Follow our progress ...

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2002

Reviews: 22 | Ratings: 66
Reviews by erz316:
2.7/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

colt 45 was not as bad as I thought it would be. the brew poured a decent colour for a lager, and the smell was neutral enough when it was cold. the taste was comparable to a shitty craft brew or a regular lame pils. really not bad compared to shit like icehouse or olde english.

3.09/5  rDev +4%

...I went to high school in a small town of about 600 people. Our school was practically the best at every sport except for volleyball. Football was one of those sports and I was generally second string, playing a lineman to crush the competition and protect the QB. After we destroyed the teams on our home field, we would celebrate by going to "somebody's" house (whoever had a house whose parents were gone), get sloshed, create beer pyramids, and make out in closets with all the cheerleaders. Often times the girls would drink Sublime (remember that? Do they even make that anymore?) and the guys would drink the cheapest, nastiest swill we could get our hands on. Oftentimes I'd work the concessions for girls' volleyball games (yeah, who cared anyways?) and earn about $25 a week, and sell band bootleg stuff on eBay (back when it was practically new and I could get away with it as a minor, among other things ;-) ). So we'd usually have a guy do a beer run and pick us up whatever we could afford. The night I'll never forget is the night I had $10 to blow and I said, "Gumps, get me whatever this will buy and will get me messed up." So he came back with two Hurricanes and two Colt 45's - both 40 oz A-bombs. My friend Bemis and I split them between each other. I hated the Hurricane so I drank the Colt 45. I puked green, got grounded, and woke up half naked in my own bed not knowing how I got there. Now tonight, I am going to revisit that memory with beer advocacy in mind...

Appearance (3.75) : For a buck twenty five, this beer has a pretty decent fluffy head. It's about three fingers and leaves some great lacing on the glass as it recedes and has a pillowy top. It's one of the better heads I've seen in a cheap lager. The body is a pale straw color, and about as clear as water, no surprise there.

Aroma (3.75) : WHAT??? This smells decent! It's actually got hop aroma amidst the barley malt and light corn notes. Yes, I can smell the hop. Very much like a more top tier lager. That's great news! Slightly twiggy or leafy as well.

Taste (3) : BUT.... Funky is the word. It's got this sticky, old stale lucky charms feel to it and tastes like sugared corn water. It's got some faint barley notes, but it's mostly cereal and corn. Actually, sweat socks come to mind. Yep. A little bit of that, too. At the end you can taste burnt alcohol.

The can seems to bypass all of that character though...which, yeah, most people ain't gonna pour this thing, so when you're drinking it out of the can it's an incredibly average barley malt, cereal, and water flavor.

Mouthfeel (2.75) : As I said, it's a bit sticky on the palate, and it's watery. I'd say creamy, but I don't think that's the word. It's very lightly carbonated in the glass, but yeah, it ain't creamy. Too light bodied for that.

Overall (3.09) : Hey, it ain't gross. I think a person can do better than this (like High Life or Natural Ice) but they can do a lot worse. Out of the can it's average, out of the glass it's a little more classy but more of the funk comes out, so then you decide to drink it from the can again.

Thanks Colt 45 for taking me back down memory lane (sort of). You aren't half bad, but you got a long way to go, son...

3.78/5  rDev +27.3%

This all seems curious to me as the below review is for a bottle and alludes to a CANQuest (TM) review, but that review does not seem to exist. No review? No problem! That is one of The CANQuest (TM)'s many mottoes.

24 ounces, that's a lot! The Crack & Glug were textbook and I had a finger-and-a-half of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention when I finished. As it fell, it began to look like meringue atop a lemon pie. Color was sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of apple cider plus a metallic twang to offset the fruitiness. Mouthfeel was kind of fizzy, more like pop than beer and the taste was very much like apples. How odd. Not bad, really, just mighty strange. Finish was very dry as tends to be the case with this style. The yeast must work overtime to get all of the fermentable sugars converted. I am going to leave my original numbers as there was not much deviation between CAN and bottle, apparently.

The below is my existing Bottle review from 12-19-2010 with scores of 4; 3.5; 4; 4 and 3.5

The Bros have only themselves to thank for any flags on this one. My CAN review is a gem, but thanks to their recent moratorium on acronyms, I have no choice.

I will NEVER forget my first overseas liberty port, that of Barcelona, Spain in early 1985. We were in The Gut, the worst area of the city, reserved for sailors and my buddies found "a gamer", what we would call a "crack whore", one willing to do anything for money. For those who may know what "Double Penetration" refers to, I would have typed "DP" except for the moratorium. We accomplished more than a "Double", but the details may need to wait. Call this a "DM", oops, Double Malt. Like we're at friggin' Pops' Choklit Shoppe in "Archie". Man, I was playing "Barguments" yesterday and I'da done Betty in one of those scenarios. A double-up with Veronica? Hell, yeah!

Okay I'll buy a day of swill beforehand, but I like this beer! I got a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was liquid sunshine in a glass. Nose was full of adjuncts, but as the Grateful Dead sang (sort of), "Scent's all empty, but I don't care." Am I allowed to cop to my first sexual experience with a DeadHead cougar in 1983? I still dig the unshaven, Euro-style cuties. Finish was smoooth. Yum. Of all of the b**ls**t (no acronyms) this afternoon, this was decent.

1.35/5  rDev -54.5%

Recommend to anyone, most value for the bucks. Great at parties saves a boatload. Get a free rap CD and baseball hat with purchase three forties at local deli

2.18/5  rDev -26.6%

Light gold hue, translucent, bubbly bright white head, decent retention and good lace. Sweet yet dull nose, alcohol is detectable. Not very inviting. Very sweet tasting, maltiness seems to increases as you drink it, no hops for support, especially grainy, very harsh to swallow. Alcohol launches an immediate attack on the brain. This stuff is dangerous. Not recommend for enjoyment consumption.

I must admit; I purchased this Colt 45 product because it proclaimed “double malt!”

3.27/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very malty. Taste is crisp, malty but not as much as it smelled. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and goes down fairly easily. Overall as far as malt liqours go, this one ain't bad

2.73/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

From the 40! Poured into a glass. Sampled on May 1, 2015. This will be review based on expectations of the style not on the fact that it is a mass-produced malt liquor. There is absolutely no reason to review this as a craft beer.

Straw yellow, highly carbonated pour with tremendous puffy white head. Looks like it should.

Aroma of boiled pale malts, corn, grass, but low booze factor. But I cannot distinguish anything that separates this out from the regular Colt 45.

Actually the body is around medium.

The taste is full of corn, rice, adjuncts, and pale malts. Clean, crisp mildly sweet finish. For the style it is done right.

2.25/5  rDev -24.2%

3.5/5  rDev +17.8%

2.75/5  rDev -7.4%

3.99/5  rDev +34.3%

Keep in mind I'm reviewing this as per the style. This is a damned good malt! I've had a 40 or two of it in the past, and always enjoyed it. Having seen this replace Crazy Stallion at my local bodega, I was excited to give it another solid try. I picked up three 16oz. cans and I am glad I did. Crisp, clean taste, just the sort of shit you're looking for when buying malt tall-boys after a day's labor. I'm not sure the 'double malt' gimmick means anything at all, but this stuff is definitely cleaner-tasting than regular Colt 45. If you see it, buy it.

3.6/5  rDev +21.2%

Actually, the correct name for this product is Colt 45 Double Malt Malt Liquor. Funny, huh? I bought a 24 oz. can of this in St. Louis, Missouri- it is not sold in Louisiana, unfortunately. It has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is surprisingly high. Aroma is of lightly roasted grains. The taste is moderate to strong and very rich (and maybe too sweet for many). Mouth-feel is heavy, and Colt 45 Double Malt finishes harsh and filling. This is not wimp beer, but is it good? I'd have liked to have had more of these, but my one try was enjoyable.

RJT

3.55/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Finally found the elusive Colt 45 double malt. Found it at Weis supermarket in Lansdale, PA. Bottle is dated 1/18/16 so I hope it's a bottle date

L- typical crystal clear golden comple. Thick white head. A standard looking malt liquor

S- cooked corn and rice, a bit of grain and alcohol. again, pretty typical stuff.

T- similar to the nose. lots of corn flavor. a bit of rice. Lots of adjunct and malt flavor throughout. Slightly dry finish. It's basically a sweeter version of colt 45.

F- full mouthfeel, slightly dry finish. good for the style

O- a good malt liquor but not much better than regular colt 45. To be honest I think I prefer the original formula. Recommended

1.75/5  rDev -41.1%

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%

1.25/5  rDev -57.9%

3.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Straight from the clear glass 40.

Nice golden color. Not a strange yellow.

Not much going on really. Slight booze and bread.

Malty but not sick ice beer sweet. Some bitterness in the finish.

Seltzer like. Sharp and snappy with a hint of syrup.

Not bad. Will drink again.

Colt 45 Double Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company