Blatz Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Blatz BeerBlatz Beer

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-11-2002)
2.9/5  rDev +21.3%

Hard to find in C-bus but found a 15 pack at a Krogers, and decided to give it a shot. I was honestly surprised by it. In my opinion it's better than the big macros on the market and a hell of a lot cheaper.

A: Light pale yellow with a head that dissipated in seconds
S: Smells of grain and corn
T: What the style should be. Easy to drink slightly sweet with a corn taste in the finish.
M: Heavily carbonated but not overly harsh
D: Easily put down a few after a hard day

shoney, Feb 10, 2011
1.3/5  rDev -45.6%

A: No head. Heavy carbonation. Pale-depressing yellowish.

S: Surprisingly only smells a little bit like malt. Reminds me of the inside of a macro-brewery.

T: Mildew, old canned corn.

M: Ultra carbonated with no other enjoyable aspects.

D: Didn't finish it. Not good.

ForWhatAlesYou, Dec 28, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +56.1%

Found a place in Rhinelander Wisconsin that sells Blatz cases in Bottles. Decided to buy this retro in give it a try. I was very surprised at how good it was out of the bottle. In fact we still had some of the Schlitz 60's that everyone is raving about (myself included)formula beer so we decided to do a blind taste test. To our surprise the 2 beers were almost identical, with the Blatz a little smoother, in the end the Blatz beat out the Schlitz, will keep this on my summer beer list.

schwanda, Aug 24, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +39.3%

Hey Blatz beer, all super clear and super straw yellow. Aroma of the faintest degree of downtown Milwaukee.

Taste, no hops, malt was warmed, nowhere near roasted, but a yummy sweet presence with the corn does the trick in this guy. Great fishing beer in Northern Wisconsin. Goes down super easy, nothing more to think about, decent price, though slightly rising.

Beerandraiderfan, Aug 22, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Pours a slightly darker-than-normal yellow-straw color. The somewhat dense, foamy head is medium sized, and it manages decent retention. A few wisps of lace stick to the glass.

S: Light, sourish grainy notes in the nose. Mainly clean - a little adjuncty corniness but it's pretty bland overall. A mild soapy/lemony tartness accompanies a faint trace of nondescript herbal hop.

T: A light, one-dimensional grainy maltiness up front. Sweet, faint corn notes are also present. Mild herbal hop bite into the finish. Overall, a bit sour and slightly sulfury.

M: Body is more thin than straightaway light. Carbonation is a bit on the perky side, lending a decent refreshing quality.

D: Fairly inoffensive, but so faint and nondescript that there's very little to recommend even over its other Pabst-brewed ilk. Moderately, mindlessly refreshing when cold, but there's no reason to turn toward this beer.

Clydesdale, Jul 22, 2010
3.08/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Three "pint" mugs in rapid succession at Miller's Pub.

Crystal clear, pale yellow, feeble head, visible carbonation.

Skunky aroma at first, sulfur, corn... ehhh. Nothing too exciting going on here. At least it's reined in and somewhat passable...as long as it's super cold. The skunk seemed to fade after a little while.

Flavor is similarly average, dry with the barest indication of bready malt and some minimal white grape. Sort of crisp, not that offensive really. Not getting much in the way of hops, but that seems to lend to the whole "inoffensive" thing. Somewhat watery and gassy, yet it dries up on the palate quickly. Pretty bland, but it gets the job done. I'd proudly drink this over Old Style. There, I said it.

emerge077, May 04, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +46.4%

Blatz. The official beer of Vintage Snowmobile riding. When its 10 below and you screaming across the lake at 30mph on a 40 year old snowmobile, Blatz is the beer for you. Another great throwback from G. Heilmann, keeping the memory of a bygone era where clear yellow lager was the ONLY choice alive. An american tradition and not a bad beer.

88blkiroc, Jan 29, 2010
2.48/5  rDev +3.8%

Clear yellow with a steady stream of rising bubbles and a snow white head that actually leaves some lace behind on the glass. Untoasted grain, grits and a touch of grain alcohol make up the nose. This brew is pretty lacking in the flavor department, raw musty graininess with a touch of honeyed sweetness. Light and fizzy, finishes squeaky clean. Blatz is a pretty lousy beer but not any worse than the most popular macro lagers out there.

biggred1, Jan 02, 2010
2.9/5  rDev +21.3%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

Well, well, well. If this does not transport me back to my misspent teenage years, I don't know what will. My best friend's dad used to buy this by the case in returnable bottles. We would sneak several at a time up to his room to consume while listening to Zep, Aerosmith, whatever was spinning on the turntable. Ah, memories. Bill Hull, this one is for you. R.I.P.

I got a finger-and-a-half of bubbling, rocky, bone-white that was falling like Wile E. Coyote to the canyon floor. The lacing was nice, though. The color was a straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose was very sweet with obvious cereal qualities. Mouthfeel was medium with the standard lager/cereal sweetness on the tongue that seems to present itself in so many of these throwbacks. Is this true to the 1970's/'80's recipe? I cannot remember, but I am not impressed. The finish was standard, middle-of-the-road, ho-hum fare.

I'll stick with my memories. Reality is too depressing.

woodychandler, Dec 23, 2009
2.28/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass from a can this brew had a fast foaming white head that quickly vanished as fast as it came. The brew was a thin light straw color and had fast bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The brew has little to offer the nose. Strong corn taste, high carbonation, and a slight bitterness to it. I give it respect for being a Milwaukee brew (being a Milwaukee born and raised boy myself) but it is not much to write home about.

However it gets props for being value priced for those summer weekend fishing trips where (in some cases) quantity is more important than quality, AND word on the street from my step-dad is that back in the day, of the 3 Milwaukee breweries that gave tours (Miller, Pabst or maybe Schlitz, and Blatz) only Blatz was all you can drink...

WJVII, Nov 26, 2009

pours out a crystal clear very light straw colour with a fairly respectable head supported by some active carbonation. a little bit of lace to make things look good. adjunct nose...grainy and husky with a hint of corn. taste is reflection of the nose in that there is a lot of nothing going on except some seltzery diluted corn and husk notes with a whisper of hop bitterness. that's it. nothing else. the body is weak and spineless with a mouthfeel that resembles tonic water. drinkability suffers just for the fact that this "beer" doesn't make me want another one, and that's a rare feat.

just another macro brand brewed because of it's name and nostalgia and not any real quality behind the product. $14 for the case and i way overpaid.

budgood1, Nov 17, 2009
2.85/5  rDev +19.2%

I had to do a double-take as I walked down the beer aisle ... Blatz!?! And then of course I had to snag a 12 pack from the end cap.

Blatz is like many of the beers under the current Pabst umbrella ... light & easy to drink American macro-style beer that doesn't have a whole lotta flavor. Nothing offensive about it ... just nothing to get very excited about.

For nostalgia it was fun to serve Blatz to my guests and honestly it's good for what it is at the price it is at.

tipnsip, Nov 10, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -5.9%

Ok, got to get ready for this one...

A- Pours a clear yellow color with a decent white head that dissipates into a thin ring. No lacing left behind.

S- Faint grain and corn scents. Not much going on.

T- A seltzer water flavor with a bit of cooked cereal and cream corn.

M- Light with decent carbonation.

D- I've had better macro lagers. Not offensive, but definitely nothing to seek out.

projectflam86, Nov 02, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +47.7%

Poured from a can into my favorite PBR goblet.

A= Very pale yellow pour, looks a little more reasonable in the glass. 1 finger head that dissapates within a minute. Very few carbination bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass

S= All I can smell is corn in this one, corn smell is stronger as the beer warms.

T= Tasted better than I expected from the name. goes down fairly smooth without the offensive finish i've discovered in so many modern macros brews. slightly dry finish, that doesn't linger on the palatte.

M= I found this brew pleasantly fizzy. seems to have the density of a light beer without a heavy feel.

D= I'm on the 5th one out of the 6 pack I picked up and I've enjoyed every one. I would drink this beer again.

hammitup, Sep 23, 2009

Appearance: Odd yellow color reminds me of weak urine. Foam is mediocre and non durable. Forgettable appearance, and this is probably the best part of this beer.

Smell: What smell? Apart from a slight odor (that might well have been the cat litter), there isn't much character to this brew.

Taste: Some fizz, some water, more water, food coloring, and perhaps some cigarette butts. Mix well. Add soap suds. Completely regrettable, but hardly forgettable for its sheer awfulness.

Mouthfeel: Water comes to mind, although water is smoother.

Drinkability: If there was a zero, I would score this beer. I gagged my way through one, and drained another. Even the drain complained about this beer.

I'm sorry -- I'm sure this beer has its fans out there, but to me, this was the single worst beer I've ever experienced.

PerroGrande, Sep 22, 2009
2.5/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance is typical of most American adjunct lagers. It's a typical pale yellow beer with a slight head and bubbles arising from the bottom of the glass. Barley and hops seems absent in the smell. Taste is slightly corn and somewhat bitter. Feel in the mouth is similar to about every other beer of this style. OK.

alkemy, Sep 03, 2009
1.85/5  rDev -22.6%

A= Pours a very very pale yellow color. Super translucent. Really looks like a slightly colored water with a thin one finger head rising from it and lasting a little while as a thin sheet on top of the glass. No lacing is really here. Pretty average looking.
S= Like straight adjunct. Really you cant pick out a single malt or hop hint. It sort of smells like old fermented corn.
T= Just like the smell just old fermented corn sort of taste. An awful after taste on it. Not really describable I guess. Not good at all. It's got quite the watery taste. I've grown fond of certain adjunct lagers but this is pretty bad.
M= Really similar to water. Even the carbonation is low and watery.
D= I don't like this beer at all. I bought a 12 pack and this is the last one in it. Most were given away and after I had my first one stone cold sober I realized this is a beer I'll have to save for a drunken night. With one left I decided to review and it's not good. I can name at least 3 other beers for the same price if not cheaper that are 1000x better than this beer. I feel bad for not liking it but the taste is just off. Sorry. I don't like to bash even the worst beers but this one I don't understand.

jjanega08, Aug 08, 2009
3.08/5  rDev +28.9%

Appearance:
This translucent, pale-gold beer forms a lot of head very quickly (~2 fingers). However, the retention is minimal, as it dissipates very quickly (~1/2 fingers) and leaves little lacing. There is plenty of quickly-rising carbonation.

Smell:
The aroma is overwhelmingly grainy with hoppy and metallic accents. I suppose this is what you would expect from your average American Adjunct Lager, though the sweetness and metallic character are not overpowering.

Taste:
The beer matches the nose pretty well, but the flavor is a bit "sweeter" than the smell would have you believe. It's largely grainy, with a little bit of hop character and minimal maltiness.

Mouthfeel:
This is definately on the lighter end of the density spectrum, so I will label the body as "light" for my purposes. In the aftertaste, there is a bit of a dry sweetness. The finish doesn't turn you away, but it does just (barely) enough to keep you interested.

Drinkability:
If this beer has a characteristic to laud, then this is it. With a light body and little flavor to savor/enjoy, it's quite easy to just pound Blatz after Blatz. This is a beer best enjoyed cold, as the temperature increase doesn't reveal any flavors worth discovering.

Summary:
I picked up a 12 pack of this while on vacation in central Wisconsin. My dad remembered when his friends' fathers used to drink this stuff when he was younger, so we decided to pick up something cheap to use for the bratwurst. As my review will suggest, there really isn't a whole lot "going" for this beer. However, when compared to some modern macros, I would rather drink this stuff. It tastes a bit better and it's pretty cheap; I think the 12 pack was ~$5.50 or so. I wouldn't go out of my way to try this, but if you're looking for somenthing to drink on a hot day, then I would suggest trying this over most modern macros.

diabecktic, Jul 16, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +24.7%

A- Very pale straw yellow, one half finger head maintained by effervesence from below.

S- Mostly grainy sweetness, faint floral hop note is way in the background.

T- Light grainy sweetness is the main flavor start to finish. This is also augmented by notes of corn which become more evident as the beer warms. A very faint floral hop note towards the end serves to check the grainy malt, albeit barely.

M- Light and fizzy, the finish is a little watery.

D- Nothin special but I can put back a few.

One of the classics... for it's style anyway. Marginally better than the big names today. Plus it's just cool to drink "the beer that made Milwaukee famous"

Pauly2X, May 04, 2009
3.03/5  rDev +26.8%

Blatz is a pretty straightforward beer with not much complexity. It certainly doesn't have a bad taste, but it is nothing too spectacular. It smells kinda funky, but not too off-putting. For it's price, however, Blatz is worthwhile. It is an easy-drinking cheap beer that is really a conversation starter when you roll up to a party or a social occasion with it due to its distinctive name and history.

JesseP09, Apr 16, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +20.5%

Had on-tap at the one-and-only Wolski's in Milwaukee, WI. Cheapest beer per pitcher, so we were looking forward to getting "Blatz-ted" on something cheap. With all of the offerings that Milwaukee has to offer, this one's pretty low (lowest?), so no high expectations. To be honest, it wasn't too terrible, with good drinkability, not to mention a ridiculous name. Not so fun- the hangover this thing causes is no joke

thebarnesbomb, Mar 16, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +35.1%

I finally found this stuff after years of wondering what it tasted like. I remember as a kid seeing this odd named beer in stores.

It pours a suprisingly deep golden color (was expecting a more light beer light yellow color).

No smell.

It has a grainy sweet taste, with little to no hops or malt to speak of. As sweet a tasting beer as I've had.

Very smooth drinking, no off putting crazy flavors or bitterness. Considering what it is I'm fairly impressed at it's drinkability. Most of the beers in this category have at least one really horrible flavor that makes it undrinkable.

Pleasant suprise, even though I'd never seek it out again (too much good beer out there).

Mardukk, Jan 21, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +66.5%

12 oz can poured into a glass. This beer pours a straw like color with a fizzy white head that quickly disappears. The taste is a little better than your typical macro. By far my favorite "cheap beer" I'll take this over a Bud or Miller anyday.

johnd513, Sep 15, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -1.7%

I did not think this beer was very good, even by the standards American Light Lagers. I am no macro-hater, and to be honest find most average, but this one is definitely below that mark. It is not tremendously different from other typical light lagers, but this one has a sort of nasty-sweet corn aroma and flavor. Appearance is (as you might expect) light yellow, clear, and fizzy.

BeerBelcher, Sep 07, 2008
2.6/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Brewed by Heileman in Milwaukee - 12 oz. can

Blatz poured a clear yellow [straw like] color with a fizzy white head that dissipated rather quickly. Aroma and taste is of very light corn, adjuncts and malt with very light bitterness. Mouth feel is light, thin, crisp and finishes with a clean dryness. I reviewed Blatz remembering that it is in the American Macro Lager category so the "standards" are not as high as other categories [i.e., American Ales, German Ales, Belgian/French Ales, Scotch Ales, etc].

Blatz is another American Macro Lager that I haven't had in years and years. The lager is about the same as I remembered. Drink it cold. Not bad for an inexpensive lager.

bushbeer75, Aug 17, 2008