Colt 45 High Gravity Lager - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 High Gravity LagerColt 45 High Gravity Lager

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 09-26-2009)

Falcone, Sep 11, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -54%

funkyaudio, Sep 05, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours to a nice looking white head that hangs around for a while and tries to lace, but then it craps out to a thin ring. Color is light gold. Aroma is sweet corn and veggies--there's some malt in there too. Flavor is sweet, tangy, clean, boozy and corn-syrupy as hell--just what it should be. Finish is all alcohol and corn. Mouthfeel is light and dry and more like brandy or vodka. Overall, a decent buzzer that plays to its audience well.

AROMA 5/10 APPEARANCE 4/5 TASTE 5/10 PALATE 3/5 OVERALL 8/20

EagleTalon, Aug 24, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +75.7%

Appearance is perfect!! pale yellow see through. head inch thick poured into pint glass. white medium head. Not foamy.

The smell is of sweet fresh corn that's been soaking in sugar water overnight. FYI, it tastes good when grilled! Hop aroma, maybe a very minimal amount of but can't put my nose on it.

Taste. Just when I thought Colt 45 was my favorite, this one outdated regular colt 45, by far.
Much sweeter and I can't put a word or ingredient that comes to mind to describe it. It tastes amazing! So malty but not heavy and we work on mouthfeel. Lighter than Steel Reserve if I can say that. Not too much carbonation as to make it ungulpable but enough there to keep it afloat.

Overall. a kick butt beer!
I bought a 4 pack of 16oz cans for 3.20. Not that I'm trying to get ripped but mind you, 8.5% abv is something else on an empty stomach. After 1 of these after work. Felt nice.
To Colt 45... You rock! keep making good high gravity beer!

basscram, Aug 09, 2014
3.59/5  rDev +32%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Works every time? it sure does, at least for me. $2 for a 24oz 8.5% beer? I don't think you can get a better value. And you know what?; this beer is alot better than poor. in fact, anyone rating this beer poor or below average needs a reality check. It's actually better than average, and once again, better than tons of mediocre craft I've had. And the gorgeous 24oz can doesn't hurt.

Pale yellow decent head not my favorite look but it's ok. Nicely malted aroma, no off smells and very fresh. Big malt liquor taste, smooth and refreshing with plenty of flavor. Hop presence noted with hints of apple and pear. Easy drinking for a hot summer night.

Dropped my car off Monday night picked up my rental in the hood. Heading towards K&A (that would be Kensington and Allegheny, Philadelphia PA (where i grew up) knew I'd find a beer deli. Sure enough, there was B&G (or was it G&B?) walked in saw this 24 had to have one. Tasted it, grabbed 2 more. Gotta love the hood, hey, it's where I'm from. Will certainly get this again.

Last year i spent $75 on my Rare. Yes it was good but I'm sure was much better fresh. Spending that $75 was just fucking stupid, and a complete waste of money. This proves beer doesn't have to be expensive, or craft, just has to be good. This is Beer Advocate, not Craft Beer Advocate, after all.

RacerX5k, Jun 18, 2014

JakeBarnett, Jun 13, 2014

neckbeered, May 12, 2014

Poured from a tallboy into a Pilsener-style sampler glass. I fill the glass, then put the tallboy back in the fridge. A moderate pour will produce about 3/4-1 inch head that billows over the top and proves pretty sticky, really. The beer is an extra-pale golden with a tinge of ruddiness and light to moderate carbonation.

You actually get some light floral hops on the nose, along with a bit o' corn mash. The taste is of light malt with salty cooked corn undertones, some caramelly sweetness and spicy, fruity alcohol. Sourness and salt in the aftertaste, balanced with some sweetness, and a little hoppy bitterness.

SOAP BOX: I wish people would stop referring to beer as "piss" or its synomyms- a common descriptor in the malt liquor reviews. ("Urine" is actually the worst- at least "piss" evokes the sound of the can being cracked). Please, please refrain from such crude verbiage. They who employ such crudities are truly a beer snob, but of the lowest order (and "snotty at that). Have you no class? No shame? Do you consider the fact, that some of us might actually be drinking and/or eating something whilst reviewing these often interesting, informative reviews?

Do us a favor- the next time you liken beer to urine, please also explain how the real mccoy tastes- we're all dying to know (not).

Anyhow, this beer, while not a gem of the brewing art, does indeed possess the normal characteristics that any sane person would regard as those of beer, no matter how low the perceived cultural associations.

archyquaffer, Apr 26, 2014

Exeter, Mar 24, 2014

threedaggers, Mar 07, 2014

AmitC, Feb 09, 2014
4.48/5  rDev +64.7%

First of all I would like to say that I am not a fan of the regular colt 45 because doesn't seem to do the trick for me.

I tried this beer and expected it to be comparable with most high gravity beers.

I cracked open a can of this and drank it and man oh man I was amazed!!! This stuff tasted better than a lot of regular beers and tasted absolutely the best of any HG beer I have ever tasted.

This is my drink from now on. I will drink this because it is the best beer hands down. I wish it came in a glass bottle but for the price and at 8.5% the taste is amazing, everything about this is the best.

I drink a lot and have drunk everything and this stuff is absolutely the best. (PERIOD)

iman99, Jan 29, 2014

spycow, Jan 17, 2013

t0rin0, Dec 05, 2012

Antonius08, Aug 25, 2012
2.9/5  rDev +6.6%

Another "top ten" AML, currently sitting at #9 on the style list. Found this at a neighborhood bodega, surprisingly it's not all that easy to find around town. The black can is dated JUN1112" on the bottom, a possible production or best by date (assuming best by, considering the source).

Crack & glug, as ol' Woody says... pale urine gold with slow trails of carbonation rising upward. Copious amounts of foam, a good 3-4" on top, though it quickly fizzles out to a feeble broken skim on the surface. Second pour was 1" with a creamy surface texture. Some spotty lace clings inside the glass.

Smells ok, not bad not good. Believe me i've whiffed worse. Pretty tame, grainy and dry, no trace of the alcohol yet.

Tastes pretty nondescript, like white wine and cereal grains. The alcohol is present as it warms, and not all that pleasant. Slightly fusely but not too astringent really. The first sips deaden the tongue a bit, and the low carbonation gives it a certain slickness. Pretty drinkable considering the style, actually drinking it as opposed to dumping it.

Is it bad? Not really. Wouldn't seek it out, and I think there are better tasting budget options out there like Hurricane and Natty Daddy.

emerge077, Aug 06, 2012