Olympia 95% Malt - Pabst Brewing Company

American Adjunct Lager |  4.78% ABV

Beer added by: MNJR on 03-18-2011

Reviews by emerge077:
3.38/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Jamming to Funkadelic's "Freak of the Week" at Millie's, Oly cans for cheap, why the hell not?

Can dated MAR 12 12 on the bottom, so it's in code.

Appears a light shade of gold, fizzy white foam that later ends up as a feeble skim, but the head does last longer than usual for an AAL. Rapid carb trails visible.

Smells grainy and dry, some vague apple, maybe from the yeast.
Tastes malty, mild white bread and apple flavors, crisp and fairly quenching. Light bodied, no discernible off flavors. Not bad for what it is really, a simple utilitarian lager. Simplicity is underrated these days, there's a time and a place for a beer like this. (644 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -56.6%

3.36/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz can poured into a pint.

Note, this is micategorized, its not malt liquor, its an AAL.

A- A crystal clear golden yellow, topped with a nice thick relatively dense 3 finger head that is slow do dissipate. Some lacing.

S- Benign nose, mostly sweet cereal malt. No yeasty funk.

T- Nice clean crisp cereal malt sweetness, with a tiny bitter kick at the end. To say there was a hop profile would be a lie though. There's something there though.

M- Very drinkable, well carbonated but a very light body.

O- Very drinkable. This is an improvement over the Oly of old that had a peculiar nutty flavor. Has decent taste and a light body. A quality sessionable lager with proper flavor and a body that doesn't feel too light, nor too heavy. (740 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -19.7%

1.25/5  rDev -63.9%

4.5/5  rDev +30.1%

3.56/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Oly from the 1960s era was a bit too hoppy for my young taste buds. Brewed in Tumwater, Wa. the catch phrase was "It's the Water" and this new can captures all the great label art with some flashier colors. This new version 95% malt is a very good AAL but not quite up to the 1960s version. That could be the haze of 50 years obscuring my vision and tastes. Suffice it to say that the 95% malt version is a big cut above most AALs. The latest versions of OLY do not display the 95% malt any longer and some say it is the same. I had a 24 ounce "Bigfoot" 24 oumce can recently and to me it did not taste special at all. So I guess I will take one for the team and review another Bigfoot can soon. I will soon have a definitive answer for you.
Edit: Still not sure it is the 95% malt but if you drink it ice cold from the can it tastes like the 1960s recipe. Brewed in Milwaukie, WI. (885 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a deep yellow - almost gold. Huge head on this and I needed two pours to get all 12ozs into a pint glass. Smells like most all other AALs - grassy and sweet.

First taste was a very pleasant surprise. Nice and malty with full body and a nice clean finish. No skunk, no beechwood flavor, none of the other adverse aspects of your typical AAL. I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit, and am looking forward to drinking the rest of the affordable 12 pack over the next couple days. (485 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

3.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Found at Winco, Salem. $7.58 a 12 pack.
Having read the two reviews i was intrested in trying this. I had Olympia a few years back and it was dreadful.
Here goes.
Appearance typical American lager..yellow,clear body small white head..big difference this time was the copious and thick lace.
Aroma, biscuity,papery malts,,with a hint of lemon zest..not offensive
Taste is were this is different from the original..much bigger malt profile,not too sweet though and leaves a noticable bitterness at the end..maybe even a kiss of hops .Way better.
Mouthfeel is also way better..much more substantial.
Overall an average lager really..but thats a huge inmprovment from the Oly i had 4 years ago.
Im guessing this is a reversion to an older recipe..way older.
Nice for the price. (773 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +2.3%

Another CAN from Chaz who deserves a nice return package from me for the gem that he shipped out! Someone recently inquired as to whether I am holding on to my spent CANs and the answer is generally "No" with some exceptions, especially those with cool graphics, like this one.

I have a distinct fondness for Oly, dating back to the mid-1980's when I was a young, (usually) broke punk sailor who loved to frequent Annie Newsome's El 'n' Gee Club in New London, CT. The best night was Oly Night, when CANs were on the cheap, the music was loud and I was having a rockin' good time. I know that it is no longer brewed in Tumwater (I spent a lot of time staring at the label back inna day), but the mere logo speaks volumes to me. I like that they are willing to tweak the recipe to bring something even slightly different to the table. Yeah, I could be a smartass about what CANstitutes the other 5%, but its Oly and it gets a pass from this aging rocker. Anybody know what became of Circe? Was that The Reducers that just took the stage?!?

A nice example of the Crack & Glug resulted in two-plus fingers of thick, rocky bone-white head that held in like a champ, finally falling into nothingness. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Dang, I wish that I had poured this into a schooner glass, as was the standard. I may have been hallucinating, but I could have sworn that I smelled Saaz hops on the nose. Hey, it's my story and I'm sticking with it. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was maltier than many AALs to which I have subjected myself, but it was not completely unadulterated, either. I got some cereal flavors in there, but still ... better than the standard. Finish was semi-dry, not sweet at all as that grain bill might suggest. The lacing was phenomenal for the style. I would put some in the cooler for both nostalgia purposes as well as the aesthetics of a cool looking CAN. (1,912 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -28.6%

This is a totally average beer in almost every way: which is to say, it's better than many macro lagers and some of it's liquor store neighbors but just as easy to swig.

I have to comment on the design. The can is awesome. Classic gold, black and pumpkin orange with a nice layout of river rapids, a giant horseshoe for luck and iconic northwestern evergeens in the back. One of the best can designs out there, which is what got my attention in the first place.

The color is surprisingly impressive, it's a nice bright amber orange with a big fluffy head that drops fast. It looks much better than its piss-colored competitors it shares a shelf with.

BTW, it was $7.99 for 12.

The smell is pretty blah. Slight sugary maltiness, but really it smells just like every other cheap beer Pabst owns, which is to say, it's like walking into an old barn full of hay. Cereal. Actually the scent gets slightly more malty as it warms (it's 95 degrees right now and I don't have the A/C on) but just barely. The scent has a hint of the heavy, sweet air that surrounds the AB brewery in my little town. But even half a mile away, the Bud plant exhaust is more interesting than this.

For all its great color there is not a lot of flavor here. It tastes just like it smells. It's very thin and watery, more than I expected from the flavor present. The sweetness lingers on the tongue. It's not as crisp as say Budweiser or Pabst, but I could chug 12 of these just as easily.

I'm glad to see a classic every-man's beer like this coming back; even though it's not exactly a standout, it's still something different for folks like me who can't afford to pay $6/six pack or $12/twelve pack. I could easily confuse this with Stag except Olympia's a bit thinner. It's like a cheaper, slightly watered-down Michelob; not bad at all and more interesting than most other Pabst productions. (1,871 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -7.2%

My brother likes good beer, but he also likes cheap stuff too (so do I from time to time) so when he came over last night, I went beer shopping, and picked this up for $6 for 12, 50 cents a can!

95% malt, I guess that leaves 5% rice?

Here goes, pours a bright yellow color with a very nice big white head, I see some lacing too. This actually looks good!

Aromas are about non existent. I smell maybe some sugars and minerals, but nothing else. Not bad though.

Taste is much like the nose, hard to find. Taste is pretty clean, some bready flavors, light spice, and a crisp mineral like finish.

Mouthfeel is not bad, fairly full, with good body, smooth too.

Overall, a pretty decent adjunct lager. It lacks aromas and a lot of flavor, but it's refreshing and thirst quenching. (780 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -20.2%

Bought from The Corkscrew in Norman
12oz can -> Marshall pint

A ~ Medium Pale gold. Nice head for an adjunct.

S ~ Wheat and sweet corn.

T ~ Fresh baked bread. Dead hop bite. Tastes similar to
Lionshead but not as sweet. i definitely taste metal at the end.

M ~ The mouthfeel actually isn't that bad. Pretty smooth, not too much graininess.

D ~ Definately drinkable, but i don't like this style. All in all it's executed well for what it is, though. (457 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I don't recall where I first heard about this one, but having enjoy the new Schlitz, I set about to find it. My first stop was Argonaut, and there I picked up a 12 pack for about 9 bucks. Poured a darker than expected golden color with a big white head. Aromas of malt and light hops. On the palate, similar to the regular version, but bigger, maltier and better. (363 characters)

Olympia 95% Malt from Pabst Brewing Company