1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

National Bohemian BeerNational Bohemian Beer

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 316 | Reviews: 114 | Show All Ratings:
TheBlueWaffle

Maryland

If you have lived or even been to Baltimore in the last few decades you have heard of Natty Boh. Unfortunately it is not made here any more, but the tradition and pride of this beer lives on. No matter who you ask in Maryland, they will tell you that Boh is a go to choice for good times when wallets are tight or not.Cheap has nothing to do with the love for this beer, (although it helps), it is the tradition. Long live Natty Boh and the memories it has made!

This is Baltimore baby! Crabs and Boh, it doesn't get much better.

05-14-2013 03:29:33 | More by TheBlueWaffle
TexasRedskinFan

National Bohemian is what I think about when I think about Maryland. I lived in North Beach, MD for a while. I had never ever heard of this beer before (and never seen it anywhere else since). It is a very regional beer.
Basically this beer is no different than Pabst, Stroh's, Original Schlitz or any other light bodied American beer. It's really unremarkable. It's clean and crisp. You can drink 25 of them easy if they are cold. But this beer is so very regional and so hard to find anywhere else (or even anyone who has heard of it) that it goes with the occasion. This is a memory beer so to speak.

If you ever find yourself in Maryland, you must have this with a steamer. This beer goes perfectly with crabs. When I think about Maryland, I think about National Bohemian and Old Bay malt vinegar French fries....

Maryland, crabs, Redskins games and National Bohemian... Great times.

08-30-2013 02:47:35 | More by TexasRedskinFan
freemone233

4.47/5  rDev +56.3%

I love the Boh, plain and simple! Natty Boh, please don't go, I'll drive to and fro, so you can go, into my stomach below! A wonderful beverage from America's past that has surpassed potential extinction and emerged unscathed to "The Bright Side."

11-29-2011 01:08:54 | More by freemone233
DookDrinkyCrow

4.28/5  rDev +49.7%

"From the Land of Pleasant Living."

Natty Boh is one of my all time favorites.

True, it does taste "light", but after all that is on the can..."patiently aged to a smooth, light, superior taste.

light golden pour, sweet corn smell, crisp and smooth with noticeable carbonation

The best part about it; Affordable.
$5.99 for a 12 pack

07-06-2009 21:05:56 | More by DookDrinkyCrow
WMEugene

4.05/5  rDev +41.6%

Poured this Baltimore legend from a can into a regular pint glass. I'm a generation removed from Baltimore, so I can at least claim a little nostalgic place for Mr. Boh. By the way, this is graded to style.

A - Straw/blonde color. A little bubbly, but light head retention and thin-looking. Considering this is an adjunct lager, it looks like it should.

S - Yeast, a little sweet in the nose. A pleasant smell for this type of lager

T - Light malts, some adjunct (corn perhaps?). Very mild and pleasant flavors, though with just a tinge of bitterness in the finish (which is actually quite nice).

M - Thin-bodied and refreshing. Carbonation level is fine and a pleasant aftertaste.

O - For what it is, Natty Boh is one of my favorite cheap adjuncts. It's refreshing and doesn't have any off flavors to it. As long as you keep the style in mind, Natty Boh is definitely worth your time. Too bad I can't get it in VA (though MD is a short drive), but Natty Boh will be my go-to when I want a lawnmower beer.

10-02-2011 23:54:31 | More by WMEugene
baltimoreboozer

Maryland

A classic. A necessity for anyone visiting downtown Baltimore for the first time. Cannot beat Natty Boh when you are looking for a satisfying, cheap beer in Maryland. While it will not please those who strictly drink craft beers, I will take a Natty Boh over any other similar Macrolager any day of the week.

10-11-2011 01:08:11 | More by baltimoreboozer
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.9/5  rDev +36.4%

National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear, golden color. Aroma is what one expects from American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Also, it is highly carbonated. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance that is somewhat higher than others of its ilk. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. For fans of regular beer, this will be a real treat. I loved it. It is NOT sold in Louisiana.

RJT

07-24-2010 18:20:00 | More by RonaldTheriot
akorsak

3.88/5  rDev +35.7%

On-tap in the Charm City. Who am I to resist. At John Stevens Ltd. to be exact.

A: Pale and fizzy, it's nothing to get excited about. The lager is translucent, nearly clear.

S: The nose is nondescript, adjuncty and sweet. Enough corn-like aromas to keep me around.

T: For an adjunct lager, this one is pretty damned good. Smooth and mild tasting, corn and pale malts do a nice job. Hops are mild, as are most aspects of the beer. Despite the mildness, I'd belly up to another pint or two, especially on an overly warm winter day like today. The finish, like the rest of the beer, lacks a redeeming characteristic, but I'm not disappointed at all.

M: A sweet flavor lingers throughout. It's not craft but it'll do.

D: On tap. In Baltimore. What more do I need? Oh yeah, happy hour pricing. A nice way to end the Belgian Beer day.

02-19-2011 00:49:37 | More by akorsak
maxwellboh

3.85/5  rDev +34.6%

Eventhough my address says that I am south of the Mason Dixon line, I did grow up with Mr. Boh and his cohorts. Actually half of my immediate family was employed by the National Brewery so I awoke many of Christmas' and opened Mr. Boh memorabilia. Man if I knew what I know now. So for the review.
Just poured a 12 oz can into a pint glass, but drink from the can if you have the choice.
A: straw color with little to limited head retention, tight bubbles around rim of glass.
S: Cidery smell like all macro brews
T: Bitter but light feel in mouth
M: Carbonation, can feel the bubbles going down the throat
D: very easy to drink, good balance. Finished 12oz in 3 seconds one time, well many times!

02-26-2011 03:25:57 | More by maxwellboh
Bob_Rhoades

3.85/5  rDev +34.6%

This isn't the best beer for most places, but at a baseball game - especially at Camden Yards - this is THE beer to drink. It's a perfect "pale beer" and very refreshing with little to no aftertaste and really hits the spot on a hot afternoon. This is what the other yellow water beers should try to be.

03-01-2014 02:25:13 | More by Bob_Rhoades
BeerZack

3.81/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance, yeah it looks great in the can - no way am I pouring this into a glass! Smells very clean, a bit of hops and carbonic acid and maybe the slightest impression of malt, but it does smell a tad sugary. Starts off wanting to have a taste, then there is a bit of a hop bite in the middle before the (mostly clean) stinging carbonic finish. Doesn't sound too appetizing, but for the category it's a winner.

07-04-2013 05:05:35 | More by BeerZack
Dithyramb

3.8/5  rDev +32.9%

Presentation: 12 oz, chilled brown bottle. Mr. Boh is on the label, but it also gives some mention to the ingredients. No freshness dating. Although it says that it was first brewed in 1885, I’ve heard rumors that this is only a pale imitation of the original, that Pabst changed the recipe, and that the old recipe is now owned by Clipper City, one day to emerge from the ashes like a Phoenix… but I digress.

Appearance: A hard pour is needed to rustle up a head on the clear bright yellow brew. Reduces to a nice collar and spotty lacing.

Smell: Light sweet malts with the bottled version.

Taste: Mostly malts, with just a bit of grainy and hop bitterness flavors at the end. Still finishes a bit dry, but still with some lingering sweetness.

Drinkability: Medium bodied, smooth and quick.

Say it is August. It is 100+ degrees outside, sunny, and 100% humid. You've spent a big mass of money on a bushel of crabs, your family is coming over, and you need something to drink that won't overpower, but will still give them what they want. Yes, Mr. Moneybags, you could fill them up with Prima Pils, but the Old Bay will pimp slap the delicate hop oils without even trying. You go and get yourself an insanely cheap case or two of Natty Boh.

This is your perfect beer to enjoy whilst tailgating and/or eating bushels of crabs. I’ve seen a lot of negative reviews. However, most appear to come from the rancid can version and not from the fine, fresh bottled versions around. For the price ($3-4 a sixer retail and as low as $1.25 at some local bars) you can’t really beat it. This is my go to brew when stuck somewhere with nothing but macros or questionable taps, which happen to be too many of the bars in the area. I’ll try to throw this one in with the next few BIFs to get some non-regional love. Boh's day is coming. If people will give mad props to PBR, they will surely fall under Mr. Boh's mystique.

03-22-2005 19:28:34 | More by Dithyramb
SimplySinister

3.8/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - Typical of any US macro brew. Pale transparent yellow with a small quickly disapating 2 inch snow white head. Moderate carbonation. Barely any lacing whatsoever.

S - Practically non-existant. I smell a hint of hops, and some cereal.

T - Better than just about any other US Macro beer. It has a traditional taste with a little bit more bite. All I can say is that this beer has character.

M - Clean, crisp, and dry. Little to no aftertase.

D - Amazaing drinkablity. In fact, in a baltimore local pub setting, I don't think I would ever choose anything else.

I'll be honest, granting you, the reader, full disclosure. I wasn't going to do an ASTMD review of this beer. However, I changed my mind because I didn't want to appear to be too biased. Do you want me to be honest though? I am biased. With this beer, I loose my objectivity and I think back to experiences around fell's point, and the west side of Baltimore. This brew has history on its side, and regardless of where you stand, I'm in Mr. Bo's corner.

03-29-2010 19:57:31 | More by SimplySinister
thegodfather2701

3.74/5  rDev +30.8%

A-poured into a frozen pilsner glass-its straw yellow, a few shades darker than water with a fizzy white head that dissipates immediately

S-typical generic "beer" nose, kind of musty and malty

T-It is slightly sweet from the malt with a nice crisp finish, with just a hint of hops. It doesn't have that thick huskiness to it like PBR which causes it to have less taste but it seems more crisp and clean, which I enjoyed. For an AAL I thought this tasted good and was very refreshing.

M-Thin and watery but it has a nice carbonated crispness to it.

D-I could drink this all day, its crisp and clean and for the style its pretty good.

Overall, this is one of my favorite versions of the style, which is why I gave it a 4 in the overall category even though my ratings would suggest otherwise. Its not as good as Schlitz Gusto, but to me it is more enjoyable than most of the others in the category. Its also cheap, which is nice.

05-07-2013 11:58:03 | More by thegodfather2701
CuriousMonk

3.7/5  rDev +29.4%

Review #300. This Natty Boh beer is special to me as I usually have it before the Orioles baseball game where they sell tall cans cheap - ~$2 to $3. Good times. National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear golden appearance. Carbonation is high. Aroma is faint, but what one would expect from an American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance; hop character is a bit more pronounced than others in this style category. Mouth-feel is light and watery. Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer and I usually reserve it for pre-baseball tailgating in Baltimore. Natty-Boh, baby!

02-04-2011 15:23:50 | More by CuriousMonk
cdbooth219

3.65/5  rDev +27.6%

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A: Pours a pale straw yellow, with a large amount of white foam that dissipates quickly with no lacing

S: Some malt, corn, alcohol, and a kind of mineral smell

T: Malt and corn. No real hop presence. Good for a macro lager, but not an amazing beer

M: Very carbonated and light. Rather refreshing

D: This is very light, drinkable and refreshing. Its not the best tasting beer, but you can drink quite a few of these with no problems.

Overall, this is my favorite macro lager, probably cuz I grew up in Baltimore, and still live there, so its iconic of home. I prefer almost any craft offering over this, but as far as macros go, this is my go to beer.

04-07-2010 22:06:36 | More by cdbooth219
mmmbeer

3.63/5  rDev +26.9%

I heard someone talking about Natty Bo, and I wasn't sure what it was until my roommate brought some of this stuff back from Annapolis - apparently it's a big Maryland beer. The can is awesome - "From the Land of Pleasant Living" with a one-eyed face that resembles the Pringles guy. Served chilled in a pilsner glass, it pours a very light gold with few streams of carbonation and a 2 finger white head that leaves little lacing. Smells very clean with grains, a touch of fruits, hops (floral?), and a hint of metal. Taste delivers about the same with a medium/light tingly body. Overall, way better than other macro beers and just as drinkable, if not more so, for the same price.

06-18-2005 02:43:33 | More by mmmbeer
ITK4ever

3.6/5  rDev +25.9%

Oh, oh, Mr. Boh....

From the stank of the treatment plant in Dundalk, to the freshly manured fields in Hereford....from the cross-eyed beauties in Rising Sun, to the same in Arbutus. All aroun' Balmer, hon. Goin' to see the O's....looking for my Natty Boh's.

Crabs and Boh....the two biggest reasons to come to Balmer. Not that I'm biased, but this is the best macro out there. Clean, crisp, perfect compliment to Old Bay.

It's gotta be from a bottle though. Pours yellow, normal macro color, with a thin white head. Rice and corn on the nose. Don't let this beer get warm or you can actually smell the Dundalk treatment plant. Watery with loads of carbonation. Great lawmower quality.

A real thirstquencer that I always keep in stock. Sometimes it's hard to find bottles though because popularity among the masses has skyrocketed around here.

05-12-2006 15:56:43 | More by ITK4ever
demo3210

Maine

3.6/5  rDev +25.9%

First, my tastes. I typically enjoy a smooth yet strong and fairly hearty beer like a sam adams or a blue moon typically, but i will occasionally binge on some Coors Light or Budweiser.

Now to Mr. Boh.

Natty Boh...this is the best beer you can buy for the money, at least in Maryland (the land of pleasant living AKA chesapeake bay). A 24 pack will cost a little more than 12 dollars.

The color is a darker piss yellow color with fizz in it. No different than Coors Light or Bud Light. Nothing impressive here whatsoever.

The smell is actually kind of stinky to be honest. Just dont go around sniffin the beer all the time...people'll prolly think your strange at parties anyway.

Taste and mouthfeel...this is where natty boh shines for its price. It has a very smooth mouthfeel at first. Not too fizzy and not too mellow like miller lite. Very clean feel to it and smooth. The taste is clean and smooth with a little bit of a hoppy taste. Comparing it to Coors Light, it has more body to it and gives it heartier taste and feel.

Drinkability is extremely easy, but don't take that negatively. I drank 6 beers in a power hour fairly easily considering the amount. Its only because of its smoother character and lighter (not too light) characteristics.

Now, this isnt to say, those of you that enjoy the hearty beer and like to sip and enjoy A beer versus a few or more in a sitting should switch brands or anything. Natty Boh doesn't try too hard to impress, it just does. For those of you that drink a lot of macrobeers like Coors and Budweiser, deff gives this one a shot. I think you will be 'pleasant'ly surprised.

11-01-2007 22:42:31 | More by demo3210
bubseymour

3.55/5  rDev +24.1%

appearance - very clear and pale yellow with 1 finger head

smell - just like any other american macro adjunct

taste - fairly flavorless and easy to drink. That is what you want when go for this style of beer

mouthfeel - watery as expected

overall - I last had this beer 20 years ago in college (can). I really didn't like it then at all. I find it much easier to drink today. Owned by Papst but much better than a PBR.

01-19-2012 00:59:03 | More by bubseymour
musicjustintime

3.48/5  rDev +21.7%

I have to agree with palffyfan from Boston...'Tiz a malty beverage, and that's what I notice more than anything. Not a BAD thing, however, as it's a very drinkable brew...and smooth. Plus, I get sick of hearing about HOPS! They're decent...but what the hell??! That's not what beer is all about. Malt is another aspect, and Nat. Boh. seems to deliver in that category. Nice switch from the "hop craze" and I really don't mind this classic brew at all. Again, very SMOOTH and easy to drink. Decent flavor, light on the palette...or tongue, if you will....And pretty cool-looking old-fashioned design! (I DO think that's the Pringles dude! He must be moonlighting!) I recommend this, and at $11.79 for 24 of these...how could you beat it?! Although I've yet to try 'em with crabs as everyone recommends....It's pretty damn good just drinkin' by it's lonesome whilst sittin' here on the pc! Give 'em a try....especially if you like a more MALTY brew, with less of a hop character. You WON'T be disappointed, and your wallet won't hurt EITHER! Bottoms up my friends!

06-27-2006 19:09:34 | More by musicjustintime
facundoCNB

3.48/5  rDev +21.7%

a light yellow pour, clean with a finger of slowly dissipating bright white head. smells of pilsner malt, bready yeast, cereal. the taste is pretty light for an adjunct lager.. quite refreshing, bready flavor.. not much there.. not as sweet as most of the other watered down american piss lagers, but one of the better ones. light body, high carbonation, very refreshing.

one of the better shitty beers. on par with pbr, though not much of a surprise since they're made by the same brewer.

03-20-2013 22:40:23 | More by facundoCNB
Tbn2

3.4/5  rDev +18.9%

Consumed directly from bottle.

This beer is one of the better massed produced provided you don't have it from a can. If you get this beer in a bottle, I'm sure will be surprised by this beer.

It looks like any other massed produced lager. It smells like any other massed produced lager. The taste is what sets if apart. It has a sweet, earthy taste and that truly finishes clean. Exactly what you are looking for from a macro lager.

If you can get your hands on it and are looking for a beer to consume in the mass quantities, go for it.

Bottoms up...

06-01-2008 03:49:00 | More by Tbn2
7beerphil

3.38/5  rDev +18.2%

A: Foamy 2 inch head, quickly dispersed, faint lacing. Beer is golden yellow

S: Mainly corn, although a hint of the Baltimore inner harbor is detected.

T: You actually can taste the "Choice Hops" in this one. Also noted are corn and malt

M: Light carbonation, very thin brew

D: One of the most drinkable brews. Tied with Keystone Premium as my favorite party/spacer beer.

For what Natty Boh intends to be, you can't beat it. The price is great, about $9 for a case of cans, and the taste is not at all foul. Although I do prefer and recommend the slighlty more expensive bottles, the cans fit the bill just fine.

09-22-2008 16:55:41 | More by 7beerphil
cpolking

Iowa

3.38/5  rDev +18.2%

Pale light golden in color with a small head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is of very slight grain, a bit metallic, a tad of lager and some hop bitterness. It is very finely carbonated, giving a tickle on the tongue. The mouth-feel is creamy and light, without being watery. The taste has the same notes as the aroma (grain, slight apple/metal tartness, bit of lager and very slight hop bitterness), but I would say that the taste is better than the aroma. This is good, solid cheap beer. Is it the best cheap beer? Not at all. There are some with better aroma and flavor, but there are also many that are worse. In addition, I did really like the mouth-feel of this beer (at least for a cheap American adjunct lager).

11-25-2010 00:10:41 | More by cpolking