Schmidt - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Animal beer. That's what this was called when I was in college. Even though it's pretty bad, it holds a tender spot in my heart. I drank a lot of it at the time and a lot of good memories were made (or altered) because of it. (228 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Camo can drank at Kelly's Saloon in Geneseo, NY. Giddy-up!

I have a weird affinity with this beer, I love it, even though it's absolutely disgusting. Not a good beer by any stretch of the word. But it's my beer of choice at Kelly's, the dingy hangout of veteran Geneseo students.

Never poured it out, but I know it's pretty yellow and clear.

Smells metallic (from the can, obviously) and a little bit sweet.

There's a tiny little hop bite (or carbonation bite, can't really tell), followed by sweet, slightly sickening malt flavor. Drink this one fast or it will get super nasty.

Light, crisp mouthfeel. Eminently poundable.

I'm probably rating this higher than it actually deserves. (689 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -3.8%

So was rooting around in my parents fridge and found out my PBR loving dad found this obscure PBR beer under their label. Good enough time is any to grab a tick!

A - I find it hard to rate the appearance more than a 3 simply because it doesn't look that impressive.

S - Corn and corn syrup. Chemical skunk and lager yeasts. Standard lager smells.

T - Not very zippy like most craft lagers. Kind of flat and very thick corn syrup taste. I don't taste much in the hop department but unfortunately it taste more like water. I even expected some skunk flavor from the chemical smell but it's just... watery. Not bad but not great.

M - Again like sweet corn alcohol. It doesn't even feel fizzy enough to be beer.

Overall I am not very impressed even though I can actually get it down it doesn't make for a very tasty lager one bit. Guess my old man likes it so it must be cool... (879 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can into pint glass.

Nice clear light golden color. Clear with white foamy head.

Clean and bready. Faint whiff of booze.

Crisp and mostly malty breadiness. Faint bitterness of hops in the finish.

Selterzy and finishes dry with a flash of alcohol that evaporates off the tongue.

Cheap no frills beer. Just as good if not better than its more expensive counterparts. Will buy again for the awesome can art alone. (416 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +26.4%

Less sweet than a lot of the adjuncts...ice cold in a can and was readily swill-able. I'd take it over a lot of the garbage in this category...including some of the big names. I've always preferred Schaefer as an example of the less sweet adjunct and this one is nearly as good.

Had it in a small bar in NoDak where 90% of people drink Bud Light exclusively (perhaps because the water is bad because I can't figure any other reason to drink it). Probably the nicest can I've ever held in my hand...one had Cutthroat trout and the other a grizzly with a salmon in its teeth.

I would venture to say you won't be disappointed if the can is ice cold and the selection limited to adjuncts or crappy western micro-ale staples like Fat Tire. (737 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Clear fizzy yellow lager, ok head for the style.

Aroma is of grain and corn, not much else.

Flavor is more grain and corn with just a rumor of hops. For econo-swill, it's not terrible. Tastes like adjunct cheap beer with no real off flavors to speak of. Finishes light, dry, and clean.

There are much worse beers in the category. (332 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +17.4%

Light gold liquid with a foamy head that has decent retention. Smells of stale, dry grass and sugar. Very mild, dry flavor; tastes primarily of corn and grass. A surprising amount of lacing remains as the glass is emptied. Not an offensive brew, but nothing that I'm dying to drink all the time. I'd take it over a lot of other adjunct lagers. (343 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks to Eric for sharing. Reviewed back and March and I just found the notes now. Poured into a type of pilsner sensory glass, this brew appears a perfectly clear light yellow color with a finger of stringy white head. The strings of lace across the top of the brew also make their way onto the glassware. An eruption of carbonation constantly rises to the surface holding across the surface with a small circle of lace.

The smell of this brew is lightly reminiscent of stale hops. Some grassy and fruity sweet indications almost like bubblegum are evident mixed with sulfur. Collectively it is a bit of a strange mess of an aroma even for an adjunct brew.

The taste is corn-like with it's sweetness. There is a faint grain flavor which accents the excessive amount of sweetness to this brew that again is somewhat like a fruity type of original bubblegum flavoring. Light stale hops from the aroma make their way into the flavor here as well with a bit of a grassy flavor and a touch of sulfur hangs across the back and long into the aftertaste after each sip.

This is a light bodied brew with a fizzy amount of carbonation. It is fitting of the style and I guess this one is considerable enjoyable at freezing temperatures or when chugged. To sit and drink a few of these would be a pain if you are looking for something enjoyable to savor. I appreciate the chance to try it but no thanks on having it again. (1,415 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -7.2%

Well, there's only so much you can do beer-wse when you're enjoying a great fishing trip with good friends in a remote lodge in far, far northern Minnesota. Besides, it was happy hour, 2-4-1 & the bottle had a deer on it! Sweet!

Really, this isn't as bad as I recall. Taste is just as one would expect for the style, fizzy, grainy, limp bits of corn are all detectable. Really drinkable as long as you don't leave it in the cup holder of the boat & forget about it while fishing...drink it cold, boys.

A forgettable beer, but when fishing, do as the fishermen do. (566 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +38.5%

So I still manage to find this in bottles from time to time. I like this beer much more from a bottle than a can. The beer pours out as a typical yellowish beer color with a fizzy white head that doesn't leave a lacing at all. The smell of the beer has a delicate sweetness to it. The flavors are of some corn and grains not much hops here at all. The mouthfeel is light and highly drinkable. Overall Schimdt's isn't all that bad. I'd choose this beer over Miller, Coors, and Bud any day. I feel that if there was ever a time that I couldn't afford great beer, I'd settle into a friendship with Schmidt's. (605 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -61.1%

Details are hazy, but I'm pretty sure either this or Moosehead was the first beer I ever had. Fortunately I didn't give up after either of them.

Pale golden color, fizzy, with a delicate head of white bubbles. Looks like an adjunct, and is. Smell of corn and rotten grain, and not much different in the taste, with added skunk. Nothing unexpected here. Watered down, light body, and nearly undrinkable. Cheap though... (419 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Very pale, ever so slightly ambered yellow with obvious carbonation, but surprising foam cap and minimal lacing.

S: Grainy sweetness, pretty faint light malts, and a ghost whiff of hops. Rather plain and clean, but it is there and has no real offensiveness.

T: Grainy, vague sweetness. Adjuncts and slight cooked veggy. A bit of hop bitterness, but not really any flavor or character.

M: Body is just a hint over medium, but doesn't quite carry the active carbonation. Drying and crisp (almost sharp) finish.

D: It is what it is. Beer. But barely halfway between "Premium" and 1357. Of course the wildlife cans are pretty retro-cool. Not really better or worse than most BMC. Different and variety are good though - right? (729 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +46.4%

A= The can has a fish on it so it's gotta be good right??? The pour is an almost water color but it has a ting of a well hydrated persons piss. The head is actually rediculous rising to three fingers and holding some steady retention. The head is the color of a freshly fallen snow.

S= Not to bad. Sort of a sweet grainy smell to it. No hops present. There may be a little alcohol in there somewhere. Loads of corn.

T= The taste is water. If you splashed a little bit of sugar in water this is what it would be. Not bad by any means but not great either.

M= Pretty good. Not overcabonated which I expected.

D= A solid AAL. I expected a mess but then I realized fish on beer is usually pretty good. This is a decent beer but there are better options. (754 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +32.8%

I had to drive all the way to Washington to try this beer (that isn't the only reason I went, but I figured, "hey, while I'm here I might as well...), and I was quite surprised. My great-uncle Ed used to drink this beer way back before I was born, back when my dad was small. Apparently it used to be available here in Michigan.

Look- popped the top of the can and a very large amount of foam came out of the top. It didn't overflow, but it came right out of the can. Pours typical pale straw adjunct lager color with a soapy looking white head.

Smell- Typical adjunct smell of corn and lager yeasts mixed with some pale malts. Nothing stands out as out of place, but nothing stands out of the ordinary either for this style.

Taste- Now this was a pleasant surprise. Not very bad at all. It has the flavor of a typical pale lager with a corn adjunct, but the corn isn't very overpowering and actually complements the flavor of this beer.

Overall- If I'm ever back in the Washington state area, or have a friend going there, I'll be sure to look or have them look for it! Worth the money. Nothing spectacular, but nothing that I wouldn't enjoy drinking again. (1,163 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

You can't always judge a book by it's cover. I had never seen nor heard of Schmidt until moving to Washington in 1984. I asked the locals about it and was told that it was for white trash only. So, in order to protect my social status I never bothered to try it until this year.
To my surprise, it wasn't bad. I can find 12 oz 12 packs of it for less than most macro lagers.
It is a solid, simple lager that I like to drink either right out of the frig, or stored outside at cool temperatures. It's not a beer that gets foul if allowed to warm a little.
It's not strikingly different than many other macro lagers, but I think it has somewhat more flavor and body than it's peers.
It is getting increasingly more difficult to find, so I usually grab some if and when I come across it. (784 characters)

I've always enjoyed drinking Schmidt, when I've been able to get my hands on it (not sold in Louisiana). Schmidt has a thick, white head and a very clear, straw color. Carbonation is very high. The taste is stereotypical American style lager, although, Schmidt might be a shade sweeter than normal. Mouth-feel is light and watery. This beer finishes crisp and satisfying. I drank this sample poured from a 16 oz. can. Schmidt goes highly recommended by me. Give it a try.

RJT (476 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +10.2%

One of my favorite beers for when I am broke or going camping/fishing. This is a cheap no frills beer that I would definitely prefer to bud (buttwiper) or any big name generic beer in general. Would I drink this over a good full bodied beer... hell no. Not a bad cheap beer though. (281 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -18.5%

CAN anything stop me in my CANQuest? I CAN't imagine ...

My CAN was the pictured ring-necked pheasant and the initial pour resulted in a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a pale golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was cereal-based adjunct lager all the way! Mouthfeel was kind of thin, even for the style and the taste was simply unobtrusive. This was about as close an example of the old chestnut love in a canoe as I have encountered in a long time. It was not hard to drink and could certainly take up some space in my cooler on a hot day of yard work or in a pinch as I head to the beach. It is not worth seeking out unless you are on a CANQuest of your own, though. Finish was equally mild, generally ho-hum overall. (762 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some corn. Taste is also mild, some corn and malts, not a lot of flavor. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall not a very good beer, but it is cheap. (265 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -15.8%

Yeah... The damn trout again... It seems every time this beer enters my home it has the same label. It pours a golden hue with a foamy white head that suprisingly retains quite well. The smell is a different story. Skunky, even though it came from a can. No malt can be detected, except for in the taste. Some toffee-like hints, followed by some astringent hop notes. Were the grains and hops second-hand? This beer is thin, off-flavored, and even beer-pongers should not use this one to fill their glasses. I remember when my dad used to drink this when I was a kid. I could smell it from a mile away, and it almost made me never want to drink beer. (650 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%

i don't know why everybody wants beer like Schmidt, Hamms, Gluek, Grain Belt, and any of the original second string beers like Pfeiffer, Buckhorn, White Label and hundreds of others to taste like the new yuppie beers of today. These were beers made and consumed by our great grandfathers, grandfathers, and fathers. Even I got in on the 3x$7.50 craze for the 60s and 70s. Get over it, drink what you call "swill" and remember that there are still macros around that make beer far worse than any of those listed above.

And hey, $13.95/30pk at WestSide Liquor this week too!

And that's my 2 cents worth. BURP! (609 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +42.6%

The can is a similar design to the one posted above, though mine has a grizzly instead of a pheasant. I'm afraid it may be rather old though, because the side says copywrite 2003 G. Heilman, Milwaukee. It's six years later and G. Heilman is now in Illinois....sketchy. We shall see.

A: Poured the down the side of the glass way, as I think is appropriate for an AAL. About a three finger head and pale golden body, but not the palest I've seen by far. A little active carbonation, but the head that sits on top of this crystal clear beer is fading fast.

S: A good strength, it smells sort of corny with maybe some evident pale malts. Not any hops though, of course.

T: Pretty watery, but other than that not bad at all. I can almost taste the cornsyrup though. There's this odd occasional jolt of sweetness. So the taste is a little inconsistant.

M: Very smooth, like water. Nothing to cause a gag reflex. Nothing to make you ponder about it though either

D: very good. Low carbonation, no off flavors to kill you, low ABV is seems. (1,037 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +33.6%

A good beer for: mowing the lawn; fishing on a hot summer day; tailgating; 4th of July picnics; family reunions; curing hangovers; and for when you are laid off from your job. I admire the consistency in these brews, an art in itself to produce a completely consistent beer batch after batch. If you are going to the game, and expect to drink lots of beer, snag a 30 pack for, say 14 bucks, and life is good. Make Memories while you can. (437 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +34.7%

Serving Type-Straight from the can like the good lord intended.

A-Can't go wrong with the animal pack, I personally prefer the portrayal of the rainbow trout. Simply beautiful.

S- Smells like you'd expect a working class macro to smell. Smells slightly sweet, not much else noticable except for the smell of the aluminum can.

T- I'm one of those drinkers with a soft spot for Schmidt's. The taste to me is very crisp and refreshing.

M- Light, smooth and slightly carbonated.

D- In my opinion drinkability is excellent. After half an animal pack, I would certainly be tempted to finish the other half in a night.

To me Schmidt's is an all purpose beer. I've been very happy to drink it often. While it doesn't suite the tastes of many as I've learned from my friends (more for me), it'll always be a favorite of mine. (823 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -28.3%

Appearance - Pale gold color with a small white head with poor retention.

Smell - Somewhat sweet - grain and corn.

Taste - not a lot of flavor. Some sweetness, nothing great.

Mouthfeel - High carbonation, thin and watery.

Drinkability - Not my favorite beer. (262 characters)

Schmidt from Pabst Brewing Company