1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blatz Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Blatz BeerBlatz Beer

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-11-2002)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 157 | Reviews: 76 | Show All Ratings:
emerge077

3.08/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Three "pint" mugs in rapid succession at Miller's Pub.

Crystal clear, pale yellow, feeble head, visible carbonation.

Skunky aroma at first, sulfur, corn... ehhh. Nothing too exciting going on here. At least it's reined in and somewhat passable...as long as it's super cold. The skunk seemed to fade after a little while.

Flavor is similarly average, dry with the barest indication of bready malt and some minimal white grape. Sort of crisp, not that offensive really. Not getting much in the way of hops, but that seems to lend to the whole "inoffensive" thing. Somewhat watery and gassy, yet it dries up on the palate quickly. Pretty bland, but it gets the job done. I'd proudly drink this over Old Style. There, I said it.

05-04-2010 04:37:35 | More by emerge077
Zorro

2.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Brought this one back from a trip to Columbus Ohio.

Pours a clear yellow brew that says "American Macrobrew" as no other color can.

Smell is light and mild lemon traces, light but detectable hops scent.

Taste light and mild grain sweetness. Mild tartness to the flavor, no strong corn flavor like most macros. Mild clean flavor without any off tastes, suspect a lot of wheat is used in making this brew.

Mouthfeel is light.

Non offensive thirst quencher beats Budweiser for the price.

07-02-2004 03:14:56 | More by Zorro
woodychandler

2.9/5  rDev +19.8%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

Well, well, well. If this does not transport me back to my misspent teenage years, I don't know what will. My best friend's dad used to buy this by the case in returnable bottles. We would sneak several at a time up to his room to consume while listening to Zep, Aerosmith, whatever was spinning on the turntable. Ah, memories. Bill Hull, this one is for you. R.I.P.

I got a finger-and-a-half of bubbling, rocky, bone-white that was falling like Wile E. Coyote to the canyon floor. The lacing was nice, though. The color was a straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose was very sweet with obvious cereal qualities. Mouthfeel was medium with the standard lager/cereal sweetness on the tongue that seems to present itself in so many of these throwbacks. Is this true to the 1970's/'80's recipe? I cannot remember, but I am not impressed. The finish was standard, middle-of-the-road, ho-hum fare.

I'll stick with my memories. Reality is too depressing.

12-23-2009 00:02:29 | More by woodychandler
plaid75

2.73/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a sweet husky grain with hints of cooked corn.

The taste consisted of a light grainy malt, some sweet corn and a smattering of flowery hop. Overall clean and light.

The mouthfeel was light with a slight slickness.

Overall a good and drinkable macro. Nothing great here, but a nice alternative to the big boys. Thanks to czoch75.

05-22-2007 00:58:35 | More by plaid75
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.33/5  rDev +37.6%

Hey Blatz beer, all super clear and super straw yellow. Aroma of the faintest degree of downtown Milwaukee.

Taste, no hops, malt was warmed, nowhere near roasted, but a yummy sweet presence with the corn does the trick in this guy. Great fishing beer in Northern Wisconsin. Goes down super easy, nothing more to think about, decent price, though slightly rising.

08-21-2010 23:30:01 | More by Beerandraiderfan
ZAP

Update 4/14...Had another of these....this really is kind of bad....an off taste and a bad after taste...kind of tough to drink...dropped some numbers slightly...I'd now say this is a step below Busch, Old Mil, etc...

I got this for nostalgic sakes...I remember this at a lot of family gatherings in South Milwaukee, and Cudahy Wisconsin when I was a kid...my uncles used to always have this and Pabst and Schlitz....Back when they were all seperate regional breweries out of Milwaukee...now I'm not sure who is really brewing what and I doubt this is the same beer as back then but I'm rating it none-the-less.

Pours clear, light yellow...nose smells like Beer smelled like when you are a kid....then a sweeter adjunct laced aroma eminates from the glass...body is about medium for this style...starts a little fizzy and then settles down into a flatter mouthfeel...the taste is not bad...I expected worse....considerably better than something called "Blue Diamond" I found last year...this is definitely drinkable and would be worth a shot for the right price (say $8 a case)....Up here it's priced at about $13 a case which is too high...I finally found a place that sold sixers so I finally bought it...

Back to the taste....If Schlitz was the hoppier beer out of Milwaukee back then I'm guessing this was more of a sweeter, but lighter style beer...seems to slide down real easy...There are many beers worse than this..I was worried I was going to have to dumpo the rest of the sixer to rate this but I just poured a second...

This does have an "off "after taste but really this isn't bad, and like I said for the right price this would be appropriate in the right situation....Schlitz, High Life, and Pabst are better but this rates in there with Busch...Old Mil....etc....

If you've never had it, and you are into beer history you really should give it a try...

04-14-2003 21:23:35 | More by ZAP
cokes

2.6/5  rDev +7.4%

Yellow colored with a foamy white head that shows some longevity.
Nose is generally vacant, with some grain alcohol and vegetable fumes.
Taste is all honey-touched creamed corn, raw grain, and the fizzy bitterness of seltzer-water. Clearly heavily adjuncted, but there seems to be a bit of bargain-basement harmony here. Not oversweet, and not entirely bland either, despite the general lack of malt or hops. It's thin and fizzy, and style-wise exactly what you'd expect.
For a lower-rung macro brew, it's fair enough.

07-14-2004 21:28:36 | More by cokes
garymuchow

3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

As a blast from the past, this was really a lot better than I expected.
Straight lager malt aroma that's less sweet than many others.
Pretty standard appearance, but the way it's suppose to be. Big full sturdy white head, gold-yellow and clear.
Light over all flavor, of course, but better balance of malt and hops than most, therefore less bitter with some pleasing dryness.
Feel is thin, smooth and thirst quenching. Somewhat soft and carbonation isn't excessive.
This is better than most from a macro brewery. Better balanced than most. Drink cold!

01-08-2004 14:51:47 | More by garymuchow
ktrillionaire

3.45/5  rDev +42.6%

Whilst drinking some admittedly fantastic beer (Double Trouble, Panzer Wolf, Port Mongo) at Haymarket in Chicago, I suddenly spied this long-time 'want' of mine; jubilation ensued.

I used to have a Blatz t-shirt, and was also a fan of the East Bay punk band of the same name. I had never had a Blatz beer, however, until now.

The beer is basic fizzy adjunct lager, really. It has a bit more grainy sweetness than most, akin to Old Milwaukee in that regard, and is expectedly light and watery. There is an unusual creaminess to the feel, as if the bubbles are smaller than normal. For what it is, it is pretty good. I am crushing the whole can as an (effective) palate cleanser between hop-bomb DIPAs.

06-07-2011 13:50:20 | More by ktrillionaire
TastyTaste

24 pack of returnables set me back a whole $12.03. Clear straw color with a small, fast-fading head. Smells of grain, that's about it. Taste is of skunk and wheat, no pronounced malt or hops flavors, pretty watery and thin. This is just another get-drunk-at-the-ice-house-with-your-uncle beers. Don't waste your time with this stuff.

05-18-2004 16:25:45 | More by TastyTaste
budgood1

pours out a crystal clear very light straw colour with a fairly respectable head supported by some active carbonation. a little bit of lace to make things look good. adjunct nose...grainy and husky with a hint of corn. taste is reflection of the nose in that there is a lot of nothing going on except some seltzery diluted corn and husk notes with a whisper of hop bitterness. that's it. nothing else. the body is weak and spineless with a mouthfeel that resembles tonic water. drinkability suffers just for the fact that this "beer" doesn't make me want another one, and that's a rare feat.

just another macro brand brewed because of it's name and nostalgia and not any real quality behind the product. $14 for the case and i way overpaid.

11-17-2009 23:50:17 | More by budgood1
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.78/5  rDev +56.2%

Blatz has a thick, white head and a clear, bubbly, straw appearance, with minimal associated lacing. The aroma is of sweet, musty grains, and the flavor is of grass, sweet grain, and a touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Blatz finishes crisp and dry. Overall, this is very good, and I recommend giving it a try.

RJT

08-27-2012 15:30:33 | More by RonaldTheriot
granger10

2.1/5  rDev -13.2%

Got a case of this for around $5. The best thing about Blatz is the appearance, which most people wouldn't notice given they don't pour it into a glass. Anyways, bright golden color with a larger creamy head. Head fades but the lacing is really nice. Smells of nothing, tastes of nothing. Very minimal in all regards. Easy to drink only because it's like water. A bit grainy and adjunct filled but really nothing. If you want a good cheap beer just get Schlitz.

10-05-2006 14:27:02 | More by granger10
Frozensoul327

1.68/5  rDev -30.6%

Man, this is some crappy beer. No head, little or no color, and the big suprise * POOR FLAVOR*! I couldn't tell if i was drinking tree bark, dog urine, or burned steak. In any case, i would say skip this stuff. Not one of the better Heilemann brews i'm afraid.

03-07-2003 12:03:34 | More by Frozensoul327
hardy008

1.46/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Reviewed from notes.

Straw yellow with a respectable looking foamy white head. Poor retention and not much lacing. Smells and tastes like grain and corn. Somewhat sweet and musty. Feels thin and watery. Not something I care to try again.

01-09-2013 02:37:22 | More by hardy008
buschbeer

3.01/5  rDev +24.4%

12 ounce can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It is light straw colored with plenty of carbonation rising from the laser etchings in the bottom of the glass. It is capped with about three inches of white head.

S - The aroma is sweet grain and lemon grass.

T - I used to think this beer tasted like shit. Now I find it lacking in flavor. It has slightly more taste than a Bud. It almost reminds me of a PBR.

M - Thin

O - This is a cheap beer with little taste. The only reason it is unpopular with college kids is marketing.

05-04-2013 20:03:53 | More by buschbeer
BeerBelcher

2.35/5  rDev -2.9%

I did not think this beer was very good, even by the standards American Light Lagers. I am no macro-hater, and to be honest find most average, but this one is definitely below that mark. It is not tremendously different from other typical light lagers, but this one has a sort of nasty-sweet corn aroma and flavor. Appearance is (as you might expect) light yellow, clear, and fizzy.

09-07-2008 01:50:14 | More by BeerBelcher
Wildman

1.6/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Okay, Blatz is not much different then Schlitz and some of the others. If your into a cheap beer, I suppose you could do worse, but maybe try others before you decide, like Pabst and others.

06-01-2002 15:57:27 | More by Wildman
jjanega08

1.85/5  rDev -23.6%

A= Pours a very very pale yellow color. Super translucent. Really looks like a slightly colored water with a thin one finger head rising from it and lasting a little while as a thin sheet on top of the glass. No lacing is really here. Pretty average looking.
S= Like straight adjunct. Really you cant pick out a single malt or hop hint. It sort of smells like old fermented corn.
T= Just like the smell just old fermented corn sort of taste. An awful after taste on it. Not really describable I guess. Not good at all. It's got quite the watery taste. I've grown fond of certain adjunct lagers but this is pretty bad.
M= Really similar to water. Even the carbonation is low and watery.
D= I don't like this beer at all. I bought a 12 pack and this is the last one in it. Most were given away and after I had my first one stone cold sober I realized this is a beer I'll have to save for a drunken night. With one left I decided to review and it's not good. I can name at least 3 other beers for the same price if not cheaper that are 1000x better than this beer. I feel bad for not liking it but the taste is just off. Sorry. I don't like to bash even the worst beers but this one I don't understand.

08-07-2009 23:18:52 | More by jjanega08
AtLagerHeads

2.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Pale yellow appearance with very little white head. The mouthfeel is thin and watery; not objectionable, but not impressive. The taste neither impresses nor repels, it is just rather bland. This beer is a "go to" when only the usual menu of Bud, Miller, et al, are available in a beer bar. Glad they still make it, but it's not a regular choice.

03-08-2003 02:43:46 | More by AtLagerHeads
aforbes10

Iowa

2.4/5  rDev -0.8%

so i;m finishing up my night of good beers, which has included founders breakfast stout and victory storm king...with Blatz. ive never heard of Blatz, but we found some so we thought, why not? and why not indeed, since Blatz holds it's own up to the other terrible macros out there. its clear and thin looking, sure...and it smells like rice and corn water...but its got a flavor that's...uh...present, and its drinkable. actually, its making me a bit sick, but i feel that if i had had just Blatz tonight, all night, i'd be golden.

edit: i just looked at the picture on this page...this comes in BOTTLES!!??

08-15-2006 00:56:10 | More by aforbes10
biggred1

Indiana

2.48/5  rDev +2.5%

Clear yellow with a steady stream of rising bubbles and a snow white head that actually leaves some lace behind on the glass. Untoasted grain, grits and a touch of grain alcohol make up the nose. This brew is pretty lacking in the flavor department, raw musty graininess with a touch of honeyed sweetness. Light and fizzy, finishes squeaky clean. Blatz is a pretty lousy beer but not any worse than the most popular macro lagers out there.

01-02-2010 22:30:17 | More by biggred1
botham

2.13/5  rDev -12%

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. pours a pale straw color with a half finger of loose white head that lasts a few seconds. no lacings.

aroma is lightly malty, with a grainy and metallic character. not well balanced.

taste is grainy, with a metallic and stale character. finishes with a stale aftertaste. not impressive.

mouthfeel is ultra light bodied with a sparkling texture and a less than smooth finish.

drinkability is not good. this brew could be refreshing after mowing the lawn, but there are much better macro lagers out there. easily passed up.

05-03-2008 23:55:12 | More by botham
Winter

2.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Ugh, Blatz. A friend offered me a can of this while we were finishing changing the oil on my car. Can't even say it really quenched my thirst, other than being something cold.

Consumed straight out of the can. Cabonated and chalky mouthfeel. Aroma reeks of cheap beer: sweet, odd malt and grain scent. Flavor follows suit, yet is sweeter than I'd expect for a cheap lager. Everything about this beer is cheap. The price, quality and flavor. Not really recommended. Blatz, Schlitz, Hamms, Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best, they're all the same junk.

09-02-2003 02:40:59 | More by Winter
riversider76

3.5/5  rDev +44.6%

Until recently I did not think they still brewed this beer. Over the years I've collected Blatz momorbila for our rec room bar. When I discovered the beer was still brewed, I was disapointed it is not available in the Buffalo area. A friend from Wisconson sent me a six pack. Pours a very light golden, thin head,with moderate lace,and lots of bubbles. Smell is of light malt and yeast. Body is light, and carbonated. Taste is smooth and creamy,with a dry finish. This is a decent beer, though light. I would take it over Bud. Try one if you can find it.

05-12-2006 00:31:31 | More by riversider76