Olympia Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.78% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-28-2002)

I bought a 24 pack of this beer for $12 last time I went to the USA. I wish I had not bought it. I nearly poured it down the drain.

I waited until the beer was ice cold, then had my first one. I wasn't expecting much, but I thought at least it would be like your typical American beer, you know, low on flavour, high on carbonation, etc. This beer had enough flavour, its just that the flavour was horrible, it was like corn or something, the mouth feel was not pleasant either and the pour and apperance was not working for me either. It was pale yellow with little to no head that if there was a head it lasted all of 5 seconds.

I guess I got what I paid for! :)

1.27/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This was awful, only bought this when I was in college and couldn't afford what I thought back then was good beer(Corona and Heiniken). 12 pack for $3.50 great price for poor college kids that wanted to party. Taste and mouthfeel was horrible but it never stopped me from drinking it all I wanted at the time was to get shitfaced. It had a real tin taste to it also I can remember corn and pale yellow color with a thick frothy white head. I only poured this into a real glass a couple of times other than that this was good to shotgun and pour into those plastic red or blue cups that are good for playing beer pong. Horrible crap.

1.35/5  rDev -47.7%

"It's The Water" -- "Oly" as it's called is famous for it's water source, artesian wells, which are aquafers first named in Artois, France. Olympia itself carries the name of the town it's brewed in -- Olympia,
WA. The standard joke is that "it's the water" that makes you pee, and pee, and pee . . . along with the other jab, "You don't buy beer, you only rent it."

This stuff is pretty generic, unremarkable, macro-brew. Way back in the day (1950's) it was the women who drank Oly, and the men drank something with more body. It's as close to water as you can get and still be carded for proof of age.

On the bottles the labels used to have "dots" on the back. A "four dot" label was traditionally viewed as a sort of coupon for sexual favors. That's the tradition. Actually, the dots note which bottling line the bottle in the brewery rolled off of. There were four bottling lines.

Now, some family history:

ALL my relatives, and there were a lot of them, drank Oly. There was once the remark at a family gathering, circa 1964, that when my family stops drinking Oly, the brewery will go out of business. Ironically, most of my family has passed on, and the Olympia brewing company was bought out by Pabst.

When I was in the military, 1960's, Oly was offered at the PX on the west coast bases. I associated it with "home" and so my brand loyalty grew out of family association and nostalgia.

It's still nostalgic. The brewery in Olympia, WA actually has preserved and maintained the waterfall and bridge depicted on the label.

It passes for beer. But mostly it's all tied up in a lot of family memories.

1.5/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

1.53/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours with very little head retention. Smell is like grass, a little burnt. Color is light pale straw. Taste is bitter, with only a slight hint of hops. Taste is mostly played out grains (corn/oat). Not a very pleasant beer but very cheap. I could get a 12 pack for $3.99 in California. Overall, I would avoid this in cans. I have heard on tap it's quite a bit better.

Olympia Beer from Pabst Brewing Company