Blatz Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-11-2002

Appearance: Odd yellow color reminds me of weak urine. Foam is mediocre and non durable. Forgettable appearance, and this is probably the best part of this beer.

Smell: What smell? Apart from a slight odor (that might well have been the cat litter), there isn't much character to this brew.

Taste: Some fizz, some water, more water, food coloring, and perhaps some cigarette butts. Mix well. Add soap suds. Completely regrettable, but hardly forgettable for its sheer awfulness.

Mouthfeel: Water comes to mind, although water is smoother.

Drinkability: If there was a zero, I would score this beer. I gagged my way through one, and drained another. Even the drain complained about this beer.

I'm sorry -- I'm sure this beer has its fans out there, but to me, this was the single worst beer I've ever experienced. (818 characters)

Blatz
12 oz bottle
Medium pour in a shot glass
Recent brewing, splatzed 12/06

Poured a clear light yellow with an average fizzy quickly diminishing head.

Smelt of moderate cooked corn and metal.

Taste was upfront moderate sweet cooked corn and stale grain followed by crap. Palate was light bodied, watery to dry, fizzy, and grossly metallic.

Overall, it's cheap and the name is funny. If you think these are good points, then you are an underage easily susceptible underage drinker or a dimwit who shouldn't be reading this, not only by their ability to read, by by their lack of tastebuds. (606 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -49.1%

A: No head. Heavy carbonation. Pale-depressing yellowish.

S: Surprisingly only smells a little bit like malt. Reminds me of the inside of a macro-brewery.

T: Mildew, old canned corn.

M: Ultra carbonated with no other enjoyable aspects.

D: Didn't finish it. Not good. (270 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Reviewed from notes.

Straw yellow with a respectable looking foamy white head. Poor retention and not much lacing. Smells and tastes like grain and corn. Somewhat sweet and musty. Feels thin and watery. Not something I care to try again. (238 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Okay, Blatz is not much different then Schlitz and some of the others. If your into a cheap beer, I suppose you could do worse, but maybe try others before you decide, like Pabst and others. (191 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -36.3%

Man, this is some crappy beer. No head, little or no color, and the big suprise * POOR FLAVOR*! I couldn't tell if i was drinking tree bark, dog urine, or burned steak. In any case, i would say skip this stuff. Not one of the better Heilemann brews i'm afraid. (260 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured a very pale yellow color with quite a bit of fluffy white head on it. Smell is a little funky. Could definitely be better. Taste is pretty bland, kind of skunky with a weird aftertaste. Very light mouthfeel. Overall not a good tasting beer but it's cheap so it's got that going for it. (292 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -31.1%

A= Pours a very very pale yellow color. Super translucent. Really looks like a slightly colored water with a thin one finger head rising from it and lasting a little while as a thin sheet on top of the glass. No lacing is really here. Pretty average looking.
S= Like straight adjunct. Really you cant pick out a single malt or hop hint. It sort of smells like old fermented corn.
T= Just like the smell just old fermented corn sort of taste. An awful after taste on it. Not really describable I guess. Not good at all. It's got quite the watery taste. I've grown fond of certain adjunct lagers but this is pretty bad.
M= Really similar to water. Even the carbonation is low and watery.
D= I don't like this beer at all. I bought a 12 pack and this is the last one in it. Most were given away and after I had my first one stone cold sober I realized this is a beer I'll have to save for a drunken night. With one left I decided to review and it's not good. I can name at least 3 other beers for the same price if not cheaper that are 1000x better than this beer. I feel bad for not liking it but the taste is just off. Sorry. I don't like to bash even the worst beers but this one I don't understand. (1,199 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -30.3%

Typical,light gold color, small quick disappearing head, sour corn aroma, quick blast of sweet adjunct taste, then its gone and it becomes seltzer. Plus points for being refreshing and not tasting vile, better than the lights out there. Cheap and getting harder to find. (270 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -26.6%

Now this is really ironic, I had no intention no doing this! The ironic part is that at our church picnic this would be one of three beers for a long time.

Apperance: Poured 12 oz can into my mug, fast pour, 1 finger of foam appears then quickly disappears. Carbonation throughout, dark golden yellow color.

Smell: Like beer poured through steel. Not very pleasant. Also grains and alcohol in the smell.

Taste: Beer poured through steel, with a burger meaty taste. Doesn't have a grainy taste like other Pabst beers.

Mouthfeel: There is none! You drink it and it goes straight down. Also it tastes warm? If that sounds weird its like you have to slam it to stay cold?

Drink: Well if you like metal mixed with meat this beer is perfect for you. For the rest of us not so good. Two stories, then I'm done.

1) I used to drink this, Steel Reserve, and various bum wines (Thunderbird, Nightrain, MadDog) for a whole summer.

2) I hear that this beer was bigger than Bud, any truth to that? (996 characters)

24 pack of returnables set me back a whole $12.03. Clear straw color with a small, fast-fading head. Smells of grain, that's about it. Taste is of skunk and wheat, no pronounced malt or hops flavors, pretty watery and thin. This is just another get-drunk-at-the-ice-house-with-your-uncle beers. Don't waste your time with this stuff. (333 characters)

pours out a crystal clear very light straw colour with a fairly respectable head supported by some active carbonation. a little bit of lace to make things look good. adjunct nose...grainy and husky with a hint of corn. taste is reflection of the nose in that there is a lot of nothing going on except some seltzery diluted corn and husk notes with a whisper of hop bitterness. that's it. nothing else. the body is weak and spineless with a mouthfeel that resembles tonic water. drinkability suffers just for the fact that this "beer" doesn't make me want another one, and that's a rare feat.

just another macro brand brewed because of it's name and nostalgia and not any real quality behind the product. $14 for the case and i way overpaid. (741 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -24%

Update 4/14...Had another of these....this really is kind of bad....an off taste and a bad after taste...kind of tough to drink...dropped some numbers slightly...I'd now say this is a step below Busch, Old Mil, etc...

I got this for nostalgic sakes...I remember this at a lot of family gatherings in South Milwaukee, and Cudahy Wisconsin when I was a kid...my uncles used to always have this and Pabst and Schlitz....Back when they were all seperate regional breweries out of Milwaukee...now I'm not sure who is really brewing what and I doubt this is the same beer as back then but I'm rating it none-the-less.

Pours clear, light yellow...nose smells like Beer smelled like when you are a kid....then a sweeter adjunct laced aroma eminates from the glass...body is about medium for this style...starts a little fizzy and then settles down into a flatter mouthfeel...the taste is not bad...I expected worse....considerably better than something called "Blue Diamond" I found last year...this is definitely drinkable and would be worth a shot for the right price (say $8 a case)....Up here it's priced at about $13 a case which is too high...I finally found a place that sold sixers so I finally bought it...

Back to the taste....If Schlitz was the hoppier beer out of Milwaukee back then I'm guessing this was more of a sweeter, but lighter style beer...seems to slide down real easy...There are many beers worse than this..I was worried I was going to have to dumpo the rest of the sixer to rate this but I just poured a second...

This does have an "off "after taste but really this isn't bad, and like I said for the right price this would be appropriate in the right situation....Schlitz, High Life, and Pabst are better but this rates in there with Busch...Old Mil....etc....

If you've never had it, and you are into beer history you really should give it a try... (1,887 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -23.2%

Ugh, Blatz. A friend offered me a can of this while we were finishing changing the oil on my car. Can't even say it really quenched my thirst, other than being something cold.

Consumed straight out of the can. Cabonated and chalky mouthfeel. Aroma reeks of cheap beer: sweet, odd malt and grain scent. Flavor follows suit, yet is sweeter than I'd expect for a cheap lager. Everything about this beer is cheap. The price, quality and flavor. Not really recommended. Blatz, Schlitz, Hamms, Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best, they're all the same junk. (548 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -21.3%

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. pours a pale straw color with a half finger of loose white head that lasts a few seconds. no lacings.

aroma is lightly malty, with a grainy and metallic character. not well balanced.

taste is grainy, with a metallic and stale character. finishes with a stale aftertaste. not impressive.

mouthfeel is ultra light bodied with a sparkling texture and a less than smooth finish.

drinkability is not good. this brew could be refreshing after mowing the lawn, but there are much better macro lagers out there. easily passed up. (565 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -20.6%

Got a case of this for around $5. The best thing about Blatz is the appearance, which most people wouldn't notice given they don't pour it into a glass. Anyways, bright golden color with a larger creamy head. Head fades but the lacing is really nice. Smells of nothing, tastes of nothing. Very minimal in all regards. Easy to drink only because it's like water. A bit grainy and adjunct filled but really nothing. If you want a good cheap beer just get Schlitz. (461 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -16.9%

OK...the head (or lack of) in pretty much a non factor. The 3mm of foam evaporates before you set the can down after pouring it into glass.

The smell is like that of any cheap commercial beer we all drank in our college days.

The taste....not all that horrible for what it is really. It has more flavor than a lot of the ghetto brews out there. If I get real poor...I'd probably pick this over the other budget beers out there. (429 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Drank from the bottle so the appearance from what I remember is like every other american Macro Lager, pale piss yellow with no head. Taste is not to bad for a macro it does have that same corn taste but it is a bit malted as well. I rember drinking a few of these back in the college days and waking up with the worse hang over possible, that was my experience with this Blatz beer, I would avoid at all costs these days. (422 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -16.1%

OK, this beer is bad. I bought a case of Huber, and someone stuffed a Blatz in with the "good" stuff. I hadn't had it in years, now I remember why. Compared to Miller, Bud, or urine its OK... otherwise best used only to get the neighbors dog wasted. I've never seen a beer so pale. (281 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -14.6%

Ok, got to get ready for this one...

A- Pours a clear yellow color with a decent white head that dissipates into a thin ring. No lacing left behind.

S- Faint grain and corn scents. Not much going on.

T- A seltzer water flavor with a bit of cooked cereal and cream corn.

M- Light with decent carbonation.

D- I've had better macro lagers. Not offensive, but definitely nothing to seek out. (393 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass from a can this brew had a fast foaming white head that quickly vanished as fast as it came. The brew was a thin light straw color and had fast bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The brew has little to offer the nose. Strong corn taste, high carbonation, and a slight bitterness to it. I give it respect for being a Milwaukee brew (being a Milwaukee born and raised boy myself) but it is not much to write home about.

However it gets props for being value priced for those summer weekend fishing trips where (in some cases) quantity is more important than quality, AND word on the street from my step-dad is that back in the day, of the 3 Milwaukee breweries that gave tours (Miller, Pabst or maybe Schlitz, and Blatz) only Blatz was all you can drink... (791 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -12%

Finally found this after months of looking. I firmly believe that everything that comes from Pabst is the same beer, but they put it in different cans for nostalgic purposes. That being said, hell, it's not that bad. Beats the holy hell out of BMC. There ARE hops in it! I'll never buy it again, but my conscience is now clear. (327 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -11.6%

I did not think this beer was very good, even by the standards American Light Lagers. I am no macro-hater, and to be honest find most average, but this one is definitely below that mark. It is not tremendously different from other typical light lagers, but this one has a sort of nasty-sweet corn aroma and flavor. Appearance is (as you might expect) light yellow, clear, and fizzy. (382 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -11.2%

so i;m finishing up my night of good beers, which has included founders breakfast stout and victory storm king...with Blatz. ive never heard of Blatz, but we found some so we thought, why not? and why not indeed, since Blatz holds it's own up to the other terrible macros out there. its clear and thin looking, sure...and it smells like rice and corn water...but its got a flavor that's...uh...present, and its drinkable. actually, its making me a bit sick, but i feel that if i had had just Blatz tonight, all night, i'd be golden.

edit: i just looked at the picture on this page...this comes in BOTTLES!!?? (611 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -10.5%

Imported from Wisconsin on a recent trip. Had this in college a few times, because it is dirt cheap. Paid 3.99 for a 12 pack this go-round. Poured pale golden color into a lager glass. Average, bright white, 1 finger foamy head with a little lace. Not really much smell or taste. All I can say is it is a typical macrobrew, no worse or better than most AB or Miller products. Nothing special, nothing terrible. Wouldn't seek it out again. (438 characters)

Blatz Beer from Pabst Brewing Company