1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Colt 45 Double Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Double Malt LiquorColt 45 Double Malt Liquor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2002)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 48 | Reviews: 17 | Show All Ratings:
woodychandler

3.8/5  rDev +40.2%

This all seems curious to me as the below review is for a bottle and alludes to a CANQuest (TM) review, but that review does not seem to exist. No review? No problem! That is one of The CANQuest (TM)'s many mottoes.

24 ounces, that's a lot! The Crack & Glug were textbook and I had a finger-and-a-half of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention when I finished. As it fell, it began to look like meringue atop a lemon pie. Color was sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose reminded me of apple cider plus a metallic twang to offset the fruitiness. Mouthfeel was kind of fizzy, more like pop than beer and the taste was very much like apples. How odd. Not bad, really, just mighty strange. Finish was very dry as tends to be the case with this style. The yeast must work overtime to get all of the fermentable sugars converted. I am going to leave my original numbers as there was not much deviation between CAN and bottle, apparently.

The below is my existing Bottle review from 12-19-2010 with scores of 4; 3.5; 4; 4 and 3.5

The Bros have only themselves to thank for any flags on this one. My CAN review is a gem, but thanks to their recent moratorium on acronyms, I have no choice.

I will NEVER forget my first overseas liberty port, that of Barcelona, Spain in early 1985. We were in The Gut, the worst area of the city, reserved for sailors and my buddies found "a gamer", what we would call a "crack whore", one willing to do anything for money. For those who may know what "Double Penetration" refers to, I would have typed "DP" except for the moratorium. We accomplished more than a "Double", but the details may need to wait. Call this a "DM", oops, Double Malt. Like we're at friggin' Pops' Choklit Shoppe in "Archie". Man, I was playing "Barguments" yesterday and I'da done Betty in one of those scenarios. A double-up with Veronica? Hell, yeah!

Okay I'll buy a day of swill beforehand, but I like this beer! I got a finger of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention off of my pour. Color was liquid sunshine in a glass. Nose was full of adjuncts, but as the Grateful Dead sang (sort of), "Scent's all empty, but I don't care." Am I allowed to cop to my first sexual experience with a DeadHead cougar in 1983? I still dig the unshaven, Euro-style cuties. Finish was smoooth. Yum. Of all of the b**ls**t (no acronyms) this afternoon, this was decent.

04-14-2013 17:58:23 | More by woodychandler
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev +33.9%

Actually, the correct name for this product is Colt 45 Double Malt Malt Liquor. Funny, huh? I bought a 24 oz. can of this in St. Louis, Missouri- it is not sold in Louisiana, unfortunately. It has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is surprisingly high. Aroma is of lightly roasted grains. The taste is moderate to strong and very rich (and maybe too sweet for many). Mouth-feel is heavy, and Colt 45 Double Malt finishes harsh and filling. This is not wimp beer, but is it good? I'd have liked to have had more of these, but my one try was enjoyable.

RJT

07-04-2010 23:06:16 | More by RonaldTheriot
MarkBlackout

Indiana

Keep in mind I'm reviewing this as per the style. This is a damned good malt! I've had a 40 or two of it in the past, and always enjoyed it. Having seen this replace Crazy Stallion at my local bodega, I was excited to give it another solid try. I picked up three 16oz. cans and I am glad I did. Crisp, clean taste, just the sort of shit you're looking for when buying malt tall-boys after a day's labor. I'm not sure the 'double malt' gimmick means anything at all, but this stuff is definitely cleaner-tasting than regular Colt 45. If you see it, buy it.

06-05-2006 03:30:54 | More by MarkBlackout
MarkSmith86

Wisconsin

3.55/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From what i take out of colt 45 double malt, it pours a nice soapy head in my mug. good 2 finger head that goes down pretty quick.. The smell is kinda appealing, like a adjunct lager smell or hell a regular colt 45. the taste/mouthfeel is bold, easy drinking and very carbonated... I think it has a rich full body feel and very easy drinkable for a malt liquor.

03-10-2014 05:53:32 | More by MarkSmith86
ChiChi

Maryland

2.14/5  rDev -21%

Im not going to be one of "those guys" that try to get a laugh out of reviewing a malt liquor. I like malt liquors. This one was very disappointing. I actually find it WORSE than the regular Colt 45.

I dunno, I always say having these 40's in a clear bottle is ruining many aspects and worsening an already bad reputation Malt Liquor gets. Especially since I buy the 4O's at a decently stocked liquor store that allows the "poor sections" florescent lights to easily eat away at the characteristics.

The beer smells like pee. Honestly. With a hint of staleness and saltiness. But tasting it is ok. Its a bland mouthfeel with bland carbonation that could honestly be heaver. I expected a sweeter taste than reg. Colt 45 due to it's double name. I expected a sweet malt corn flavor, instead just got the usual corn with a heavy alcohol taste.

02-23-2014 20:34:09 | More by ChiChi
fastrodney

3.34/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Sample from a glass 40oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A: Medium to dark straw. Thick white foamy head billowed from the bottom of the glass and stuck around.

S: Grain, but to include some of the less-respected ones as well... hops around somewhere in the back, maybe?

T: Bread. The clear winner for aftertaste is bread.

M: Medium body with low carbonation - must be a mistake there - a bad pour or sample possible.

O: I have long considered the standard Colt 45 to be one of the best commercially available malt liquors out there, but this variation is interesting - less sweet and carbonated than its brother, but as I think the name is trying to suggest, possesses some actual malted barley flavor. Carbonation was disappointing in my poured sample, but afterwards I took a drink directly from the bottle and that luscious high carbonation was there. A good option for the style.

01-25-2013 23:37:09 | More by fastrodney
Darkmagus82

3.06/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I had to pour about 10 oz from the 40 into a pint glass to at least give the brew its fair shot. After that first 10 oz however it was all straight from the big, clear, glass bottle- just as it should be.

Appearance – The beer pours the same color as seen through the clear bottle- a medium golden amber color. Upon pouring there is a nice big white head. The head has a nice level of retention fading over ~ 3 min to leave a decent level of lacing.

Smell –The aroma was most potent of a bready and corn smell. Mixed with these are some aromas of musty paper and a light metallic smell.

Taste – The taste, when cold, is quite clean actually. It begins very watery with a decent corn sweetness and light bready flavor. A light caramel flavor comes to the tongue in the middle of the taste and is accompanied by a light paper taste. Besides the sweeter corn and mild bready flavors all the other flavors are quite light throughout the taste and in the end leave moderately crisp taste on the tongue. Now when it warms up more however it is not as crisp. Some more papery and metal tastes come to the tongue in the middle and the end of the taste with a somewhat chalky and dry taste to be left on the tongue when everything is said and done.

Mouthfeel – The body of the brew is quite light in its creaminess and thickness with a carbonation level that is average to above average. The higher carbonation and thinner body are quite appropriate for the style making it a quick drinker.

Overall – Well… it looked fairly decent and when it is cold, it drinks rather easy and crisp. Once it warms up some however it is not quite as easy drinking. Even so when warmer it is still a step above other malts as it doesn't leave a real offensive taste on the tongue.

01-09-2013 01:23:33 | More by Darkmagus82
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.4/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Straight from the clear glass 40.

Nice golden color. Not a strange yellow.

Not much going on really. Slight booze and bread.

Malty but not sick ice beer sweet. Some bitterness in the finish.

Seltzer like. Sharp and snappy with a hint of syrup.

Not bad. Will drink again.

02-25-2012 02:03:52 | More by MirkoCroCough
7beerphil

Maryland

let me start by saying this just might be my favorite 40oz. I mean it doesn't get much smoother than this for a 5.6% brew

I've never poured this out of the bottle, only consumed it straight from the 40. It has a nice Malt Liquor yellow/piss color through the clear 40 bottle. Exactly what you'd expect from this genre.

This baby smells of corn and adjuncts, just like a cheap ML should!

Taste is way above par for a ML. Gets a little thick as it warms up, but hey, who can't finish a 40 in 10 to 15 mins???

Overall, including the slight buzz it gives, I present Double Malt with a 9.5/10 for being amazing and providing a bench-mark for cheap MLs. It will get you feeling good!!

Serving type: nitro-bottle

12-16-2011 02:09:08 | More by 7beerphil
erz316

Indiana

2.73/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

colt 45 was not as bad as I thought it would be. the brew poured a decent colour for a lager, and the smell was neutral enough when it was cold. the taste was comparable to a shitty craft brew or a regular lame pils. really not bad compared to shit like icehouse or olde english.

01-23-2010 04:06:59 | More by erz316
tone77

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very malty. Taste is crisp, malty but not as much as it smelled. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and goes down fairly easily. Overall as far as malt liqours go, this one ain't bad

11-23-2009 23:19:12 | More by tone77
mecell2000

Hungary

2.55/5  rDev -5.9%

Serving type: 40 oz bottle

Colt 45 was one of the drinks we'd buy at corner stores as underagers, so I had to try this spin on the original. It also came with an attractive $2.75 price tag, which reall sealed the deal.

It's very similar to the original Colt 45, but the 'double malt' does make it taste much maltier. It's color is darker than straw yellow and has a 'bleached-white' head. The alcohol creeps up on you but won't give you the spins. Not a bad beer if you're completely broke and are looking to get hammered.

07-01-2008 21:21:09 | More by mecell2000
Maestro

1.65/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Do you remember when you were little and you consumed something called a popcorn ball? It seems to me they were popular around Halloween time. It was popcorn shaped like a ball and stuck together with corn syrup to make a sweet little treat that seemed to take forever to consume.

This beer tastes exactly like a popcorn ball. Although nostalgic, I am not fond of this drink. It is yellow with no head. There is a little bit of lacing. It is very fizzy and has a fairly high alcohol content.

Need I say any more?

03-06-2005 20:55:40 | More by Maestro
feloniousmonk

2.08/5  rDev -23.2%

I've retrieved this liquid ambrosia from it's favored spot in the fridge, and now reach for the proper serving vessel, a gilded-rimmed crystalline goblet. The moment is at hand! Now, I finally enter beer nirvana!

Okay, I'll stop with the sarcasm. Actually, it was chugged from the bottle in a paper bag, while I crouched in a bus shelter, sitting in my own vomit and waste.

Damn, I said I'd STOP!

Okay, I'm actually pouring this into a glass..easy-open twist cap, 40 oz. bottle.
A pale, cornish yellow, and I want to say "uriney", but that's been done. Pours very clear, nearly invisible. Head is a prodigious gush of pristine, white foam.

Aroma: typical, adjunct-y lager nose, but not skunky, not offensive, just sort of ..."eh."

Taste: not bad, not much, mind you, but not bad. Minimal mouthfeel, gone-before-it-begins kind of finish, and thoroughly absent of flavor. Very pale, very bare, but the malt holds this up pretty well. Unfortunately, the lack of anything else in the mix allows the alcohol (what ever it is, we're not sure) to present itself and begin it's effects before but a few gulps go down. You don't drink this for taste, though, you drink it for those very reasons, it exists to be chugged until the drunken-ness is immenent and moreso thereafter. "Works every time," like Lando Calrissian says.

If I were to rate this strict "for style", it would get high ranks for sure, for it does what it does very well, delivers the drinker into an inebriated state in an efficient, orderly fashion. Honestly? It's got me wishing I'd stopped off for some crack on the way home!

I probably won't finish the 40, not because it's undrinkable, but rather that it bores me, and I'm not particularly inclined to ride it's train tonight. I'd rather hook up with some other brew with maybe even more booze, but more flavor, more complexity, more beauty and sublime sensation. Not a thing you find in the Colt 45 line.

Actually, I think this is going down the drain because I can sense a hangover already...

12-07-2003 10:03:12 | More by feloniousmonk
TastyTaste

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Didn't pour it, just sipped on it. It is a very sterilized-looking yellow color, and smells of alcohol and cheerios. Doubling the malt makes this a rather thick brew, for good or worse. It is a great bargain for ~$2, for not that bad of an experience.

10-23-2003 16:10:14 | More by TastyTaste
bditty187

Nebraska

2.15/5  rDev -20.7%

Light gold hue, translucent, bubbly bright white head, decent retention and good lace. Sweet yet dull nose, alcohol is detectable. Not very inviting. Very sweet tasting, maltiness seems to increases as you drink it, no hops for support, especially grainy, very harsh to swallow. Alcohol launches an immediate attack on the brain. This stuff is dangerous. Not recommend for enjoyment consumption.

I must admit; I purchased this Colt 45 product because it proclaimed “double malt!”

01-06-2003 10:42:13 | More by bditty187
BeerBob

Nebraska

Colt 45 Double Malt pours an amberish light yellow from a clear 40oz glass bottle without even the slightest hint of skunk.

Nose of fuel, not rocket, but rather of a light kerosine, that disappears about halfway through the 40oz bottle... Other things start to go at this point also, like the ability to speak or to walk in a straight line...

Palate of sweet malt, not much hops and goes down faster than you can think, as if anyone could think much of anything after one 40oz bottle of this stuff.

07-31-2002 18:03:43 | More by BeerBob