Schmidt - Pabst Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 143 | Reviews: 62
Reviews by fizzy:
3.5/5  rDev +41.1%

i don't know why everybody wants beer like Schmidt, Hamms, Gluek, Grain Belt, and any of the original second string beers like Pfeiffer, Buckhorn, White Label and hundreds of others to taste like the new yuppie beers of today. These were beers made and consumed by our great grandfathers, grandfathers, and fathers. Even I got in on the 3x$7.50 craze for the 60s and 70s. Get over it, drink what you call "swill" and remember that there are still macros around that make beer far worse than any of those listed above.

And hey, $13.95/30pk at WestSide Liquor this week too!

And that's my 2 cents worth. BURP!

2.21/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance – Very light yellow in color with some live carbonation and a puffy white head that lasted a few minutes and left some nice lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell – I’ve learned to buy American macros in cans, so I didn’t encounter any skunk here. What I did find though was a horrible, nasty rendition of grain that left me gagging.

Taste – This is cheap beer at its best. The sharp, ricey grain screams “frat party”, but the finish wasn’t as bad as some American macros.

Mouthfeel – Cheap, thin, fizzy, and just plain horrible.

Drinkability – I wouldn’t exactly call it “drinkable”, but I’ve had a lot worst.

2.88/5  rDev +16.1%

This basic American lager pours a crystal-clear straw gold body beneath a short-lived head of bright white froth that leaves only very minimal transient lacing about the glass. The nose is 'generic beer'; and the mouth feel is basically the same. It's nicely balanced and not as sweet as some others, but what minor hop flavor is there also seems muted. Overall this is just an average American lager that's best enjoyed cold at the corner tap room with some friends and a basket of pretzels.

1.77/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Smells terrible and tastes worse.

2.84/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some corn. Taste is also mild, some corn and malts, not a lot of flavor. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall not a very good beer, but it is cheap.

2.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Very pale, ever so slightly ambered yellow with obvious carbonation, but surprising foam cap and minimal lacing.

S: Grainy sweetness, pretty faint light malts, and a ghost whiff of hops. Rather plain and clean, but it is there and has no real offensiveness.

T: Grainy, vague sweetness. Adjuncts and slight cooked veggy. A bit of hop bitterness, but not really any flavor or character.

M: Body is just a hint over medium, but doesn't quite carry the active carbonation. Drying and crisp (almost sharp) finish.

D: It is what it is. Beer. But barely halfway between "Premium" and 1357. Of course the wildlife cans are pretty retro-cool. Not really better or worse than most BMC. Different and variety are good though - right?

2.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Camo can drank at Kelly's Saloon in Geneseo, NY. Giddy-up!

I have a weird affinity with this beer, I love it, even though it's absolutely disgusting. Not a good beer by any stretch of the word. But it's my beer of choice at Kelly's, the dingy hangout of veteran Geneseo students.

Never poured it out, but I know it's pretty yellow and clear.

Smells metallic (from the can, obviously) and a little bit sweet.

There's a tiny little hop bite (or carbonation bite, can't really tell), followed by sweet, slightly sickening malt flavor. Drink this one fast or it will get super nasty.

Light, crisp mouthfeel. Eminently poundable.

I'm probably rating this higher than it actually deserves.

3.35/5  rDev +35.1%

Less sweet than a lot of the adjuncts...ice cold in a can and was readily swill-able. I'd take it over a lot of the garbage in this category...including some of the big names. I've always preferred Schaefer as an example of the less sweet adjunct and this one is nearly as good.

Had it in a small bar in NoDak where 90% of people drink Bud Light exclusively (perhaps because the water is bad because I can't figure any other reason to drink it). Probably the nicest can I've ever held in my hand...one had Cutthroat trout and the other a grizzly with a salmon in its teeth.

I would venture to say you won't be disappointed if the can is ice cold and the selection limited to adjuncts or crappy western micro-ale staples like Fat Tire.

I've always enjoyed drinking Schmidt, when I've been able to get my hands on it (not sold in Louisiana). Schmidt has a thick, white head and a very clear, straw color. Carbonation is very high. The taste is stereotypical American style lager, although, Schmidt might be a shade sweeter than normal. Mouth-feel is light and watery. This beer finishes crisp and satisfying. I drank this sample poured from a 16 oz. can. Schmidt goes highly recommended by me. Give it a try.

RJT

2.6/5  rDev +4.8%

Ok so appearance is not good, looks flat and no real head or lacing. Smell is also pretty bad, I'm finding a bit of oaty mlat flavor, but thats about it. Taste is a bit better, but not great still. The oaty flavor is present but I may detect a smidge of hops on the back end. Mouthfeel is decent, lots of carbonation. Drinkability is ok.

2.71/5  rDev +9.3%

Firstly, I will say that the sporting scenes on these cans kick ass. Pheasants, trout, deer, and bear will grab my attention anytime. The first time I had this beer was a few years ago and I can't even remember where I got it. But my good friends father just passed away and this is the only beer he really drank. He ordered cases of it at a time from his local beer store so we are slowly working through it. OK, so it pours a crisp golden yellow color. Only slightly deeper than your stereotypical "beer" color. Not much of a nose, typical lightly sweet and rice aromas. Hops are actually detectable but very light. The taste is crisp, clean, and pretty smooth. Nothing offensive but nothing great. I would put the beer just above others in the American Macro category. Like other people are saying on here, it's something to drink out of nostalgia or because it's around. And the cans are fun. A simple American light lager is all it is.

2.23/5  rDev -10.1%

Got this right from the can. Mine had a deer on it... goddammit.

Well, this is a short story: it tastes like your standard american macro lager with a hint of cardboard in it. It was like I was drinking natty light out of one of those 1/2-pint cardboard milk cartons.

Cheers

2.55/5  rDev +2.8%

So was rooting around in my parents fridge and found out my PBR loving dad found this obscure PBR beer under their label. Good enough time is any to grab a tick!

A - I find it hard to rate the appearance more than a 3 simply because it doesn't look that impressive.

S - Corn and corn syrup. Chemical skunk and lager yeasts. Standard lager smells.

T - Not very zippy like most craft lagers. Kind of flat and very thick corn syrup taste. I don't taste much in the hop department but unfortunately it taste more like water. I even expected some skunk flavor from the chemical smell but it's just... watery. Not bad but not great.

M - Again like sweet corn alcohol. It doesn't even feel fizzy enough to be beer.

Overall I am not very impressed even though I can actually get it down it doesn't make for a very tasty lager one bit. Guess my old man likes it so it must be cool...

3.78/5  rDev +52.4%

The can is a similar design to the one posted above, though mine has a grizzly instead of a pheasant. I'm afraid it may be rather old though, because the side says copywrite 2003 G. Heilman, Milwaukee. It's six years later and G. Heilman is now in Illinois....sketchy. We shall see.

A: Poured the down the side of the glass way, as I think is appropriate for an AAL. About a three finger head and pale golden body, but not the palest I've seen by far. A little active carbonation, but the head that sits on top of this crystal clear beer is fading fast.

S: A good strength, it smells sort of corny with maybe some evident pale malts. Not any hops though, of course.

T: Pretty watery, but other than that not bad at all. I can almost taste the cornsyrup though. There's this odd occasional jolt of sweetness. So the taste is a little inconsistant.

M: Very smooth, like water. Nothing to cause a gag reflex. Nothing to make you ponder about it though either

D: very good. Low carbonation, no off flavors to kill you, low ABV is seems.

3.21/5  rDev +29.4%

“Premium Beer” you say?

This beer came a dark crystal gold with a tall white head. Smelled of dry ash and corn with a sweet and musky yeast. Tasted of sweet cornflakes with a smooth baking yeast finish. The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with a light and easy carbonation. Over all, this beer isn’t very inspiring, but its clean, refreshing flavor and easy going mouth feel make this beer really easy to drink.

2.43/5  rDev -2%

a: pale golden color with about a quarter inch of head that dissapears fast leaving a very little amount of lacing
s: adjuncts, kind of a corn aroma followed by a little hop piny aroma
t: not much better than the aroma, corn grains slight hop bitterness
m: medium to light bodied a lot of carbonation

overall this isnt bad for a cheap beer i did enjoy the can though

2.25/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours very light straw yellow with a thin white head that eventually disappears from the scene.

The smell is of sweetness - combo of sweet grainy malt and plenty of adjuncts. A bitterness in the back that is muted.

The taste is of adjunctville. A bland, fizzy (seltzer-water-like) sweetness. Some vague touch of bland hops keeps some of the sweetness somewhat restrained. There's a sour chemical-like finish that lingers into the aftertaste.

It does have something to a body for it considering the style. Still, watery, but not worse than many other macros.

Well, I rated this as a cheap macro and that's what it is. But, can't say that I would prefer this over some others. Maybe fine very cold in extreme heat...but...
By the way, what's up with the "Beer that grew with the Northwest"? on the can...Someone needs a geography lesson.

3.47/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can into pint glass.

Nice clear light golden color. Clear with white foamy head.

Clean and bready. Faint whiff of booze.

Crisp and mostly malty breadiness. Faint bitterness of hops in the finish.

Selterzy and finishes dry with a flash of alcohol that evaporates off the tongue.

Cheap no frills beer. Just as good if not better than its more expensive counterparts. Will buy again for the awesome can art alone.

3.52/5  rDev +41.9%

I had to drive all the way to Washington to try this beer (that isn't the only reason I went, but I figured, "hey, while I'm here I might as well...), and I was quite surprised. My great-uncle Ed used to drink this beer way back before I was born, back when my dad was small. Apparently it used to be available here in Michigan.

Look- popped the top of the can and a very large amount of foam came out of the top. It didn't overflow, but it came right out of the can. Pours typical pale straw adjunct lager color with a soapy looking white head.

Smell- Typical adjunct smell of corn and lager yeasts mixed with some pale malts. Nothing stands out as out of place, but nothing stands out of the ordinary either for this style.

Taste- Now this was a pleasant surprise. Not very bad at all. It has the flavor of a typical pale lager with a corn adjunct, but the corn isn't very overpowering and actually complements the flavor of this beer.

Overall- If I'm ever back in the Washington state area, or have a friend going there, I'll be sure to look or have them look for it! Worth the money. Nothing spectacular, but nothing that I wouldn't enjoy drinking again.

2.16/5  rDev -12.9%

CAN anything stop me in my CANQuest? I CAN't imagine ...

My CAN was the pictured ring-necked pheasant and the initial pour resulted in a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a pale golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was cereal-based adjunct lager all the way! Mouthfeel was kind of thin, even for the style and the taste was simply unobtrusive. This was about as close an example of the old chestnut love in a canoe as I have encountered in a long time. It was not hard to drink and could certainly take up some space in my cooler on a hot day of yard work or in a pinch as I head to the beach. It is not worth seeking out unless you are on a CANQuest of your own, though. Finish was equally mild, generally ho-hum overall.

1.03/5  rDev -58.5%

Details are hazy, but I'm pretty sure either this or Moosehead was the first beer I ever had. Fortunately I didn't give up after either of them.

Pale golden color, fizzy, with a delicate head of white bubbles. Looks like an adjunct, and is. Smell of corn and rotten grain, and not much different in the taste, with added skunk. Nothing unexpected here. Watered down, light body, and nearly undrinkable. Cheap though...

1.33/5  rDev -46.4%

This is the first can from the miracle case. A case that I bought off the store shelf at room temperature, but was ice cold when I got home 5 minutes later. A miracle, indeed! Holy light gold color, wow. Looks like cider with it's visible carbonation, except for it's large, fast-fading head. Light grain in the nose, and not much else. Taste is also straight cereal grain and adjuncts. Not a lot of malt, and a level of hops that could be good for people with stomach ulcers. Just another boring macro lager.

After having a couple of these, they are really getting to me in a bad way. Metallic and unpleasent, this is a really bad beer.

1.9/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Haha... Small white head that's gone in a flash, no lacing, palest yellow even by AAL standards. Aroma of husky grain, zero hops, metallic. There's very little flavor going on, light and crisp, watery, some grainy malts but almost no body. This beer is just not very good. I'd stick with Grain Belt.

1.84/5  rDev -25.8%

Schmidt Premium pours a lofty creamy head over
a pale, clear brew. The nose is your typical macro
beer corn and rice funk. Carbonation is hyperactive
after a hard pour, but tapers off to a steady stream.
Flavor is slightly sweet corn with a hint of grass in the
finish, which I was a bit surprised by- still this is an old
man beer all the way. I love the rainbow trout on the can-
time was it was what was on the outside of the can that
distinguished a brew, not the contents (which were about
the same). I used to really like the cans with the scenes of
50's type pipe smoking dads hunting and fishing and
whatnot. It sure beats reality, which is real dad types swilling
beer just like this and pissing off the side of their boats or
having close calls in deer camp. Ahh well. Nostalgia kicks
ass but this beer does not. It would be funny seeing the look
on the face of one of those guys after they accidentally took a
big slug off a can of Bender thinking it was just like Schmidt...

3.57/5  rDev +44%

Serving Type-Straight from the can like the good lord intended.

A-Can't go wrong with the animal pack, I personally prefer the portrayal of the rainbow trout. Simply beautiful.

S- Smells like you'd expect a working class macro to smell. Smells slightly sweet, not much else noticable except for the smell of the aluminum can.

T- I'm one of those drinkers with a soft spot for Schmidt's. The taste to me is very crisp and refreshing.

M- Light, smooth and slightly carbonated.

D- In my opinion drinkability is excellent. After half an animal pack, I would certainly be tempted to finish the other half in a night.

To me Schmidt's is an all purpose beer. I've been very happy to drink it often. While it doesn't suite the tastes of many as I've learned from my friends (more for me), it'll always be a favorite of mine.

to view more.