Big Bear Premium Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Big Bear Premium Malt LiquorBig Bear Premium Malt Liquor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-20-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Wisconsin

07-17-2013 01:31:19 | More by kurtulbricht
woodychandler

1.93/5  rDev -21.2%

An empty bottle for the pic?!? This Big Bear deserves to be shown in all of his 40-oz. glory!

From the bottle: "The Superior Malt Liquor".

Today was such an all-around success that I felt compelled to celebrate. My mayoral campaign is ramping up, I made my banner for my porch today, I visited with my uncle, laundry and dishes are both done, my weekend plans are cemented and I want to drink some beer. It is just too bad that they do not put more AMLs into CANs ...

I began with two fingers of fizzy french vanilla-colored head that hung in pretty well in the face of the humidity that is helping to keep me up tonight. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity and suddenly Croesus and King Midas were back to their fighting. Knock it off! This is not worthy of your efforts! Nose smelled like a Minhas product and I do not mean that in a good way. Plastics, pink bubble gum, dry cleaning fluid were all perceived. Could it get any worse? Yes! The taste was burnt rubber and a metallic tang that made me wonder from what kind of glass the bottle was made. Whew! Finish was bone-dry and I was afraid to breathe near any open flames. Phew! I will NOT be allowing this to warm up. It might self-combust. M'man, Snoop Lion says that his jawnt "Works Every Time" and I would be willing to bet that this gem will work equally well. The best example of a really poor style. Do I now taste eau de cigarette ashtray? I knew I did not want this warming!

07-10-2013 03:25:13 | More by woodychandler
atr2605

2.3/5  rDev -6.1%

pours a yellow transparent color with a white head with average retention. sweet corn skunky aroma. More of the same in the taste. Pretty light body considering the abv. Fairly straight forward malt little with a bit of a funk to it. Not looking to drink this again

12-06-2012 03:00:22 | More by atr2605

Ontario (Canada)

05-14-2012 22:37:04 | More by beerhaver
jsisko01

3.18/5  rDev +29.8%

Appearance - Pours a clear dark golden color with an inch and a half thick head (probably because I poured aggressively) and it lingers for a few minutes. Leaves a frothy layer on top and has pretty nice lacing.

Smell - Citrus, grains, corn, and a little bit of funk.

Taste - A lot better than I was expecting.. Creamy with caramel, corn, grains, a little bit of spice that I can't pinpoint, and a grassy bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Love the creaminess. Medium body with mild carbonation.

Overall - This is definite a LOT better than most of the malt liquors I've tried.. So I give them props for that. Probably not something I would drink regularly though.

02-28-2012 04:41:52 | More by jsisko01
emerge077

1.73/5  rDev -29.4%

Why Pabst, why?

Pours a pale urine gold, slow rising carb trails feed into a clumpy, feeble skim on the surface. Random spotty lace, not enough to really qualify it as such though. Foam breaks, leaving a scab-like birds nest of foam floating on swill island. Transparent, dull coloration.

Smells like an old wet dishrag, minerals and soggy cereal grain.
Tastes like cream of wheat and corn starch. Odd toasty note of puffed wheat cereal.

It has a gross filmy slickness that is like glycerine, literally phlegm-like and utterly disgusting. Low carb levels makes it a chore to drink, with an astringent bite. Dumping the rest now. Nasty. A poor choice, even for a novelty 40 buy. Stay far, far away from this garbage. Calling this "crisp" or "easily drinkable" is laughable...

02-07-2012 02:27:03 | More by emerge077
TMoney2591

2.53/5  rDev +3.3%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

Been a while since I tried a new malt liquor, so why not something random I found during my last visit to Kenosha? It pours a clear pale straw topped by over a finger of off-white froth. The nose comprises light hard water, light sweet flowers, and very light grass. Almost no smell going on here... The taste holds notes of corn, sour wheat, spicy hard water (I really hope that makes sense to someone other than me...), and grass. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, not much to see here. It isn't horrid, thankfully, but it's nowhere near good.

12-26-2011 23:11:24 | More by TMoney2591
benjbrunner

12-11-2011 22:01:52 | More by benjbrunner
surlytheduff

2.98/5  rDev +21.6%

Chilled 40oz'er, drank from a swanky new Alchemist glass. Beer poured a translucent straw yellow with just under a finger of head that soon melted away into nothingness, leaving barely a hint of lace. Nose was sweet, grainy with a hint of corn and alcohol. The taste was much more pleasant than the smell. Sweet, light corn and grain, subdued alcohol, crisp finish. Mouthfeel was light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Went down smooth, no aftertaste.

10-28-2011 01:43:39 | More by surlytheduff
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev +18.4%

40 ounce behemoth, 8% ABV, more of that Silver Creek Brewery of La Crosse, WI shell company obfuscation crap. Anyways - ah, memories of bootlegging teenagers...

This beer pours a clear medium urine-yellow colour, with two fingers of tight foamy white head, which leaves some random arched lace around the glass as it quickly gets outta Dodge. It smells of corn grist, and sweet alcohol, redolent of nail polish remover. The taste is grainy, sugary creamed corn, soft, edgeless saccharine booze, and surprisingly perceptible weedy, almost skunky hops - hey, I'll take 'em. The carbonation is quite mild, the body medium weight, not as cloying as I had expected, and fairly smooth. It finishes clean, sweet, with a little heat.

For the low cost and the elevated strength, if you don't mind a bit of repetitive, albeit mild, soulless sweetness, this goes down none too shabbily. But if you just came from downing a Slurpee from the Mac's next door to the liquor store, then I can see why that wouldn't bother you in the least.

03-24-2011 23:38:40 | More by biboergosum
tko741

3.28/5  rDev +33.9%

I'll preface this by saying I'm reviewing this beer among it's style, not as a beer in general.

Pours a bright gold, lots of big bubbles, and a rice-white head that dissipates into about a half-finger covering. Smells of grain, pilsner, and light alcohol.

What can be said about the taste, it's about the same. It has a nice grainy taste to it, which is hard to find in other malt liquors that simply smash your mouth with nail polish remover and alcohol.

Like most malt liquors, it starts off tasting horrible, but it's not hard to get used to it.

01-29-2011 01:10:03 | More by tko741
crossovert

1.68/5  rDev -31.4%

40 oz bottle, was about 1.60.

It is a clear yellow gold with a fizzy bright white head.

The smell is corn syrup mixed with vodka and rootbeer.

The flavor is pretty mellow. It has a slight corn flavor, some tanginess, and metal.

It is cheap as hell, and it shows in the taste, I bought it more or less as a joke. And I only had 6 ounces of it, that was enough.

01-10-2011 01:21:23 | More by crossovert
CrazyMike

Alberta (Canada)

2.23/5  rDev -9%

Opaque orange appearance with head that disappears quickly. Smell is overwhelmingly sweet, picked up a hint of vegetables and malt.

Taste is alcoholic and sweet, has very strong hops. Very little carbonation, surprisingly this is medium bodied. Aftertaste has a sweetness that lingers.

Overall, this beer is nothing fancy, made to get you drunk for cheap. Although I prefer this over other malt liquors as it is fairly easy to drink. The label alone stands out from other 40's.

12-04-2010 04:30:58 | More by CrazyMike
Brad007

Vermont

3.53/5  rDev +44.1%

Found this in Plattsburgh, NY.

Pours a light golden color with a frothy head that fades down quick into my pint glass.

Aroma is chock full of grainy malt and a light hint of cooked corn. Not too bad.

Taste is sweet and grainy with just a hint of cooked corn. Not bad. No alcohol burn, despite the 7.5% ABV.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sweet, grainy malt. Easy-going.

Not bad at all. Cheap and easy to drink. Of course, what more do you expect? If I were in a pinch, I'd probably buy it again. The problem is, it's a ferry ride across the lake for it.

08-28-2010 03:24:28 | More by Brad007
BabyBastard

2.68/5  rDev +9.4%

Drank from the 40, appears a pale straw color. Looks like the typical malt liquor. Light in appearance.

Smells a bit of grain, not much else to be picked up in the nose. A bit of alcohol twinge may be there.

Tastes light for a big malt liquor. Alcohol is disguised well with that typical adjunct corn/rice flavor. Overall, not bad, but not good, either.

Feel is also very light and crisp, most likely due to the temperature. As this warms, the nastiness comes out, making it hard to drink. I'd say it has average drinkability when cold, decreasing rapidly as this brew warms.

05-15-2010 22:58:18 | More by BabyBastard
jaylang

2.4/5  rDev -2%

Never had it before, it was on sale. to be honest i wish i didn't spend the money.The beer left a funny taste in my mouth and and was a bit flat to begin with. As malt liquors go, this one is better then others i've had in the past. all in all....I've had better....

03-06-2010 11:37:36 | More by jaylang
berserker256

2.33/5  rDev -4.9%

I'm reviewing this beer from my memory of fourteen years ago. We all know that this is your typical cheap malt liquor that tastes shitty. That's not important here.
...It was 1994. We were on the Michigan State University Campus on a typical Saturday night party search. My buddy Anthony was old enough to buy beer so he did. He bought me a 99 cent 40 oz of Big Bear. I was only 19. Without getting into detail we had a great night that night. By the end of the night I had a huge cut on my right knee. Anthony taped a wad of napkins on my gushing bloody knee at Bell's Pizza on Grand River. It ws 4-20-94. I know that because I kept the bottle from that night and that date was scribed onto the bottle along with our signatures. My blood is still on the bottle. Anyway, I guess the purpose of this site is to review the taste of beers and not the memories behind beers. But in this case the memory is way better than the taste. The taste sucks. The beer sucks. What we did that night was great.

01-12-2008 04:35:52 | More by berserker256