Colt 45 Double Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 Double Malt LiquorColt 45 Double Malt Liquor

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.61% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-31-2002)
1.65/5  rDev -38.4%

Do you remember when you were little and you consumed something called a popcorn ball? It seems to me they were popular around Halloween time. It was popcorn shaped like a ball and stuck together with corn syrup to make a sweet little treat that seemed to take forever to consume.

This beer tastes exactly like a popcorn ball. Although nostalgic, I am not fond of this drink. It is yellow with no head. There is a little bit of lacing. It is very fizzy and has a fairly high alcohol content.

Need I say any more?

Maestro, Mar 06, 2005
2.08/5  rDev -22.4%

I've retrieved this liquid ambrosia from it's favored spot in the fridge, and now reach for the proper serving vessel, a gilded-rimmed crystalline goblet. The moment is at hand! Now, I finally enter beer nirvana!

Okay, I'll stop with the sarcasm. Actually, it was chugged from the bottle in a paper bag, while I crouched in a bus shelter, sitting in my own vomit and waste.

Damn, I said I'd STOP!

Okay, I'm actually pouring this into a glass..easy-open twist cap, 40 oz. bottle.
A pale, cornish yellow, and I want to say "uriney", but that's been done. Pours very clear, nearly invisible. Head is a prodigious gush of pristine, white foam.

Aroma: typical, adjunct-y lager nose, but not skunky, not offensive, just sort of ..."eh."

Taste: not bad, not much, mind you, but not bad. Minimal mouthfeel, gone-before-it-begins kind of finish, and thoroughly absent of flavor. Very pale, very bare, but the malt holds this up pretty well. Unfortunately, the lack of anything else in the mix allows the alcohol (what ever it is, we're not sure) to present itself and begin it's effects before but a few gulps go down. You don't drink this for taste, though, you drink it for those very reasons, it exists to be chugged until the drunken-ness is immenent and moreso thereafter. "Works every time," like Lando Calrissian says.

If I were to rate this strict "for style", it would get high ranks for sure, for it does what it does very well, delivers the drinker into an inebriated state in an efficient, orderly fashion. Honestly? It's got me wishing I'd stopped off for some crack on the way home!

I probably won't finish the 40, not because it's undrinkable, but rather that it bores me, and I'm not particularly inclined to ride it's train tonight. I'd rather hook up with some other brew with maybe even more booze, but more flavor, more complexity, more beauty and sublime sensation. Not a thing you find in the Colt 45 line.

Actually, I think this is going down the drain because I can sense a hangover already...

feloniousmonk, Dec 07, 2003
2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Didn't pour it, just sipped on it. It is a very sterilized-looking yellow color, and smells of alcohol and cheerios. Doubling the malt makes this a rather thick brew, for good or worse. It is a great bargain for ~$2, for not that bad of an experience.

TastyTaste, Oct 23, 2003
2.15/5  rDev -19.8%

Light gold hue, translucent, bubbly bright white head, decent retention and good lace. Sweet yet dull nose, alcohol is detectable. Not very inviting. Very sweet tasting, maltiness seems to increases as you drink it, no hops for support, especially grainy, very harsh to swallow. Alcohol launches an immediate attack on the brain. This stuff is dangerous. Not recommend for enjoyment consumption.

I must admit; I purchased this Colt 45 product because it proclaimed “double malt!”

bditty187, Jan 06, 2003

Colt 45 Double Malt pours an amberish light yellow from a clear 40oz glass bottle without even the slightest hint of skunk.

Nose of fuel, not rocket, but rather of a light kerosine, that disappears about halfway through the 40oz bottle... Other things start to go at this point also, like the ability to speak or to walk in a straight line...

Palate of sweet malt, not much hops and goes down faster than you can think, as if anyone could think much of anything after one 40oz bottle of this stuff.

BeerBob, Jul 31, 2002