Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

National Bohemian BeerNational Bohemian Beer

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003

3.41/5  rDev +15.2%

National Bohemian has a "basic" beer taste. When I want to just go back to the beginning, away from all IPA's, I go to National Bohemian (Natty Boh). It's a cheap beer that looks good and tastes just as a cheap "basic" beer should.

3.03/5  rDev +2.4%

The iconic Natty Boh is much like the city that loves it. On the surface, it appears cheap, low-class and full of disappointment. But take a chance and stay with this beer for a weekend. You will be pleasantly surprised. It is uncannily thirst quenching and refreshing while complementary of salty seafood like crabs or seasoned fish. Very drinkable without that awful "tin can" aftertaste so often associated with other cheap beers. And while water is the main ingredient, it is not a diluted libation.

1.72/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

One of my all-time least favorite beers, not sure why I'm even bothering to review it. Best to drink it in a can to avoid smelling any of it. Smells like it was deliberately skunked while canning. Hints of urine, field corn, rusty tap water. I'd happily take PBR over this swill. Somebody might have made a worse beer, so I'll save straight 1s for them, but I would probably go sober before having to drink this...or at least wait until I'm already drunk.

A beer I will happily consume at Camden Yards or when given to me for free by fellow Marylanders. It's not bad and it's not that good. (Better than PBR though.)

Reminds me of a more drinkable version of Pabst.

Tastes like a Pabst that sat in the hot sun for a couple of days. It is smoother, but the flavor is a bit more funky. I can't say I am really a fan, but it was worth a try!

Will not purchase or drink again.

2.9/5  rDev -2%

On tap at the Federal Taphouse in Harrisburg, PA. Sampled on June 29 , 2015.

I has to drink it since it is not in my area and is one of those classic American beers from simpler times.

Yellow with a quick head diminishing.

Corn grits, toasted bread, and clean grassy hopped nose.

Light and refreshing body.

Simple toasted sweetness and clean dry finish just as I would expect from a beer like this.

3.2/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: crystal clear; light gold in color; 1 finger moussy white head that receded to a thin collar; no lacing; a lot of bubbles rising;

S: corn and light malt;

T: light malt; mild bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; highly carbonated; moderately dry finish;

O: tastes better than it smells; in the world of adjunct lagers, this is a pretty good one;

4.58/5  rDev +54.7%

For all of the AAL`S Iv`e tried, I like this one the best! I`m not going to get technical in describing characteristics and so forth, no need to. I love how satisfying, and crisp and quenching this beer is! Nuff said!!!

1.86/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

As a college student, it's been a popular pick-up for parties and for Marylanders for years. Something good for the regular folk. If you're looking for a bud light or Coors alternative, then Boh is the way to Goh!

3.37/5  rDev +13.9%

This is a fine example of an American Adjunct Lager (AAL). Granted AAL is far from my go to style, near the bottom in fact, however measured against style, this is a VERY good beer. For those keeping an open mind and not having the expectations this is something it's not, this is certainly worth a try!

1.28/5  rDev -56.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

So I thought "why the hell not?" While at the Green Turtle in Annapolis. Ended up with a glass of fizzy yellow water that mayvor may not have contained corn byproduct at some point in time. Needless to say, this is a boring, bland beer that apparently has niche hipstrt appeal. Go figure.

3.88/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I got 4 cans from the generous RA. Thanks dude!

Best before March 2, 2015 on the bottom of the can.

It pours the crystal clearest of pale gold with what ends up being a fine broken layer of foam.

There's sweetish malt and grain in the smell with a hit of a bitter note or 2.

The taste is sweetish malt, corn/grain/ with a hint of a bitter note or 2. :^)

Almost at the US defined Session Beer at 4.6%, I'd take this over the few other AALs that linger in the stores around town that include BMC(old name of course) and non BMC.

2.5/5  rDev -15.5%

Actually fairly decent for what it is. theres a little hoppiness accompanying the normal macro corn flavors, but is not cloying. I cant drink much of it before Im sick of it, but that goes for pretty much every domestic lager. Better than most & a sixer takes me down memory lane every now & then

3.72/5  rDev +25.7%

Feeling generous with the rating but it deserves it. I hate the city of Baltimore and their Criminal football team but "oh boy what a beer." I love me a cheap light novelty beer, and I always drink natty bo from 16 oz pounder cans. Ratings are earned through finesse rather than impress. You get what you pay for for, excellent sip to sip value. No bs here this is a smooth beer that is refreshing on a hot day or after work. Goes great with some Maryland blue crab.

3.25/5  rDev +9.8%

Not a bad brew, when served cold it is quite refreshing.
I am arn IPA drinker, so to me its kinda bland, but quite refreshing when served cold on a hot summers day.

3.54/5  rDev +19.6%

Thanks 302BeerGuy (Kev)!

Appearance (3.5) : pours a pale straw color with a decent amount of head.

Aroma : (3.25) Nail polish remover, barley heads, grain, oily hop. Some faint fermented fruit notes as well.

Taste : (3.75) Super refreshing. The malted grain notes come out immediately and ends with a slightly hopped bite. The nail polish remover (alcohol) is in the taste somewhat, but much much less than the nose. After awhile I realize this tastes so much like Pabst but with less dirt/earth and more nail polish.

Mouthfeel (3) : Light bodied, carbonated, crisp.

Overall (3.54) : The label says it was made in WI. I think it's still Pabst made though? Anyways, this lager tastes paerrrrty good! It's a good pair for food and a night on the couch watching The Office. Love the one eyed guy on the label, and I wish they made it up here. Nice stuff! Back to the couch...

2.93/5  rDev -1%

Poured from the can into a Libbey style pilsner glass. Can good till Oct 2014.

A classic straw and bright brass yellow body, crystal clear with not too much pale quality. Head is bleach white and foamy. Manages to stick around for three fingers and leave a fairly soapy collar when settling to a simple thin puck. Not bad looking.

Nose is classic sweet corn adjunct, but not too horrific or faulty. Kind of thin, slightly papery a little, more like a light rice perhaps also. Not getting any chemical faults or off qualities either. Comes out fairly middle of the road on the aroma nothing much to get excited about.

Palate sort of hints at the light pappery quality, but give a bit of malt depth, but very fleeting. Moderate carbonation surprisingly, but some of that classic sweetness comes through. Finishes very thin but inoffensively without the classic seltzery big beer lager feel.

Overall if I want to drink a beer where I don't want to think or be disappointed, or horrified, this is pretty much it in a nutshell.

I've had a lot of adjunct lagers and pilsners and for its style Natty Boh isn't terrible. There's no complexity, but that's not what Pabst is aiming for. Good for baseball.

3.84/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

good old boh! so many great memories were made with this beer which may be the reason for my higher rating. I still say the best way to enjoy natty boh is poured into a plastic cup at an o's game on a mid summer night...although it will cost you $8. well worth it in my opinion!

3.12/5  rDev +5.4%

I only drink this beer from a long neck bottle. The cap has puzzle on it. There r 413 different puzzles. They r fun to solve and we do not let drink the beer until u solve the puzzle. I will have a few tonight with some Maryland steamed crabs. Oh what a beer!!!

3.5/5  rDev +18.2%

I like this beer. I like Baltimore. I like Camden Yards. I like to drink this beer when in Baltimore and maybe even at Camden Yards watching the Red Sox whoopin' some robin birds. Good beer, great logo. Ice cold, gimme gimme, yum yum. If not in Baltimore and I can find it wherever I live, I like to drink 'em and watch The Wire and perhaps listen to J. Roddy Walston & The Business.

3.04/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Call it sentimental but this is the beer of my people...

Born, raised, and educated in MD this offering was available everywhere during my salad years. Yeah, its an adjunct but perfect for a hot summer day, while eating crabs. Better when ice cold (don't let it warm... it will ruin your day). Sentimentality aside, a decent adjunct lager.

2.19/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

What else is to be said about good old natty boh. It's a baltimore delicacy hon (well not really since it's been bought out by Milwaukee brewing co) . Best served with crabs, or another natty boh. Considered a staple of the city, many people take pride in drinking this questionable beverage. Most likely brewed with corn, and leftover hops from the miller light batches, this beer is down-right bad. However, it has the best deal you can get. 30 packs for 14 bucks? oh yeahhhh.

3.28/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 5

Poor scores across the board, except for the "overall" category which I gave a 5. My reasoning has nothing to do with beer. The Ravens have won every playoff game (including the Super Bowl) in which I drank Natty Boh; therefore, overall, the beer is outstanding.

2.66/5  rDev -10.1%

Served on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings.

A: Looks like piss. Thin, yellow color.

S: Smells slightly malty, maybe a little skunky and sour.

T: Actually, this is not that bad at all. Clean, biscuity and malty. Not what I was expecting. Tastes crisp and refreshing.

M: Bubbly, soda like feel. Not unpleasant given the crispness of the taste.

O: Not half bad, can't say that I don't like it. As a Maryland resident, Natty Boh is a requirement. Watching sports and eating wings at BDubs certainly aided the drinking of this beer. If I were to sit down and drink this in a blind taste test I certainly would not be impressed. Nevertheless, there are beers for different atmospheres and this is great for Redskins & Wizards games. Better than BMC for sure.

National Bohemian Beer from Pabst Brewing Company