Schmidt - Pabst Brewing Company

American Adjunct Lager |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
1.9/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Haha... Small white head that's gone in a flash, no lacing, palest yellow even by AAL standards. Aroma of husky grain, zero hops, metallic. There's very little flavor going on, light and crisp, watery, some grainy malts but almost no body. This beer is just not very good. I'd stick with Grain Belt.

2.6/5  rDev +1.2%

Ok so appearance is not good, looks flat and no real head or lacing. Smell is also pretty bad, I'm finding a bit of oaty mlat flavor, but thats about it. Taste is a bit better, but not great still. The oaty flavor is present but I may detect a smidge of hops on the back end. Mouthfeel is decent, lots of carbonation. Drinkability is ok.

Appearance, drank straight from can. Smell, like beer, what do you expect. Taste, like an American Macro should taste. Mouthfeel and drinkability exceptional. This beer is one of my favorite Macro's. I put it up there with Budweiser, Coors Banquet, and Schlitz because it tastes great with nothing fancy. I'm sick and tired of beer snobs on this site giving macros a terrible rating if you don't like the Macro style, why rate it? Personally I enjoy craft beers, imports, and micro's but at the same time I get tired of their taste by the 6th beer of a six pack and am looking for something else. I never get sick Schmidt beer even if it is the 30th beer out of the 30pack and the can has been in the fridge for 3 weeks hiding behind some spoiled milk.

1.7/5  rDev -33.9%

It has been a while since I had this on a camping trip, but I recall the beer vividly because of the saying that accompany's this beer:
"Tastes like every other letter".
I don't think I have to explain that joke.
I do remember the beer slightly. It is made by Pabst, so I guess you could call this a generic Pabst, which is sad. Light, watery, grainy, cheap. Not a horrible curdling aftertaste like some cheap macros and better than getting a headache from some malt liquor. That's about it.

2.71/5  rDev +5.4%

Firstly, I will say that the sporting scenes on these cans kick ass. Pheasants, trout, deer, and bear will grab my attention anytime. The first time I had this beer was a few years ago and I can't even remember where I got it. But my good friends father just passed away and this is the only beer he really drank. He ordered cases of it at a time from his local beer store so we are slowly working through it. OK, so it pours a crisp golden yellow color. Only slightly deeper than your stereotypical "beer" color. Not much of a nose, typical lightly sweet and rice aromas. Hops are actually detectable but very light. The taste is crisp, clean, and pretty smooth. Nothing offensive but nothing great. I would put the beer just above others in the American Macro category. Like other people are saying on here, it's something to drink out of nostalgia or because it's around. And the cans are fun. A simple American light lager is all it is.

1.84/5  rDev -28.4%

Schmidt Premium pours a lofty creamy head over
a pale, clear brew. The nose is your typical macro
beer corn and rice funk. Carbonation is hyperactive
after a hard pour, but tapers off to a steady stream.
Flavor is slightly sweet corn with a hint of grass in the
finish, which I was a bit surprised by- still this is an old
man beer all the way. I love the rainbow trout on the can-
time was it was what was on the outside of the can that
distinguished a brew, not the contents (which were about
the same). I used to really like the cans with the scenes of
50's type pipe smoking dads hunting and fishing and
whatnot. It sure beats reality, which is real dad types swilling
beer just like this and pissing off the side of their boats or
having close calls in deer camp. Ahh well. Nostalgia kicks
ass but this beer does not. It would be funny seeing the look
on the face of one of those guys after they accidentally took a
big slug off a can of Bender thinking it was just like Schmidt...

2.1/5  rDev -18.3%

12 oz can...fish on this particular can, design looks surprisingly similar to Bell's Two Hearted. That's where the similarities end.

Clear pale gold color. Slightly grassy, mostly corn aroma of sweet pale malts. First sip is sweet up-front but all favor fades pretty quick. It is light-bodied and fairly refreshing, as water must be a close relative of this beer.

You know, you have to be in the right setting to really enjoy a beer like this..90 degrees, fishing in the middle of a lake somewhere, and no Gumballhead in sight.

Really not a horrible macro, just don't expect too much.

2.23/5  rDev -13.2%

Got this right from the can. Mine had a deer on it... goddammit.

Well, this is a short story: it tastes like your standard american macro lager with a hint of cardboard in it. It was like I was drinking natty light out of one of those 1/2-pint cardboard milk cartons.

2.75/5  rDev +7%

$.25, how can I resist?
Deer photo on can. Made by whatever remains of G. Heileman.
Much lighter gold/yellow in color than I expected. Big, full, fizzy bright white head that disappeared into nothing really quickly.
Sour malty aroma with fairly strong hop presence (in the beginning). Fairly typical with a strong sourness than most.
Strong biting carbonation and bitterness at first. Smooths into malt dominated flavors with a light and lingering finish of mild bitterness and dryness. Some sourness with flavors as well and that becomes stronger with more sips.
Biting carbonation that's sharp and generally unpleasant. Appropriately thin.
I keep using the word sour, but that's what it is. That's refreshing on the one hand, but in this case it's not balanced with nice fruity flavors or other possibly pleasing sensations. Thirst quenching enough, but so heavily carbonated that is makes it tough to drink quickly. On a hot day that doesn't bode well for any beer of this style, and the adjuncts (corn) make their strong appearance as this warms. My memories are better than my current experience (not that this was ever one of my favorites oh so long ago).

2.25/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours very light straw yellow with a thin white head that eventually disappears from the scene.

The smell is of sweetness - combo of sweet grainy malt and plenty of adjuncts. A bitterness in the back that is muted.

The taste is of adjunctville. A bland, fizzy (seltzer-water-like) sweetness. Some vague touch of bland hops keeps some of the sweetness somewhat restrained. There's a sour chemical-like finish that lingers into the aftertaste.

It does have something to a body for it considering the style. Still, watery, but not worse than many other macros.

Well, I rated this as a cheap macro and that's what it is. But, can't say that I would prefer this over some others. Maybe fine very cold in extreme heat...but...
By the way, what's up with the "Beer that grew with the Northwest"? on the can...Someone needs a geography lesson.

2.43/5  rDev -5.4%

a: pale golden color with about a quarter inch of head that dissapears fast leaving a very little amount of lacing
s: adjuncts, kind of a corn aroma followed by a little hop piny aroma
t: not much better than the aroma, corn grains slight hop bitterness
m: medium to light bodied a lot of carbonation

overall this isnt bad for a cheap beer i did enjoy the can though

2.51/5  rDev -2.3%

*Those old wildlife cans of the 70's and 80's were the best fucking cans around...I was too young to drink the beer then but will give it a go with the 07 version brewed by Pabst now.

A-Very clean looking....appears highly carbonated....light golden colored.

S-Cooked corn....adjuncts...

T-Leans sweet...more cooked corn....very subtle off flavor on the finish...

M-Creamy and relatively full bodied.

D-Not the worst out there but not in the top tier of macros. It is heavy enough that it is not a real wham, bam, slam it down type beer...more of a full flavored maco but the slight off taste hurts this score...All-in-all it's drinkable but I'd reach for something else if searching for a cheap macro...(Like Schlitz)

2.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Oddly enough, amongst all the schwag beers out there, one finds a preferred beer to bide his or her time on when the cash flow is low. Mine has predominantly been Schmidts. It is a touch cleaner and smoother (or maybe just fresher) than the other economy macros, and doesn't leave me with a feeling that I've been licking the floor mats of my buddy's filthy truck. I had me plenty of good ol' times on this one, and it never let me down. Not that long ago - just 6 or 7 years ago it still used to be 1.99 a sixer at my local grocery. They changed the classic logo, and put lions and tigers and what not on it, and raised the price, so I just buggered off and found another suitable low-brow penny pincher. Good times though.

1.97/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured from a can featuring a 10-point buck on the label.

A: Clear and yellow. Lots of big carbonation bubbles. Poured with a thin, but dense head.

S: Metallic and sour. Kind of like a can of green beans. Something of an asparagus quality. Very vegetal and not too subtle.

T: Bright tinny flavor. Hard to get past the smell. I think the carbonation is a distinct flavor unto itself. Pretty sure there's some corn flavor in the mid-tones.

M: A lot of carbonation. Otherwise mouthcoating and a bit astringent.

D: Really, if I could get past the smell I probably drink a few. I dare say this one would be better served in the can rather than poured into a glass.

Overall: Definitely not the worst beer I've had, but it's smell and overcarbonation is difficult to get past.

2.56/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nice looking can....has a brown chicken with a green head and a white necklace...think it was shot in the eye cause it is a bit red around there.

...anyway, it pours golden, a bit more dark than the light with a still foamy white head that leaves nice lacing. The aroma is cooked grains and not to much more...spicy hops way back.

The flavor is a bit more sweet, a bit of malt and cooked grains.

It is easy drinking of course...it is light bodied of couse...

....the light is better...that is why me and the Magic Fucking WoodDuck drank it...OAR...

...Need...Some ....More ...Beer...Dude...

3.21/5  rDev +24.9%

“Premium Beer” you say?

This beer came a dark crystal gold with a tall white head. Smelled of dry ash and corn with a sweet and musky yeast. Tasted of sweet cornflakes with a smooth baking yeast finish. The mouth feel was light to medium bodied with a light and easy carbonation. Over all, this beer isn’t very inspiring, but its clean, refreshing flavor and easy going mouth feel make this beer really easy to drink.

2.88/5  rDev +12.1%

This basic American lager pours a crystal-clear straw gold body beneath a short-lived head of bright white froth that leaves only very minimal transient lacing about the glass. The nose is 'generic beer'; and the mouth feel is basically the same. It's nicely balanced and not as sweet as some others, but what minor hop flavor is there also seems muted. Overall this is just an average American lager that's best enjoyed cold at the corner tap room with some friends and a basket of pretzels.

2.5/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

thebeer may not be very good, but it has to get some credit for the raunbow trout on the can. Poured a pale yellow color with puffy white head. Smell is slightly sweet. Taste is clean because there is no taste. Mouthfeel is clean because there is no mouthfeel. Refreshing, mostly because of its similarity to water.

2.8/5  rDev +8.9%

"The brew that grew with the great Northwest."
A stag stares at me from the bottle..."Premium Beer", the label reads...is there any promise?

After realizing there were more options available at my niece's wedding reception at the Buffalo, MN American Legion besides Michelob Golden Draft Light, there were so many other choices to explore. Yet, I took this opportunity to investigate brews that aren't in my usual purview. Hence, my stab at Schmidt.

Typical pale yellow in my plastic cup, light white head.

Aroma is, well, beer-y, light, and slightly corny...

Taste: standard nothing beer ...light malt, no hops...absolutely drinkable, very little actually flavor, but...who needs it, eh? we're just drinkin', 'at's all,...BUUUURRRP!!!

Very average...which makes it true to style...nothing wrong with that...

3.67/5  rDev +42.8%

I feel that this beer is severely underrated. It tastes much better than your normal, run of the mill cheap swill. I much prefer it to the much more expensive Budweiser. I am on my 3rd can at this moment, and i am nowhere near sick of it, as many others seem to have gotten. The appearance is wonderful. It is so refreshing to see such a manly case with bears and fish and deer all over it. And the pheasant on the can is an excellent touch as well. The smell is nothing special, however, and it feels a little like metallic water, but hey, at $10.49 for 24 of these, it is much better than expected.

1.33/5  rDev -48.2%

This is the first can from the miracle case. A case that I bought off the store shelf at room temperature, but was ice cold when I got home 5 minutes later. A miracle, indeed! Holy light gold color, wow. Looks like cider with it's visible carbonation, except for it's large, fast-fading head. Light grain in the nose, and not much else. Taste is also straight cereal grain and adjuncts. Not a lot of malt, and a level of hops that could be good for people with stomach ulcers. Just another boring macro lager.

After having a couple of these, they are really getting to me in a bad way. Metallic and unpleasent, this is a really bad beer.

2.59/5  rDev +0.8%

When I was still in school I used to drink this once I was too sloshed to handle the 10 second pour mixed drinks at the local dive bar (Kelly's, in Geneseo). Kelly's seemed to be the only place in town that had it, and now that I live in florida I can't find it.

Appearance. I really have no idea what this beer looks like, since I always drank it straight from the can. I gave it a three five because I really liked the picture of the mountain lion on the bold red can. from the way it tasted, I can be pretty sure that was straw to yellow in color with a light white head and a ton of bubbles due to artifcial carbonation.
Smell: I remember it smelling like cigarettes, dirty rags and marijuana (perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I always drank it in a dive bar)
Taste: Standard watery beer flavors. Smooth and unoffensive are about the best things I can say about it.
Drinkability: This is frat party swill, so of course drinkability is its best attribute if you can get past the nasty taste.

3.47/5  rDev +35%

Pours out clear yellow with fast fading bubbly white head. maybe a shade darker in color than an MGD but very much macro-standard in appearance.

smells buttery and like some sort of bland, generic "spice." it's a good smell but it is very muted - nearly undetectable.

tastes good. nothing real special, but lacking your typical bland, sour macro nastiness. buttery in flavor, and slightly slick (though moderately light) in texture. has just a hint of hop bite that complements the butter flavor well. also has a pleasant "earthy" aftertaste that i find nice, but suspicious. to me it doesn't taste like something that...would come naturally in this type of beer.

Beware that this has been known to cause headaches.

Schmidt's is my favorite shitty beer.

2.21/5  rDev -14%

Appearance – Very light yellow in color with some live carbonation and a puffy white head that lasted a few minutes and left some nice lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell – I’ve learned to buy American macros in cans, so I didn’t encounter any skunk here. What I did find though was a horrible, nasty rendition of grain that left me gagging.

Taste – This is cheap beer at its best. The sharp, ricey grain screams “frat party”, but the finish wasn’t as bad as some American macros.

Mouthfeel – Cheap, thin, fizzy, and just plain horrible.

Drinkability – I wouldn’t exactly call it “drinkable”, but I’ve had a lot worst.

3.12/5  rDev +21.4%

Like it's big brother, Scmidt's is a hopelessly underrated beer. You're not meant to inspect it and treat it as a craft beer, because, simply, it's not. The proper glass for this is your favourite pint glass and the perfect food to compliment this would be a pizza. I love this beer more than I can say. It has been a favourate in my family for generations.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast