Blatz Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-11-2002

4.14/5  rDev +62.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This is a really good beer for the price.

Light, pale straw color, plenty of carbonation. Quickly dissipating head.

Smells mostly of malts, but also you can really smell the hops.

It has a very malty taste and some delicious hops follow. Very carbonated, but that gives it a crisp taste.

Crisply carbonated, light and tingly. Refreshing.

This is a good beer. A lot of people might pass it up by looking at the price and the name and even review it based on that, but don't turn your nose to this stuff and give it an honest taste. You can't judge a book by it's cover.

3.95/5  rDev +54.9%

12 oz can poured into a glass. This beer pours a straw like color with a fizzy white head that quickly disappears. The taste is a little better than your typical macro. By far my favorite "cheap beer" I'll take this over a Bud or Miller anyday.

3.73/5  rDev +46.3%

Blatz has a thick, white head and a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, with minimal associated lacing. The aroma is of sweet, musty grains, and the flavor is of grass, sweet grain, and a touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Blatz finishes crisp and dry. Overall, this is very good, and I recommend giving it a try.

3.67/5  rDev +43.9%

Found a place in Rhinelander Wisconsin that sells Blatz cases in Bottles. Decided to buy this retro in give it a try. I was very surprised at how good it was out of the bottle. In fact we still had some of the Schlitz 60's that everyone is raving about (myself included)formula beer so we decided to do a blind taste test. To our surprise the 2 beers were almost identical, with the Blatz a little smoother, in the end the Blatz beat out the Schlitz, will keep this on my summer beer list.

3.65/5  rDev +43.1%

Served from a can into a pilsener glass.

I happen to love the can design.

Says: Established Milwaukee 1851
Brewed by G.Heileman Brewing Co.

Appearance: a light golden hue. Very little head is produced and what is, sticks around for only a minute.

Smell: Grainy. A little adjunct, almost no malt, and a tad bit of spicy hops.

Taste: Not too shabby actually. A little malt up front. A quick taste of cereal graininess and then the hops come in for a quick hit. The longer I let it sit and warm the more the floral hops show their presence. I'm quite impressed on the hops note. I'm a huge fan of hops and i'm glad to get a pretty mild hint of them in a cheap beer.

Mouthfeel: Mildly carbonated. Kind of like a light soda. Goes down very easy.

Overall I do enjoy Blatz. I can only compare it to Schlitz at this point. Better than any other macro out there.
I would recommend it if you were on a budget and truthfully I am. I will probably pick this up some time down the road again.

Schlitz may give you the shits. But i'm sure that Blatz will probably give me the shats.

3.6/5  rDev +41.2%

small head, gone rather quickly.

light amber color, cystal clear.

very light nose, some grain/corn.

light taste, smooth and dry. finished with minimal bitterness.

thinner than ice water in the mouth.

overall i would say for the price it was above average beer. i would buy it again and not be afraid to share it with friends.

3.53/5  rDev +38.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Blatz Beer is a great drinking beer. This brew has an ABV of 4.90% The brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. Blatz is brew I get ,when I want something old school. The smell is rich with flavor, you pick up on, grains and malts. There is hit of hops in this brew. Blatz is your typical American Style lager beer. Not saying that is a bad thing. The taste is light , but bold with flavor. This brew has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about Blatz. This beer in my opinion this brew has fallen off the wagon if you will. Blatz is hard to find in stores. Has the taste and smell is an american classic, the way brew should taste. The mouthfeel is nice, smooth and bold. Overall I'm giving Blatz a 3.50 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.

3.53/5  rDev +38.4%

Pours a golden yellow typical macro lager color. Full white head with good retention and nice lacing.

Smells again like a typical macro lager. Grainy and a bit metallically.

Good taste. One of the finest macro lagers. Clean, crisp with sweet corn flavors.

Smooth in the mouth, light and well carbonated.

If you want something light this is a great beer. Nice flavor. I'll admit I have a soft spot for this beer and it may not be everyone's cup of tea but give it a shot. Especially if you can find the long necks with the real bottle top before they move to the twist-off type (which is rumored to be soon).

3.5/5  rDev +37.3%

As a blast from the past, this was really a lot better than I expected.
Straight lager malt aroma that's less sweet than many others.
Pretty standard appearance, but the way it's suppose to be. Big full sturdy white head, gold-yellow and clear.
Light over all flavor, of course, but better balance of malt and hops than most, therefore less bitter with some pleasing dryness.
Feel is thin, smooth and thirst quenching. Somewhat soft and carbonation isn't excessive.
This is better than most from a macro brewery. Better balanced than most. Drink cold!

3.5/5  rDev +37.3%

Blatz. The official beer of Vintage Snowmobile riding. When its 10 below and you screaming across the lake at 30mph on a 40 year old snowmobile, Blatz is the beer for you. Another great throwback from G. Heilmann, keeping the memory of a bygone era where clear yellow lager was the ONLY choice alive. An american tradition and not a bad beer.

3.49/5  rDev +36.9%

Poured from a can into my favorite PBR goblet.

A= Very pale yellow pour, looks a little more reasonable in the glass. 1 finger head that dissapates within a minute. Very few carbination bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass

S= All I can smell is corn in this one, corn smell is stronger as the beer warms.

T= Tasted better than I expected from the name. goes down fairly smooth without the offensive finish i've discovered in so many modern macros brews. slightly dry finish, that doesn't linger on the palatte.

M= I found this brew pleasantly fizzy. seems to have the density of a light beer without a heavy feel.

D= I'm on the 5th one out of the 6 pack I picked up and I've enjoyed every one. I would drink this beer again.

3.48/5  rDev +36.5%

Until recently I did not think they still brewed this beer. Over the years I've collected Blatz momorbila for our rec room bar. When I discovered the beer was still brewed, I was disapointed it is not available in the Buffalo area. A friend from Wisconson sent me a six pack. Pours a very light golden, thin head,with moderate lace,and lots of bubbles. Smell is of light malt and yeast. Body is light, and carbonated. Taste is smooth and creamy,with a dry finish. This is a decent beer, though light. I would take it over Bud. Try one if you can find it.

3.43/5  rDev +34.5%

Whilst drinking some admittedly fantastic beer (Double Trouble, Panzer Wolf, Port Mongo) at Haymarket in Chicago, I suddenly spied this long-time 'want' of mine; jubilation ensued.

I used to have a Blatz t-shirt, and was also a fan of the East Bay punk band of the same name. I had never had a Blatz beer, however, until now.

The beer is basic fizzy adjunct lager, really. It has a bit more grainy sweetness than most, akin to Old Milwaukee in that regard, and is expectedly light and watery. There is an unusual creaminess to the feel, as if the bubbles are smaller than normal. For what it is, it is pretty good. I am crushing the whole can as an (effective) palate cleanser between hop-bomb DIPAs.

3.42/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Good Ol' Blatz. Blatz was the 1st beer I had ever purchased at drinking age. My dad said the family tavern carried 2 beers, Blatz, and Schlitz. Blatz was my hands down choice for many years, and many returnable bottles in the early 90's.

Bought a 24 pack of cans. Poured into my usual small lager stein. Light straw color, quickly dissipating head.

Aroma, peppery slightly sweet easy drinking classic beer smell.

Taste light, slightly bitter hint of hops, actually more hoppy than most big name American style lagers. Even as the beer warms the taste stays consistent, light, grassy, little sweetness, hops present.

Light on the tip of the tongue, then carbonation comes through on the back of the tongue.

This is my go to beer at my local go to bar. I love the old Blatz brown triangle label, wish they would go back to the white background. This is truly one of the best working class brews.

3.32/5  rDev +30.2%

Good easy to drink beer.

A lot like the 60's Schlitz (Both beers brewed by Pabst).

Looks a nice yellow color, smells like grain and corn (Not a bad smell) Taste is very Smooth, more sweet than bitter. VERY easy to drink. Slightly sweet aftertaste.

Bought a 15 pack of cans for 7 bucks, so very reasonably priced.

Not a GREAT beer, but a very GOOD beer.

3.3/5  rDev +29.4%

Hey Blatz beer, all super clear and super straw yellow. Aroma of the faintest degree of downtown Milwaukee.

Taste, no hops, malt was warmed, nowhere near roasted, but a yummy sweet presence with the corn does the trick in this guy. Great fishing beer in Northern Wisconsin. Goes down super easy, nothing more to think about, decent price, though slightly rising.

3.18/5  rDev +24.7%

I finally found this stuff after years of wondering what it tasted like. I remember as a kid seeing this odd named beer in stores.

It pours a suprisingly deep golden color (was expecting a more light beer light yellow color).

No smell.

It has a grainy sweet taste, with little to no hops or malt to speak of. As sweet a tasting beer as I've had.

Very smooth drinking, no off putting crazy flavors or bitterness. Considering what it is I'm fairly impressed at it's drinkability. Most of the beers in this category have at least one really horrible flavor that makes it undrinkable.

Pleasant suprise, even though I'd never seek it out again (too much good beer out there).

3.17/5  rDev +24.3%

Appearance - Pale yellow. Clear and bubbly. Short and short-lived white fizzy head.

Smell - Moderately strong sweet pale malt. Corn.

Taste - Somewhat sharper than usual, but light, pale malt sweetness. Lemony and watery. Light and refreshing, but hardly distinctive.

Mouthfeel - Watery and crisp.

Overall - One could easily spend more on a worse beer. An adequate beer for the style.

3.13/5  rDev +22.7%

It is thin with mediocre head retention and straw color. Smell of adjuncts. Lets face it, this is a cheap American lager, nothing more nothing less. Better taste an lower price than any of the products from MillerCoorsAnhueser. Similar to its sister beer PBR. Am I proud to drink it? Not really but I am proud to not waste money on mass marketed swill.

3.06/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Three "pint" mugs in rapid succession at Miller's Pub.

Crystal clear, pale yellow, feeble head, visible carbonation.

Skunky aroma at first, sulfur, corn... ehhh. Nothing too exciting going on here. At least it's reined in and somewhat passable...as long as it's super cold. The skunk seemed to fade after a little while.

Flavor is similarly average, dry with the barest indication of bready malt and some minimal white grape. Sort of crisp, not that offensive really. Not getting much in the way of hops, but that seems to lend to the whole "inoffensive" thing. Somewhat watery and gassy, yet it dries up on the palate quickly. Pretty bland, but it gets the job done. I'd proudly drink this over Old Style. There, I said it.

3.05/5  rDev +19.6%

This translucent, pale-gold beer forms a lot of head very quickly (~2 fingers). However, the retention is minimal, as it dissipates very quickly (~1/2 fingers) and leaves little lacing. There is plenty of quickly-rising carbonation.

The aroma is overwhelmingly grainy with hoppy and metallic accents. I suppose this is what you would expect from your average American Adjunct Lager, though the sweetness and metallic character are not overpowering.

The beer matches the nose pretty well, but the flavor is a bit "sweeter" than the smell would have you believe. It's largely grainy, with a little bit of hop character and minimal maltiness.

This is definately on the lighter end of the density spectrum, so I will label the body as "light" for my purposes. In the aftertaste, there is a bit of a dry sweetness. The finish doesn't turn you away, but it does just (barely) enough to keep you interested.

If this beer has a characteristic to laud, then this is it. With a light body and little flavor to savor/enjoy, it's quite easy to just pound Blatz after Blatz. This is a beer best enjoyed cold, as the temperature increase doesn't reveal any flavors worth discovering.

I picked up a 12 pack of this while on vacation in central Wisconsin. My dad remembered when his friends' fathers used to drink this stuff when he was younger, so we decided to pick up something cheap to use for the bratwurst. As my review will suggest, there really isn't a whole lot "going" for this beer. However, when compared to some modern macros, I would rather drink this stuff. It tastes a bit better and it's pretty cheap; I think the 12 pack was ~$5.50 or so. I wouldn't go out of my way to try this, but if you're looking for somenthing to drink on a hot day, then I would suggest trying this over most modern macros.

I'm revising my original assessment of Blatz having since that time sampled many more flavorful beers. However, I stand by the gist of my original post; specifically, provided that you get the beer fresh [at least 2 months away from the expiration date], you'll get a pleasant, mildly flavored beer which gives you unassuming but clean flavor. It's not a highly flavored beer, falling more into the mild camp; but, at least it tastes like a decent quality beer.

Note that Blatz is an American beer. That's significant. It's not a German pilsner, nor an Irish stout. And, it's a beer; not an ale. Coming to it expecting some molasses-thick, black gel with lethal hop levels is unrealistic. The worst thing about Blatz is that it lacks strong flavor, but it has more than some, and there's nothing wrong with being mild for those who prefer their beer as such.

2.99/5  rDev +17.3%

12 ounce can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It is light straw colored with plenty of carbonation rising from the laser etchings in the bottom of the glass. It is capped with about three inches of white head.

S - The aroma is sweet grain and lemon grass.

T - I used to think this beer tasted like shit. Now I find it lacking in flavor. It has slightly more taste than a Bud. It almost reminds me of a PBR.

M - Thin

O - This is a cheap beer with little taste. The only reason it is unpopular with college kids is marketing.

2.98/5  rDev +16.9%

A- Very pale straw yellow, one half finger head maintained by effervesence from below.

S- Mostly grainy sweetness, faint floral hop note is way in the background.

T- Light grainy sweetness is the main flavor start to finish. This is also augmented by notes of corn which become more evident as the beer warms. A very faint floral hop note towards the end serves to check the grainy malt, albeit barely.

M- Light and fizzy, the finish is a little watery.

D- Nothin special but I can put back a few.

One of the classics... for it's style anyway. Marginally better than the big names today. Plus it's just cool to drink "the beer that made Milwaukee famous"

2.96/5  rDev +16.1%

Blatz is a pretty straightforward beer with not much complexity. It certainly doesn't have a bad taste, but it is nothing too spectacular. It smells kinda funky, but not too off-putting. For it's price, however, Blatz is worthwhile. It is an easy-drinking cheap beer that is really a conversation starter when you roll up to a party or a social occasion with it due to its distinctive name and history.

Blatz Beer from Pabst Brewing Company