Colt 45 Double Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Double Malt LiquorColt 45 Double Malt Liquor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2002)
Reviews by MarkSmith86:
3.55/5  rDev +33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From what i take out of colt 45 double malt, it pours a nice soapy head in my mug. good 2 finger head that goes down pretty quick.. The smell is kinda appealing, like a adjunct lager smell or hell a regular colt 45. the taste/mouthfeel is bold, easy drinking and very carbonated... I think it has a rich full body feel and very easy drinkable for a malt liquor.

MarkSmith86, Mar 10, 2014

DOCRW, Feb 23, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -19.5%

Light gold hue, translucent, bubbly bright white head, decent retention and good lace. Sweet yet dull nose, alcohol is detectable. Not very inviting. Very sweet tasting, maltiness seems to increases as you drink it, no hops for support, especially grainy, very harsh to swallow. Alcohol launches an immediate attack on the brain. This stuff is dangerous. Not recommend for enjoyment consumption.

I must admit; I purchased this Colt 45 product because it proclaimed “double malt!”

bditty187, Jan 06, 2003

warpig372, Jun 19, 2014

JoeD77, Aug 10, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very malty. Taste is crisp, malty but not as much as it smelled. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and goes down fairly easily. Overall as far as malt liqours go, this one ain't bad

tone77, Nov 23, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -15.7%

jeddis1, Aug 17, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

longbongsilver, Feb 02, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +3%

DeekNayvuz, Feb 16, 2013

Keep in mind I'm reviewing this as per the style. This is a damned good malt! I've had a 40 or two of it in the past, and always enjoyed it. Having seen this replace Crazy Stallion at my local bodega, I was excited to give it another solid try. I picked up three 16oz. cans and I am glad I did. Crisp, clean taste, just the sort of shit you're looking for when buying malt tall-boys after a day's labor. I'm not sure the 'double malt' gimmick means anything at all, but this stuff is definitely cleaner-tasting than regular Colt 45. If you see it, buy it.

MarkBlackout, Jun 05, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +36%

Actually, the correct name for this product is Colt 45 Double Malt Malt Liquor. Funny, huh? I bought a 24 oz. can of this in St. Louis, Missouri- it is not sold in Louisiana, unfortunately. It has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is surprisingly high. Aroma is of lightly roasted grains. The taste is moderate to strong and very rich (and maybe too sweet for many). Mouth-feel is heavy, and Colt 45 Double Malt finishes harsh and filling. This is not wimp beer, but is it good? I'd have liked to have had more of these, but my one try was enjoyable.

RJT

1.25/5  rDev -53.2%

LooseMoose1978, Feb 04, 2013

sblanton83, Sep 01, 2013
3.4/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Straight from the clear glass 40.

Nice golden color. Not a strange yellow.

Not much going on really. Slight booze and bread.

Malty but not sick ice beer sweet. Some bitterness in the finish.

Seltzer like. Sharp and snappy with a hint of syrup.

Not bad. Will drink again.

MirkoCroCough, Feb 25, 2012

kguyty, Nov 15, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +42.3%

This all seems curious to me as the below review is for a bottle and alludes to a CANQuest (TM) review, but that review does not seem to exist. No review? No problem! That is one of The CANQuest (TM)'s many mottoes.

24 ounces, that's a lot! The Crack & Glug were textbook and I had a finger-and-a-half of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention when I finished. As it fell, it began to look like meringue atop a lemon pie. Color was sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of apple cider plus a metallic twang to offset the fruitiness. Mouthfeel was kind of fizzy, more like pop than beer and the taste was very much like apples. How odd. Not bad, really, just mighty strange. Finish was very dry as tends to be the case with this style. The yeast must work overtime to get all of the fermentable sugars converted. I am going to leave my original numbers as there was not much deviation between CAN and bottle, apparently.

The below is my existing Bottle review from 12-19-2010 with scores of 4; 3.5; 4; 4 and 3.5

The Bros have only themselves to thank for any flags on this one. My CAN review is a gem, but thanks to their recent moratorium on acronyms, I have no choice.

I will NEVER forget my first overseas liberty port, that of Barcelona, Spain in early 1985. We were in The Gut, the worst area of the city, reserved for sailors and my buddies found "a gamer", what we would call a "crack whore", one willing to do anything for money. For those who may know what "Double Penetration" refers to, I would have typed "DP" except for the moratorium. We accomplished more than a "Double", but the details may need to wait. Call this a "DM", oops, Double Malt. Like we're at friggin' Pops' Choklit Shoppe in "Archie". Man, I was playing "Barguments" yesterday and I'da done Betty in one of those scenarios. A double-up with Veronica? Hell, yeah!

Okay I'll buy a day of swill beforehand, but I like this beer! I got a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was liquid sunshine in a glass. Nose was full of adjuncts, but as the Grateful Dead sang (sort of), "Scent's all empty, but I don't care." Am I allowed to cop to my first sexual experience with a DeadHead cougar in 1983? I still dig the unshaven, Euro-style cuties. Finish was smoooth. Yum. Of all of the b**ls**t (no acronyms) this afternoon, this was decent.

woodychandler, Apr 14, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +3%

Didn't pour it, just sipped on it. It is a very sterilized-looking yellow color, and smells of alcohol and cheerios. Doubling the malt makes this a rather thick brew, for good or worse. It is a great bargain for ~$2, for not that bad of an experience.

TastyTaste, Oct 23, 2003

rydev24, Mar 02, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -4.5%

Serving type: 40 oz bottle

Colt 45 was one of the drinks we'd buy at corner stores as underagers, so I had to try this spin on the original. It also came with an attractive $2.75 price tag, which reall sealed the deal.

It's very similar to the original Colt 45, but the 'double malt' does make it taste much maltier. It's color is darker than straw yellow and has a 'bleached-white' head. The alcohol creeps up on you but won't give you the spins. Not a bad beer if you're completely broke and are looking to get hammered.

mecell2000, Jul 01, 2008