Blatz Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-11-2002

2.73/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a sweet husky grain with hints of cooked corn.

The taste consisted of a light grainy malt, some sweet corn and a smattering of flowery hop. Overall clean and light.

The mouthfeel was light with a slight slickness.

Overall a good and drinkable macro. Nothing great here, but a nice alternative to the big boys. Thanks to czoch75.

2.52/5  rDev -1.2%

Served on tap!

It was crystal clear, very pale with a tinge of yellow. It had a foamy white head that quickly shrank down to a lacing. Massive amounts of carbination could be seen rising to the surface. As I drank it, it left a slightly cling lacing of head on the sides of the glass for a short while.

It really didn't have any smell. I was very disappointed.

It was crisp and refreshing. No real malt or hops taste. Just crisp light and smooth.

I could drink this stuff like water. It is drinkable.

2.76/5  rDev +8.2%

Best beer for the money. For $4.50 a 12 pack it can't be beat.
A - Looks like budweiser. Head disapears quickly, but when you're poor who cares about the head. The gold/brown can is pretty cheap though.
S - Not any worse than Budweiser, unless Bud is in a bottle.
T - Not the best, aluminum barley. After a few it starts to gain on you.
M - No complaints for a cheap beer.
D - Very good drinkability, especially after 5 or so.
Hangoverability - Very good. McDonalds never tasted so good.

2.82/5  rDev +10.6%

I picked this up because it was the cheapest beer on the shelf. It certainly isn't the worst, though. It looks like common fizzy yellow beer. My wife commented that it doesn't look like beer. She is used to seeing better beer. Hops are more noticeable than I've come to expect from Pabst. It is much more balanced than PBR. The mouthfeel is light and watery with lots of fizz. It finishes with a brief, but strong hint of apple. Overall, while I'm not a huge fan of the style, I'd have to say I have a new favorite American macro lager. Very drinkable. If the intention is to get drunk, this is the ideal beer. If the intention is to enjoy some good beer, look elsewhere.

12 oz bottle
Medium pour in a shot glass
Recent brewing, splatzed 12/06

Poured a clear light yellow with an average fizzy quickly diminishing head.

Smelt of moderate cooked corn and metal.

Taste was upfront moderate sweet cooked corn and stale grain followed by crap. Palate was light bodied, watery to dry, fizzy, and grossly metallic.

Overall, it's cheap and the name is funny. If you think these are good points, then you are an underage easily susceptible underage drinker or a dimwit who shouldn't be reading this, not only by their ability to read, by by their lack of tastebuds.

2.57/5  rDev +0.8%

I picked up a 40 on a road trip and saved it to wash down some chicken biscuit sandwiches. There is nothing offensive here, nor is there anything distinctive either. Fizzy yelow stuff that scrubs the grease off my teeth. Used to be available in my area in stubby bottles, but no more - hence the road trip. Basically all the G. Heileman schwag beers are pretty much the same.

2.12/5  rDev -16.9%

Got a case of this for around $5. The best thing about Blatz is the appearance, which most people wouldn't notice given they don't pour it into a glass. Anyways, bright golden color with a larger creamy head. Head fades but the lacing is really nice. Smells of nothing, tastes of nothing. Very minimal in all regards. Easy to drink only because it's like water. A bit grainy and adjunct filled but really nothing. If you want a good cheap beer just get Schlitz.

2.37/5  rDev -7.1%

so i;m finishing up my night of good beers, which has included founders breakfast stout and victory storm king...with Blatz. ive never heard of Blatz, but we found some so we thought, why not? and why not indeed, since Blatz holds it's own up to the other terrible macros out there. its clear and thin looking, sure...and it smells like rice and corn water...but its got a flavor that's...uh...present, and its drinkable. actually, its making me a bit sick, but i feel that if i had had just Blatz tonight, all night, i'd be golden.

edit: i just looked at the picture on this page...this comes in BOTTLES!!??

2.23/5  rDev -12.5%

Drank from the bottle so the appearance from what I remember is like every other american Macro Lager, pale piss yellow with no head. Taste is not to bad for a macro it does have that same corn taste but it is a bit malted as well. I rember drinking a few of these back in the college days and waking up with the worse hang over possible, that was my experience with this Blatz beer, I would avoid at all costs these days.

3.48/5  rDev +36.5%

Until recently I did not think they still brewed this beer. Over the years I've collected Blatz momorbila for our rec room bar. When I discovered the beer was still brewed, I was disapointed it is not available in the Buffalo area. A friend from Wisconson sent me a six pack. Pours a very light golden, thin head,with moderate lace,and lots of bubbles. Smell is of light malt and yeast. Body is light, and carbonated. Taste is smooth and creamy,with a dry finish. This is a decent beer, though light. I would take it over Bud. Try one if you can find it.

2.39/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance is like most typical American light lagers. It's a relatively uninteresting light yellow beer, but it has a decent head and tiny bubbles that rise from the bottom of the glass like champagne. Also has nice lacing.

The aroma of this beer is its major flaw. It has a strong corn/adjunct aroma and little to no malted barley or hops. Some stonger than preferable alcoholic smells also permeate the nose.

Flavor isn't great, especially up front where corn seemingly dominates. A nice and unexpected dose of what seems to be pilsner malt appears at the finish and "dominates" the mild aftertaste. (it doesn't take much to dominate a beer with little flavor). There's also a little more bitterness than expected, which helps the finish and aftertaste. No hop flavor at all.

Somewhat thin mouthfeel, but that's expected for the style.

I have to admit that Blatz is one of my favorite cheap light lagers. Emphasis on the word cheap. Blatz has all of the characteristics of other average light macros but has more flavor than most, and a price 50-70 percent of others. If Pabst Brewing (the current owners of the Blatz label) would fork over a few pennies per glass for some aroma hops, they might have a significantly better beer.

2.68/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

How could I resist? I haven't had much cheap mass produced beer since returning from Brazil, so how could i resist this beer that I have never seen before in all of it's 6 bucks for a 15 pack glory? It chilled nicely in my small dbf as I trembled with anticipation... No, let's not call that anticipation, let's call it fear. I finally popped on open and poured it calmly into my pils glass. No surprise on the color; straw yellow, but it sported a nice 2 finger white head that was not full of huge soapy looking bubbles. There is a faint grain nose. Taste has some sweet malts and hints of cereals, not offensive. Plus, I consumed this at about 40 - 45 degrees. I was surprised that I couldn't pick up many off flavors. I might keep this one on hand for when i have friends over. Certainly cheaper than giving out any of my prized possesions. (selfish, i know)

2.59/5  rDev +1.6%

Yellow colored with a foamy white head that shows some longevity.
Nose is generally vacant, with some grain alcohol and vegetable fumes.
Taste is all honey-touched creamed corn, raw grain, and the fizzy bitterness of seltzer-water. Clearly heavily adjuncted, but there seems to be a bit of bargain-basement harmony here. Not oversweet, and not entirely bland either, despite the general lack of malt or hops. It's thin and fizzy, and style-wise exactly what you'd expect.
For a lower-rung macro brew, it's fair enough.

2.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Brought this one back from a trip to Columbus Ohio.

Pours a clear yellow brew that says "American Macrobrew" as no other color can.

Smell is light and mild lemon traces, light but detectable hops scent.

Taste light and mild grain sweetness. Mild tartness to the flavor, no strong corn flavor like most macros. Mild clean flavor without any off tastes, suspect a lot of wheat is used in making this brew.

Mouthfeel is light.

Non offensive thirst quencher beats Budweiser for the price.

24 pack of returnables set me back a whole $12.03. Clear straw color with a small, fast-fading head. Smells of grain, that's about it. Taste is of skunk and wheat, no pronounced malt or hops flavors, pretty watery and thin. This is just another get-drunk-at-the-ice-house-with-your-uncle beers. Don't waste your time with this stuff.

3.5/5  rDev +37.3%

As a blast from the past, this was really a lot better than I expected.
Straight lager malt aroma that's less sweet than many others.
Pretty standard appearance, but the way it's suppose to be. Big full sturdy white head, gold-yellow and clear.
Light over all flavor, of course, but better balance of malt and hops than most, therefore less bitter with some pleasing dryness.
Feel is thin, smooth and thirst quenching. Somewhat soft and carbonation isn't excessive.
This is better than most from a macro brewery. Better balanced than most. Drink cold!

1.86/5  rDev -27.1%

Typical,light gold color, small quick disappearing head, sour corn aroma, quick blast of sweet adjunct taste, then its gone and it becomes seltzer. Plus points for being refreshing and not tasting vile, better than the lights out there. Cheap and getting harder to find.

2.05/5  rDev -19.6%

Ugh, Blatz. A friend offered me a can of this while we were finishing changing the oil on my car. Can't even say it really quenched my thirst, other than being something cold.

Consumed straight out of the can. Cabonated and chalky mouthfeel. Aroma reeks of cheap beer: sweet, odd malt and grain scent. Flavor follows suit, yet is sweeter than I'd expect for a cheap lager. Everything about this beer is cheap. The price, quality and flavor. Not really recommended. Blatz, Schlitz, Hamms, Old Milwaukee, Milwaukee's Best, they're all the same junk.

2.5/5  rDev -2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Everything about this brew is sub par with the exception of the price. Price is very nice.
The colour is a very light golden hue topped with a thin head which disapates to a healthy island lace.
The body is weak, or in brewers terms....."lite"
The carbonation is lively.
Aroma is ever so slightly grainy.
The taste is fairly well balanced but leans to the malts and short lived. Does not finish well.
However, factor in the price on this product with its attributes and you have a marketable product.

2.03/5  rDev -20.4%

Update 4/14...Had another of these....this really is kind of bad....an off taste and a bad after taste...kind of tough to drink...dropped some numbers slightly...I'd now say this is a step below Busch, Old Mil, etc...

I got this for nostalgic sakes...I remember this at a lot of family gatherings in South Milwaukee, and Cudahy Wisconsin when I was a kid...my uncles used to always have this and Pabst and Schlitz....Back when they were all seperate regional breweries out of Milwaukee...now I'm not sure who is really brewing what and I doubt this is the same beer as back then but I'm rating it none-the-less.

Pours clear, light yellow...nose smells like Beer smelled like when you are a kid....then a sweeter adjunct laced aroma eminates from the glass...body is about medium for this style...starts a little fizzy and then settles down into a flatter mouthfeel...the taste is not bad...I expected worse....considerably better than something called "Blue Diamond" I found last year...this is definitely drinkable and would be worth a shot for the right price (say $8 a case)....Up here it's priced at about $13 a case which is too high...I finally found a place that sold sixers so I finally bought it...

Back to the taste....If Schlitz was the hoppier beer out of Milwaukee back then I'm guessing this was more of a sweeter, but lighter style beer...seems to slide down real easy...There are many beers worse than this..I was worried I was going to have to dumpo the rest of the sixer to rate this but I just poured a second...

This does have an "off "after taste but really this isn't bad, and like I said for the right price this would be appropriate in the right situation....Schlitz, High Life, and Pabst are better but this rates in there with Busch...Old Mil....etc....

If you've never had it, and you are into beer history you really should give it a try...

2.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a clear yellow, a cheap ass session beer with a retro look to the can, an adjuncty kinda taste which is really smooth on a hot summer day. Don't count it out, some day people will act like this stuff is cool. If you were too late for PBR than hang on to your Schlitz!

2.76/5  rDev +8.2%

Pale yellow appearance with very little white head. The mouthfeel is thin and watery; not objectionable, but not impressive. The taste neither impresses nor repels, it is just rather bland. This beer is a "go to" when only the usual menu of Bud, Miller, et al, are available in a beer bar. Glad they still make it, but it's not a regular choice.

1.7/5  rDev -33.3%

Man, this is some crappy beer. No head, little or no color, and the big suprise * POOR FLAVOR*! I couldn't tell if i was drinking tree bark, dog urine, or burned steak. In any case, i would say skip this stuff. Not one of the better Heilemann brews i'm afraid.

2.24/5  rDev -12.2%

OK, this beer is bad. I bought a case of Huber, and someone stuffed a Blatz in with the "good" stuff. I hadn't had it in years, now I remember why. Compared to Miller, Bud, or urine its OK... otherwise best used only to get the neighbors dog wasted. I've never seen a beer so pale.

2.8/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A fine vacation brew, nice malty aroma, understated grain aroma and taste. What really struck me, however, is the creamy mouthfeel. Hell, I had several, and was very impressed with the smoothness, the creamy taste/feel and the sweet aftertaste. Very nice for a bad macro.

Blatz Beer from Pabst Brewing Company