Blatz Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-11-2002

2.9/5  rDev +8.6%

CAN you dig it? I pulled off a major trade in the Heinz Field parking lot a couple of weeks ago before watching Pitt lose (by a missed PAT!) to Cincy. I think that I developed a slight head cold during the snowy weather and so my reviews got put on hold until my sinuses cleared. Let the CAN Quest continue!

Well, well, well. If this does not transport me back to my misspent teenage years, I don't know what will. My best friend's dad used to buy this by the case in returnable bottles. We would sneak several at a time up to his room to consume while listening to Zep, Aerosmith, whatever was spinning on the turntable. Ah, memories. Bill Hull, this one is for you. R.I.P.

I got a finger-and-a-half of bubbling, rocky, bone-white that was falling like Wile E. Coyote to the canyon floor. The lacing was nice, though. The color was a straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose was very sweet with obvious cereal qualities. Mouthfeel was medium with the standard lager/cereal sweetness on the tongue that seems to present itself in so many of these throwbacks. Is this true to the 1970's/'80's recipe? I cannot remember, but I am not impressed. The finish was standard, middle-of-the-road, ho-hum fare.

I'll stick with my memories. Reality is too depressing. (1,266 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass from a can this brew had a fast foaming white head that quickly vanished as fast as it came. The brew was a thin light straw color and had fast bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The brew has little to offer the nose. Strong corn taste, high carbonation, and a slight bitterness to it. I give it respect for being a Milwaukee brew (being a Milwaukee born and raised boy myself) but it is not much to write home about.

However it gets props for being value priced for those summer weekend fishing trips where (in some cases) quantity is more important than quality, AND word on the street from my step-dad is that back in the day, of the 3 Milwaukee breweries that gave tours (Miller, Pabst or maybe Schlitz, and Blatz) only Blatz was all you can drink... (791 characters)

pours out a crystal clear very light straw colour with a fairly respectable head supported by some active carbonation. a little bit of lace to make things look good. adjunct nose...grainy and husky with a hint of corn. taste is reflection of the nose in that there is a lot of nothing going on except some seltzery diluted corn and husk notes with a whisper of hop bitterness. that's it. nothing else. the body is weak and spineless with a mouthfeel that resembles tonic water. drinkability suffers just for the fact that this "beer" doesn't make me want another one, and that's a rare feat.

just another macro brand brewed because of it's name and nostalgia and not any real quality behind the product. $14 for the case and i way overpaid. (741 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +6%

I had to do a double-take as I walked down the beer aisle ... Blatz!?! And then of course I had to snag a 12 pack from the end cap.

Blatz is like many of the beers under the current Pabst umbrella ... light & easy to drink American macro-style beer that doesn't have a whole lotta flavor. Nothing offensive about it ... just nothing to get very excited about.

For nostalgia it was fun to serve Blatz to my guests and honestly it's good for what it is at the price it is at. (475 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -14.6%

Ok, got to get ready for this one...

A- Pours a clear yellow color with a decent white head that dissipates into a thin ring. No lacing left behind.

S- Faint grain and corn scents. Not much going on.

T- A seltzer water flavor with a bit of cooked cereal and cream corn.

M- Light with decent carbonation.

D- I've had better macro lagers. Not offensive, but definitely nothing to seek out. (393 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +30.7%

Poured from a can into my favorite PBR goblet.

A= Very pale yellow pour, looks a little more reasonable in the glass. 1 finger head that dissapates within a minute. Very few carbination bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass

S= All I can smell is corn in this one, corn smell is stronger as the beer warms.

T= Tasted better than I expected from the name. goes down fairly smooth without the offensive finish i've discovered in so many modern macros brews. slightly dry finish, that doesn't linger on the palatte.

M= I found this brew pleasantly fizzy. seems to have the density of a light beer without a heavy feel.

D= I'm on the 5th one out of the 6 pack I picked up and I've enjoyed every one. I would drink this beer again. (738 characters)

Appearance: Odd yellow color reminds me of weak urine. Foam is mediocre and non durable. Forgettable appearance, and this is probably the best part of this beer.

Smell: What smell? Apart from a slight odor (that might well have been the cat litter), there isn't much character to this brew.

Taste: Some fizz, some water, more water, food coloring, and perhaps some cigarette butts. Mix well. Add soap suds. Completely regrettable, but hardly forgettable for its sheer awfulness.

Mouthfeel: Water comes to mind, although water is smoother.

Drinkability: If there was a zero, I would score this beer. I gagged my way through one, and drained another. Even the drain complained about this beer.

I'm sorry -- I'm sure this beer has its fans out there, but to me, this was the single worst beer I've ever experienced. (818 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance is typical of most American adjunct lagers. It's a typical pale yellow beer with a slight head and bubbles arising from the bottom of the glass. Barley and hops seems absent in the smell. Taste is slightly corn and somewhat bitter. Feel in the mouth is similar to about every other beer of this style. OK. (316 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -31.1%

A= Pours a very very pale yellow color. Super translucent. Really looks like a slightly colored water with a thin one finger head rising from it and lasting a little while as a thin sheet on top of the glass. No lacing is really here. Pretty average looking.
S= Like straight adjunct. Really you cant pick out a single malt or hop hint. It sort of smells like old fermented corn.
T= Just like the smell just old fermented corn sort of taste. An awful after taste on it. Not really describable I guess. Not good at all. It's got quite the watery taste. I've grown fond of certain adjunct lagers but this is pretty bad.
M= Really similar to water. Even the carbonation is low and watery.
D= I don't like this beer at all. I bought a 12 pack and this is the last one in it. Most were given away and after I had my first one stone cold sober I realized this is a beer I'll have to save for a drunken night. With one left I decided to review and it's not good. I can name at least 3 other beers for the same price if not cheaper that are 1000x better than this beer. I feel bad for not liking it but the taste is just off. Sorry. I don't like to bash even the worst beers but this one I don't understand. (1,199 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance:
This translucent, pale-gold beer forms a lot of head very quickly (~2 fingers). However, the retention is minimal, as it dissipates very quickly (~1/2 fingers) and leaves little lacing. There is plenty of quickly-rising carbonation.

Smell:
The aroma is overwhelmingly grainy with hoppy and metallic accents. I suppose this is what you would expect from your average American Adjunct Lager, though the sweetness and metallic character are not overpowering.

Taste:
The beer matches the nose pretty well, but the flavor is a bit "sweeter" than the smell would have you believe. It's largely grainy, with a little bit of hop character and minimal maltiness.

Mouthfeel:
This is definately on the lighter end of the density spectrum, so I will label the body as "light" for my purposes. In the aftertaste, there is a bit of a dry sweetness. The finish doesn't turn you away, but it does just (barely) enough to keep you interested.

Drinkability:
If this beer has a characteristic to laud, then this is it. With a light body and little flavor to savor/enjoy, it's quite easy to just pound Blatz after Blatz. This is a beer best enjoyed cold, as the temperature increase doesn't reveal any flavors worth discovering.

Summary:
I picked up a 12 pack of this while on vacation in central Wisconsin. My dad remembered when his friends' fathers used to drink this stuff when he was younger, so we decided to pick up something cheap to use for the bratwurst. As my review will suggest, there really isn't a whole lot "going" for this beer. However, when compared to some modern macros, I would rather drink this stuff. It tastes a bit better and it's pretty cheap; I think the 12 pack was ~$5.50 or so. I wouldn't go out of my way to try this, but if you're looking for somenthing to drink on a hot day, then I would suggest trying this over most modern macros. (1,864 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +11.6%

A- Very pale straw yellow, one half finger head maintained by effervesence from below.

S- Mostly grainy sweetness, faint floral hop note is way in the background.

T- Light grainy sweetness is the main flavor start to finish. This is also augmented by notes of corn which become more evident as the beer warms. A very faint floral hop note towards the end serves to check the grainy malt, albeit barely.

M- Light and fizzy, the finish is a little watery.

D- Nothin special but I can put back a few.

One of the classics... for it's style anyway. Marginally better than the big names today. Plus it's just cool to drink "the beer that made Milwaukee famous" (659 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +10.9%

Blatz is a pretty straightforward beer with not much complexity. It certainly doesn't have a bad taste, but it is nothing too spectacular. It smells kinda funky, but not too off-putting. For it's price, however, Blatz is worthwhile. It is an easy-drinking cheap beer that is really a conversation starter when you roll up to a party or a social occasion with it due to its distinctive name and history. (402 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +6%

Had on-tap at the one-and-only Wolski's in Milwaukee, WI. Cheapest beer per pitcher, so we were looking forward to getting "Blatz-ted" on something cheap. With all of the offerings that Milwaukee has to offer, this one's pretty low (lowest?), so no high expectations. To be honest, it wasn't too terrible, with good drinkability, not to mention a ridiculous name. Not so fun- the hangover this thing causes is no joke (417 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +19.1%

I finally found this stuff after years of wondering what it tasted like. I remember as a kid seeing this odd named beer in stores.

It pours a suprisingly deep golden color (was expecting a more light beer light yellow color).

No smell.

It has a grainy sweet taste, with little to no hops or malt to speak of. As sweet a tasting beer as I've had.

Very smooth drinking, no off putting crazy flavors or bitterness. Considering what it is I'm fairly impressed at it's drinkability. Most of the beers in this category have at least one really horrible flavor that makes it undrinkable.

Pleasant suprise, even though I'd never seek it out again (too much good beer out there). (675 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +47.9%

12 oz can poured into a glass. This beer pours a straw like color with a fizzy white head that quickly disappears. The taste is a little better than your typical macro. By far my favorite "cheap beer" I'll take this over a Bud or Miller anyday. (244 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -11.6%

I did not think this beer was very good, even by the standards American Light Lagers. I am no macro-hater, and to be honest find most average, but this one is definitely below that mark. It is not tremendously different from other typical light lagers, but this one has a sort of nasty-sweet corn aroma and flavor. Appearance is (as you might expect) light yellow, clear, and fizzy. (382 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Brewed by Heileman in Milwaukee - 12 oz. can

Blatz poured a clear yellow [straw like] color with a fizzy white head that dissipated rather quickly. Aroma and taste is of very light corn, adjuncts and malt with very light bitterness. Mouth feel is light, thin, crisp and finishes with a clean dryness. I reviewed Blatz remembering that it is in the American Macro Lager category so the "standards" are not as high as other categories [i.e., American Ales, German Ales, Belgian/French Ales, Scotch Ales, etc].

Blatz is another American Macro Lager that I haven't had in years and years. The lager is about the same as I remembered. Drink it cold. Not bad for an inexpensive lager. (682 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -26.6%

Now this is really ironic, I had no intention no doing this! The ironic part is that at our church picnic this would be one of three beers for a long time.

Apperance: Poured 12 oz can into my mug, fast pour, 1 finger of foam appears then quickly disappears. Carbonation throughout, dark golden yellow color.

Smell: Like beer poured through steel. Not very pleasant. Also grains and alcohol in the smell.

Taste: Beer poured through steel, with a burger meaty taste. Doesn't have a grainy taste like other Pabst beers.

Mouthfeel: There is none! You drink it and it goes straight down. Also it tastes warm? If that sounds weird its like you have to slam it to stay cold?

Drink: Well if you like metal mixed with meat this beer is perfect for you. For the rest of us not so good. Two stories, then I'm done.

1) I used to drink this, Steel Reserve, and various bum wines (Thunderbird, Nightrain, MadDog) for a whole summer.

2) I hear that this beer was bigger than Bud, any truth to that? (996 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -12%

Finally found this after months of looking. I firmly believe that everything that comes from Pabst is the same beer, but they put it in different cans for nostalgic purposes. That being said, hell, it's not that bad. Beats the holy hell out of BMC. There ARE hops in it! I'll never buy it again, but my conscience is now clear. (327 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -21.3%

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. pours a pale straw color with a half finger of loose white head that lasts a few seconds. no lacings.

aroma is lightly malty, with a grainy and metallic character. not well balanced.

taste is grainy, with a metallic and stale character. finishes with a stale aftertaste. not impressive.

mouthfeel is ultra light bodied with a sparkling texture and a less than smooth finish.

drinkability is not good. this brew could be refreshing after mowing the lawn, but there are much better macro lagers out there. easily passed up. (565 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -10.5%

Imported from Wisconsin on a recent trip. Had this in college a few times, because it is dirt cheap. Paid 3.99 for a 12 pack this go-round. Poured pale golden color into a lager glass. Average, bright white, 1 finger foamy head with a little lace. Not really much smell or taste. All I can say is it is a typical macrobrew, no worse or better than most AB or Miller products. Nothing special, nothing terrible. Wouldn't seek it out again. (438 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

saw this at $6.99 for a 12 and was surprised when i saw it was a 15 pack...bonus. i bought this cheap beer cuz we had a cookout for the college football games. the first was poured in a glass the rest were from the can.

not a bad cheap beer. pours decent with decent carbonation. flavor is grains with a mild hint of hop...very mild. good bbq and lawnmower beer. and good value for the cheap tailgate parties.

worth a try.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet (458 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +32.2%

Pours a golden yellow typical macro lager color. Full white head with good retention and nice lacing.

Smells again like a typical macro lager. Grainy and a bit metallically.

Good taste. One of the finest macro lagers. Clean, crisp with sweet corn flavors.

Smooth in the mouth, light and well carbonated.

If you want something light this is a great beer. Nice flavor. I'll admit I have a soft spot for this beer and it may not be everyone's cup of tea but give it a shot. Especially if you can find the long necks with the real bottle top before they move to the twist-off type (which is rumored to be soon). (613 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: average macro lager golden color with eigth inch of head that dissapears fast leaving no lacing
s: macro corn malts very little hop presence metallic aroma as well
t: clean and crisp flavor nothing too offensive
m: light to medium bodied with average amount of carbonation

overall for its price this isnt a bad beer, nothing offensive in the taste or anything. I know the reputation of this beer, a cheep beer that can remove the paint from walls, but i was pleasently surprised that this repuation was not an accurate description of the actual taste (560 characters)

2.87/5  rDev +7.5%

I found a six pack of long necks and I couldn't pass it up. I haven't seen Blatz in ten years or so. It's rather water-like. Yellow and foamy like pee. It didn't taste bad... It just didn't taste like much of anything. At $3.99 for six long necks, I'd buy it again. They're good to drink after drinking thick dark beers all night.

I think the thing that I like most about Blatz is my memories of my up north Michigan relatives. They always drank Blatz. And they were great fun to hang around with. A lot of swearing and laughing took place. And occasionally they'd blow shit up with explosives. They had fun. And even though I was quite young I knew that those stubby bottles of Blatz had a lot to do with the fun-filled activities that we partook in. We had a Blatz. (768 characters)

Blatz Beer from Pabst Brewing Company