Colt 45 Double Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Double Malt LiquorColt 45 Double Malt Liquor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2002)
Reviews by fastrodney:
fastrodney

3.34/5  rDev +24.6%

Sample from a glass 40oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A: Medium to dark straw. Thick white foamy head billowed from the bottom of the glass and stuck around.

S: Grain, but to include some of the less-respected ones as well... hops around somewhere in the back, maybe?

T: Bread. The clear winner for aftertaste is bread.

M: Medium body with low carbonation - must be a mistake there - a bad pour or sample possible.

O: I have long considered the standard Colt 45 to be one of the best commercially available malt liquors out there, but this variation is interesting - less sweet and carbonated than its brother, but as I think the name is trying to suggest, possesses some actual malted barley flavor. Carbonation was disappointing in my poured sample, but afterwards I took a drink directly from the bottle and that luscious high carbonation was there. A good option for the style.

01-25-2013 23:37:09 | More by fastrodney
DOCRW

Washington

02-23-2014 20:27:24 | More by DOCRW
bditty187

Nebraska

2.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Light gold hue, translucent, bubbly bright white head, decent retention and good lace. Sweet yet dull nose, alcohol is detectable. Not very inviting. Very sweet tasting, maltiness seems to increases as you drink it, no hops for support, especially grainy, very harsh to swallow. Alcohol launches an immediate attack on the brain. This stuff is dangerous. Not recommend for enjoyment consumption.

I must admit; I purchased this Colt 45 product because it proclaimed “double malt!”

01-06-2003 10:42:13 | More by bditty187
warpig372

Indiana

06-19-2014 03:54:22 | More by warpig372
JoeD77

08-10-2014 21:27:42 | More by JoeD77
tone77

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very malty. Taste is crisp, malty but not as much as it smelled. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and goes down fairly easily. Overall as far as malt liqours go, this one ain't bad

11-23-2009 23:19:12 | More by tone77

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

02-16-2013 23:40:55 | More by DeekNayvuz
MarkBlackout

Indiana

Keep in mind I'm reviewing this as per the style. This is a damned good malt! I've had a 40 or two of it in the past, and always enjoyed it. Having seen this replace Crazy Stallion at my local bodega, I was excited to give it another solid try. I picked up three 16oz. cans and I am glad I did. Crisp, clean taste, just the sort of shit you're looking for when buying malt tall-boys after a day's labor. I'm not sure the 'double malt' gimmick means anything at all, but this stuff is definitely cleaner-tasting than regular Colt 45. If you see it, buy it.

06-05-2006 03:30:54 | More by MarkBlackout
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev +35.4%

Actually, the correct name for this product is Colt 45 Double Malt Malt Liquor. Funny, huh? I bought a 24 oz. can of this in St. Louis, Missouri- it is not sold in Louisiana, unfortunately. It has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is surprisingly high. Aroma is of lightly roasted grains. The taste is moderate to strong and very rich (and maybe too sweet for many). Mouth-feel is heavy, and Colt 45 Double Malt finishes harsh and filling. This is not wimp beer, but is it good? I'd have liked to have had more of these, but my one try was enjoyable.

RJT

09-01-2013 03:17:51 | More by sblanton83
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.4/5  rDev +26.9%

Straight from the clear glass 40.

Nice golden color. Not a strange yellow.

Not much going on really. Slight booze and bread.

Malty but not sick ice beer sweet. Some bitterness in the finish.

Seltzer like. Sharp and snappy with a hint of syrup.

Not bad. Will drink again.

02-25-2012 02:03:52 | More by MirkoCroCough
kguyty

Missouri

11-15-2013 20:53:18 | More by kguyty
woodychandler

3.8/5  rDev +41.8%

This all seems curious to me as the below review is for a bottle and alludes to a CANQuest (TM) review, but that review does not seem to exist. No review? No problem! That is one of The CANQuest (TM)'s many mottoes.

24 ounces, that's a lot! The Crack & Glug were textbook and I had a finger-and-a-half of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention when I finished. As it fell, it began to look like meringue atop a lemon pie. Color was sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of apple cider plus a metallic twang to offset the fruitiness. Mouthfeel was kind of fizzy, more like pop than beer and the taste was very much like apples. How odd. Not bad, really, just mighty strange. Finish was very dry as tends to be the case with this style. The yeast must work overtime to get all of the fermentable sugars converted. I am going to leave my original numbers as there was not much deviation between CAN and bottle, apparently.

The below is my existing Bottle review from 12-19-2010 with scores of 4; 3.5; 4; 4 and 3.5

The Bros have only themselves to thank for any flags on this one. My CAN review is a gem, but thanks to their recent moratorium on acronyms, I have no choice.

I will NEVER forget my first overseas liberty port, that of Barcelona, Spain in early 1985. We were in The Gut, the worst area of the city, reserved for sailors and my buddies found "a gamer", what we would call a "crack whore", one willing to do anything for money. For those who may know what "Double Penetration" refers to, I would have typed "DP" except for the moratorium. We accomplished more than a "Double", but the details may need to wait. Call this a "DM", oops, Double Malt. Like we're at friggin' Pops' Choklit Shoppe in "Archie". Man, I was playing "Barguments" yesterday and I'da done Betty in one of those scenarios. A double-up with Veronica? Hell, yeah!

Okay I'll buy a day of swill beforehand, but I like this beer! I got a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was liquid sunshine in a glass. Nose was full of adjuncts, but as the Grateful Dead sang (sort of), "Scent's all empty, but I don't care." Am I allowed to cop to my first sexual experience with a DeadHead cougar in 1983? I still dig the unshaven, Euro-style cuties. Finish was smoooth. Yum. Of all of the b**ls**t (no acronyms) this afternoon, this was decent.

04-14-2013 17:58:23 | More by woodychandler
TastyTaste

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Didn't pour it, just sipped on it. It is a very sterilized-looking yellow color, and smells of alcohol and cheerios. Doubling the malt makes this a rather thick brew, for good or worse. It is a great bargain for ~$2, for not that bad of an experience.

10-23-2003 16:10:14 | More by TastyTaste
rydev24

03-02-2012 01:56:29 | More by rydev24
mecell2000

Hungary

2.55/5  rDev -4.9%

Serving type: 40 oz bottle

Colt 45 was one of the drinks we'd buy at corner stores as underagers, so I had to try this spin on the original. It also came with an attractive $2.75 price tag, which reall sealed the deal.

It's very similar to the original Colt 45, but the 'double malt' does make it taste much maltier. It's color is darker than straw yellow and has a 'bleached-white' head. The alcohol creeps up on you but won't give you the spins. Not a bad beer if you're completely broke and are looking to get hammered.

07-01-2008 21:21:09 | More by mecell2000
dsnyder61

06-04-2013 22:53:41 | More by dsnyder61
MarkSmith86

Wisconsin

3.55/5  rDev +32.5%

From what i take out of colt 45 double malt, it pours a nice soapy head in my mug. good 2 finger head that goes down pretty quick.. The smell is kinda appealing, like a adjunct lager smell or hell a regular colt 45. the taste/mouthfeel is bold, easy drinking and very carbonated... I think it has a rich full body feel and very easy drinkable for a malt liquor.

03-10-2014 05:53:32 | More by MarkSmith86