Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

National Bohemian BeerNational Bohemian Beer

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003

National Bohemian is what I think about when I think about Maryland. I lived in North Beach, MD for a while. I had never ever heard of this beer before (and never seen it anywhere else since). It is a very regional beer.
Basically this beer is no different than Pabst, Stroh's, Original Schlitz or any other light bodied American beer. It's really unremarkable. It's clean and crisp. You can drink 25 of them easy if they are cold. But this beer is so very regional and so hard to find anywhere else (or even anyone who has heard of it) that it goes with the occasion. This is a memory beer so to speak.

If you ever find yourself in Maryland, you must have this with a steamer. This beer goes perfectly with crabs. When I think about Maryland, I think about National Bohemian and Old Bay malt vinegar French fries....

Maryland, crabs, Redskins games and National Bohemian... Great times.

If you have lived or even been to Baltimore in the last few decades you have heard of Natty Boh. Unfortunately it is not made here any more, but the tradition and pride of this beer lives on. No matter who you ask in Maryland, they will tell you that Boh is a go to choice for good times when wallets are tight or not.Cheap has nothing to do with the love for this beer, (although it helps), it is the tradition. Long live Natty Boh and the memories it has made!

This is Baltimore baby! Crabs and Boh, it doesn't get much better.

4.58/5  rDev +54.7%

For all of the AAL`S Iv`e tried, I like this one the best! I`m not going to get technical in describing characteristics and so forth, no need to. I love how satisfying, and crisp and quenching this beer is! Nuff said!!!

4.47/5  rDev +51%

I love the Boh, plain and simple! Natty Boh, please don't go, I'll drive to and fro, so you can go, into my stomach below! A wonderful beverage from America's past that has surpassed potential extinction and emerged unscathed to "The Bright Side."

4.28/5  rDev +44.6%

"From the Land of Pleasant Living."

Natty Boh is one of my all time favorites.

True, it does taste "light", but after all that is on the can..."patiently aged to a smooth, light, superior taste.

light golden pour, sweet corn smell, crisp and smooth with noticeable carbonation

The best part about it; Affordable.
$5.99 for a 12 pack

4.04/5  rDev +36.5%

Poured this Baltimore legend from a can into a regular pint glass. I'm a generation removed from Baltimore, so I can at least claim a little nostalgic place for Mr. Boh. By the way, this is graded to style.

A - Straw/blonde color. A little bubbly, but light head retention and thin-looking. Considering this is an adjunct lager, it looks like it should.

S - Yeast, a little sweet in the nose. A pleasant smell for this type of lager

T - Light malts, some adjunct (corn perhaps?). Very mild and pleasant flavors, though with just a tinge of bitterness in the finish (which is actually quite nice).

M - Thin-bodied and refreshing. Carbonation level is fine and a pleasant aftertaste.

O - For what it is, Natty Boh is one of my favorite cheap adjuncts. It's refreshing and doesn't have any off flavors to it. As long as you keep the style in mind, Natty Boh is definitely worth your time. Too bad I can't get it in VA (though MD is a short drive), but Natty Boh will be my go-to when I want a lawnmower beer.

A classic. A necessity for anyone visiting downtown Baltimore for the first time. Cannot beat Natty Boh when you are looking for a satisfying, cheap beer in Maryland. While it will not please those who strictly drink craft beers, I will take a Natty Boh over any other similar Macrolager any day of the week.

3.9/5  rDev +31.8%

On-tap in the Charm City. Who am I to resist. At John Stevens Ltd. to be exact.

A: Pale and fizzy, it's nothing to get excited about. The lager is translucent, nearly clear.

S: The nose is nondescript, adjuncty and sweet. Enough corn-like aromas to keep me around.

T: For an adjunct lager, this one is pretty damned good. Smooth and mild tasting, corn and pale malts do a nice job. Hops are mild, as are most aspects of the beer. Despite the mildness, I'd belly up to another pint or two, especially on an overly warm winter day like today. The finish, like the rest of the beer, lacks a redeeming characteristic, but I'm not disappointed at all.

M: A sweet flavor lingers throughout. It's not craft but it'll do.

D: On tap. In Baltimore. What more do I need? Oh yeah, happy hour pricing. A nice way to end the Belgian Beer day.

3.88/5  rDev +31.1%

National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear, golden color. Aroma is what one expects from American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Also, it is highly carbonated. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance that is somewhat higher than others of its ilk. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. For fans of regular beer, this will be a real treat. I loved it. It is NOT sold in Louisiana.

3.88/5  rDev +31.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I got 4 cans from the generous RA. Thanks dude!

Best before March 2, 2015 on the bottom of the can.

It pours the crystal clearest of pale gold with what ends up being a fine broken layer of foam.

There's sweetish malt and grain in the smell with a hit of a bitter note or 2.

The taste is sweetish malt, corn/grain/ with a hint of a bitter note or 2. :^)

Almost at the US defined Session Beer at 4.6%, I'd take this over the few other AALs that linger in the stores around town that include BMC(old name of course) and non BMC.

3.84/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

good old boh! so many great memories were made with this beer which may be the reason for my higher rating. I still say the best way to enjoy natty boh is poured into a plastic cup at an o's game on a mid summer night...although it will cost you $8. well worth it in my opinion!

3.82/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance, yeah it looks great in the can - no way am I pouring this into a glass! Smells very clean, a bit of hops and carbonic acid and maybe the slightest impression of malt, but it does smell a tad sugary. Starts off wanting to have a taste, then there is a bit of a hop bite in the middle before the (mostly clean) stinging carbonic finish. Doesn't sound too appetizing, but for the category it's a winner.

3.8/5  rDev +28.4%

Eventhough my address says that I am south of the Mason Dixon line, I did grow up with Mr. Boh and his cohorts. Actually half of my immediate family was employed by the National Brewery so I awoke many of Christmas' and opened Mr. Boh memorabilia. Man if I knew what I know now. So for the review.
Just poured a 12 oz can into a pint glass, but drink from the can if you have the choice.
A: straw color with little to limited head retention, tight bubbles around rim of glass.
S: Cidery smell like all macro brews
T: Bitter but light feel in mouth
M: Carbonation, can feel the bubbles going down the throat
D: very easy to drink, good balance. Finished 12oz in 3 seconds one time, well many times!

3.8/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - Typical of any US macro brew. Pale transparent yellow with a small quickly disapating 2 inch snow white head. Moderate carbonation. Barely any lacing whatsoever.

S - Practically non-existant. I smell a hint of hops, and some cereal.

T - Better than just about any other US Macro beer. It has a traditional taste with a little bit more bite. All I can say is that this beer has character.

M - Clean, crisp, and dry. Little to no aftertase.

D - Amazaing drinkablity. In fact, in a baltimore local pub setting, I don't think I would ever choose anything else.

I'll be honest, granting you, the reader, full disclosure. I wasn't going to do an ASTMD review of this beer. However, I changed my mind because I didn't want to appear to be too biased. Do you want me to be honest though? I am biased. With this beer, I loose my objectivity and I think back to experiences around fell's point, and the west side of Baltimore. This brew has history on its side, and regardless of where you stand, I'm in Mr. Bo's corner.

3.78/5  rDev +27.7%

This isn't the best beer for most places, but at a baseball game - especially at Camden Yards - this is THE beer to drink. It's a perfect "pale beer" and very refreshing with little to no aftertaste and really hits the spot on a hot afternoon. This is what the other yellow water beers should try to be.

3.75/5  rDev +26.7%

Presentation: 12 oz, chilled brown bottle. Mr. Boh is on the label, but it also gives some mention to the ingredients. No freshness dating. Although it says that it was first brewed in 1885, I’ve heard rumors that this is only a pale imitation of the original, that Pabst changed the recipe, and that the old recipe is now owned by Clipper City, one day to emerge from the ashes like a Phoenix… but I digress.

Appearance: A hard pour is needed to rustle up a head on the clear bright yellow brew. Reduces to a nice collar and spotty lacing.

Smell: Light sweet malts with the bottled version.

Taste: Mostly malts, with just a bit of grainy and hop bitterness flavors at the end. Still finishes a bit dry, but still with some lingering sweetness.

Drinkability: Medium bodied, smooth and quick.

Say it is August. It is 100+ degrees outside, sunny, and 100% humid. You've spent a big mass of money on a bushel of crabs, your family is coming over, and you need something to drink that won't overpower, but will still give them what they want. Yes, Mr. Moneybags, you could fill them up with Prima Pils, but the Old Bay will pimp slap the delicate hop oils without even trying. You go and get yourself an insanely cheap case or two of Natty Boh.

This is your perfect beer to enjoy whilst tailgating and/or eating bushels of crabs. I’ve seen a lot of negative reviews. However, most appear to come from the rancid can version and not from the fine, fresh bottled versions around. For the price ($3-4 a sixer retail and as low as $1.25 at some local bars) you can’t really beat it. This is my go to brew when stuck somewhere with nothing but macros or questionable taps, which happen to be too many of the bars in the area. I’ll try to throw this one in with the next few BIFs to get some non-regional love. Boh's day is coming. If people will give mad props to PBR, they will surely fall under Mr. Boh's mystique.

3.72/5  rDev +25.7%

Feeling generous with the rating but it deserves it. I hate the city of Baltimore and their Criminal football team but "oh boy what a beer." I love me a cheap light novelty beer, and I always drink natty bo from 16 oz pounder cans. Ratings are earned through finesse rather than impress. You get what you pay for for, excellent sip to sip value. No bs here this is a smooth beer that is refreshing on a hot day or after work. Goes great with some Maryland blue crab.

3.69/5  rDev +24.7%

A-poured into a frozen pilsner glass-its straw yellow, a few shades darker than water with a fizzy white head that dissipates immediately

S-typical generic "beer" nose, kind of musty and malty

T-It is slightly sweet from the malt with a nice crisp finish, with just a hint of hops. It doesn't have that thick huskiness to it like PBR which causes it to have less taste but it seems more crisp and clean, which I enjoyed. For an AAL I thought this tasted good and was very refreshing.

M-Thin and watery but it has a nice carbonated crispness to it.

D-I could drink this all day, its crisp and clean and for the style its pretty good.

Overall, this is one of my favorite versions of the style, which is why I gave it a 4 in the overall category even though my ratings would suggest otherwise. Its not as good as Schlitz Gusto, but to me it is more enjoyable than most of the others in the category. Its also cheap, which is nice.

3.65/5  rDev +23.3%

Review #300. This Natty Boh beer is special to me as I usually have it before the Orioles baseball game where they sell tall cans cheap - ~$2 to $3. Good times. National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear golden appearance. Carbonation is high. Aroma is faint, but what one would expect from an American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance; hop character is a bit more pronounced than others in this style category. Mouth-feel is light and watery. Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer and I usually reserve it for pre-baseball tailgating in Baltimore. Natty-Boh, baby!

3.64/5  rDev +23%

I heard someone talking about Natty Bo, and I wasn't sure what it was until my roommate brought some of this stuff back from Annapolis - apparently it's a big Maryland beer. The can is awesome - "From the Land of Pleasant Living" with a one-eyed face that resembles the Pringles guy. Served chilled in a pilsner glass, it pours a very light gold with few streams of carbonation and a 2 finger white head that leaves little lacing. Smells very clean with grains, a touch of fruits, hops (floral?), and a hint of metal. Taste delivers about the same with a medium/light tingly body. Overall, way better than other macro beers and just as drinkable, if not more so, for the same price.

3.63/5  rDev +22.6%

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A: Pours a pale straw yellow, with a large amount of white foam that dissipates quickly with no lacing

S: Some malt, corn, alcohol, and a kind of mineral smell

T: Malt and corn. No real hop presence. Good for a macro lager, but not an amazing beer

M: Very carbonated and light. Rather refreshing

D: This is very light, drinkable and refreshing. Its not the best tasting beer, but you can drink quite a few of these with no problems.

Overall, this is my favorite macro lager, probably cuz I grew up in Baltimore, and still live there, so its iconic of home. I prefer almost any craft offering over this, but as far as macros go, this is my go to beer.

3.54/5  rDev +19.6%

Thanks 302BeerGuy (Kev)!

Appearance (3.5) : pours a pale straw color with a decent amount of head.

Aroma : (3.25) Nail polish remover, barley heads, grain, oily hop. Some faint fermented fruit notes as well.

Taste : (3.75) Super refreshing. The malted grain notes come out immediately and ends with a slightly hopped bite. The nail polish remover (alcohol) is in the taste somewhat, but much much less than the nose. After awhile I realize this tastes so much like Pabst but with less dirt/earth and more nail polish.

Mouthfeel (3) : Light bodied, carbonated, crisp.

Overall (3.54) : The label says it was made in WI. I think it's still Pabst made though? Anyways, this lager tastes paerrrrty good! It's a good pair for food and a night on the couch watching The Office. Love the one eyed guy on the label, and I wish they made it up here. Nice stuff! Back to the couch...

3.53/5  rDev +19.3%

Oh, oh, Mr. Boh....

From the stank of the treatment plant in Dundalk, to the freshly manured fields in Hereford....from the cross-eyed beauties in Rising Sun, to the same in Arbutus. All aroun' Balmer, hon. Goin' to see the O's....looking for my Natty Boh's.

Crabs and Boh....the two biggest reasons to come to Balmer. Not that I'm biased, but this is the best macro out there. Clean, crisp, perfect compliment to Old Bay.

It's gotta be from a bottle though. Pours yellow, normal macro color, with a thin white head. Rice and corn on the nose. Don't let this beer get warm or you can actually smell the Dundalk treatment plant. Watery with loads of carbonation. Great lawmower quality.

A real thirstquencer that I always keep in stock. Sometimes it's hard to find bottles though because popularity among the masses has skyrocketed around here.

3.5/5  rDev +18.2%

appearance - very clear and pale yellow with 1 finger head

smell - just like any other american macro adjunct

taste - fairly flavorless and easy to drink. That is what you want when go for this style of beer

mouthfeel - watery as expected

overall - I last had this beer 20 years ago in college (can). I really didn't like it then at all. I find it much easier to drink today. Owned by Papst but much better than a PBR.

3.5/5  rDev +18.2%

I like this beer. I like Baltimore. I like Camden Yards. I like to drink this beer when in Baltimore and maybe even at Camden Yards watching the Red Sox whoopin' some robin birds. Good beer, great logo. Ice cold, gimme gimme, yum yum. If not in Baltimore and I can find it wherever I live, I like to drink 'em and watch The Wire and perhaps listen to J. Roddy Walston & The Business.

National Bohemian Beer from Pabst Brewing Company