Old Milwaukee Non Alcoholic - Pabst Brewing Company

Old Milwaukee Non AlcoholicOld Milwaukee Non Alcoholic

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

Low Alcohol Beer |  0.40% ABV

(Beer added by: EagleTalon on 08-27-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.68/5  rDev +56.6%

With a big old "OM" on the side of the can, I'm already whisked off into a trance. How could I pass this up?

This one is a washed-out gold with a brown tint to it. There is a furious torrent of bubbles streaming up from an imperfection in the bottom of my pint that sustains a frothy eggshell head. This leaves clumps of thin lace up and down my glass. Looks rather nice actually.

Smells of fresh wort, much like grape nuts, with a pasty white flower to boot. There's a slight floral character that helps hide a faint raw sugar sweetness.

Tastes quite similar with the raw grains, but now there's a crisp snap to it consisting of celery and birch bark that suggests a pilsner, but most of this dryness seems to taste more like CO2 than an actual hop variety. Either way, this makes me feel like I'm drinking a soda and not a beer.

Feels very light and exceptionally clean with a rough explosion of soapy bubbles that rise and fall instantaneously.

Not a bad beer for when you want a beer, but don't want the alcohol. A really easy drinker. I look forward to my other 5 cans.

3.55/5  rDev +51.1%

I haven't had a whole lot of NA's so I tried to keep the style and characteristics in mind when reviewing this beer. It pours a very light caramel color and has a surprising nice head that doens't recede much at all and has moderate carbonation. You wouldn't know it's a NA based on the smell. Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated and is a little sweet. Taste is only average and again I tried to keep the style in mind. Low alcohol is gonna have less taste. Clausthaler and Kaliber are exceptions. Overall I think I this a pretty good beer for a NA. You won't ever get a buzz from this stuff, but it's nice to have once in a great while.

3.38/5  rDev +43.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nice looking red can pours pale gold into a pint shaker glass. One finger of white head and a fair amount of lacings.
Smell is malty grains. Maybe a touch of hay.
Taste is malts, some barley, a tiny bitterness on the back end.
Mouthfeel is quite good for the style, plenty of carbonation.
Overall much better than I expected. Tastes a lot like Schlitz only much lighter.
Date on bottom of the can Dec 0213.

3.23/5  rDev +37.4%

Looks and pours like an regular American lager. Taste is surprisingly smooth and malty. Lots of carbonation. I'm drinking this right now and I can't believe how good it tastes. Definately above average for the type. The best N/A I have come across so far.

3.2/5  rDev +36.2%

The only NA I've had before this was Sharps. Once. Never did the NA thing again until BA reviews encouraged me to try this. OM is bad. Really bad. Almost Beast.

Reason why to try besides BA reviews? When travelling to Pitt, on Friday late night, there is noplace to stop for ANY beer other than going to a bar and getting a 6 of Rock for $9!!! Package prices? No way. Next best thing, a 24 hour grocery store with a 6 of OM NA in the POP aisle for 3.39

How can I review this? Should I compare it to low-end beers, or compare it to pop? One of the previous reviews said this was acceptable compared to ginger ale when you are the dezzy driver. I've got to agree.

Average beer look, with average beer scent with average beer mouthfeel. That's what NA's are supposed to be. Fake beer.

Taste? Sweet, with plenty of grainy-adjunct flavors,and when finishing, resembles a beverage that I like to drink called BEER. I remember Sharps being sweet like OM NA but the difference was Sharps after a few sips, made me want to toss it out. OM scores on the drinkability category because I drank another and another and when really cold, tasted good enough to fool me. Of course, you have to like cheap beers like PBR and Busch and Falls City to appreciate it because it's like a cheapy, but when I go to Pitt late night, I'm going to get it again. Then on Sat I'm going to buy REAL BEER from a distributer.

3.05/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Served chilled from a can and poured into a Perfect Pint and let warm up to about 40º.

A=I was initially put off by the very light, pale straw color, but after a few minutes, it looked a bit darker. The white foam lasted around a minute...but it dissipated sporadically--in other words, there were small spots of foam left near the middle.

S=Surprisingly decent aroma--malt, bread, and honey smells.

T=The typical NA skunk flavor was there, along with a light bread flavor...perhaps a hint of clover?

M=Body was light and carbonation rather low...despite feeling flat, it was rather drinkable.

O=It has been years since I drank a lot of NA beers, and my recollection was that the German beers were far superior to the domestic offerings...still, I recall O'Doul's being undrinkable, and this is a bit superior...I still have half the 12-pack left, which will be reserved for snakebites and mixing with the On Tap additives to see if I can find a better flavor. I won't buy this one again.

3.03/5  rDev +28.9%

I tried ths beverage in the early 1990's when NA's hit the mainstream market in earnest and was impressed with it's authentic "beer flavor". It tasted the most like alcoholic beer among the offerings of the time (Sharp's, O'douls, Coors Cutter). I just found it again in the grocery store and thought I'd give it a try again. It was even better than I remember it. It has less of a mineral water mouthfeel now. It has a slight hop nose and corn sweetness with hints of malt. It still has a bit of that NA "weird" flavor, but not as bad as some B/M/C nonalcoholic brews.

Appearance: Medium golden color with a small white head, modest lacing, and moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Pleasant, slightly sweet malt aroma, with very little hop presence.

Taste: Slightly sweet malt characteristic, quite similar to unfermented wort, this being familiar as I have consumed wort samples after taking specific gravity tests at the start of fermentation. There is only a faint hop presence at the finish.

Mouth feel: Decent and relatively full, with mild carbonation, overall, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Not a bad choice wherever beer consumption is inappropriate, however, there are better non-alcoholic beers to be had. Might be a good choice if you want to drink beer while working outside on a hot summer day, but avoid the "buzz". It is certainly more refreshing than a soft drink.

2.98/5  rDev +26.8%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Pours a deep straw/light golden in color with a half inch of head. Brief retention given the large bubbles but does offer some regeneration if needed.

Smell is odd, mostly of condensed cooked vegetables and grains and with a metallic shallowness.

Fights its way back in the flavor department. Touch of cereal texture and with a light sweetness that isn't nearly as overpowering as some of the style. Feel and drinkability are good as well, more akin to a Bud Light than an N/A.

Aside from the smell, this brew drinks OK. Just leave it in the can.

2.93/5  rDev +24.7%

This beer had a far larger head than I was expecting, and it was a clear golden yellow color. It didn't have an especially strong aroma, but smelled a little sweet, not very hoppy. I really didn't think it had much of a taste, just a small hint of malt, otherwise it was like yellow carbonated water, for the most part. As for mouthfeel, it was alright, slightly carbonated, really felt fairly similar to water in my opinion. It's a very drinkable beer, it certainly goes down smoothly, but there are definetly better non-alcoholic beers out there. If you wanted to drink beer but had to drive somewhere, this might be a decent choice.

2.9/5  rDev +23.4%

Initially a nice light malt aroma that eventually takes on the slightly metalic quality of most NA's. Big full head. Clear light gold color of Am. Lager. Taste isn't a whole lot different than most for style. Has initial malt taste that quickly leaves for a waterery metalic flavor with a quick and rather sugary sweet flavor then a tinny finish for the whole mouth. Watery thin. Nothing exceptional or particularly better than the rest.

2.88/5  rDev +22.6%

I was D.D. tonight so I tried this NA.

It pours a clear, palest shade of yellow, with overly foamy, detergent-like head. Head lasts a surprisingly long time. It also laces the glass beautifuly. The scent at first was wet hay or grass, then rice. The problem here is it's nearly tasteless! That is, it doesn't offend, it's crisp but not "beery" no hops, no barley malt, perhaps just fermented Rice Krispies! No lingering aftertaste. Best point, you can drink all you can stand to drink!

2.8/5  rDev +19.1%

2.8/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a slightly pale, brilliantly clear yellow with a nice, frothy white head. Aroma was clear malt with some corn--pretty decent, actually. Flavor was not quite as clean; some corn there too but otherwise not bad. Body and mouthfeel were on the flat, lifeless side. Drinkability was quite good for the style.

One of the better, more drinkable N/A beers. This is the one I buy when I want to drink a bunch of them over a long period of time. As a bonus, it's pretty cheap.

2.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Again, another review of a non-alcoholic beer.

Pours a light golden color with a one-finger head into my glass. Seems normal.

Aroma is sweet and full of corn/grain. Not much to write home about so far.

Taste is light and smooth with a good amount of sweetness and graininess to it. Taste in the middle is surprisingly inoffensive and has a dab of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is grainy, sweet and the bitterness even sticks around a bit.

Not bad. Actually drinkable. Inoffensive. Kind of like Old Milwaukee, but with less alcohol.

2.53/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

As a whole no matter how close to a nonalcoholic beer resembles an alcoholic beer people are going to be hard on it when they rate it.

Appearance- Average looking for an N/A American Pilsner. It has a gold color and lots of fizz that comes to form an average one finger and some change white head.

Smell- Crisp but for the most part bland.

Taste- This tastes of cheap hops and mass produced adjunct flavor. On the other hand it does taste like beer. Cheap but close to real beer all the same.

Mouthfeel- Watery and a lot of fizz bite.

Drinkability- Alright when you are craving a beer but aren’t aloud to have alcohol.

2.53/5  rDev +7.7%

Old Milwaukee NA pours a very light straw color with a thick fluffy white head. Smells like vegetables and maybe rice, it's kind of musty smelling. Very light flavor, sparkling carbonation. A little sweet, a very watered down beer flavor. Some metallic flavors. Doesn't taste as heinous as I had imagined. If you can't drink beer, I guess this is a reasonable alternative.

2.5/5  rDev +6.4%

2.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head, very highly carbonated. Smell is mild, some corn and grains. Taste is very mild, some light hints of corn, a touch of grain, lacking in flavor. Feels light in the mouth and overall left me wanting a beer.

2.4/5  rDev +2.1%

My best friends girlfriend is pregnant, and she wanted a beer. So, I went to the store and bought a 12er of OM NA for about $8. I figured since I was buying, I would sample one.

A: Very clear yellow. Looks like a regular beer

S: Non-existent. I can smell pretty much only water, and the very faintest hint of malt

T: Water with, once again, a small hint of malt. This beer is kind of funny, though, it seems like the more I drink, the thirstier I become, and the more I salivate. I wonder why?

M: Like water

D: Very high. Since it tastes like water, its like drinking water, and water is always refreshing.

This is the only NA I've ever had. It's not bad, but I'll stick to regular beer

2.38/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured a very pale yellow with large white chunky head, that rapidly dissapeared.
Smell is sweet and notable for unfermented malt.
Taste is also typical of non-alcoholic beers, being very light and on the sweet side.
Exrtremely thin mouthfeel.
Drinkable, but there are better ones out there.

2.35/5  rDev 0%

This near beer pours a light golden colour, little head but has some serious glass cling,,the body is light/medium and the aroma is very crisp and clean..The taste is a little sweet but not over powering..
This NA is a nice alternative to gingerale on a night out with the keys in your pocket..

2.35/5  rDev 0%

This is not a bad example of non alcoholic beer. Although this brew is fairly typical of the American pale lager style, that is not to say that it does not look and taste any worse than the average of that style. As expected, this has a pale gold body with a white head that is minimal and quickly receding. Still, the lace effect from the residual is not bad. The aroma is mostly malt with only a small adjunct sense and the taste is of a sweet malt base. A bit thin and overly carbonated on feel. Limited drinkability due mainly to lack of any strong taste qualities.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »