Lucky Lager - Pabst Brewing Company

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 07-19-2002

Ratings: 25 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by 2beerdogs:
3.15/5  rDev +29.1%

Appearance – Clear yellow in the body with a tinge of orange and some very active effervescence. The head was big and white but went down quickly.

Smell – This is good ‘ol American grain at its best. The traditional aroma leapt from the bottle even before I got the top to the 40 ounce bottle completely unscrewed. There’s also a bit of must as well. The absence of skunk or other offensive odors is promising.

Taste – This really isn’t as bad as it could have been. I certainly wouldn’t call it “good”, but I will say that it “doesn’t suck.”

The grain is actually quite big, and it doesn’t have that overpowering sucrose sweetness at the end like most American macros (especially its cousin PBR). In fact, I think I’ll upgrade this one from “doesn’t suck” to “not bad.”

Mouthfeel – I felt that this was Lucky Lager’s strong point. The carbonation was a smidgen above the usual Alka-seltzer types found in most macros, and there was a refreshing character to it as well.

Drinkability – This went down better than I thought it would. There’s nothing offensive in the bottle and it makes you feel damn American holding one of these 40s.

3.05/5  rDev +25%

This is an oldie but goodie. The beer pours a typical clear yellow color with little to no head. The smell is of grain and not much else. The taste is great for what it is. It is not too sweet or skunky. The flavor is dominated by grain but it is not to the point that it sucks. This is a very drinkable macro and if it is offered to me I will not turn it down.

3.2/5  rDev +31.1%

Im sure this isn't the same as the original. Im also sure it makes little to no difference.

pours clear and pale yellow with minimal fizz that dies quickly.

Nose is full of corny type adjunct lager smell. typical.

Taste is exactly what one would expect. Cheap adjunct lager. It is what it is folks.

Mouthfeel is the same as every other macro lager.

Drinkability is high, as all carbonated water plus corn brews are.

Overall, this is a macro ladies and gents. You knew what you were buying, so don't act all pissed off about it. It's not terrible beer, it just is what it is. People love to hate. But you know what. I like all styles of beer, as long as they don't taste like shit. This doesn't taste like shit, it tastes like...macro beer. Fairly refreshing, and easy to drink anytime.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

My rating is purely nostalgic. When I was a kid, my dad would drink this stuff. The bottle caps had puzzles, like the game concentration. I would get super excited to figure them out. I used to even uncap his new bottles while he was at work so that I could do the puzzles, and then recap them. Needless to say, my dad had a lot of flat Lucky Lager. Also, when I was in college, you could get a case of the 11oz bottles for like $3 which is was fantastic when you have zero dinero. Sure, it doesn't taste all that good, but it did the job.

reminds me of high school, lol crappy beer for sure

Lucky Lager from Pabst Brewing Company