Colt 45 High Gravity Lager - Pabst Brewing Company

Colt 45 High Gravity LagerColt 45 High Gravity Lager

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Zorro on 09-26-2009)
View: Beers (58) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by AmitC:
AmitC

02-09-2014 18:27:10 | More by AmitC
RacerX5k

3.93/5  rDev +45%

Works every time? it sure does, at least for me. $2 for a 24oz 8.5% beer? I don't think you can get a better value. And you know what?; this beer is alot better than poor. in fact, anyone rating this beer poor or below average needs a reality check. It's actually better than average, and once again, better than tons of mediocre craft I've had. And the gorgeous 24oz can doesn't hurt.

Pale yellow decent head not my favorite look but it's ok. Nicely malted aroma, no off smells and very fresh. Big malt liquor taste, smooth and refreshing with plenty of flavor. Hop presence noted with hints of apple and pear. Easy drinking for a hot summer night.

Dropped my car off Monday night picked up my rental in the hood. Heading towards K&A (that would be Kensington and Allegheny, Philadelphia PA (where i grew up) knew I'd find a beer deli. Sure enough, there was B&G (or was it G&B?) walked in saw this 24 had to have one. Tasted it, grabbed 2 more. Gotta love the hood, hey, it's where I'm from. Will certainly get this again.

Last year i spent $75 on my Rare. Yes it was good but I'm sure was much better fresh. Spending that $75 was just fucking stupid, and a complete waste of money. This proves beer doesn't have to be expensive, or craft, just has to be good. This is Beer Advocate, not Craft Beer Advocate, after all.

06-18-2014 16:09:20 | More by RacerX5k
JakeBarnett

2.75/5  rDev +1.5%

06-13-2014 16:13:13 | More by JakeBarnett
neckbeered

05-12-2014 16:09:49 | More by neckbeered
archyquaffer

Montana

Poured from a tallboy into a Pilsener-style sampler glass. I fill the glass, then put the tallboy back in the fridge. A moderate pour will produce about 3/4-1 inch head that billows over the top and proves pretty sticky, really. The beer is an extra-pale golden with a tinge of ruddiness and light to moderate carbonation.

You actually get some light floral hops on the nose, along with a bit o' corn mash. The taste is of light malt with salty cooked corn undertones, some caramelly sweetness and spicy, fruity alcohol. Sourness and salt in the aftertaste, balanced with some sweetness, and a little hoppy bitterness.

SOAP BOX: I wish people would stop referring to beer as "piss" or its synomyms- a common descriptor in the malt liquor reviews. ("Urine" is actually the worst- at least "piss" evokes the sound of the can being cracked). Please, please refrain from such crude verbiage. They who employ such crudities are truly a beer snob, but of the lowest order (and "snotty at that). Have you no class? No shame? Do you consider the fact, that some of us might actually be drinking and/or eating something whilst reviewing these often interesting, informative reviews?

Do us a favor- the next time you liken beer to urine, please also explain how the real mccoy tastes- we're all dying to know (not).

Anyhow, this beer, while not a gem of the brewing art, does indeed possess the normal characteristics that any sane person would regard as those of beer, no matter how low the perceived cultural associations.

04-25-2014 23:25:46 | More by archyquaffer

03-07-2014 03:44:31 | More by threedaggers
iman99

Louisiana

4.48/5  rDev +65.3%

First of all I would like to say that I am not a fan of the regular colt 45 because doesn't seem to do the trick for me.

I tried this beer and expected it to be comparable with most high gravity beers.

I cracked open a can of this and drank it and man oh man I was amazed!!! This stuff tasted better than a lot of regular beers and tasted absolutely the best of any HG beer I have ever tasted.

This is my drink from now on. I will drink this because it is the best beer hands down. I wish it came in a glass bottle but for the price and at 8.5% the taste is amazing, everything about this is the best.

I drink a lot and have drunk everything and this stuff is absolutely the best. (PERIOD)

01-29-2014 22:53:35 | More by iman99

Antonius08

08-25-2012 20:44:09 | More by Antonius08
emerge077

2.9/5  rDev +7%

Another "top ten" AML, currently sitting at #9 on the style list. Found this at a neighborhood bodega, surprisingly it's not all that easy to find around town. The black can is dated JUN1112" on the bottom, a possible production or best by date (assuming best by, considering the source).

Crack & glug, as ol' Woody says... pale urine gold with slow trails of carbonation rising upward. Copious amounts of foam, a good 3-4" on top, though it quickly fizzles out to a feeble broken skim on the surface. Second pour was 1" with a creamy surface texture. Some spotty lace clings inside the glass.

Smells ok, not bad not good. Believe me i've whiffed worse. Pretty tame, grainy and dry, no trace of the alcohol yet.

Tastes pretty nondescript, like white wine and cereal grains. The alcohol is present as it warms, and not all that pleasant. Slightly fusely but not too astringent really. The first sips deaden the tongue a bit, and the low carbonation gives it a certain slickness. Pretty drinkable considering the style, actually drinking it as opposed to dumping it.

Is it bad? Not really. Wouldn't seek it out, and I think there are better tasting budget options out there like Hurricane and Natty Daddy.

08-06-2012 22:13:26 | More by emerge077
fastrodney

05-13-2012 02:39:59 | More by fastrodney
ForWhatAlesYou

1.63/5  rDev -39.9%

24oz can poured into an old jar (I thought it was the most appropriate glassware for this style. A paper bag could have worked nicely.)

A: Champagne-like creamy clear yellow. Heavy carbonation bubbles. Soapy white head falls most of the way but hangs around. Lace coats the entire glass.

S: Like a bowl of rice krispies swimming in cheap vodka.

T: Actually, there is some intrigue here. This is very unexpected. If it were a little sweeter, I might be convinced I'm drinking a hard cider. As it is, the flavor is harsh, boozy, anf lacking dimension. Rice, Red Bull, apple peel...

M: Alcohol warms and cuts through all texture. Heavy carbonation. Overly dry.

D: Really?

12-13-2011 15:55:57 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
JoLight

Georgia

1.8/5  rDev -33.6%

This beer is light gold in its appearance, with a soapy head that doesn't stick around.

The aroma is mainly straight-forward alcohol, balanced with sweetness, corn & generalized graininess.

The taste is a big punch of alcohol, and alcoholic bitterness, with no hops and very little grain/malt presence. Then the aftertaste leaves a slight trace of barley malt. To be quite frank, it has sort of a wine aspect to it.

It's clean, crisp, super dry, and very carbonated.

Overall, it's just too alcoholic for my preference for beer. I don't mind the alcohol taste at all, but it's almost just that, and no beer aspects whatsoever. There is no skunkiness or fowl aromas or tastes to it, but it's just too unbalanced for me.

09-28-2011 00:48:50 | More by JoLight
Bendurgin

Maine

2.1/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured into my Wolverine pint glass. Awesome. Pours a clear golden straw color with a cap of white head that fizzles away almost as soon as it forms.

This has your run of the mill sweet corn smell. Just as I expected, nothing more to it just sweet corn. The flavor is a lot like the aroma. Sweet corn with a little bit of rubber thrown in to the mix. The alcohol isn't shy here either, it makes a strong burning presence.

The feel is light and the carbonation is a little low. Overall this serves a purpose, but not really much of one for me.

09-21-2011 04:42:44 | More by Bendurgin
ElCommodoro

3.53/5  rDev +30.3%

Smells de-lish. I smell a strong corn scent and some cheap malt. It almost smells like an Olde English, but not as strong. I can't wait to take a taste of this stuff.
The appearance is bright gold that is completely transparent. It's got a little bit of that glow that many high gravity lagers seem to have. I'm not sure what causes it, but I'm hoping radioactivity plays only a small role. The head is thick and frothy, leaving an impressively appealing lacing.
The taste is primarily of fusel alcohol. Despite this, it is surprisingly smooth. Almost dishearteningly so. I like a good dose of corn flavour in my malt liquor, and there's not a lot of that here. It's a bit sweet, but less so than many other malt liquors I've indulged in. So, it's a refreshing departure from the sweetness associated with the style, but I do kind of miss it. :'(
There's a bit of a banana flavour in there, but only slightly detectable. Not especially noticeable.
It really seems like a lot of what was in this lager was converted to alcohol. Not much cheap malt flavour. No cloying corniness. It's sad, but...interesting. I'm not sure what to rate this. I'm really in a fix. I'm going to have to rate it fairly high, i think, because it is superior to many other beers labeled "high gravity lager." It doesn't taste quite as much like a chemical factory despite it's very light overall character. I really wish it HAD more character, though. Not just lightly fusel-flavoured carbonated water.
It's certainly above average. That is my final word on the matter.
Not to mention one can got me totally drunk. Good stuff in that regard.

06-19-2011 10:09:34 | More by ElCommodoro