Schmidt - Pabst Brewing Company

SchmidtSchmidt

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
View: Beers (58) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
grayne

4.5/5  rDev +80%

07-21-2014 20:49:05 | More by grayne
TeamSeinfeld

4.05/5  rDev +62%

Appearance, drank straight from can. Smell, like beer, what do you expect. Taste, like an American Macro should taste. Mouthfeel and drinkability exceptional. This beer is one of my favorite Macro's. I put it up there with Budweiser, Coors Banquet, and Schlitz because it tastes great with nothing fancy. I'm sick and tired of beer snobs on this site giving macros a terrible rating if you don't like the Macro style, why rate it? Personally I enjoy craft beers, imports, and micro's but at the same time I get tired of their taste by the 6th beer of a six pack and am looking for something else. I never get sick Schmidt beer even if it is the 30th beer out of the 30pack and the can has been in the fridge for 3 weeks hiding behind some spoiled milk.

02-20-2009 20:45:08 | More by TeamSeinfeld
Keegan

Germany

03-11-2012 19:06:58 | More by Keegan
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

I've always enjoyed drinking Schmidt, when I've been able to get my hands on it (not sold in Louisiana). Schmidt has a thick, white head and a very clear, straw color. Carbonation is very high. The taste is stereotypical American style lager, although, Schmidt might be a shade sweeter than normal. Mouth-feel is light and watery. This beer finishes crisp and satisfying. I drank this sample poured from a 16 oz. can. Schmidt goes highly recommended by me. Give it a try.

RJT

06-14-2010 13:15:03 | More by RonaldTheriot
jjanega08

3.9/5  rDev +56%

A= The can has a fish on it so it's gotta be good right??? The pour is an almost water color but it has a ting of a well hydrated persons piss. The head is actually rediculous rising to three fingers and holding some steady retention. The head is the color of a freshly fallen snow.

S= Not to bad. Sort of a sweet grainy smell to it. No hops present. There may be a little alcohol in there somewhere. Loads of corn.

T= The taste is water. If you splashed a little bit of sugar in water this is what it would be. Not bad by any means but not great either.

M= Pretty good. Not overcabonated which I expected.

D= A solid AAL. I expected a mess but then I realized fish on beer is usually pretty good. This is a decent beer but there are better options.

10-13-2010 01:23:43 | More by jjanega08
mdwalsh

Iowa

3.78/5  rDev +51.2%

The can is a similar design to the one posted above, though mine has a grizzly instead of a pheasant. I'm afraid it may be rather old though, because the side says copywrite 2003 G. Heilman, Milwaukee. It's six years later and G. Heilman is now in Illinois....sketchy. We shall see.

A: Poured the down the side of the glass way, as I think is appropriate for an AAL. About a three finger head and pale golden body, but not the palest I've seen by far. A little active carbonation, but the head that sits on top of this crystal clear beer is fading fast.

S: A good strength, it smells sort of corny with maybe some evident pale malts. Not any hops though, of course.

T: Pretty watery, but other than that not bad at all. I can almost taste the cornsyrup though. There's this odd occasional jolt of sweetness. So the taste is a little inconsistant.

M: Very smooth, like water. Nothing to cause a gag reflex. Nothing to make you ponder about it though either

D: very good. Low carbonation, no off flavors to kill you, low ABV is seems.

09-28-2009 00:28:22 | More by mdwalsh

3.75/5  rDev +50%

07-06-2012 04:44:32 | More by Dapperticus
cityjumper

3.7/5  rDev +48%

I feel that this beer is severely underrated. It tastes much better than your normal, run of the mill cheap swill. I much prefer it to the much more expensive Budweiser. I am on my 3rd can at this moment, and i am nowhere near sick of it, as many others seem to have gotten. The appearance is wonderful. It is so refreshing to see such a manly case with bears and fish and deer all over it. And the pheasant on the can is an excellent touch as well. The smell is nothing special, however, and it feels a little like metallic water, but hey, at $10.49 for 24 of these, it is much better than expected.

05-11-2005 05:15:23 | More by cityjumper
Knapp85

3.7/5  rDev +48%

So I still manage to find this in bottles from time to time. I like this beer much more from a bottle than a can. The beer pours out as a typical yellowish beer color with a fizzy white head that doesn't leave a lacing at all. The smell of the beer has a delicate sweetness to it. The flavors are of some corn and grains not much hops here at all. The mouthfeel is light and highly drinkable. Overall Schimdt's isn't all that bad. I'd choose this beer over Miller, Coors, and Bud any day. I feel that if there was ever a time that I couldn't afford great beer, I'd settle into a friendship with Schmidt's.

06-19-2011 17:31:04 | More by Knapp85
lweaver18240

3.65/5  rDev +46%

Serving Type-Straight from the can like the good lord intended.

A-Can't go wrong with the animal pack, I personally prefer the portrayal of the rainbow trout. Simply beautiful.

S- Smells like you'd expect a working class macro to smell. Smells slightly sweet, not much else noticable except for the smell of the aluminum can.

T- I'm one of those drinkers with a soft spot for Schmidt's. The taste to me is very crisp and refreshing.

M- Light, smooth and slightly carbonated.

D- In my opinion drinkability is excellent. After half an animal pack, I would certainly be tempted to finish the other half in a night.

To me Schmidt's is an all purpose beer. I've been very happy to drink it often. While it doesn't suite the tastes of many as I've learned from my friends (more for me), it'll always be a favorite of mine.

06-13-2009 05:49:22 | More by lweaver18240
jwilli7122

3.55/5  rDev +42%

Pours out clear yellow with fast fading bubbly white head. maybe a shade darker in color than an MGD but very much macro-standard in appearance.

smells buttery and like some sort of bland, generic "spice." it's a good smell but it is very muted - nearly undetectable.

tastes good. nothing real special, but lacking your typical bland, sour macro nastiness. buttery in flavor, and slightly slick (though moderately light) in texture. has just a hint of hop bite that complements the butter flavor well. also has a pleasant "earthy" aftertaste that i find nice, but suspicious. to me it doesn't taste like something that...would come naturally in this type of beer.

Beware that this has been known to cause headaches.

Schmidt's is my favorite shitty beer.

06-20-2004 00:23:25 | More by jwilli7122
fizzy

3.53/5  rDev +41.2%

i don't know why everybody wants beer like Schmidt, Hamms, Gluek, Grain Belt, and any of the original second string beers like Pfeiffer, Buckhorn, White Label and hundreds of others to taste like the new yuppie beers of today. These were beers made and consumed by our great grandfathers, grandfathers, and fathers. Even I got in on the 3x$7.50 craze for the 60s and 70s. Get over it, drink what you call "swill" and remember that there are still macros around that make beer far worse than any of those listed above.

And hey, $13.95/30pk at WestSide Liquor this week too!

And that's my 2 cents worth. BURP!

01-11-2010 00:42:43 | More by fizzy
alabencki

3.53/5  rDev +41.2%

I had to drive all the way to Washington to try this beer (that isn't the only reason I went, but I figured, "hey, while I'm here I might as well...), and I was quite surprised. My great-uncle Ed used to drink this beer way back before I was born, back when my dad was small. Apparently it used to be available here in Michigan.

Look- popped the top of the can and a very large amount of foam came out of the top. It didn't overflow, but it came right out of the can. Pours typical pale straw adjunct lager color with a soapy looking white head.

Smell- Typical adjunct smell of corn and lager yeasts mixed with some pale malts. Nothing stands out as out of place, but nothing stands out of the ordinary either for this style.

Taste- Now this was a pleasant surprise. Not very bad at all. It has the flavor of a typical pale lager with a corn adjunct, but the corn isn't very overpowering and actually complements the flavor of this beer.

Overall- If I'm ever back in the Washington state area, or have a friend going there, I'll be sure to look or have them look for it! Worth the money. Nothing spectacular, but nothing that I wouldn't enjoy drinking again.

08-27-2010 00:41:52 | More by alabencki
industrialswill

Washington

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

You can't always judge a book by it's cover. I had never seen nor heard of Schmidt until moving to Washington in 1984. I asked the locals about it and was told that it was for white trash only. So, in order to protect my social status I never bothered to try it until this year.
To my surprise, it wasn't bad. I can find 12 oz 12 packs of it for less than most macro lagers.
It is a solid, simple lager that I like to drink either right out of the frig, or stored outside at cool temperatures. It's not a beer that gets foul if allowed to warm a little.
It's not strikingly different than many other macro lagers, but I think it has somewhat more flavor and body than it's peers.
It is getting increasingly more difficult to find, so I usually grab some if and when I come across it.

06-29-2010 13:27:44 | More by industrialswill
vwbus7

3.5/5  rDev +40%

06-26-2014 01:53:49 | More by vwbus7
jjhuffo

3.5/5  rDev +40%

A good beer for: mowing the lawn; fishing on a hot summer day; tailgating; 4th of July picnics; family reunions; curing hangovers; and for when you are laid off from your job. I admire the consistency in these brews, an art in itself to produce a completely consistent beer batch after batch. If you are going to the game, and expect to drink lots of beer, snag a 30 pack for, say 14 bucks, and life is good. Make Memories while you can.

07-06-2009 20:56:42 | More by jjhuffo
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.48/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can into pint glass.

Nice clear light golden color. Clear with white foamy head.

Clean and bready. Faint whiff of booze.

Crisp and mostly malty breadiness. Faint bitterness of hops in the finish.

Selterzy and finishes dry with a flash of alcohol that evaporates off the tongue.

Cheap no frills beer. Just as good if not better than its more expensive counterparts. Will buy again for the awesome can art alone.

12-11-2012 23:36:32 | More by MirkoCroCough
HopAlongG

New Hampshire

3.38/5  rDev +35.2%

Less sweet than a lot of the adjuncts...ice cold in a can and was readily swill-able. I'd take it over a lot of the garbage in this category...including some of the big names. I've always preferred Schaefer as an example of the less sweet adjunct and this one is nearly as good.

Had it in a small bar in NoDak where 90% of people drink Bud Light exclusively (perhaps because the water is bad because I can't figure any other reason to drink it). Probably the nicest can I've ever held in my hand...one had Cutthroat trout and the other a grizzly with a salmon in its teeth.

I would venture to say you won't be disappointed if the can is ice cold and the selection limited to adjuncts or crappy western micro-ale staples like Fat Tire.

11-17-2012 21:33:01 | More by HopAlongG

10-11-2012 01:35:51 | More by drt72
DarkerTheBetter

3.23/5  rDev +29.2%

“Premium Beer” you say?

This beer came a dark crystal gold with a tall white head. Smelled of dry ash and corn with a sweet and musky yeast. Tasted of sweet cornflakes with a smooth baking yeast finish. The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with a light and easy carbonation. Over all, this beer isn’t very inspiring, but its clean, refreshing flavor and easy going mouth feel make this beer really easy to drink.

02-02-2006 18:15:09 | More by DarkerTheBetter
keeganfrank

3.15/5  rDev +26%

Light gold liquid with a foamy head that has decent retention. Smells of stale, dry grass and sugar. Very mild, dry flavor; tastes primarily of corn and grass. A surprising amount of lacing remains as the glass is emptied. Not an offensive brew, but nothing that I'm dying to drink all the time. I'd take it over a lot of other adjunct lagers.

12-29-2011 19:37:21 | More by keeganfrank
CBFanWish

3.13/5  rDev +25.2%

Like it's big brother, Scmidt's is a hopelessly underrated beer. You're not meant to inspect it and treat it as a craft beer, because, simply, it's not. The proper glass for this is your favourite pint glass and the perfect food to compliment this would be a pizza. I love this beer more than I can say. It has been a favourate in my family for generations.

03-09-2004 03:07:37 | More by CBFanWish