Blatz Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Blatz BeerBlatz Beer

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-11-2002)
Reviews by crashdavisinoh:

3.5/5  rDev +47.1%

1.88/5  rDev -21%

Typical,light gold color, small quick disappearing head, sour corn aroma, quick blast of sweet adjunct taste, then its gone and it becomes seltzer. Plus points for being refreshing and not tasting vile, better than the lights out there. Cheap and getting harder to find.

2.88/5  rDev +21%

I picked this up because it was the cheapest beer on the shelf. It certainly isn't the worst, though. It looks like common fizzy yellow beer. My wife commented that it doesn't look like beer. She is used to seeing better beer. Hops are more noticeable than I've come to expect from Pabst. It is much more balanced than PBR. The mouthfeel is light and watery with lots of fizz. It finishes with a brief, but strong hint of apple. Overall, while I'm not a huge fan of the style, I'd have to say I have a new favorite American macro lager. Very drinkable. If the intention is to get drunk, this is the ideal beer. If the intention is to enjoy some good beer, look elsewhere.

1.5/5  rDev -37%

3.53/5  rDev +48.3%

Poured from a can into my favorite PBR goblet.

A= Very pale yellow pour, looks a little more reasonable in the glass. 1 finger head that dissapates within a minute. Very few carbination bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass

S= All I can smell is corn in this one, corn smell is stronger as the beer warms.

T= Tasted better than I expected from the name. goes down fairly smooth without the offensive finish i've discovered in so many modern macros brews. slightly dry finish, that doesn't linger on the palatte.

M= I found this brew pleasantly fizzy. seems to have the density of a light beer without a heavy feel.

D= I'm on the 5th one out of the 6 pack I picked up and I've enjoyed every one. I would drink this beer again.

3.33/5  rDev +39.9%

Hey Blatz beer, all super clear and super straw yellow. Aroma of the faintest degree of downtown Milwaukee.

Taste, no hops, malt was warmed, nowhere near roasted, but a yummy sweet presence with the corn does the trick in this guy. Great fishing beer in Northern Wisconsin. Goes down super easy, nothing more to think about, decent price, though slightly rising.

2.25/5  rDev -5.5%

2.25/5  rDev -5.5%

1.78/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured a very pale yellow color with quite a bit of fluffy white head on it. Smell is a little funky. Could definitely be better. Taste is pretty bland, kind of skunky with a weird aftertaste. Very light mouthfeel. Overall not a good tasting beer but it's cheap so it's got that going for it.

2.7/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

How could I resist? I haven't had much cheap mass produced beer since returning from Brazil, so how could i resist this beer that I have never seen before in all of it's 6 bucks for a 15 pack glory? It chilled nicely in my small dbf as I trembled with anticipation... No, let's not call that anticipation, let's call it fear. I finally popped on open and poured it calmly into my pils glass. No surprise on the color; straw yellow, but it sported a nice 2 finger white head that was not full of huge soapy looking bubbles. There is a faint grain nose. Taste has some sweet malts and hints of cereals, not offensive. Plus, I consumed this at about 40 - 45 degrees. I was surprised that I couldn't pick up many off flavors. I might keep this one on hand for when i have friends over. Certainly cheaper than giving out any of my prized possesions. (selfish, i know)

2.6/5  rDev +9.2%

Yellow colored with a foamy white head that shows some longevity.
Nose is generally vacant, with some grain alcohol and vegetable fumes.
Taste is all honey-touched creamed corn, raw grain, and the fizzy bitterness of seltzer-water. Clearly heavily adjuncted, but there seems to be a bit of bargain-basement harmony here. Not oversweet, and not entirely bland either, despite the general lack of malt or hops. It's thin and fizzy, and style-wise exactly what you'd expect.
For a lower-rung macro brew, it's fair enough.

2.8/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A fine vacation brew, nice malty aroma, understated grain aroma and taste. What really struck me, however, is the creamy mouthfeel. Hell, I had several, and was very impressed with the smoothness, the creamy taste/feel and the sweet aftertaste. Very nice for a bad macro.

2.75/5  rDev +15.5%

3.43/5  rDev +44.1%

Blatz Beer is a great drinking beer. When i want something old school i go and get this. It is your typical American Style lager beer. This beer in my opinion has fallen off the wagon if you will. Hard to find only one store carries it. Has the taste and smell of that style of beer. The color is a nice amber color. Over all I gave this beer a 3.25.

2.76/5  rDev +16%

2.95/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Update (11/13/11): Using a Perfect Pint, I was able to get the head to reach three fingers for about a minute. Flavor is a bit more present than before, so I'm bumping up appearance to 2.5 and taste to 3.5, as it is better than old school stablemate Schlitz and close to Hamm's.

A few years back, I recall being able to get $2 bottles of Blatz at a chic bar downtown...prompting me to revisit Blatz. Having not being able to locate any bottles, I picked up a 12-pack of cans for $6.99 at Woodman's the other evening.

A=Really awful, light, greenish yellow...not at all appetizing. One finger of foam lasted 30 seconds, tops.

S=Not much nose to speak of...maybe corn.

T=Not the flavor I recall...the corn presence came out, and this is much more of a cream lager (if there is such a thing). Sweetness abounds, but more hops than barley presence.

M=Watery, not much too it.

O=Not awful, but not one I'll likely buy again...even in bottles.

1.75/5  rDev -26.5%

2.2/5  rDev -7.6%

OK...the head (or lack of) in pretty much a non factor. The 3mm of foam evaporates before you set the can down after pouring it into glass.

The smell is like that of any cheap commercial beer we all drank in our college days.

The taste....not all that horrible for what it is really. It has more flavor than a lot of the ghetto brews out there. If I get real poor...I'd probably pick this over the other budget beers out there.

Blatz Beer from Pabst Brewing Company