Colt 45 Double Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Double Malt LiquorColt 45 Double Malt Liquor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2002)
View: Beers (58) |  Events

03-02-2012 01:56:29 | More by rydev24
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.4/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Straight from the clear glass 40.

Nice golden color. Not a strange yellow.

Not much going on really. Slight booze and bread.

Malty but not sick ice beer sweet. Some bitterness in the finish.

Seltzer like. Sharp and snappy with a hint of syrup.

Not bad. Will drink again.

02-25-2012 02:03:52 | More by MirkoCroCough

1.5/5  rDev -44.6%

01-13-2012 21:56:02 | More by Schade
7beerphil

Maryland

let me start by saying this just might be my favorite 40oz. I mean it doesn't get much smoother than this for a 5.6% brew

I've never poured this out of the bottle, only consumed it straight from the 40. It has a nice Malt Liquor yellow/piss color through the clear 40 bottle. Exactly what you'd expect from this genre.

This baby smells of corn and adjuncts, just like a cheap ML should!

Taste is way above par for a ML. Gets a little thick as it warms up, but hey, who can't finish a 40 in 10 to 15 mins???

Overall, including the slight buzz it gives, I present Double Malt with a 9.5/10 for being amazing and providing a bench-mark for cheap MLs. It will get you feeling good!!

Serving type: nitro-bottle

11-16-2011 23:37:29 | More by chcfan
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev +33.9%

Actually, the correct name for this product is Colt 45 Double Malt Malt Liquor. Funny, huh? I bought a 24 oz. can of this in St. Louis, Missouri- it is not sold in Louisiana, unfortunately. It has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is surprisingly high. Aroma is of lightly roasted grains. The taste is moderate to strong and very rich (and maybe too sweet for many). Mouth-feel is heavy, and Colt 45 Double Malt finishes harsh and filling. This is not wimp beer, but is it good? I'd have liked to have had more of these, but my one try was enjoyable.

RJT

Serving type: can

07-04-2010 23:06:16 | More by RonaldTheriot
erz316

Indiana

2.73/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

colt 45 was not as bad as I thought it would be. the brew poured a decent colour for a lager, and the smell was neutral enough when it was cold. the taste was comparable to a shitty craft brew or a regular lame pils. really not bad compared to shit like icehouse or olde english.

01-23-2010 04:06:59 | More by erz316
tone77

3.25/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a clear 40 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very malty. Taste is crisp, malty but not as much as it smelled. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and goes down fairly easily. Overall as far as malt liqours go, this one ain't bad

11-23-2009 23:19:12 | More by tone77
mecell2000

Hungary

2.55/5  rDev -5.9%

Serving type: 40 oz bottle

Colt 45 was one of the drinks we'd buy at corner stores as underagers, so I had to try this spin on the original. It also came with an attractive $2.75 price tag, which reall sealed the deal.

It's very similar to the original Colt 45, but the 'double malt' does make it taste much maltier. It's color is darker than straw yellow and has a 'bleached-white' head. The alcohol creeps up on you but won't give you the spins. Not a bad beer if you're completely broke and are looking to get hammered.

07-01-2008 21:21:09 | More by mecell2000
MarkBlackout

Indiana

Keep in mind I'm reviewing this as per the style. This is a damned good malt! I've had a 40 or two of it in the past, and always enjoyed it. Having seen this replace Crazy Stallion at my local bodega, I was excited to give it another solid try. I picked up three 16oz. cans and I am glad I did. Crisp, clean taste, just the sort of shit you're looking for when buying malt tall-boys after a day's labor. I'm not sure the 'double malt' gimmick means anything at all, but this stuff is definitely cleaner-tasting than regular Colt 45. If you see it, buy it.

Serving type: can

06-05-2006 03:30:54 | More by MarkBlackout
Maestro

1.65/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Do you remember when you were little and you consumed something called a popcorn ball? It seems to me they were popular around Halloween time. It was popcorn shaped like a ball and stuck together with corn syrup to make a sweet little treat that seemed to take forever to consume.

This beer tastes exactly like a popcorn ball. Although nostalgic, I am not fond of this drink. It is yellow with no head. There is a little bit of lacing. It is very fizzy and has a fairly high alcohol content.

Need I say any more?

03-06-2005 20:55:40 | More by Maestro
feloniousmonk

2.08/5  rDev -23.2%

I've retrieved this liquid ambrosia from it's favored spot in the fridge, and now reach for the proper serving vessel, a gilded-rimmed crystalline goblet. The moment is at hand! Now, I finally enter beer nirvana!

Okay, I'll stop with the sarcasm. Actually, it was chugged from the bottle in a paper bag, while I crouched in a bus shelter, sitting in my own vomit and waste.

Damn, I said I'd STOP!

Okay, I'm actually pouring this into a glass..easy-open twist cap, 40 oz. bottle.
A pale, cornish yellow, and I want to say "uriney", but that's been done. Pours very clear, nearly invisible. Head is a prodigious gush of pristine, white foam.

Aroma: typical, adjunct-y lager nose, but not skunky, not offensive, just sort of ..."eh."

Taste: not bad, not much, mind you, but not bad. Minimal mouthfeel, gone-before-it-begins kind of finish, and thoroughly absent of flavor. Very pale, very bare, but the malt holds this up pretty well. Unfortunately, the lack of anything else in the mix allows the alcohol (what ever it is, we're not sure) to present itself and begin it's effects before but a few gulps go down. You don't drink this for taste, though, you drink it for those very reasons, it exists to be chugged until the drunken-ness is immenent and moreso thereafter. "Works every time," like Lando Calrissian says.

If I were to rate this strict "for style", it would get high ranks for sure, for it does what it does very well, delivers the drinker into an inebriated state in an efficient, orderly fashion. Honestly? It's got me wishing I'd stopped off for some crack on the way home!

I probably won't finish the 40, not because it's undrinkable, but rather that it bores me, and I'm not particularly inclined to ride it's train tonight. I'd rather hook up with some other brew with maybe even more booze, but more flavor, more complexity, more beauty and sublime sensation. Not a thing you find in the Colt 45 line.

Actually, I think this is going down the drain because I can sense a hangover already...

12-07-2003 10:03:12 | More by feloniousmonk
TastyTaste

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

Didn't pour it, just sipped on it. It is a very sterilized-looking yellow color, and smells of alcohol and cheerios. Doubling the malt makes this a rather thick brew, for good or worse. It is a great bargain for ~$2, for not that bad of an experience.

10-23-2003 16:10:14 | More by TastyTaste