Schmidt - Pabst Brewing Company

SchmidtSchmidt

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)

2.9/5  rDev +16.5%

Clear fizzy yellow lager, ok head for the style.

Aroma is of grain and corn, not much else.

Flavor is more grain and corn with just a rumor of hops. For econo-swill, it's not terrible. Tastes like adjunct cheap beer with no real off flavors to speak of. Finishes light, dry, and clean.

There are much worse beers in the category.

2.5/5  rDev +0.4%

3.15/5  rDev +26.5%

Light gold liquid with a foamy head that has decent retention. Smells of stale, dry grass and sugar. Very mild, dry flavor; tastes primarily of corn and grass. A surprising amount of lacing remains as the glass is emptied. Not an offensive brew, but nothing that I'm dying to drink all the time. I'd take it over a lot of other adjunct lagers.

2.5/5  rDev +0.4%

2.58/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to Eric for sharing. Reviewed back and March and I just found the notes now. Poured into a type of pilsner sensory glass, this brew appears a perfectly clear light yellow color with a finger of stringy white head. The strings of lace across the top of the brew also make their way onto the glassware. An eruption of carbonation constantly rises to the surface holding across the surface with a small circle of lace.

The smell of this brew is lightly reminiscent of stale hops. Some grassy and fruity sweet indications almost like bubblegum are evident mixed with sulfur. Collectively it is a bit of a strange mess of an aroma even for an adjunct brew.

The taste is corn-like with it's sweetness. There is a faint grain flavor which accents the excessive amount of sweetness to this brew that again is somewhat like a fruity type of original bubblegum flavoring. Light stale hops from the aroma make their way into the flavor here as well with a bit of a grassy flavor and a touch of sulfur hangs across the back and long into the aftertaste after each sip.

This is a light bodied brew with a fizzy amount of carbonation. It is fitting of the style and I guess this one is considerable enjoyable at freezing temperatures or when chugged. To sit and drink a few of these would be a pain if you are looking for something enjoyable to savor. I appreciate the chance to try it but no thanks on having it again.

2.45/5  rDev -1.6%

Well, there's only so much you can do beer-wse when you're enjoying a great fishing trip with good friends in a remote lodge in far, far northern Minnesota. Besides, it was happy hour, 2-4-1 & the bottle had a deer on it! Sweet!

Really, this isn't as bad as I recall. Taste is just as one would expect for the style, fizzy, grainy, limp bits of corn are all detectable. Really drinkable as long as you don't leave it in the cup holder of the boat & forget about it while fishing...drink it cold, boys.

A forgettable beer, but when fishing, do as the fishermen do.

3.7/5  rDev +48.6%

So I still manage to find this in bottles from time to time. I like this beer much more from a bottle than a can. The beer pours out as a typical yellowish beer color with a fizzy white head that doesn't leave a lacing at all. The smell of the beer has a delicate sweetness to it. The flavors are of some corn and grains not much hops here at all. The mouthfeel is light and highly drinkable. Overall Schimdt's isn't all that bad. I'd choose this beer over Miller, Coors, and Bud any day. I feel that if there was ever a time that I couldn't afford great beer, I'd settle into a friendship with Schmidt's.

1.03/5  rDev -58.6%

Details are hazy, but I'm pretty sure either this or Moosehead was the first beer I ever had. Fortunately I didn't give up after either of them.

Pale golden color, fizzy, with a delicate head of white bubbles. Looks like an adjunct, and is. Smell of corn and rotten grain, and not much different in the taste, with added skunk. Nothing unexpected here. Watered down, light body, and nearly undrinkable. Cheap though...

2.53/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Very pale, ever so slightly ambered yellow with obvious carbonation, but surprising foam cap and minimal lacing.

S: Grainy sweetness, pretty faint light malts, and a ghost whiff of hops. Rather plain and clean, but it is there and has no real offensiveness.

T: Grainy, vague sweetness. Adjuncts and slight cooked veggy. A bit of hop bitterness, but not really any flavor or character.

M: Body is just a hint over medium, but doesn't quite carry the active carbonation. Drying and crisp (almost sharp) finish.

D: It is what it is. Beer. But barely halfway between "Premium" and 1357. Of course the wildlife cans are pretty retro-cool. Not really better or worse than most BMC. Different and variety are good though - right?

3.9/5  rDev +56.6%

A= The can has a fish on it so it's gotta be good right??? The pour is an almost water color but it has a ting of a well hydrated persons piss. The head is actually rediculous rising to three fingers and holding some steady retention. The head is the color of a freshly fallen snow.

S= Not to bad. Sort of a sweet grainy smell to it. No hops present. There may be a little alcohol in there somewhere. Loads of corn.

T= The taste is water. If you splashed a little bit of sugar in water this is what it would be. Not bad by any means but not great either.

M= Pretty good. Not overcabonated which I expected.

D= A solid AAL. I expected a mess but then I realized fish on beer is usually pretty good. This is a decent beer but there are better options.

3.53/5  rDev +41.8%

I had to drive all the way to Washington to try this beer (that isn't the only reason I went, but I figured, "hey, while I'm here I might as well...), and I was quite surprised. My great-uncle Ed used to drink this beer way back before I was born, back when my dad was small. Apparently it used to be available here in Michigan.

Look- popped the top of the can and a very large amount of foam came out of the top. It didn't overflow, but it came right out of the can. Pours typical pale straw adjunct lager color with a soapy looking white head.

Smell- Typical adjunct smell of corn and lager yeasts mixed with some pale malts. Nothing stands out as out of place, but nothing stands out of the ordinary either for this style.

Taste- Now this was a pleasant surprise. Not very bad at all. It has the flavor of a typical pale lager with a corn adjunct, but the corn isn't very overpowering and actually complements the flavor of this beer.

Overall- If I'm ever back in the Washington state area, or have a friend going there, I'll be sure to look or have them look for it! Worth the money. Nothing spectacular, but nothing that I wouldn't enjoy drinking again.

3.53/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

You can't always judge a book by it's cover. I had never seen nor heard of Schmidt until moving to Washington in 1984. I asked the locals about it and was told that it was for white trash only. So, in order to protect my social status I never bothered to try it until this year.
To my surprise, it wasn't bad. I can find 12 oz 12 packs of it for less than most macro lagers.
It is a solid, simple lager that I like to drink either right out of the frig, or stored outside at cool temperatures. It's not a beer that gets foul if allowed to warm a little.
It's not strikingly different than many other macro lagers, but I think it has somewhat more flavor and body than it's peers.
It is getting increasingly more difficult to find, so I usually grab some if and when I come across it.

I've always enjoyed drinking Schmidt, when I've been able to get my hands on it (not sold in Louisiana). Schmidt has a thick, white head and a very clear, straw color. Carbonation is very high. The taste is stereotypical American style lager, although, Schmidt might be a shade sweeter than normal. Mouth-feel is light and watery. This beer finishes crisp and satisfying. I drank this sample poured from a 16 oz. can. Schmidt goes highly recommended by me. Give it a try.

RJT

2.85/5  rDev +14.5%

One of my favorite beers for when I am broke or going camping/fishing. This is a cheap no frills beer that I would definitely prefer to bud (buttwiper) or any big name generic beer in general. Would I drink this over a good full bodied beer... hell no. Not a bad cheap beer though.

2.15/5  rDev -13.7%

CAN anything stop me in my CANQuest? I CAN't imagine ...

My CAN was the pictured ring-necked pheasant and the initial pour resulted in a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a pale golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was cereal-based adjunct lager all the way! Mouthfeel was kind of thin, even for the style and the taste was simply unobtrusive. This was about as close an example of the old chestnut love in a canoe as I have encountered in a long time. It was not hard to drink and could certainly take up some space in my cooler on a hot day of yard work or in a pinch as I head to the beach. It is not worth seeking out unless you are on a CANQuest of your own, though. Finish was equally mild, generally ho-hum overall.

2.83/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some corn. Taste is also mild, some corn and malts, not a lot of flavor. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall not a very good beer, but it is cheap.

2.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Yeah... The damn trout again... It seems every time this beer enters my home it has the same label. It pours a golden hue with a foamy white head that suprisingly retains quite well. The smell is a different story. Skunky, even though it came from a can. No malt can be detected, except for in the taste. Some toffee-like hints, followed by some astringent hop notes. Were the grains and hops second-hand? This beer is thin, off-flavored, and even beer-pongers should not use this one to fill their glasses. I remember when my dad used to drink this when I was a kid. I could smell it from a mile away, and it almost made me never want to drink beer.

Schmidt from Pabst Brewing Company