Colt 45 Double Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Double Malt LiquorColt 45 Double Malt Liquor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2002)
dubmax

Kansas

05-28-2012 23:32:13 | More by dubmax
7beerphil

Maryland

let me start by saying this just might be my favorite 40oz. I mean it doesn't get much smoother than this for a 5.6% brew

I've never poured this out of the bottle, only consumed it straight from the 40. It has a nice Malt Liquor yellow/piss color through the clear 40 bottle. Exactly what you'd expect from this genre.

This baby smells of corn and adjuncts, just like a cheap ML should!

Taste is way above par for a ML. Gets a little thick as it warms up, but hey, who can't finish a 40 in 10 to 15 mins???

Overall, including the slight buzz it gives, I present Double Malt with a 9.5/10 for being amazing and providing a bench-mark for cheap MLs. It will get you feeling good!!

12-16-2011 02:09:08 | More by 7beerphil
MarkBlackout

Indiana

Keep in mind I'm reviewing this as per the style. This is a damned good malt! I've had a 40 or two of it in the past, and always enjoyed it. Having seen this replace Crazy Stallion at my local bodega, I was excited to give it another solid try. I picked up three 16oz. cans and I am glad I did. Crisp, clean taste, just the sort of shit you're looking for when buying malt tall-boys after a day's labor. I'm not sure the 'double malt' gimmick means anything at all, but this stuff is definitely cleaner-tasting than regular Colt 45. If you see it, buy it.

06-05-2006 03:30:54 | More by MarkBlackout

Wisconsin

12-03-2011 06:02:23 | More by gio540
woodychandler

3.8/5  rDev +41.8%

This all seems curious to me as the below review is for a bottle and alludes to a CANQuest (TM) review, but that review does not seem to exist. No review? No problem! That is one of The CANQuest (TM)'s many mottoes.

24 ounces, that's a lot! The Crack & Glug were textbook and I had a finger-and-a-half of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention when I finished. As it fell, it began to look like meringue atop a lemon pie. Color was sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of apple cider plus a metallic twang to offset the fruitiness. Mouthfeel was kind of fizzy, more like pop than beer and the taste was very much like apples. How odd. Not bad, really, just mighty strange. Finish was very dry as tends to be the case with this style. The yeast must work overtime to get all of the fermentable sugars converted. I am going to leave my original numbers as there was not much deviation between CAN and bottle, apparently.

The below is my existing Bottle review from 12-19-2010 with scores of 4; 3.5; 4; 4 and 3.5

The Bros have only themselves to thank for any flags on this one. My CAN review is a gem, but thanks to their recent moratorium on acronyms, I have no choice.

I will NEVER forget my first overseas liberty port, that of Barcelona, Spain in early 1985. We were in The Gut, the worst area of the city, reserved for sailors and my buddies found "a gamer", what we would call a "crack whore", one willing to do anything for money. For those who may know what "Double Penetration" refers to, I would have typed "DP" except for the moratorium. We accomplished more than a "Double", but the details may need to wait. Call this a "DM", oops, Double Malt. Like we're at friggin' Pops' Choklit Shoppe in "Archie". Man, I was playing "Barguments" yesterday and I'da done Betty in one of those scenarios. A double-up with Veronica? Hell, yeah!

Okay I'll buy a day of swill beforehand, but I like this beer! I got a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was liquid sunshine in a glass. Nose was full of adjuncts, but as the Grateful Dead sang (sort of), "Scent's all empty, but I don't care." Am I allowed to cop to my first sexual experience with a DeadHead cougar in 1983? I still dig the unshaven, Euro-style cuties. Finish was smoooth. Yum. Of all of the b**ls**t (no acronyms) this afternoon, this was decent.

04-14-2013 17:58:23 | More by woodychandler
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev +35.4%

Actually, the correct name for this product is Colt 45 Double Malt Malt Liquor. Funny, huh? I bought a 24 oz. can of this in St. Louis, Missouri- it is not sold in Louisiana, unfortunately. It has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is surprisingly high. Aroma is of lightly roasted grains. The taste is moderate to strong and very rich (and maybe too sweet for many). Mouth-feel is heavy, and Colt 45 Double Malt finishes harsh and filling. This is not wimp beer, but is it good? I'd have liked to have had more of these, but my one try was enjoyable.

RJT

07-04-2010 23:06:16 | More by RonaldTheriot
MarkSmith86

Wisconsin

3.55/5  rDev +32.5%

From what i take out of colt 45 double malt, it pours a nice soapy head in my mug. good 2 finger head that goes down pretty quick.. The smell is kinda appealing, like a adjunct lager smell or hell a regular colt 45. the taste/mouthfeel is bold, easy drinking and very carbonated... I think it has a rich full body feel and very easy drinkable for a malt liquor.

03-10-2014 05:53:32 | More by MarkSmith86

04-29-2012 22:59:30 | More by JeffTheJuice
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.4/5  rDev +26.9%

Straight from the clear glass 40.

Nice golden color. Not a strange yellow.

Not much going on really. Slight booze and bread.

Malty but not sick ice beer sweet. Some bitterness in the finish.

Seltzer like. Sharp and snappy with a hint of syrup.

Not bad. Will drink again.

02-25-2012 02:03:52 | More by MirkoCroCough
fastrodney

3.34/5  rDev +24.6%

Sample from a glass 40oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A: Medium to dark straw. Thick white foamy head billowed from the bottom of the glass and stuck around.

S: Grain, but to include some of the less-respected ones as well... hops around somewhere in the back, maybe?

T: Bread. The clear winner for aftertaste is bread.

M: Medium body with low carbonation - must be a mistake there - a bad pour or sample possible.

O: I have long considered the standard Colt 45 to be one of the best commercially available malt liquors out there, but this variation is interesting - less sweet and carbonated than its brother, but as I think the name is trying to suggest, possesses some actual malted barley flavor. Carbonation was disappointing in my poured sample, but afterwards I took a drink directly from the bottle and that luscious high carbonation was there. A good option for the style.

01-25-2013 23:37:09 | More by fastrodney
tone77

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very malty. Taste is crisp, malty but not as much as it smelled. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and goes down fairly easily. Overall as far as malt liqours go, this one ain't bad

11-23-2009 23:19:12 | More by tone77
Darkmagus82

3.06/5  rDev +14.2%

I had to pour about 10 oz from the 40 into a pint glass to at least give the brew its fair shot. After that first 10 oz however it was all straight from the big, clear, glass bottle- just as it should be.

Appearance – The beer pours the same color as seen through the clear bottle- a medium golden amber color. Upon pouring there is a nice big white head. The head has a nice level of retention fading over ~ 3 min to leave a decent level of lacing.

Smell –The aroma was most potent of a bready and corn smell. Mixed with these are some aromas of musty paper and a light metallic smell.

Taste – The taste, when cold, is quite clean actually. It begins very watery with a decent corn sweetness and light bready flavor. A light caramel flavor comes to the tongue in the middle of the taste and is accompanied by a light paper taste. Besides the sweeter corn and mild bready flavors all the other flavors are quite light throughout the taste and in the end leave moderately crisp taste on the tongue. Now when it warms up more however it is not as crisp. Some more papery and metal tastes come to the tongue in the middle and the end of the taste with a somewhat chalky and dry taste to be left on the tongue when everything is said and done.

Mouthfeel – The body of the brew is quite light in its creaminess and thickness with a carbonation level that is average to above average. The higher carbonation and thinner body are quite appropriate for the style making it a quick drinker.

Overall – Well… it looked fairly decent and when it is cold, it drinks rather easy and crisp. Once it warms up some however it is not quite as easy drinking. Even so when warmer it is still a step above other malts as it doesn't leave a real offensive taste on the tongue.

01-09-2013 01:23:33 | More by Darkmagus82

hinemk76

05-01-2012 18:49:30 | More by hinemk76
BeerBob

Nebraska

Colt 45 Double Malt pours an amberish light yellow from a clear 40oz glass bottle without even the slightest hint of skunk.

Nose of fuel, not rocket, but rather of a light kerosine, that disappears about halfway through the 40oz bottle... Other things start to go at this point also, like the ability to speak or to walk in a straight line...

Palate of sweet malt, not much hops and goes down faster than you can think, as if anyone could think much of anything after one 40oz bottle of this stuff.

07-31-2002 18:03:43 | More by BeerBob
worldecay

11-26-2012 05:21:57 | More by worldecay
Crumpetsnbeer

Maine

2.76/5  rDev +3%

I picked up this fine malt liquor at my local 7-11. I was short on cash and it was cheap.

Appearance: It had a color that reminded me of any other 40oz I've drank. A kind of golden yellow.

Smell: The aromas definitely brought me back to being 16 and getting whatever beer the homeless man bought us.

Taste: Like the aromas it made me feel slightly nostalgic, tasted like crap but went down really fast.

Mouthfeel: Smooth like bubbly water.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer if you like to drink as much as you can as cheap as you can.

Serving type: 40oz bottle

Well its better than natty daddy, and it only got better once I added some oj.

06-24-2014 01:35:10 | More by Crumpetsnbeer
DeekNayvuz

Montana

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

02-16-2013 23:40:55 | More by DeekNayvuz
TastyTaste

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Didn't pour it, just sipped on it. It is a very sterilized-looking yellow color, and smells of alcohol and cheerios. Doubling the malt makes this a rather thick brew, for good or worse. It is a great bargain for ~$2, for not that bad of an experience.

10-23-2003 16:10:14 | More by TastyTaste