2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schmidt - Pabst Brewing Company

SchmidtSchmidt

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 121 | Reviews: 58 | Show All Ratings:
DrDemento456

2.53/5  rDev +2%

So was rooting around in my parents fridge and found out my PBR loving dad found this obscure PBR beer under their label. Good enough time is any to grab a tick!

A - I find it hard to rate the appearance more than a 3 simply because it doesn't look that impressive.

S - Corn and corn syrup. Chemical skunk and lager yeasts. Standard lager smells.

T - Not very zippy like most craft lagers. Kind of flat and very thick corn syrup taste. I don't taste much in the hop department but unfortunately it taste more like water. I even expected some skunk flavor from the chemical smell but it's just... watery. Not bad but not great.

M - Again like sweet corn alcohol. It doesn't even feel fizzy enough to be beer.

Overall I am not very impressed even though I can actually get it down it doesn't make for a very tasty lager one bit. Guess my old man likes it so it must be cool...

12-24-2012 01:31:33 | More by DrDemento456
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.48/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can into pint glass.

Nice clear light golden color. Clear with white foamy head.

Clean and bready. Faint whiff of booze.

Crisp and mostly malty breadiness. Faint bitterness of hops in the finish.

Selterzy and finishes dry with a flash of alcohol that evaporates off the tongue.

Cheap no frills beer. Just as good if not better than its more expensive counterparts. Will buy again for the awesome can art alone.

12-11-2012 23:36:32 | More by MirkoCroCough
HopAlongG

New Hampshire

3.38/5  rDev +36.3%

Less sweet than a lot of the adjuncts...ice cold in a can and was readily swill-able. I'd take it over a lot of the garbage in this category...including some of the big names. I've always preferred Schaefer as an example of the less sweet adjunct and this one is nearly as good.

Had it in a small bar in NoDak where 90% of people drink Bud Light exclusively (perhaps because the water is bad because I can't figure any other reason to drink it). Probably the nicest can I've ever held in my hand...one had Cutthroat trout and the other a grizzly with a salmon in its teeth.

I would venture to say you won't be disappointed if the can is ice cold and the selection limited to adjuncts or crappy western micro-ale staples like Fat Tire.

11-17-2012 21:33:01 | More by HopAlongG
shirfan

2.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Clear fizzy yellow lager, ok head for the style.

Aroma is of grain and corn, not much else.

Flavor is more grain and corn with just a rumor of hops. For econo-swill, it's not terrible. Tastes like adjunct cheap beer with no real off flavors to speak of. Finishes light, dry, and clean.

There are much worse beers in the category.

01-28-2012 22:29:35 | More by shirfan
keeganfrank

3.15/5  rDev +27%

Light gold liquid with a foamy head that has decent retention. Smells of stale, dry grass and sugar. Very mild, dry flavor; tastes primarily of corn and grass. A surprising amount of lacing remains as the glass is emptied. Not an offensive brew, but nothing that I'm dying to drink all the time. I'd take it over a lot of other adjunct lagers.

12-29-2011 19:37:21 | More by keeganfrank
stakem

2.58/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to Eric for sharing. Reviewed back and March and I just found the notes now. Poured into a type of pilsner sensory glass, this brew appears a perfectly clear light yellow color with a finger of stringy white head. The strings of lace across the top of the brew also make their way onto the glassware. An eruption of carbonation constantly rises to the surface holding across the surface with a small circle of lace.

The smell of this brew is lightly reminiscent of stale hops. Some grassy and fruity sweet indications almost like bubblegum are evident mixed with sulfur. Collectively it is a bit of a strange mess of an aroma even for an adjunct brew.

The taste is corn-like with it's sweetness. There is a faint grain flavor which accents the excessive amount of sweetness to this brew that again is somewhat like a fruity type of original bubblegum flavoring. Light stale hops from the aroma make their way into the flavor here as well with a bit of a grassy flavor and a touch of sulfur hangs across the back and long into the aftertaste after each sip.

This is a light bodied brew with a fizzy amount of carbonation. It is fitting of the style and I guess this one is considerable enjoyable at freezing temperatures or when chugged. To sit and drink a few of these would be a pain if you are looking for something enjoyable to savor. I appreciate the chance to try it but no thanks on having it again.

07-10-2011 22:03:20 | More by stakem
Rifugium

1.02/5  rDev -58.9%

First had: can in a dorm room

Sweet! Oh wait, the other thing...not sweet.

Pale golden color, fizzy, with a delicate head of white bubbles. Looks like an adjunct, and is. Smell of corn and rotten grain, and not much different in the taste, with added skunk. Watered down, light body, and nearly undrinkable. Cheap though...

06-17-2011 21:48:05 | More by Rifugium
SickGnar

2.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Very pale, ever so slightly ambered yellow with obvious carbonation, but surprising foam cap and minimal lacing.

S: Grainy sweetness, pretty faint light malts, and a ghost whiff of hops. Rather plain and clean, but it is there and has no real offensiveness.

T: Grainy, vague sweetness. Adjuncts and slight cooked veggy. A bit of hop bitterness, but not really any flavor or character.

M: Body is just a hint over medium, but doesn't quite carry the active carbonation. Drying and crisp (almost sharp) finish.

D: It is what it is. Beer. But barely halfway between "Premium" and 1357. Of course the wildlife cans are pretty retro-cool. Not really better or worse than most BMC. Different and variety are good though - right?

12-10-2010 22:30:52 | More by SickGnar
jjanega08

3.9/5  rDev +57.3%

A= The can has a fish on it so it's gotta be good right??? The pour is an almost water color but it has a ting of a well hydrated persons piss. The head is actually rediculous rising to three fingers and holding some steady retention. The head is the color of a freshly fallen snow.

S= Not to bad. Sort of a sweet grainy smell to it. No hops present. There may be a little alcohol in there somewhere. Loads of corn.

T= The taste is water. If you splashed a little bit of sugar in water this is what it would be. Not bad by any means but not great either.

M= Pretty good. Not overcabonated which I expected.

D= A solid AAL. I expected a mess but then I realized fish on beer is usually pretty good. This is a decent beer but there are better options.

10-13-2010 01:23:43 | More by jjanega08
alabencki

3.53/5  rDev +42.3%

I had to drive all the way to Washington to try this beer (that isn't the only reason I went, but I figured, "hey, while I'm here I might as well...), and I was quite surprised. My great-uncle Ed used to drink this beer way back before I was born, back when my dad was small. Apparently it used to be available here in Michigan.

Look- popped the top of the can and a very large amount of foam came out of the top. It didn't overflow, but it came right out of the can. Pours typical pale straw adjunct lager color with a soapy looking white head.

Smell- Typical adjunct smell of corn and lager yeasts mixed with some pale malts. Nothing stands out as out of place, but nothing stands out of the ordinary either for this style.

Taste- Now this was a pleasant surprise. Not very bad at all. It has the flavor of a typical pale lager with a corn adjunct, but the corn isn't very overpowering and actually complements the flavor of this beer.

Overall- If I'm ever back in the Washington state area, or have a friend going there, I'll be sure to look or have them look for it! Worth the money. Nothing spectacular, but nothing that I wouldn't enjoy drinking again.

08-27-2010 00:41:52 | More by alabencki
industrialswill

Washington

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

You can't always judge a book by it's cover. I had never seen nor heard of Schmidt until moving to Washington in 1984. I asked the locals about it and was told that it was for white trash only. So, in order to protect my social status I never bothered to try it until this year.
To my surprise, it wasn't bad. I can find 12 oz 12 packs of it for less than most macro lagers.
It is a solid, simple lager that I like to drink either right out of the frig, or stored outside at cool temperatures. It's not a beer that gets foul if allowed to warm a little.
It's not strikingly different than many other macro lagers, but I think it has somewhat more flavor and body than it's peers.
It is getting increasingly more difficult to find, so I usually grab some if and when I come across it.

06-29-2010 13:27:44 | More by industrialswill
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

I've always enjoyed drinking Schmidt, when I've been able to get my hands on it (not sold in Louisiana). Schmidt has a thick, white head and a very clear, straw color. Carbonation is very high. The taste is stereotypical American style lager, although, Schmidt might be a shade sweeter than normal. Mouth-feel is light and watery. This beer finishes crisp and satisfying. I drank this sample poured from a 16 oz. can. Schmidt goes highly recommended by me. Give it a try.

RJT

06-14-2010 13:15:03 | More by RonaldTheriot
belgarion0002

2.85/5  rDev +14.9%

One of my favorite beers for when I am broke or going camping/fishing. This is a cheap no frills beer that I would definitely prefer to bud (buttwiper) or any big name generic beer in general. Would I drink this over a good full bodied beer... hell no. Not a bad cheap beer though.

05-29-2010 19:41:32 | More by belgarion0002
woodychandler

2.15/5  rDev -13.3%

CAN anything stop me in my CANQuest? I CAN't imagine ...

My CAN was the pictured ring-necked pheasant and the initial pour resulted in a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a pale golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was cereal-based adjunct lager all the way! Mouthfeel was kind of thin, even for the style and the taste was simply unobtrusive. This was about as close an example of the old chestnut love in a canoe as I have encountered in a long time. It was not hard to drink and could certainly take up some space in my cooler on a hot day of yard work or in a pinch as I head to the beach. It is not worth seeking out unless you are on a CANQuest of your own, though. Finish was equally mild, generally ho-hum overall.

01-29-2010 19:05:52 | More by woodychandler
tone77

2.83/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some corn. Taste is also mild, some corn and malts, not a lot of flavor. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall not a very good beer, but it is cheap.

01-24-2010 03:54:07 | More by tone77
WYVYRN527

2.2/5  rDev -11.3%

Yeah... The damn trout again... It seems every time this beer enters my home it has the same label. It pours a golden hue with a foamy white head that suprisingly retains quite well. The smell is a different story. Skunky, even though it came from a can. No malt can be detected, except for in the taste. Some toffee-like hints, followed by some astringent hop notes. Were the grains and hops second-hand? This beer is thin, off-flavored, and even beer-pongers should not use this one to fill their glasses. I remember when my dad used to drink this when I was a kid. I could smell it from a mile away, and it almost made me never want to drink beer.

01-22-2010 09:36:46 | More by WYVYRN527
fizzy

3.53/5  rDev +42.3%

i don't know why everybody wants beer like Schmidt, Hamms, Gluek, Grain Belt, and any of the original second string beers like Pfeiffer, Buckhorn, White Label and hundreds of others to taste like the new yuppie beers of today. These were beers made and consumed by our great grandfathers, grandfathers, and fathers. Even I got in on the 3x$7.50 craze for the 60s and 70s. Get over it, drink what you call "swill" and remember that there are still macros around that make beer far worse than any of those listed above.

And hey, $13.95/30pk at WestSide Liquor this week too!

And that's my 2 cents worth. BURP!

01-11-2010 00:42:43 | More by fizzy
mdwalsh

Iowa

3.78/5  rDev +52.4%

The can is a similar design to the one posted above, though mine has a grizzly instead of a pheasant. I'm afraid it may be rather old though, because the side says copywrite 2003 G. Heilman, Milwaukee. It's six years later and G. Heilman is now in Illinois....sketchy. We shall see.

A: Poured the down the side of the glass way, as I think is appropriate for an AAL. About a three finger head and pale golden body, but not the palest I've seen by far. A little active carbonation, but the head that sits on top of this crystal clear beer is fading fast.

S: A good strength, it smells sort of corny with maybe some evident pale malts. Not any hops though, of course.

T: Pretty watery, but other than that not bad at all. I can almost taste the cornsyrup though. There's this odd occasional jolt of sweetness. So the taste is a little inconsistant.

M: Very smooth, like water. Nothing to cause a gag reflex. Nothing to make you ponder about it though either

D: very good. Low carbonation, no off flavors to kill you, low ABV is seems.

09-28-2009 00:28:22 | More by mdwalsh
jjhuffo

3.5/5  rDev +41.1%

A good beer for: mowing the lawn; fishing on a hot summer day; tailgating; 4th of July picnics; family reunions; curing hangovers; and for when you are laid off from your job. I admire the consistency in these brews, an art in itself to produce a completely consistent beer batch after batch. If you are going to the game, and expect to drink lots of beer, snag a 30 pack for, say 14 bucks, and life is good. Make Memories while you can.

07-06-2009 20:56:42 | More by jjhuffo
lweaver18240

3.65/5  rDev +47.2%

Serving Type-Straight from the can like the good lord intended.

A-Can't go wrong with the animal pack, I personally prefer the portrayal of the rainbow trout. Simply beautiful.

S- Smells like you'd expect a working class macro to smell. Smells slightly sweet, not much else noticable except for the smell of the aluminum can.

T- I'm one of those drinkers with a soft spot for Schmidt's. The taste to me is very crisp and refreshing.

M- Light, smooth and slightly carbonated.

D- In my opinion drinkability is excellent. After half an animal pack, I would certainly be tempted to finish the other half in a night.

To me Schmidt's is an all purpose beer. I've been very happy to drink it often. While it doesn't suite the tastes of many as I've learned from my friends (more for me), it'll always be a favorite of mine.

06-13-2009 05:49:22 | More by lweaver18240
supercolter

Wisconsin

2.65/5  rDev +6.9%

Ok so appearance is not good, looks flat and no real head or lacing. Smell is also pretty bad, I'm finding a bit of oaty mlat flavor, but thats about it. Taste is a bit better, but not great still. The oaty flavor is present but I may detect a smidge of hops on the back end. Mouthfeel is decent, lots of carbonation. Drinkability is ok.

03-08-2009 22:29:09 | More by supercolter
TeamSeinfeld

4.05/5  rDev +63.3%

Appearance, drank straight from can. Smell, like beer, what do you expect. Taste, like an American Macro should taste. Mouthfeel and drinkability exceptional. This beer is one of my favorite Macro's. I put it up there with Budweiser, Coors Banquet, and Schlitz because it tastes great with nothing fancy. I'm sick and tired of beer snobs on this site giving macros a terrible rating if you don't like the Macro style, why rate it? Personally I enjoy craft beers, imports, and micro's but at the same time I get tired of their taste by the 6th beer of a six pack and am looking for something else. I never get sick Schmidt beer even if it is the 30th beer out of the 30pack and the can has been in the fridge for 3 weeks hiding behind some spoiled milk.

02-20-2009 20:45:08 | More by TeamSeinfeld
clayrock81

1.68/5  rDev -32.3%

It has been a while since I had this on a camping trip, but I recall the beer vividly because of the saying that accompany's this beer:
"Tastes like every other letter".
I don't think I have to explain that joke.
I do remember the beer slightly. It is made by Pabst, so I guess you could call this a generic Pabst, which is sad. Light, watery, grainy, cheap. Not a horrible curdling aftertaste like some cheap macros and better than getting a headache from some malt liquor. That's about it.

08-28-2008 19:51:55 | More by clayrock81
lehows

2.75/5  rDev +10.9%

Firstly, I will say that the sporting scenes on these cans kick ass. Pheasants, trout, deer, and bear will grab my attention anytime. The first time I had this beer was a few years ago and I can't even remember where I got it. But my good friends father just passed away and this is the only beer he really drank. He ordered cases of it at a time from his local beer store so we are slowly working through it. OK, so it pours a crisp golden yellow color. Only slightly deeper than your stereotypical "beer" color. Not much of a nose, typical lightly sweet and rice aromas. Hops are actually detectable but very light. The taste is crisp, clean, and pretty smooth. Nothing offensive but nothing great. I would put the beer just above others in the American Macro category. Like other people are saying on here, it's something to drink out of nostalgia or because it's around. And the cans are fun. A simple American light lager is all it is.

05-19-2008 15:07:51 | More by lehows
shadow1961

1.83/5  rDev -26.2%

Schmidt Premium pours a lofty creamy head over
a pale, clear brew. The nose is your typical macro
beer corn and rice funk. Carbonation is hyperactive
after a hard pour, but tapers off to a steady stream.
Flavor is slightly sweet corn with a hint of grass in the
finish, which I was a bit surprised by- still this is an old
man beer all the way. I love the rainbow trout on the can-
time was it was what was on the outside of the can that
distinguished a brew, not the contents (which were about
the same). I used to really like the cans with the scenes of
50's type pipe smoking dads hunting and fishing and
whatnot. It sure beats reality, which is real dad types swilling
beer just like this and pissing off the side of their boats or
having close calls in deer camp. Ahh well. Nostalgia kicks
ass but this beer does not. It would be funny seeing the look
on the face of one of those guys after they accidentally took a
big slug off a can of Bender thinking it was just like Schmidt...

09-15-2007 21:19:03 | More by shadow1961