and taste. What really struck me, however, is the creamy mouthfeel. Hell, I had several, and was very impressed with the smoothness, the creamy taste/feel and the sweet aftertaste. Very nice for a bad macro.

3.53/5  rDev +47.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Blatz Beer is a great drinking beer. This brew has an ABV of 4.90% The brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. Blatz is brew I get ,when I want something old school. The smell is rich with flavor, you pick up on, grains and malts. There is hit of hops in this brew. Blatz is your typical American Style lager beer. Not saying that is a bad thing. The taste is light , but bold with flavor. This brew has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about Blatz. This beer in my opinion this brew has fallen off the wagon if you will. Blatz is hard to find in stores. Has the taste and smell is an american classic, the way brew should taste. The mouthfeel is nice, smooth and bold. Overall I'm giving Blatz a 3.50 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.

2.9/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Update (11/13/11): Using a Perfect Pint, I was able to get the head to reach three fingers for about a minute. Flavor is a bit more present than before, so I'm bumping up appearance to 2.5 and taste to 3.5, as it is better than old school stablemate Schlitz and close to Hamm's.

A few years back, I recall being able to get $2 bottles of Blatz at a chic bar downtown...prompting me to revisit Blatz. Having not being able to locate any bottles, I picked up a 12-pack of cans for $6.99 at Woodman's the other evening.

A=Really awful, light, greenish yellow...not at all appetizing. One finger of foam lasted 30 seconds, tops.

S=Not much nose to speak of...maybe corn.

T=Not the flavor I recall...the corn presence came out, and this is much more of a cream lager (if there is such a thing). Sweetness abounds, but more hops than barley presence.

M=Watery, not much too it.

O=Not awful, but not one I'll likely buy again...even in bottles.

2.22/5  rDev -7.1%

OK...the head (or lack of) in pretty much a non factor. The 3mm of foam evaporates before you set the can down after pouring it into glass.

The smell is like that of any cheap commercial beer we all drank in our college days.

The taste....not all that horrible for what it is really. It has more flavor than a lot of the ghetto brews out there. If I get real poor...I'd probably pick this over the other budget beers out there.

3.06/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Three "pint" mugs in rapid succession at Miller's Pub.

Crystal clear, pale yellow, feeble head, visible carbonation.

Skunky aroma at first, sulfur, corn... ehhh. Nothing too exciting going on here. At least it's reined in and somewhat passable...as long as it's super cold. The skunk seemed to fade after a little while.

Flavor is similarly average, dry with the barest indication of bready malt and some minimal white grape. Sort of crisp, not that offensive really. Not getting much in the way of hops, but that seems to lend to the whole "inoffensive" thing. Somewhat watery and gassy, yet it dries up on the palate quickly. Pretty bland, but it gets the job done. I'd proudly drink this over Old Style. There, I said it.

2.83/5  rDev +18.4%

Had on-tap at the one-and-only Wolski's in Milwaukee, WI. Cheapest beer per pitcher, so we were looking forward to getting "Blatz-ted" on something cheap. With all of the offerings that Milwaukee has to offer, this one's pretty low (lowest?), so no high expectations. To be honest, it wasn't too terrible, with good drinkability, not to mention a ridiculous name. Not so fun- the hangover this thing causes is no joke

3.05/5  rDev +27.6%

Appearance:
This translucent, pale-gold beer forms a lot of head very quickly (~2 fingers). However, the retention is minimal, as it dissipates very quickly (~1/2 fingers) and leaves little lacing. There is plenty of quickly-rising carbonation.

Smell:
The aroma is overwhelmingly grainy with hoppy and metallic accents. I suppose this is what you would expect from your average American Adjunct Lager, though the sweetness and metallic character are not overpowering.

Taste:
The beer matches the nose pretty well, but the flavor is a bit "sweeter" than the smell would have you believe. It's largely grainy, with a little bit of hop character and minimal maltiness.

Mouthfeel:
This is definately on the lighter end of the density spectrum, so I will label the body as "light" for my purposes. In the aftertaste, there is a bit of a dry sweetness. The finish doesn't turn you away, but it does just (barely) enough to keep you interested.

Drinkability:
If this beer has a characteristic to laud, then this is it. With a light body and little flavor to savor/enjoy, it's quite easy to just pound Blatz after Blatz. This is a beer best enjoyed cold, as the temperature increase doesn't reveal any flavors worth discovering.

Summary:
I picked up a 12 pack of this while on vacation in central Wisconsin. My dad remembered when his friends' fathers used to drink this stuff when he was younger, so we decided to pick up something cheap to use for the bratwurst. As my review will suggest, there really isn't a whole lot "going" for this beer. However, when compared to some modern macros, I would rather drink this stuff. It tastes a bit better and it's pretty cheap; I think the 12 pack was ~$5.50 or so. I wouldn't go out of my way to try this, but if you're looking for somenthing to drink on a hot day, then I would suggest trying this over most modern macros.

2.87/5  rDev +20.1%

Hard to find in C-bus but found a 15 pack at a Krogers, and decided to give it a shot. I was honestly surprised by it. In my opinion it's better than the big macros on the market and a hell of a lot cheaper.

A: Light pale yellow with a head that dissipated in seconds
S: Smells of grain and corn
T: What the style should be. Easy to drink slightly sweet with a corn taste in the finish.
M: Heavily carbonated but not overly harsh
D: Easily put down a few after a hard day

2.76/5  rDev +15.5%

Best beer for the money. For $4.50 a 12 pack it can't be beat.
A - Looks like budweiser. Head disapears quickly, but when you're poor who cares about the head. The gold/brown can is pretty cheap though.
S - Not any worse than Budweiser, unless Bud is in a bottle.
T - Not the best, aluminum barley. After a few it starts to gain on you.
M - No complaints for a cheap beer.
D - Very good drinkability, especially after 5 or so.
Hangoverability - Very good. McDonalds never tasted so good.

3.17/5  rDev +32.6%

Appearance - Pale yellow. Clear and bubbly. Short and short-lived white fizzy head.

Smell - Moderately strong sweet pale malt. Corn.

Taste - Somewhat sharper than usual, but light, pale malt sweetness. Lemony and watery. Light and refreshing, but hardly distinctive.

Mouthfeel - Watery and crisp.

Overall - One could easily spend more on a worse beer. An adequate beer for the style.

2.99/5  rDev +25.1%

12 ounce can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It is light straw colored with plenty of carbonation rising from the laser etchings in the bottom of the glass. It is capped with about three inches of white head.

S - The aroma is sweet grain and lemon grass.

T - I used to think this beer tasted like shit. Now I find it lacking in flavor. It has slightly more taste than a Bud. It almost reminds me of a PBR.

M - Thin

O - This is a cheap beer with little taste. The only reason it is unpopular with college kids is marketing.

3.73/5  rDev +56.1%

Blatz has a thick, white head and a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, with minimal associated lacing. The aroma is of sweet, musty grains, and the flavor is of grass, sweet grain, and a touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Blatz finishes crisp and dry. Overall, this is very good, and I recommend giving it a try.

RJT

2.73/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a sweet husky grain with hints of cooked corn.

The taste consisted of a light grainy malt, some sweet corn and a smattering of flowery hop. Overall clean and light.

The mouthfeel was light with a slight slickness.

Overall a good and drinkable macro. Nothing great here, but a nice alternative to the big boys. Thanks to czoch75.

2.48/5  rDev +3.8%

Clear yellow with a steady stream of rising bubbles and a snow white head that actually leaves some lace behind on the glass. Untoasted grain, grits and a touch of grain alcohol make up the nose. This brew is pretty lacking in the flavor department, raw musty graininess with a touch of honeyed sweetness. Light and fizzy, finishes squeaky clean. Blatz is a pretty lousy beer but not any worse than the most popular macro lagers out there.

3.53/5  rDev +47.7%

Pours a golden yellow typical macro lager color. Full white head with good retention and nice lacing.

Smells again like a typical macro lager. Grainy and a bit metallically.

Good taste. One of the finest macro lagers. Clean, crisp with sweet corn flavors.

Smooth in the mouth, light and well carbonated.

If you want something light this is a great beer. Nice flavor. I'll admit I have a soft spot for this beer and it may not be everyone's cup of tea but give it a shot. Especially if you can find the long necks with the real bottle top before they move to the twist-off type (which is rumored to be soon).

3.13/5  rDev +31%