Silver Thunder - Pabst Brewing Company

Silver ThunderSilver Thunder

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  ABV ?

Beer added by: IrishRedRock on 09-02-2002

to view more.
Ratings: 23 | Reviews: 10
Reviews by dvmin98:
3.01/5  rDev +32%

Serving type? Bottle... what else? The screw cap twists open with a crack (Fred Eckhardt - Listen to your beer). It pours a brilliant, crystal clear yellow-gold with a pillowy bright-white head that holds surprisingly well for the style and keeps a creamy collar throughout the glass. The nose expresses some sweetish malt and alcohol. Its full-body combines with the moderate carbonation to give a tingle on the tongue, but becomes more creamy and smooth as it warms. The flavor displays a solidly-sweet maltiness upfront, and then slowly dissolves into the finish leaving a drying bitterness and light alcohol throughout the tongue and throat. Clean, well-balanced for the style, and nice to look at.

3.24/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a clear 22 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smellsodf malts with some hints of corn. Taste is a bit malty, fairly mild for this beer style. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall this is not a bad choice as far as malt liquors go.

3.63/5  rDev +59.2%

Silver Thunder has a thick, white head and a golden, clear appearance. Carbonation is medium to high, and the aroma is stinging and semi-sweet, typical for malt liquor. The taste is pleasant, with a fruity aspect. This beer has character. Mouth-feel is moderately heavy. Silver Thunder finishes surprisingly crisp and refreshing. I'd recommend serving this from a can (as I did- 16 oz.), since the clear bottle may allow for spoilage. Also, I'd strongly recommend drinking this one ice cold. My first one wasn't particularly cold and wasn't as pleasing as the second frigid sampling.

RJT

1.28/5  rDev -43.9%

I awoke this morning sticky, drunk and broke and thought "I want a beer, real bad." That was the type of thinking that got me to buy a real bad beer. When will this self-flagellation end?!?

A recent post asked about the longest time I have spent with a beer and I plan to spend about as much time with this as I did with that 400 # call girl that I spent last night with. Dang, baby, if you are reading this, did you take my wallet?

My pour produced a finger of foamy white head that left like a thief in the night. You hearin' me, girlfriend? I gotta be more discerning on my dates anymore. Color was a pretty golden-yellow but I ain't coppin' to color as to the other matter. Let's just say that I tend to roll color blind and high yellow is so politically incorrect that I don't even use that term any more. She wins in the smell department as she was slathered in perfume and this was slathered in adjuncts. Phew! No taste comparisons, either, as I reserve taste tests for longtime companions, not fly-by-nighters. The beer tasted like gasoline. Filth! Rubbish! My friggin' tongue was burning and my brain began to cook off of the first sip. This ship has but one purpose in life - to get its consumer totally krunked. Hot, fusel, brutal. The finish was so dry that I could hear the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara. Wow, but I will not miss this when I consign it to a drain pour. Now, I feel like going into the alley to take a whiz. Anybody got a cardboard box in which I could live? Oh my! I thought that The CANQuest (TM) had taken me down some dark alleyways, but this was like film noir distilled into a bottle.

3.1/5  rDev +36%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

For a dirty forty, this really wasnt bad at all. My guess is that its ABV is low, which is why is was not so harsh. It did not have that rubbing alcohol taste to it as many others do, and was quite smooth going down. Not a problem to finish it off at all. Though still shitty beer, definitely one of the finest 40's I have had.

1.79/5  rDev -21.5%

Brewed by Pabst under the Stroh's label. Silver Thunder has some jibba jabba on the label about it being brewed with all natural ingredients for a classic smooth taste. While it's true that this is kinda smooth for a malt liquor, I found this to be an average one at best.

Silver Thunder pours a surprisingly nice light gold color with a nice white foam head that lasts about two minutes. It smells like your typical malt liquor: cheap grains, alcohol, and jet fuel. Fizzy and watery mouthfeel with the aforementioned slight smoothness. This stuff tastes like your average malt liquor, which in my opinion tastes pretty bad. Plastic and jet fuel come to mind, with a definite alcohol taste mixed with some grainy sweetness. I actually thought I detected some hops in the flavor, although miniscule. Finish is only slightly dry. The aftertaste has a lingering alcohol-induced dryness, and also leaves some alcoholic warmth.

This is probably a big hit with the underage crowd. I'm not sure of the ABV%, but I had a nice headache after this one. I'm no malt liquor connoisseur, but no matter how unlikable I found this to be, I'm sure that there's worse.

1.26/5  rDev -44.7%

Appearance: Looks like any old cheap 40 oz at first, cheap and efficient, as in gets you drunk enough.

Smell: That does not smell like any malt liquor i ever smelled. Colt 45 or St.Ides is like flowers compared to this.

Taste: OK, yah it taste pretty cheap but what's that OH GOD MY MOUTH

Mouthfeel: This was the worst aspect of it, there was hardly any carbonation yet it felt acidic.

Overall: If you have about 2 dollars to your name, and a mouth coated with steel, by all means.

1.46/5  rDev -36%

This particular 40 oz. was marked down to $1.29.
Not a bad color, faintly resembles urine, but a decent beer color.
It didnt smell terrible but it certainly wasnt pleasant. Smelled like cheap beer.
The taste just didnt sit well with me. Watered down, terrible after taste, I would never want to drink this again.
After drinking this that night, everything afterwards was a blur, mainly because drink half the bottle gave me a stomach ache.
I would only recommend this beer if you are terribly broke and need a drink or are a homeless drunk.

2.68/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is another one of the cheap malt liquors I bought on vacation in Memphis. First off, this beer has one of the cheesiest labels I've ever seen, it consists of a black cloud and a bolt of lighting with "Silver Thunder" in red lettering. The color is macro yellow with little head. Aroma is very strong of adjunct smell, one of the strongest smelling cheap beers I've had. However, the taste isn't too bad. Lightly sweet with distinct grain taste. This definently isn't as good as my favorite malt liquor, Steel Reserve, but this isn't too bad and easy to drink.

2.66/5  rDev +16.7%

Not too bad for a 40 oz, though definitely tastes like a cheap one. I'm down with anything Pabst, so at least this has that going for it. Color is reminiscent of urine, but tastes like some nice malt. Not the best 40, but it works well. At least it is cheaper than most.

to view more.