1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Colt 45 Double Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Double Malt LiquorColt 45 Double Malt Liquor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2002)
View: Beers (57) |  Events

03-30-2014 18:36:25 | More by ZOSO2192
MarkSmith86

Wisconsin

3.55/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From what i take out of colt 45 double malt, it pours a nice soapy head in my mug. good 2 finger head that goes down pretty quick.. The smell is kinda appealing, like a adjunct lager smell or hell a regular colt 45. the taste/mouthfeel is bold, easy drinking and very carbonated... I think it has a rich full body feel and very easy drinkable for a malt liquor.

03-10-2014 05:53:32 | More by MarkSmith86
ChiChi

Maryland

2.14/5  rDev -21%

Im not going to be one of "those guys" that try to get a laugh out of reviewing a malt liquor. I like malt liquors. This one was very disappointing. I actually find it WORSE than the regular Colt 45.

I dunno, I always say having these 40's in a clear bottle is ruining many aspects and worsening an already bad reputation Malt Liquor gets. Especially since I buy the 4O's at a decently stocked liquor store that allows the "poor sections" florescent lights to easily eat away at the characteristics.

The beer smells like pee. Honestly. With a hint of staleness and saltiness. But tasting it is ok. Its a bland mouthfeel with bland carbonation that could honestly be heaver. I expected a sweeter taste than reg. Colt 45 due to it's double name. I expected a sweet malt corn flavor, instead just got the usual corn with a heavy alcohol taste.

02-23-2014 20:34:09 | More by ChiChi

dsnyder61

06-04-2013 22:53:41 | More by dsnyder61
woodychandler

3.8/5  rDev +40.2%

This all seems curious to me as the below review is for a bottle and alludes to a CANQuest (TM) review, but that review does not seem to exist. No review? No problem! That is one of The CANQuest (TM)'s many mottoes.

24 ounces, that's a lot! The Crack & Glug were textbook and I had a finger-and-a-half of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention when I finished. As it fell, it began to look like meringue atop a lemon pie. Color was sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of apple cider plus a metallic twang to offset the fruitiness. Mouthfeel was kind of fizzy, more like pop than beer and the taste was very much like apples. How odd. Not bad, really, just mighty strange. Finish was very dry as tends to be the case with this style. The yeast must work overtime to get all of the fermentable sugars converted. I am going to leave my original numbers as there was not much deviation between CAN and bottle, apparently.

The below is my existing Bottle review from 12-19-2010 with scores of 4; 3.5; 4; 4 and 3.5

The Bros have only themselves to thank for any flags on this one. My CAN review is a gem, but thanks to their recent moratorium on acronyms, I have no choice.

I will NEVER forget my first overseas liberty port, that of Barcelona, Spain in early 1985. We were in The Gut, the worst area of the city, reserved for sailors and my buddies found "a gamer", what we would call a "crack whore", one willing to do anything for money. For those who may know what "Double Penetration" refers to, I would have typed "DP" except for the moratorium. We accomplished more than a "Double", but the details may need to wait. Call this a "DM", oops, Double Malt. Like we're at friggin' Pops' Choklit Shoppe in "Archie". Man, I was playing "Barguments" yesterday and I'da done Betty in one of those scenarios. A double-up with Veronica? Hell, yeah!

Okay I'll buy a day of swill beforehand, but I like this beer! I got a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was liquid sunshine in a glass. Nose was full of adjuncts, but as the Grateful Dead sang (sort of), "Scent's all empty, but I don't care." Am I allowed to cop to my first sexual experience with a DeadHead cougar in 1983? I still dig the unshaven, Euro-style cuties. Finish was smoooth. Yum. Of all of the b**ls**t (no acronyms) this afternoon, this was decent.

Serving type: can

3.5/5  rDev +29.2%

02-02-2013 23:13:48 | More by longbongsilver
fastrodney

3.34/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Sample from a glass 40oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A: Medium to dark straw. Thick white foamy head billowed from the bottom of the glass and stuck around.

S: Grain, but to include some of the less-respected ones as well... hops around somewhere in the back, maybe?

T: Bread. The clear winner for aftertaste is bread.

M: Medium body with low carbonation - must be a mistake there - a bad pour or sample possible.

O: I have long considered the standard Colt 45 to be one of the best commercially available malt liquors out there, but this variation is interesting - less sweet and carbonated than its brother, but as I think the name is trying to suggest, possesses some actual malted barley flavor. Carbonation was disappointing in my poured sample, but afterwards I took a drink directly from the bottle and that luscious high carbonation was there. A good option for the style.

01-25-2013 23:37:09 | More by fastrodney
spycow

2.25/5  rDev -17%

01-17-2013 06:32:16 | More by spycow
Darkmagus82

3.06/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I had to pour about 10 oz from the 40 into a pint glass to at least give the brew its fair shot. After that first 10 oz however it was all straight from the big, clear, glass bottle- just as it should be.

Appearance – The beer pours the same color as seen through the clear bottle- a medium golden amber color. Upon pouring there is a nice big white head. The head has a nice level of retention fading over ~ 3 min to leave a decent level of lacing.

Smell –The aroma was most potent of a bready and corn smell. Mixed with these are some aromas of musty paper and a light metallic smell.

Taste – The taste, when cold, is quite clean actually. It begins very watery with a decent corn sweetness and light bready flavor. A light caramel flavor comes to the tongue in the middle of the taste and is accompanied by a light paper taste. Besides the sweeter corn and mild bready flavors all the other flavors are quite light throughout the taste and in the end leave moderately crisp taste on the tongue. Now when it warms up more however it is not as crisp. Some more papery and metal tastes come to the tongue in the middle and the end of the taste with a somewhat chalky and dry taste to be left on the tongue when everything is said and done.

Mouthfeel – The body of the brew is quite light in its creaminess and thickness with a carbonation level that is average to above average. The higher carbonation and thinner body are quite appropriate for the style making it a quick drinker.

Overall – Well… it looked fairly decent and when it is cold, it drinks rather easy and crisp. Once it warms up some however it is not quite as easy drinking. Even so when warmer it is still a step above other malts as it doesn't leave a real offensive taste on the tongue.

01-09-2013 01:23:33 | More by Darkmagus82