McSorley's Irish Black Lager - Pabst Brewing Company

McSorley's Irish Black LagerMcSorley's Irish Black Lager

good

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

Schwarzbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: oriolesfan4 on 01-29-2009)
4.13/5  rDev +18%

What a unique find! Black lagers other than German Schwarzbiers aren't too common. This beer has a great roasty aroma with no hop in the nose at all. It pours a deep brown/black color. It is very light on the tongue, and very clean like a schwarzbier. It isn't the most impressive beer, but very drinkable indeed!

zymurgy4all, Apr 24, 2009
4.14/5  rDev +18.3%

I can reuse this bottle for hombrewing so I am giving some extra sumtin for dat! But look at that head! It is a very nice tan one finger head of tiny to small sized bubbles that fade to a heavy ring around the glass and a cap in the center and leaves a nice little Hopi village in the side of sandstone cliff kind of lacing on the glass. The beer pours a clear but opaque black. I poured this beer at about 50 degrees F.

At an instant an aroma of dark roasted malts hit me. Underneath that are some sweet malts and a bread like note. Someone reviewed it as the dark toasted crust on a slice of bread. They were not too far off. It's pleasant to say the least.

Taste wise once again like with many beers is amazingly similar to the aroma. At first the dark roasted malts are apparent and they carry through with the sip, but just after and sort of under that flavour is a darkened caramel sweetness almost like cola (as another reviewer put it) and then as the beer continues on the sweet fades to mild to medium English bittering hops on the back of the tongue with some dryness and a hint of licorice. Again, it is dry and a little bitter, but only enough so as to get you to drink more!

The mouthfeel is often described as crisp and I tend to agree. It's body is light to moderate with just over moderate carbonation which puts forth the crispiness. It's balanced and refreshing.

Overall, I would say that this is an excellent Schwarzbier at the least. I would totally seek this out AND recommend it to the beginning craft beer drinker as a good transition beer as well as an alternative to a stout in which they may not like. It is a great alternative to the latter in the winter as you feel like you can session this 5.5 % ABV beer without getting bloated and hammered. 4 out of 5!

WissBrauSean, Mar 27, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +19.4%

When you have the name Irish on your beer there are expectations. When you also stick the word "black" on the label the expectations increase. This beer poured a dark dark brown and even looked plain brown for the last third. A nice tan head with a scent that said "welcome old friend." Smelled just like a beer should. I need McSorley's to make a candle of this beer. Taste was rich not overbearing - I could make a night with a few of these - Very very smooth.

SisuPride, May 18, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +20.6%

I think this is an exceptional find for any Irish stout lover. The overall characteristics are very similar to the Guinness 250 Anniversary edition brew. This has the same sourness that Guinness is synonymous with (especially the foreign or extra stout strains). While not as complex as Guinness foreign stout, it seems very similar to Guinness 250 edition. It has slightly more mouthfeel and slightly less maltiness (due to it being a black lager to be sure). If you find it cheaper then Guinness at your market, then this is a definite buy. I'm comparing this to Guinness simply because it seems to emulate it so much: it has the same basic acidity and maltiness of the recent 250 variety (IE it has more flavor then the Guinness draught versions but it's not as heavy as the "foreign stout" versions). The main thing that I like about this beer over other Irish ales is it seems to have the same Brettanomyces strains of sourness that I like in Guinness. This is the first time I've had a McSorley's, and from what I've gleened, this is a relatively new contract from Lion brewery. Will be interesting to see if this keeps going: I think it's good for what it is: a lighter Guinness foriegn stout.

dsr0116, Jun 07, 2009

Hoagie1973, Jun 06, 2012

belindatookus, May 30, 2012

Stoshua, Jan 17, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +22.3%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The body has a dark brownish color with a slight reddish hue. There is some visible carbonation that flows up to the tall tan head. The head had very good retention and lacing.

Smell: There is a lightly roasted character and sweet malted barley with just a hint of hops.

Taste/Mouth: The flavor has some slight roasted coffee notes with sweet bready and roasted malt notes. Hop flavor is light and brings some mineral/leafy notes to the finish. The finish is rather clean with roasted flavors and hop bitterness fading quickly. The palate is a smooth medium body with just the right amount of carbonation to help clean the palate.

Notes: Overall this is a very enjoyable and very drinkable black lager.

generallee, Jul 18, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +22.9%

It almost looks as if I have Coca-Cola in my mug rather than beer, with its similar , almost translucent deep brown color and thin fizzy head. The aroma is like that of a sweet stout - giving my nose the pleasure of milk chocolate, roasty malts, and a hint of grapefruit hops as well. The light bodied beer coats my mouth nicely with its oily mouthfeel, and as the beer traverses my palate, I begin to again notice a nice mix of sweet stout flavorings, and this time in the taste itself there is a definite pronounced hop bitterness, especially in the finish. This is an excellent everyday beer - very straightforward and mild. I am particularly fond of Schwartzbier, although this is no Kostritzer. Ultimately you really need to take a trip to McSorley's Old Ale House in NYC, get a table, and knock back a bunch of these with some rowdy friends!

Neorebel, Jul 08, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried it on tap at Bubba's Ale House. A great draft beer to complement pub grub! Very smooth and drinkable.

The taste was between Guiness and Newcastle, closer to the latter. The carbonation was also much closer to that of Newcastle.

I loved the fact that it's American made by Pabst; we can sure use the jobs! It's a 'real' dark beer, not at all like Miller's Lowenbrau Dark.

cbinflux, Oct 10, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +22.9%

Pours deep black/brown with thin tan head. Head does not retain well, hardly laces glass. Smells a bit smokey. Tastes of chocolate, smokey roast coffee beans, hint of caramel or molasses? Overall a smooth drinking brew, not disimilar to a milk stout.
There is a bar of the same name in Manhattan that serves this, though they have nothing to do with brewing.

CaptJackHarkness, Sep 24, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +27.1%

This is my first time trying this brewery. I've heard good things.

A: Black. When held to the light a bet of dark amber/ burnt orange comes through. Moderate head quickly fades but maintains on the side of the glass throughout. Little lacing.

S: Great licorice smell is dominant with back tones of roasted barley and freshly trimmed grass. Slight coffee tones are also present.

T: Like the scent only not as intense. Licorice, grass, dirt, and roasted coffee are all there in a tremendous balance. There is also a caramel sweetness that plays with the tongue during the middle and into the aftertaste of this beer. The finish is very dry, with a nice hop presence . . . not too bitter, but just a reminder that they're in there (more so than most black beers I've tried). Earthy flavors throughout. Stick your head in some great, intoxicating dirt and this is what you have.

M: Light and dry. Perfect for this style. The carbonation is just a little too high for my liking, and the dryness might turn some people off, but this is nitpicking.

D: I don't know what the abv on this beer is, but the only downfall I see in drinkability is its dryness. Other than that, it is a tasty, smooth, and very drinkable lager.

bluetravlr, Feb 11, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

From a 12 fl. oz. bottle marked 051809-1613022. Sampled on March 16, 2009.

Before I get into details I must say that this was one of best tasting beers I've had lately.

The pour is deep black with a short-lived tan head. The aroma is a luscious smelling licorice, smokey, pipe tobacco, chocolate malt mixture. I really couldn't define it. All I could think of was a smoke-filled pub (and I don't smoke).

The mouthfeel was medium to heavy and somewhat creamy. The taste was very much like its aroma of licorice and smoke with a vibrant but subtle hoppy sensation. Wow, I wish I picked up a 6-pack of this one.

puboflyons, Mar 16, 2009

NormLobstah, May 25, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

Draft into two 8 oz. glass mugs.

A- So dark, light cannot escape its surface. Pours a thin hazel head with moderate lacing.

S- Smokey. Rich and heavy with notes of milky coffee.

T- Tasting notes include toffee, cream, and cola. A little smokey. Almost like the lager equivalent of a milk stout.

MF- Crisp, nicely carbonated. Not nearly as heavy as I expected. Goes down surprisingly easy.

D- Such a solid beer should not be so easy to drink, but sure enough, it is. I can and have easily made an evening out of this beer. Well balanced, delightful stuff.

OMGTheyKilkenny, Sep 06, 2011

wrightst, Jun 23, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +30.9%

Wow, what a pleasant surprise!
I had never heard of this, but having liked the Sam Adams Black Lager, I figured I'd give it a try...

Appearance was fantastic, almost stout-like in dark blackness and foamy off-white head. Retained a small white head throughout, and left very good lacing down the side of the glass.

Smell is nice roasty and chocolate. You get some sweet malt on the nose also.

A dry bitterness in the taste, but not too dry. Sweetness is very present in the initial taste, and it seems perfectly balanced to me with the bitter/roasted aftertaste of strong coffee.

Mouthfeel was fully present, not the least bit watery. At the same time, it was not filling. I'm not sure if this beer is really this good, or if I just like the style (as well as stouts), but this is a good brew.

Drinkability - wow, for all the flavor and nice mouthfeel here, this beer's damn drinkable! No ABV listed, but I can't feel it halfway through so I'm guessing it's in the 4-5% range. Also, this beer was VERY cheap considering. I want to pick up a 6 pack in the future.

pandashaver, May 01, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +30.9%

I really loved this beer. I had never heard of it before and found it on tap at one of the local Bier Stubes. It was a very dark beer. Similar to a stout. Smell and taste of coffee/chocolate. The great thing about this beer is the lack of aftertaste. Most beers like this have a strong bitter aftertaste that lingers. That wasn't the case here. I will definitely have this beer again.

Cubsfan1087, Dec 20, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +34.3%

I bought this at a liquor store by my apartment and bought it since it said it was an "Irish Black Lager" and I'm of Irish decent. I cracked it open and drank it out of the bottle and was amazed at how great it tasted, definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. It was kind of sweet yet acidic at the same time, no noticeable after taste. Very high drinkability, I could easily drink
a whole six pack in one sitting.

I'm definitely going to get another six pack of this when I kill the current one that I have.

Highly Recommended.