Schmidt - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

3.67/5  rDev +42.8%

So I still manage to find this in bottles from time to time. I like this beer much more from a bottle than a can. The beer pours out as a typical yellowish beer color with a fizzy white head that doesn't leave a lacing at all. The smell of the beer has a delicate sweetness to it. The flavors are of some corn and grains not much hops here at all. The mouthfeel is light and highly drinkable. Overall Schimdt's isn't all that bad. I'd choose this beer over Miller, Coors, and Bud any day. I feel that if there was ever a time that I couldn't afford great beer, I'd settle into a friendship with Schmidt's.

2.88/5  rDev +12.1%

This basic American lager pours a crystal-clear straw gold body beneath a short-lived head of bright white froth that leaves only very minimal transient lacing about the glass. The nose is 'generic beer'; and the mouth feel is basically the same. It's nicely balanced and not as sweet as some others, but what minor hop flavor is there also seems muted. Overall this is just an average American lager that's best enjoyed cold at the corner tap room with some friends and a basket of pretzels.

1.03/5  rDev -59.9%

Details are hazy, but I'm pretty sure either this or Moosehead was the first beer I ever had. Fortunately I didn't give up after either of them.

Pale golden color, fizzy, with a delicate head of white bubbles. Looks like an adjunct, and is. Smell of corn and rotten grain, and not much different in the taste, with added skunk. Nothing unexpected here. Watered down, light body, and nearly undrinkable. Cheap though...

2.8/5  rDev +8.9%

"The brew that grew with the great Northwest."
A stag stares at me from the bottle..."Premium Beer", the label reads...is there any promise?

After realizing there were more options available at my niece's wedding reception at the Buffalo, MN American Legion besides Michelob Golden Draft Light, there were so many other choices to explore. Yet, I took this opportunity to investigate brews that aren't in my usual purview. Hence, my stab at Schmidt.

Typical pale yellow in my plastic cup, light white head.

Aroma is, well, beer-y, light, and slightly corny...

Taste: standard nothing beer ...light malt, no hops...absolutely drinkable, very little actually flavor, but...who needs it, eh? we're just drinkin', 'at's all,...BUUUURRRP!!!

Very average...which makes it true to style...nothing wrong with that...

2.25/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours very light straw yellow with a thin white head that eventually disappears from the scene.

The smell is of sweetness - combo of sweet grainy malt and plenty of adjuncts. A bitterness in the back that is muted.

The taste is of adjunctville. A bland, fizzy (seltzer-water-like) sweetness. Some vague touch of bland hops keeps some of the sweetness somewhat restrained. There's a sour chemical-like finish that lingers into the aftertaste.

It does have something to a body for it considering the style. Still, watery, but not worse than many other macros.

Well, I rated this as a cheap macro and that's what it is. But, can't say that I would prefer this over some others. Maybe fine very cold in extreme heat...but...
By the way, what's up with the "Beer that grew with the Northwest"? on the can...Someone needs a geography lesson.

2.61/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to Eric for sharing. Reviewed back and March and I just found the notes now. Poured into a type of pilsner sensory glass, this brew appears a perfectly clear light yellow color with a finger of stringy white head. The strings of lace across the top of the brew also make their way onto the glassware. An eruption of carbonation constantly rises to the surface holding across the surface with a small circle of lace.

The smell of this brew is lightly reminiscent of stale hops. Some grassy and fruity sweet indications almost like bubblegum are evident mixed with sulfur. Collectively it is a bit of a strange mess of an aroma even for an adjunct brew.

The taste is corn-like with it's sweetness. There is a faint grain flavor which accents the excessive amount of sweetness to this brew that again is somewhat like a fruity type of original bubblegum flavoring. Light stale hops from the aroma make their way into the flavor here as well with a bit of a grassy flavor and a touch of sulfur hangs across the back and long into the aftertaste after each sip.

This is a light bodied brew with a fizzy amount of carbonation. It is fitting of the style and I guess this one is considerable enjoyable at freezing temperatures or when chugged. To sit and drink a few of these would be a pain if you are looking for something enjoyable to savor. I appreciate the chance to try it but no thanks on having it again.

2.16/5  rDev -16%

CAN anything stop me in my CANQuest? I CAN't imagine ...

My CAN was the pictured ring-necked pheasant and the initial pour resulted in a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a pale golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was cereal-based adjunct lager all the way! Mouthfeel was kind of thin, even for the style and the taste was simply unobtrusive. This was about as close an example of the old chestnut love in a canoe as I have encountered in a long time. It was not hard to drink and could certainly take up some space in my cooler on a hot day of yard work or in a pinch as I head to the beach. It is not worth seeking out unless you are on a CANQuest of your own, though. Finish was equally mild, generally ho-hum overall.

2.84/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some corn. Taste is also mild, some corn and malts, not a lot of flavor. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall not a very good beer, but it is cheap.

2.55/5  rDev -0.8%

So was rooting around in my parents fridge and found out my PBR loving dad found this obscure PBR beer under their label. Good enough time is any to grab a tick!

A - I find it hard to rate the appearance more than a 3 simply because it doesn't look that impressive.

S - Corn and corn syrup. Chemical skunk and lager yeasts. Standard lager smells.

T - Not very zippy like most craft lagers. Kind of flat and very thick corn syrup taste. I don't taste much in the hop department but unfortunately it taste more like water. I even expected some skunk flavor from the chemical smell but it's just... watery. Not bad but not great.

M - Again like sweet corn alcohol. It doesn't even feel fizzy enough to be beer.

Overall I am not very impressed even though I can actually get it down it doesn't make for a very tasty lager one bit. Guess my old man likes it so it must be cool...

1.7/5  rDev -33.9%

It has been a while since I had this on a camping trip, but I recall the beer vividly because of the saying that accompany's this beer:
"Tastes like every other letter".
I don't think I have to explain that joke.
I do remember the beer slightly. It is made by Pabst, so I guess you could call this a generic Pabst, which is sad. Light, watery, grainy, cheap. Not a horrible curdling aftertaste like some cheap macros and better than getting a headache from some malt liquor. That's about it.

2.48/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Camo can drank at Kelly's Saloon in Geneseo, NY. Giddy-up!

I have a weird affinity with this beer, I love it, even though it's absolutely disgusting. Not a good beer by any stretch of the word. But it's my beer of choice at Kelly's, the dingy hangout of veteran Geneseo students.

Never poured it out, but I know it's pretty yellow and clear.

Smells metallic (from the can, obviously) and a little bit sweet.

There's a tiny little hop bite (or carbonation bite, can't really tell), followed by sweet, slightly sickening malt flavor. Drink this one fast or it will get super nasty.

Light, crisp mouthfeel. Eminently poundable.

I'm probably rating this higher than it actually deserves.

2.51/5  rDev -2.3%

*Those old wildlife cans of the 70's and 80's were the best fucking cans around...I was too young to drink the beer then but will give it a go with the 07 version brewed by Pabst now.

A-Very clean looking....appears highly carbonated....light golden colored.

S-Cooked corn....adjuncts...

T-Leans sweet...more cooked corn....very subtle off flavor on the finish...

M-Creamy and relatively full bodied.

D-Not the worst out there but not in the top tier of macros. It is heavy enough that it is not a real wham, bam, slam it down type beer...more of a full flavored maco but the slight off taste hurts this score...All-in-all it's drinkable but I'd reach for something else if searching for a cheap macro...(Like Schlitz)

2.46/5  rDev -4.3%

Well, there's only so much you can do beer-wse when you're enjoying a great fishing trip with good friends in a remote lodge in far, far northern Minnesota. Besides, it was happy hour, 2-4-1 & the bottle had a deer on it! Sweet!

Really, this isn't as bad as I recall. Taste is just as one would expect for the style, fizzy, grainy, limp bits of corn are all detectable. Really drinkable as long as you don't leave it in the cup holder of the boat & forget about it while fishing...drink it cold, boys.

A forgettable beer, but when fishing, do as the fishermen do.

2.21/5  rDev -14%

Appearance – Very light yellow in color with some live carbonation and a puffy white head that lasted a few minutes and left some nice lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell – I’ve learned to buy American macros in cans, so I didn’t encounter any skunk here. What I did find though was a horrible, nasty rendition of grain that left me gagging.

Taste – This is cheap beer at its best. The sharp, ricey grain screams “frat party”, but the finish wasn’t as bad as some American macros.

Mouthfeel – Cheap, thin, fizzy, and just plain horrible.

Drinkability – I wouldn’t exactly call it “drinkable”, but I’ve had a lot worst.

1.58/5  rDev -38.5%

I really try to keep an open mind, especially with some of the under-regarded macro beers. I have to say that I gave this one the benefit of the doubt, but the beer has pitifully little to redeem itself. Pours a pale yellow with a flat, unattractive head. Aroma is very faint, but a mild vegetable smell emerges as the beer warms. Taste is hollow and empty....with little to no bittering. Not much more to say....simply forgettable.

2.5/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

thebeer may not be very good, but it has to get some credit for the raunbow trout on the can. Poured a pale yellow color with puffy white head. Smell is slightly sweet. Taste is clean because there is no taste. Mouthfeel is clean because there is no mouthfeel. Refreshing, mostly because of its similarity to water.

2.75/5  rDev +7%

$.25, how can I resist?
Deer photo on can. Made by whatever remains of G. Heileman.
Much lighter gold/yellow in color than I expected. Big, full, fizzy bright white head that disappeared into nothing really quickly.
Sour malty aroma with fairly strong hop presence (in the beginning). Fairly typical with a strong sourness than most.
Strong biting carbonation and bitterness at first. Smooths into malt dominated flavors with a light and lingering finish of mild bitterness and dryness. Some sourness with flavors as well and that becomes stronger with more sips.
Biting carbonation that's sharp and generally unpleasant. Appropriately thin.
I keep using the word sour, but that's what it is. That's refreshing on the one hand, but in this case it's not balanced with nice fruity flavors or other possibly pleasing sensations. Thirst quenching enough, but so heavily carbonated that is makes it tough to drink quickly. On a hot day that doesn't bode well for any beer of this style, and the adjuncts (corn) make their strong appearance as this warms. My memories are better than my current experience (not that this was ever one of my favorites oh so long ago).

I've always enjoyed drinking Schmidt, when I've been able to get my hands on it (not sold in Louisiana). Schmidt has a thick, white head and a very clear, straw color. Carbonation is very high. The taste is stereotypical American style lager, although, Schmidt might be a shade sweeter than normal. Mouth-feel is light and watery. This beer finishes crisp and satisfying. I drank this sample poured from a 16 oz. can. Schmidt goes highly recommended by me. Give it a try.

1.33/5  rDev -48.2%

This is the first can from the miracle case. A case that I bought off the store shelf at room temperature, but was ice cold when I got home 5 minutes later. A miracle, indeed! Holy light gold color, wow. Looks like cider with it's visible carbonation, except for it's large, fast-fading head. Light grain in the nose, and not much else. Taste is also straight cereal grain and adjuncts. Not a lot of malt, and a level of hops that could be good for people with stomach ulcers. Just another boring macro lager.

After having a couple of these, they are really getting to me in a bad way. Metallic and unpleasent, this is a really bad beer.

1.9/5  rDev -26.1%

Appearance - Pale gold color with a small white head with poor retention.

Smell - Somewhat sweet - grain and corn.

Taste - not a lot of flavor. Some sweetness, nothing great.

Mouthfeel - High carbonation, thin and watery.

Drinkability - Not my favorite beer.

1.5/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

pours out a mega fizzy light golden colour. the fizzy head dies in seconds, leaving a glass full active bubbles. adjunct aroma of cooked corn. pretty bland taste, adjunct filled, with hints of harshness around the edges. not even a good slammer or thirst quencher because it really has no redeeming qualities, other than the nostalgia surrounding the brand name. and sadly, not even that can make this beer really drinkable. this is low rung even for the bottom of the barrel macro crap.

schmidt's (or schmidt, as it was formerly known as) used to be a minnesota icon and a quality beer. i miss those "big mouth" bottles and the outdoor scenery on the old cans. the brew that grew with the great northwest has been bastardized and dumbed down to the point of embarrasment. to bad this and hamm's couldn't have been saved like grain belt was. oh well......

3.88/5  rDev +51%

A= The can has a fish on it so it's gotta be good right??? The pour is an almost water color but it has a ting of a well hydrated persons piss. The head is actually rediculous rising to three fingers and holding some steady retention. The head is the color of a freshly fallen snow.

S= Not to bad. Sort of a sweet grainy smell to it. No hops present. There may be a little alcohol in there somewhere. Loads of corn.

T= The taste is water. If you splashed a little bit of sugar in water this is what it would be. Not bad by any means but not great either.

M= Pretty good. Not overcabonated which I expected.

D= A solid AAL. I expected a mess but then I realized fish on beer is usually pretty good. This is a decent beer but there are better options.

1.65/5  rDev -35.8%

This is a beer that you would be better off sampling one of the company's other offerings. The taste is bitter, the color is very light and the taste just leaves a very bad aftertaste.

3.21/5  rDev +24.9%

“Premium Beer” you say?

This beer came a dark crystal gold with a tall white head. Smelled of dry ash and corn with a sweet and musky yeast. Tasted of sweet cornflakes with a smooth baking yeast finish. The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with a light and easy carbonation. Over all, this beer isn’t very inspiring, but its clean, refreshing flavor and easy going mouth feel make this beer really easy to drink.

1.9/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Haha... Small white head that's gone in a flash, no lacing, palest yellow even by AAL standards. Aroma of husky grain, zero hops, metallic. There's very little flavor going on, light and crisp, watery, some grainy malts but almost no body. This beer is just not very good. I'd stick with Grain Belt.

Schmidt from Pabst Brewing Company