Colt 45 Double Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Double Malt LiquorColt 45 Double Malt Liquor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2002)
3.5/5  rDev +30.1%

3.09/5  rDev +14.9%

...I went to high school in a small town of about 600 people. Our school was practically the best at every sport except for volleyball. Football was one of those sports and I was generally second string, playing a lineman to crush the competition and protect the QB. After we destroyed the teams on our home field, we would celebrate by going to "somebody's" house (whoever had a house whose parents were gone), get sloshed, create beer pyramids, and make out in closets with all the cheerleaders. Often times the girls would drink Sublime (remember that? Do they even make that anymore?) and the guys would drink the cheapest, nastiest swill we could get our hands on. Oftentimes I'd work the concessions for girls' volleyball games (yeah, who cared anyways?) and earn about $25 a week, and sell band bootleg stuff on eBay (back when it was practically new and I could get away with it as a minor, among other things ;-) ). So we'd usually have a guy do a beer run and pick us up whatever we could afford. The night I'll never forget is the night I had $10 to blow and I said, "Gumps, get me whatever this will buy and will get me messed up." So he came back with two Hurricanes and two Colt 45's - both 40 oz A-bombs. My friend Bemis and I split them between each other. I hated the Hurricane so I drank the Colt 45. I puked green, got grounded, and woke up half naked in my own bed not knowing how I got there. Now tonight, I am going to revisit that memory with beer advocacy in mind...

Appearance (3.75) : For a buck twenty five, this beer has a pretty decent fluffy head. It's about three fingers and leaves some great lacing on the glass as it recedes and has a pillowy top. It's one of the better heads I've seen in a cheap lager. The body is a pale straw color, and about as clear as water, no surprise there.

Aroma (3.75) : WHAT??? This smells decent! It's actually got hop aroma amidst the barley malt and light corn notes. Yes, I can smell the hop. Very much like a more top tier lager. That's great news! Slightly twiggy or leafy as well.

Taste (3) : BUT.... Funky is the word. It's got this sticky, old stale lucky charms feel to it and tastes like sugared corn water. It's got some faint barley notes, but it's mostly cereal and corn. Actually, sweat socks come to mind. Yep. A little bit of that, too. At the end you can taste burnt alcohol.

The can seems to bypass all of that character though...which, yeah, most people ain't gonna pour this thing, so when you're drinking it out of the can it's an incredibly average barley malt, cereal, and water flavor.

Mouthfeel (2.75) : As I said, it's a bit sticky on the palate, and it's watery. I'd say creamy, but I don't think that's the word. It's very lightly carbonated in the glass, but yeah, it ain't creamy. Too light bodied for that.

Overall (3.09) : Hey, it ain't gross. I think a person can do better than this (like High Life or Natural Ice) but they can do a lot worse. Out of the can it's average, out of the glass it's a little more classy but more of the funk comes out, so then you decide to drink it from the can again.

Thanks Colt 45 for taking me back down memory lane (sort of). You aren't half bad, but you got a long way to go, son...

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

1.75/5  rDev -34.9%

2.76/5  rDev +2.6%

I picked up this fine malt liquor at my local 7-11. I was short on cash and it was cheap.

Appearance: It had a color that reminded me of any other 40oz I've drank. A kind of golden yellow.

Smell: The aromas definitely brought me back to being 16 and getting whatever beer the homeless man bought us.

Taste: Like the aromas it made me feel slightly nostalgic, tasted like crap but went down really fast.

Mouthfeel: Smooth like bubbly water.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer if you like to drink as much as you can as cheap as you can.

Serving type: 40oz bottle

Well its better than natty daddy, and it only got better once I added some oj.

3.55/5  rDev +32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From what i take out of colt 45 double malt, it pours a nice soapy head in my mug. good 2 finger head that goes down pretty quick.. The smell is kinda appealing, like a adjunct lager smell or hell a regular colt 45. the taste/mouthfeel is bold, easy drinking and very carbonated... I think it has a rich full body feel and very easy drinkable for a malt liquor.

2.14/5  rDev -20.4%

Im not going to be one of "those guys" that try to get a laugh out of reviewing a malt liquor. I like malt liquors. This one was very disappointing. I actually find it WORSE than the regular Colt 45.

I dunno, I always say having these 40's in a clear bottle is ruining many aspects and worsening an already bad reputation Malt Liquor gets. Especially since I buy the 4O's at a decently stocked liquor store that allows the "poor sections" florescent lights to easily eat away at the characteristics.

The beer smells like pee. Honestly. With a hint of staleness and saltiness. But tasting it is ok. Its a bland mouthfeel with bland carbonation that could honestly be heaver. I expected a sweeter taste than reg. Colt 45 due to it's double name. I expected a sweet malt corn flavor, instead just got the usual corn with a heavy alcohol taste.

1.75/5  rDev -34.9%

3.8/5  rDev +41.3%

This all seems curious to me as the below review is for a bottle and alludes to a CANQuest (TM) review, but that review does not seem to exist. No review? No problem! That is one of The CANQuest (TM)'s many mottoes.

24 ounces, that's a lot! The Crack & Glug were textbook and I had a finger-and-a-half of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention when I finished. As it fell, it began to look like meringue atop a lemon pie. Color was sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of apple cider plus a metallic twang to offset the fruitiness. Mouthfeel was kind of fizzy, more like pop than beer and the taste was very much like apples. How odd. Not bad, really, just mighty strange. Finish was very dry as tends to be the case with this style. The yeast must work overtime to get all of the fermentable sugars converted. I am going to leave my original numbers as there was not much deviation between CAN and bottle, apparently.

The below is my existing Bottle review from 12-19-2010 with scores of 4; 3.5; 4; 4 and 3.5

The Bros have only themselves to thank for any flags on this one. My CAN review is a gem, but thanks to their recent moratorium on acronyms, I have no choice.

I will NEVER forget my first overseas liberty port, that of Barcelona, Spain in early 1985. We were in The Gut, the worst area of the city, reserved for sailors and my buddies found "a gamer", what we would call a "crack whore", one willing to do anything for money. For those who may know what "Double Penetration" refers to, I would have typed "DP" except for the moratorium. We accomplished more than a "Double", but the details may need to wait. Call this a "DM", oops, Double Malt. Like we're at friggin' Pops' Choklit Shoppe in "Archie". Man, I was playing "Barguments" yesterday and I'da done Betty in one of those scenarios. A double-up with Veronica? Hell, yeah!

Okay I'll buy a day of swill beforehand, but I like this beer! I got a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was liquid sunshine in a glass. Nose was full of adjuncts, but as the Grateful Dead sang (sort of), "Scent's all empty, but I don't care." Am I allowed to cop to my first sexual experience with a DeadHead cougar in 1983? I still dig the unshaven, Euro-style cuties. Finish was smoooth. Yum. Of all of the b**ls**t (no acronyms) this afternoon, this was decent.

Colt 45 Double Malt Liquor from Pabst Brewing Company