Colt 45 Double Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Double Malt LiquorColt 45 Double Malt Liquor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2002)

DOCRW, Feb 23, 2014

Schade, Jan 13, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -43.8%

mjh5397, Feb 03, 2012
1.65/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Do you remember when you were little and you consumed something called a popcorn ball? It seems to me they were popular around Halloween time. It was popcorn shaped like a ball and stuck together with corn syrup to make a sweet little treat that seemed to take forever to consume.

This beer tastes exactly like a popcorn ball. Although nostalgic, I am not fond of this drink. It is yellow with no head. There is a little bit of lacing. It is very fizzy and has a fairly high alcohol content.

Need I say any more?

xbrettfavrex, Nov 21, 2013

rabbitguy, Oct 11, 2014

plumcrazyfx, Jul 19, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -22.1%

I've retrieved this liquid ambrosia from it's favored spot in the fridge, and now reach for the proper serving vessel, a gilded-rimmed crystalline goblet. The moment is at hand! Now, I finally enter beer nirvana!

Okay, I'll stop with the sarcasm. Actually, it was chugged from the bottle in a paper bag, while I crouched in a bus shelter, sitting in my own vomit and waste.

Damn, I said I'd STOP!

Okay, I'm actually pouring this into a glass..easy-open twist cap, 40 oz. bottle.
A pale, cornish yellow, and I want to say "uriney", but that's been done. Pours very clear, nearly invisible. Head is a prodigious gush of pristine, white foam.

Aroma: typical, adjunct-y lager nose, but not skunky, not offensive, just sort of ..."eh."

Taste: not bad, not much, mind you, but not bad. Minimal mouthfeel, gone-before-it-begins kind of finish, and thoroughly absent of flavor. Very pale, very bare, but the malt holds this up pretty well. Unfortunately, the lack of anything else in the mix allows the alcohol (what ever it is, we're not sure) to present itself and begin it's effects before but a few gulps go down. You don't drink this for taste, though, you drink it for those very reasons, it exists to be chugged until the drunken-ness is immenent and moreso thereafter. "Works every time," like Lando Calrissian says.

If I were to rate this strict "for style", it would get high ranks for sure, for it does what it does very well, delivers the drinker into an inebriated state in an efficient, orderly fashion. Honestly? It's got me wishing I'd stopped off for some crack on the way home!

I probably won't finish the 40, not because it's undrinkable, but rather that it bores me, and I'm not particularly inclined to ride it's train tonight. I'd rather hook up with some other brew with maybe even more booze, but more flavor, more complexity, more beauty and sublime sensation. Not a thing you find in the Colt 45 line.

Actually, I think this is going down the drain because I can sense a hangover already...

feloniousmonk, Dec 07, 2003
2.14/5  rDev -19.9%

Im not going to be one of "those guys" that try to get a laugh out of reviewing a malt liquor. I like malt liquors. This one was very disappointing. I actually find it WORSE than the regular Colt 45.

I dunno, I always say having these 40's in a clear bottle is ruining many aspects and worsening an already bad reputation Malt Liquor gets. Especially since I buy the 4O's at a decently stocked liquor store that allows the "poor sections" florescent lights to easily eat away at the characteristics.

The beer smells like pee. Honestly. With a hint of staleness and saltiness. But tasting it is ok. Its a bland mouthfeel with bland carbonation that could honestly be heaver. I expected a sweeter taste than reg. Colt 45 due to it's double name. I expected a sweet malt corn flavor, instead just got the usual corn with a heavy alcohol taste.

ChiChi, Feb 23, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -19.5%

Light gold hue, translucent, bubbly bright white head, decent retention and good lace. Sweet yet dull nose, alcohol is detectable. Not very inviting. Very sweet tasting, maltiness seems to increases as you drink it, no hops for support, especially grainy, very harsh to swallow. Alcohol launches an immediate attack on the brain. This stuff is dangerous. Not recommend for enjoyment consumption.

I must admit; I purchased this Colt 45 product because it proclaimed “double malt!”

bditty187, Jan 06, 2003