National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003

1.28/5  rDev -58%
look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

So I thought "why the hell not?" While at the Green Turtle in Annapolis. Ended up with a glass of fizzy yellow water that mayvor may not have contained corn byproduct at some point in time. Needless to say, this is a boring, bland beer that apparently has niche hipstrt appeal. Go figure. (289 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -47.5%

12oz bottle in a standard pint glass.

A- Poured a light, pale greenish-yellow color with a barely there white-colored head. It left a speck or two of lacing, I think. Lots of big club soda- like bubbles. Ugly.

S- I now know why it has a greenish tint. It sells of composting dried cut grass, at best.

T- Nearly no flavor. But, the little taste that I get is just an awful combination of sweet adjuncts and barely there malt.

M- It tastes so bad that the feel is meaningless. It's sour and sweet, with a lingering unpleasant medicinal aftertaste. All of those bubbles that I cited are not helping.

O- There's nothing good about this beer. But I hate to kill a beer so...I'll give a nod to it's name, which is catchy. The notion that this beer evokes Maryland pride is scary. (779 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -41%

Watered down piss color with a rocky white head. Metallic corn aroma. Corn taste, watery, glad this was freezing cold. Not exactly what I'd call a goo dbeer. Had it for the first time just last night, and I think it is quite safe to say that it will be the last time I ever have it again. (288 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -41%

A: Straw yellow and clear, with some white head that forms. Generally an underwhelming macro lager appearance.

S: Very faint adjunct malts; can't really detect anything else.

T: Faint adjunct malts... I detect corn, mostly, and an even fainter sweetness. Somewhat of a strange metallic hop taste afterwards. Beer-flavored seltzer water, anyone?

M: Very gassy and extremely watery. Leaves the palate wanting for something with more heft.

D: I was not impressed with this at all; it took quite a while just to guzzle down the first bottle. Then again, I'm not a big fan of any Pabst products. (597 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

As a college student, it's been a popular pick-up for parties and for Marylanders for years. Something good for the regular folk. If you're looking for a bud light or Coors alternative, then Boh is the way to Goh! (213 characters)

Reminds me of a more drinkable version of Pabst.

Tastes like a Pabst that sat in the hot sun for a couple of days. It is smoother, but the flavor is a bit more funky. I can't say I am really a fan, but it was worth a try!

Will not purchase or drink again. (257 characters)

I know there is a strong regional following for this beer, but, without the ballgame association, this stuff is pretty bland, approaching flavorless. Has the same fizzy, slightly sour thinness that one finds in light beers. Not much malt, no hops that I could find - about the only thing I can say about the beer is that it lacks the flavor to offend. (351 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -32.8%

Appearance - Straw yellow color with mild carbonation, similar to those of other macros.

Smell - Corn mostly. Pretty faint smell.

Taste - Metallic, really malty. Not really offensive, but will likely wear on you eventually. No bitterness or hops either. Slightly below average macro.

Drinkability - Beers maltiness would wear on me. Not much of a character to this beer so I would avoid this in the future. (415 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -32.1%

A DC favorite!

The beer is very clear and has is slightly straw colored. This beer looks like water more than any other I've had. The white foam head settles down quickly. Aroma is standard for the style; sweet malt and rice and not a hop to be found. Big corn flavors abound when I taste it. Light body and not too much carbonation. Surprisingly, there is little coating. What's there is sweet but not all that sticky. All in all, this is just another adjunct lager. It may have some local pride, the way Naragansett does here in New England, but outside of slumming it while drinking in DC there isn't much reason to seek this beer out. (639 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

What else is to be said about good old natty boh. It's a baltimore delicacy hon (well not really since it's been bought out by Milwaukee brewing co) . Best served with crabs, or another natty boh. Considered a staple of the city, many people take pride in drinking this questionable beverage. Most likely brewed with corn, and leftover hops from the miller light batches, this beer is down-right bad. However, it has the best deal you can get. 30 packs for 14 bucks? oh yeahhhh. (478 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -26.9%

"From the land of pleasant living."

I picked this one up while going through Rehoboth Beach and Ocean City because I have yet to see it in New Jersey (it seems more like a Maryland beer). While I found this to be watery, it surprisingly wasn't foul. Plus, there has to be some story behind the one-eyed Mr. Pringle look-alike on the can.

Natty Boh pours a very urine yellow color with a decent foamy white head that lasts for about 30 seconds. The smell isn't that strong, but there are some husky/grainy scents with a bit of soapy smell. The mouthfeel is thin and watery. At first there is a bit of light fruity sweetness, which then leads into a corny graininess throughout the beer. The bitterness is there but in low quantities. The flavor is watery, but the overall feeling of this beer is the surprising crispness and decent drinkability. There is little aftertaste, but some corn flavors are noticeable. This finishes out with no alcoholic warmth.

This is a cheap beer where you get what you pay for, nothing more; nothing less. There was nothing foul here and I wouldn't mind having this as a lawnmower beer. Sort of tastes like a "better" light beer (there's an oxymoron). (1,190 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -25.6%

This was probably one of the most disappointing beers I have ever drank. Trying to be unbiased, but the most noticeable taste was the aluminum in the can. Smell was sort of funky, has an ok middle taste but an aftertaste which is slightly light less enjouable follows. Felt a bit watery. Ok for one drink or 2, but not one I'd go out out of my way to get or drink. (364 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -23.9%

Still not a session beer. Beer is yellow and clear with a soft white head that disappears quickly but leaves lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. Looks OK.

Aroma is grainy and corny, like boiled corn.

Beer is thin and grainy. Almost no sweetness. The finish is boring as well. Its a grainy, watery beer with almost no flavor...I was expecting too much from Pabst in this case. (394 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -23%

A - Straw color, fizzy with a white head that disappears within milliseconds. No lacing. 2.0

S - Corn, adjunct malt and a slight metallic scent (most likely from the can). 2.0

T - Light, crisp, very drinkable as a session beer. Otherwise it's nearly tasteless. I wouldn't drink this unless I was planning to get very, very drunk. 2.5

M - Very carbonated and light. Almost to the point of turning your stomach if you drink it too fast. Seriously, they need to tone the carbonation on this beer down. 2.5

O - Really not impressed by this brew. I thought Pabst would try to put out something a notch above what they usually do...but instead they put out their own version of Coors Light. Watery, excessively carbonated and boring. Avoid this brew unless you're trying to get sh*tfaced. 2.5 (790 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -22%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5A: Clear straw yellow color. Creamy white head with average retention and some lacing.

3.0 S: Touch of sweet malt and not much else, but not bad.

2.0 T: Not horrendous, but bad nonetheless. There's a backbone of no taste with an unwanted corn sweetness.

2.5 M: Light body. Good carbonation, but not smooth at all.

2.0 D: Not the worst choice for a frat party, but far from the best. (416 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -20.3%

If you've ever been to Baltimore in the past 10 years, you've seen "Natty Boh" out at the bars. It is a seventies style American beer. It is made to be cheap. People only drink it in the city because of it's price and nostalgia. Everyone's parents in Baltimore ate steamed crabs and swigged down the old bay with some Natty Boh. And so the tradition continues. (360 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -19.7%

OK. For good or for bad I live here in Baltimore, so what the hell I feel as if I'm obligated to drink (eeewww) and review a natty boh. This beer is more or less an institution here in Baltimore, even though (according to the label) it's now brewed (squeezed, pissed, whatever....) by Heilman in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Guess the water, hops (do they use hops for natty boh?) are extra special up there in WB.

So.... despite a hard pour into my Belgium chalice (yeah, the guys at Max's are laughing their arses off), I get almost no head or lacing. The beer is a light gold color, and what can I say.... based on what I see, I'm not overly optimistic. On the nose... much to my surprise I actually get something and it's not all THAT bad. There is kind of a sweet corn aroma, which while not very pronounced or impressive, I can't say it's all that unpleasant. Hmmm..

On the palate, well of course this is not a good beer.... but it's ohhhh so much better then the crap put out by BMC. Not that this is such a high bar, but in all fairness this beer isn't nasty and isn't as bad as I was expecting. The beer has a light mouthfeel (big surprise), and is pretty easy to drink (assuming one doesn't mind the fact that it's rather boring to drink).

So... this crappy beer (let's not kid ourselves) sort of reminds me a bit of strohs, but with a somewhat cleaner flavor profile. Of course it's a terrible beer, but in the world of lousy macros, I have to say I've had much worse (pretty much everything made by BMC). This beer would make good snail bait, or for that matter probably wouldn't be bad in beer chile or beer bread. This is a lousy beer, but in all fairness is not nearly as lousy as I was expecting. In a blind taste test, I'm not sure but I wouldn't rate it higher then Yuengling lager. I know that's not saying a whole lot, but this truly isn't nearly as wretched a beer as I was expecting (though the longer it sits in the glass, the more tiring/boring it is to drink). Ho hum... I've had worse. (2,004 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -19.3%

Okay, a little background before we begin. First, this only recently started showing up in my corner of the Triangle. Anything new and cheap is almost certain to get reviewed quickly by me, especially in the summer mowing and weeding season. Second, I am not from Baltimore; what is up with the handlebarred corporate logo only having one eye? Is there a story behind this or is it just one of those beer mysteries we've learned to live with?

Anyhoo, yes, I am reviewing this beer. It is a thin, straw color with a tiny cap of head. Nose is malted corn and a touch of something too close to urine for my taste, particularly considering the color. Taste is lousy in a weak, inoffensive way. A touch of hops in the finish but the aftertaste is sour and astringent. Carbonation is probably the most aggressive aspect of this beer, which is usually not a good sign. I've had seltzers with more flavor and less bubbles.

All that said, this is comically easy to put down in quantity, which has its virtues. I will get this on occasion, although it is not up there with PBR and Schlitz, which are the outside beers of summer in my book. (1,132 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -18.7%

Served ice, ice cold. Warmed with time.

A - Pale straw yellow with a one finger head that dissipates in a minute. Carbonation bubbles intensely.

S - Fairly grainy. Metals, copper mostly. Not good.

T - Tastes mostly like water. A very slight metallic character. Strong grains in the aftertaste, corn possibly. Virtually no hop character. Nothing really offensive in the flavor.

M - Thin, stings the tounge, a little abrasive. Refreshing though.

D - Ah Boh! Goes does easily. One of my favorite cheap beers. Nothing washes down a bushel of crabs like Boh. (568 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

There's not much you can say about these "lawnmower beers". They go down great on a hot day, but leave much to be desired in the flavor category. This is typical of the name brand american lagers with a high percentage of adjuncts. For the money, though, on a cost per can basis, a much better value than the big labels. (320 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18%

Actually fairly decent for what it is. theres a little hoppiness accompanying the normal macro corn flavors, but is not cloying. I cant drink much of it before Im sick of it, but that goes for pretty much every domestic lager. Better than most & a sixer takes me down memory lane every now & then (299 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -17.7%

12oz aluminum can, 08216 / D50734 inkjetted on can bottom.

“From the Land of Pleasant Living”

Pale, faded straw. Bright white head that evaporates in a flash, but a vigorous pour is able to produce a tall head that lasts a bit at the expense of the carbonation. A few reluctant carbonation streams a visible. The aroma has just a touch of sweetness, corn maybe, and a distinct chemical edge. A bit of light corn/adjunct adds sweetness while these is a barely there hint of hops – as if the pellets were wafted over the boil. Some dusty grassiness is present as well, but this one is mainly faintly sweet and not much else. Light as air body, with some light carbonation initially, but the vigorous pour that generated a tall head managed to remove all remaining traces of carbonation. A little bit of warmth renders this barely drinkable. National Bohemian, aka Natty Boh, is a Balmer institution, but now brewed by G. Heileman in Milwaukee, WI. More cult classic than classic, it is simply unremarkable and there are definitely better beers in this category. But then again, none are the Boh.

This beer proved to be a suitable foil for the DFH Golden Shower.

As a side note, after the old National Brewery closed, a small corner of it eventually went on to house Brimstone Brewing, operated by Marc Tewey. (1,322 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -16.7%

Can provided amid a bunch of stuff given to me for volunteering at 2005 GABF. Uhm, thanks guys, I really appreciate the opportunity. The stamp on the can bottom reads 11285 C50668. Pours a fizzy white three finger head over a crystal clear light straw colored liquid. The head started out like a soda, but it's turned sticky and has left decent lacing on the inside of the glass. Smells very mild. Mostly I get a dark noble hop, something like spalt hops. There is a non-descript sweet way beneath and that's about it for the aromas. Tastes are out of balance. The primary flavor is a dark edgy hop. Greasy and dirty. Perhaps Tettnanger hops. The hop character is bolstered by an acrid from carbonation. Sweet is much too far below to contribute helpfully. Light body and heavily carbonated. I would describe this as the "IPA" of american macro lagers. Tough to put down. (871 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours out a pale straw yellow with a big foamy white head that quickly fades to a thin blanket on top of the lager. There is a small amount of lace around the glass.

The aroma is almost non-existent. There a faint aroma of cooked grains and not hint of any hop.

The taste is light with hints of grain, and grassy hop.

The body is almost lit water. super easy to drink.

Not much going on with the lager. I must admit is beats a majority of your mainstream adjunct lagers. There may be a lack of taste, but nothing about this beer is unpleasant. (550 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Enjoyed this beer out of a pint glass at Big Fish Grille in Crofton, Maryland. Our server talked me into it saying it was a Baltimore Legend.

A: Golden brew with a thin white head that quickly dissipates and leaves virtually no head.

S: Not much aroma here. Faint scent of grains and malt.

T: Tastes like Budweiser only a little bit better. Flavors of grain, malt, and mild hops.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation

O: Baltimore Legend? Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it – but it was only a step above on a Budweiser. (527 characters)

National Bohemian Beer from Pabst Brewing Company