1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

National Bohemian BeerNational Bohemian Beer

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 316 | Reviews: 114 | Show All Ratings:
NiceTaps

1.55/5  rDev -45.8%

12oz bottle in a standard pint glass.

A- Poured a light, pale greenish-yellow color with a barely there white-colored head. It left a speck or two of lacing, I think. Lots of big club soda- like bubbles. Ugly.

S- I now know why it has a greenish tint. It sells of composting dried cut grass, at best.

T- Nearly no flavor. But, the little taste that I get is just an awful combination of sweet adjuncts and barely there malt.

M- It tastes so bad that the feel is meaningless. It's sour and sweet, with a lingering unpleasant medicinal aftertaste. All of those bubbles that I cited are not helping.

O- There's nothing good about this beer. But I hate to kill a beer so...I'll give a nod to it's name, which is catchy. The notion that this beer evokes Maryland pride is scary.

03-28-2014 22:44:39 | More by NiceTaps
dbrauneis

3.03/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall creamy bright white head that slowly reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of lightly sweet corn adjuncts with just the faintest hints of grassy hops.

T: Upfront there is a moderate of slightly sweet corn adjunct malts with just a touch of light fruit sweetness as well (peach + apple). Very light hints of grassy hops which impart a barely perceptible bitterness. Overall, lightly sweet.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Lightly creamy.

O: Easy to drink and definitely sessionable - better than most of the other BMC products as it does not taste of preservatives.

09-10-2013 00:10:37 | More by dbrauneis
Beerwolf666

2.88/5  rDev +0.7%

Got any Natty Boh Hon?..Because I am from Maryland,and Have spent a lot of time in the Baltimore Area,National Bohemian,[or "Natty Boh"/Nasty Boh as the local B~Town Folks call it],was pretty much the GO~2 beer to buy when you were tapped out,super cheap and one could always scrape enough change from under the sofa,or car seat to buy a 6er of Natty Boh,and this is more or less still true,Natty Boh is still super cheap,but has not been brewed in Baltimore for a very long time,it used to be a very reginal beer,and not very well known outside of the Baltimore area,but now is Brewed by "Heilman Brewing Company" in Millwakee Wisconsin,I guess "Pabst" owns Heilman Brewery Company now [????] anyway,ole "One eyed Pete" was the name the local B~Town folks gave to the Natty Boh mascot,[the guy on the lable with one eye]~
I will be the first to admit that Natty Boh is not a Gr8 Beer,and Honestly not even a Good Beer..it tatse very watered down,with a rather Flat Carbonation and a weak head that is gone in under 30 seconds or so,taste grainy with pretty much no Hop taste @ all,in line with most cheaper Macro brewed beers..however,not a horrid beer,and it goes rather well with steamed craps,clams,shrimp & most seafood.
and while I have drank many,MANY Natty bohs in my time,I personally would not seek this beer out or recommend it to anyone..but on the other hand,if I am @ a crab feast and someone hands me an Ice Cold Natty Boh,I will not complain whatsoever~Natty Boh is pretty much like most cheaper mass produced macro brews,a Beer you really dont look for @ the local brew store,but really do not mind throwing back a few when it is presented to you @ cookouts,outdoor parties & such..not a gr8 beer whatsoever,but not so bad that you would refuse one either;)
Cheers!and Peace to all~

08-31-2013 15:32:24 | More by Beerwolf666
thegodfather2701

3.74/5  rDev +30.8%

A-poured into a frozen pilsner glass-its straw yellow, a few shades darker than water with a fizzy white head that dissipates immediately

S-typical generic "beer" nose, kind of musty and malty

T-It is slightly sweet from the malt with a nice crisp finish, with just a hint of hops. It doesn't have that thick huskiness to it like PBR which causes it to have less taste but it seems more crisp and clean, which I enjoyed. For an AAL I thought this tasted good and was very refreshing.

M-Thin and watery but it has a nice carbonated crispness to it.

D-I could drink this all day, its crisp and clean and for the style its pretty good.

Overall, this is one of my favorite versions of the style, which is why I gave it a 4 in the overall category even though my ratings would suggest otherwise. Its not as good as Schlitz Gusto, but to me it is more enjoyable than most of the others in the category. Its also cheap, which is nice.

05-07-2013 11:58:03 | More by thegodfather2701
Luigi

2.58/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours out a pale straw yellow with a big foamy white head that quickly fades to a thin blanket on top of the lager. There is a small amount of lace around the glass.

The aroma is almost non-existent. There a faint aroma of cooked grains and not hint of any hop.

The taste is light with hints of grain, and grassy hop.

The body is almost lit water. super easy to drink.

Not much going on with the lager. I must admit is beats a majority of your mainstream adjunct lagers. There may be a lack of taste, but nothing about this beer is unpleasant.

08-09-2012 06:25:16 | More by Luigi
daliandragon

2.48/5  rDev -13.3%

Okay, a little background before we begin. First, this only recently started showing up in my corner of the Triangle. Anything new and cheap is almost certain to get reviewed quickly by me, especially in the summer mowing and weeding season. Second, I am not from Baltimore; what is up with the handlebarred corporate logo only having one eye? Is there a story behind this or is it just one of those beer mysteries we've learned to live with?

Anyhoo, yes, I am reviewing this beer. It is a thin, straw color with a tiny cap of head. Nose is malted corn and a touch of something too close to urine for my taste, particularly considering the color. Taste is lousy in a weak, inoffensive way. A touch of hops in the finish but the aftertaste is sour and astringent. Carbonation is probably the most aggressive aspect of this beer, which is usually not a good sign. I've had seltzers with more flavor and less bubbles.

All that said, this is comically easy to put down in quantity, which has its virtues. I will get this on occasion, although it is not up there with PBR and Schlitz, which are the outside beers of summer in my book.

07-17-2012 02:37:23 | More by daliandragon
huxcrunner

2.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Taking into account that this is a cheap beer and knowing that, it should reviewed as such and compared to other lower mass produced beer. I didnt think that this beer had any great qualities for this self proclaimed category but when in Maryland you must drink what the locals drink, Its a pretty decent beer not the greatest but good for a good backyard party exactly how I had it so if you need a cheap beer and your perhaps from out-of-state could be a good change up from the usual

05-14-2012 00:50:54 | More by huxcrunner
bubseymour

3.55/5  rDev +24.1%

appearance - very clear and pale yellow with 1 finger head

smell - just like any other american macro adjunct

taste - fairly flavorless and easy to drink. That is what you want when go for this style of beer

mouthfeel - watery as expected

overall - I last had this beer 20 years ago in college (can). I really didn't like it then at all. I find it much easier to drink today. Owned by Papst but much better than a PBR.

01-19-2012 00:59:03 | More by bubseymour
Crossmd

3.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured 40 degree Fahrenheit into a Stella stemglass. No born date.

Pours a lucid straw color with a fizzy bright white head that falls out quickly. No lacing to speak of.

Smells of some corn and very faint hops.

Taste is really close to non-existent. Corn and a tough of hops.

Mouthfeel is a smooth, even, if highly effervescent spreading over the palate. Actually enjoyable.

Overall, tasteless but smooth. Very tolerable.

76.

01-08-2012 01:02:35 | More by Crossmd
LWG1970

Tried this when I visited my Sister in Baltimore.

Smells like Corn, Nice Pale Yellow color, more bitter than other Pabst brands, but a very drinkable beer. But not a remarkable Beer.

For the price of a six pack of bottles ($3.99) you can make a lot WORSE Choices.

03-13-2011 22:04:35 | More by LWG1970
JohnnyS17

3.2/5  rDev +11.9%

I live near Baltimore, so National Bohemian is a beer we take pride in. We call it Natty Boh and it goes great with crabs. You can even make a "Natty Bay", which is when you drink it out of the can and sprinkle old bay along the rim. Haha.

A - Pale with some carbonation. About a half inch of head that disappeared after the first sip. Light, clear yellow.

S - A sweet corn smell. It smells like Baltimore, haha.

T - Grainy and corny tasting. A slight bite of hop.

M - Very thin body. Carbonated.

D - Like I said, it goes great with crabs!

03-05-2011 22:39:54 | More by JohnnyS17
Dodt

3.3/5  rDev +15.4%

on my latest trip for beer decide to try my great grandpa Herbie's favorite natty bo
poured from the bottle into a pint glass
appearance straw yellow in color with a head that goes away quite quickly
smell a tad grainy with some sweet corn notes
taste a light in flavor

02-10-2011 00:15:42 | More by Dodt
patreely12

3.35/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I have to rep Baltimore, so I feel I may be a bit bias in this review.

A - watery, straw yellow. no head even after the most aggressive of pours. but in some way this is still strangely appealing.

S - a faint hint of corn, a bit of metallic. some would say it smells like Chesapeake bay sludge. I'd say it smells like home.

T/M - grains and a bit of malt. same metallic note as in the nose. I love it.

D - very drinkable, especially for the price. $3.99 for a sixer, you can't beat that. crack open one of these, sit back and watch the O's suck.

can't wait to try natty boh on tap this year.

02-09-2011 05:32:36 | More by patreely12
obrendano

3.3/5  rDev +15.4%

as a Baltimorean I feel a slight twinge of pain when I can't give this a full 5/5. if there was a category for history or emotional attachment to this product, I'd give it a 10 out of 5. even when I didn't drink, Natty Boh was a firm part of my life in Maryland, the history, the merch, the endless amount of tattoos, etc. you gotta live here to know. anyway, onto the brew

A - nothing special at all really, just a thin pale yellow indicative of an old American beer

S - not much of one to be found. the general smell of "beer" comes to mind before any specific attribute

T - this is where it picks up a little. very little character up front, but towards the middle you begin to pick up some grain, some alcohol, some hops, and at the end there is this warming spicy twang that I can't quite put my finger on. maybe a distinctive strain of yeast?

M - thin but well carbonated, goes down very easily.

D - very very easy to throw multiple cans or bottles back while eating crabs with Old Bay (how else can you possibly eat them?), with some east side pit beef, or watchin' dem Ravens, hon

I'm not sure about anywhere else that you can get it, but if you have a couple bucks you can get a decent amount of this stuff in Baltimore, like a sixer for $3. you have no excuse to not at least try it here

10-04-2010 13:53:34 | More by obrendano
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.9/5  rDev +36.4%

National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear, golden color. Aroma is what one expects from American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Also, it is highly carbonated. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance that is somewhat higher than others of its ilk. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. For fans of regular beer, this will be a real treat. I loved it. It is NOT sold in Louisiana.

RJT

07-24-2010 18:20:00 | More by RonaldTheriot
SimplySinister

3.8/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - Typical of any US macro brew. Pale transparent yellow with a small quickly disapating 2 inch snow white head. Moderate carbonation. Barely any lacing whatsoever.

S - Practically non-existant. I smell a hint of hops, and some cereal.

T - Better than just about any other US Macro beer. It has a traditional taste with a little bit more bite. All I can say is that this beer has character.

M - Clean, crisp, and dry. Little to no aftertase.

D - Amazaing drinkablity. In fact, in a baltimore local pub setting, I don't think I would ever choose anything else.

I'll be honest, granting you, the reader, full disclosure. I wasn't going to do an ASTMD review of this beer. However, I changed my mind because I didn't want to appear to be too biased. Do you want me to be honest though? I am biased. With this beer, I loose my objectivity and I think back to experiences around fell's point, and the west side of Baltimore. This brew has history on its side, and regardless of where you stand, I'm in Mr. Bo's corner.

03-29-2010 19:57:31 | More by SimplySinister
thekanna

1.8/5  rDev -37.1%

A: Straw yellow and clear, with some white head that forms. Generally an underwhelming macro lager appearance.

S: Very faint adjunct malts; can't really detect anything else.

T: Faint adjunct malts... I detect corn, mostly, and an even fainter sweetness. Somewhat of a strange metallic hop taste afterwards. Beer-flavored seltzer water, anyone?

M: Very gassy and extremely watery. Leaves the palate wanting for something with more heft.

D: I was not impressed with this at all; it took quite a while just to guzzle down the first bottle. Then again, I'm not a big fan of any Pabst products.

06-13-2009 21:14:18 | More by thekanna
dude

3.2/5  rDev +11.9%

2 for $5 outside Camden Yards. Thanks to Pickles for the special, thanks Mark for the tickets/company and thanks to the city of Baltimore for your apparent lack of an open container law. This lightly golden lager had a clean smell, a bit of grainy/grassiness but otherwise unremarkable. Taste was lightly (again) sweet with a generic cereal grain flavor, mixed with a little sulphur (yeast?). Mouthfeel is light, with a clean finish. Good drinkability due to venue, company and 80 degree temp. Good times.

06-01-2009 22:57:37 | More by dude
Tbn2

3.4/5  rDev +18.9%

Consumed directly from bottle.

This beer is one of the better massed produced provided you don't have it from a can. If you get this beer in a bottle, I'm sure will be surprised by this beer.

It looks like any other massed produced lager. It smells like any other massed produced lager. The taste is what sets if apart. It has a sweet, earthy taste and that truly finishes clean. Exactly what you are looking for from a macro lager.

If you can get your hands on it and are looking for a beer to consume in the mass quantities, go for it.

Bottoms up...

06-01-2008 03:49:00 | More by Tbn2
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

2.42/5  rDev -15.4%

OK. For good or for bad I live here in Baltimore, so what the hell I feel as if I'm obligated to drink (eeewww) and review a natty boh. This beer is more or less an institution here in Baltimore, even though (according to the label) it's now brewed (squeezed, pissed, whatever....) by Heilman in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Guess the water, hops (do they use hops for natty boh?) are extra special up there in WB.

So.... despite a hard pour into my Belgium chalice (yeah, the guys at Max's are laughing their arses off), I get almost no head or lacing. The beer is a light gold color, and what can I say.... based on what I see, I'm not overly optimistic. On the nose... much to my surprise I actually get something and it's not all THAT bad. There is kind of a sweet corn aroma, which while not very pronounced or impressive, I can't say it's all that unpleasant. Hmmm..

On the palate, well of course this is not a good beer.... but it's ohhhh so much better then the crap put out by BMC. Not that this is such a high bar, but in all fairness this beer isn't nasty and isn't as bad as I was expecting. The beer has a light mouthfeel (big surprise), and is pretty easy to drink (assuming one doesn't mind the fact that it's rather boring to drink).

So... this crappy beer (let's not kid ourselves) sort of reminds me a bit of strohs, but with a somewhat cleaner flavor profile. Of course it's a terrible beer, but in the world of lousy macros, I have to say I've had much worse (pretty much everything made by BMC). This beer would make good snail bait, or for that matter probably wouldn't be bad in beer chile or beer bread. This is a lousy beer, but in all fairness is not nearly as lousy as I was expecting. In a blind taste test, I'm not sure but I wouldn't rate it higher then Yuengling lager. I know that's not saying a whole lot, but this truly isn't nearly as wretched a beer as I was expecting (though the longer it sits in the glass, the more tiring/boring it is to drink). Ho hum... I've had worse.

02-24-2008 23:44:37 | More by johnmichaelsen
armock

A - Poured a golden yellow color with a white head that fades fast

S - Is of corny malt fairly typical

T - Follows the smell corny malt average for the style

M - A little watery with medium carbonation

D - For the style its an average beer not great but not bad this could be a session beer on a summer day while bbqing

02-19-2008 01:23:59 | More by armock
nrpellegrini

3.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottle poured to pint glass.

A: 1 finger white head, beer is yellow
S: corn, tap / dirty water
T: very watery, malty, corn
M: on every sip you seem to get a mouth full of non existing head, carbonated
D: very easy

First choice of beer to drink with Maryland Blue Crabs. Its not the greatest beer in the world but it goes down easy and is pretty good. Give it a try!

01-29-2008 07:26:59 | More by nrpellegrini
Phatz

2.63/5  rDev -8%

Appearance: Pours a typical corn yellow color with a withe head and moderate lacing.

Smell: Sweet malt, sugar and corn starch in the nose.

Taste: Starts off not as repulsive as I predicted. Sweet and malty with a corn and grass flavor. The grains are typical but the finish sees to have a bit of sulfur or something I can't quite put a finger on but it is not pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Despite the bad taste it does in fact have a very pleasant mouthfeel. It is a light body, well carbonated and dry. Smooth enough for an American Macro Lager.

Drinkability: If an American Macro Lager is what you are looking for this one is light and smooth and very cheap if you get over the finish & aftertaste then the soft sweet flavor is drinkable and makes for a suitable party beer.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

10-23-2006 06:50:56 | More by Phatz
lackenhauser

2.9/5  rDev +1.4%

Figured I should review this since its logo is my avatar so here is my 500th review. Rather pale golden color with a fair amount of carbonation. Very low aroma-nothing there really. Its not bad or anything just isnt there. Mild malt flavor with a trace of bitterness. Somewhat sweet in the finish. Average body for the usual macros out there. Fairly average overall. I love a good macro but think I would pass on this one. From what people tell me this and National Premium were quite the beers in their day.

07-30-2006 22:15:46 | More by lackenhauser
MLegendre

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev +16.4%

I recently have become intrigued with the infamous Natty Boh. After reading up on it's cult status in Maryland I decided I had to try it at least once. Or maybe I was just hypnotized by the Cycolps Pringles guy on the bottle. Whatever it was, I just had to have some, and thanks to lackenhauser, my wishes were granted...

A: Well it looks just how I thought it would, carbonated piss... though a bit more color then most macro's. Head was there for a second, then POOF! it's gone. A very miniscule amount of lacing.

S: I'm a bit surprised, this actually had a definitive smell... and it smelled kind of good! Very grainy and sweet.

T: Again, I'm surprised. I was expecting this to taste like every other macro in the world, but it actually has quite a bit of flavor. It dosn't have a whole lot of hops or anything like that, but it dosn't taste like water. My only complaint is the aftertaste which reminded me of nutrasweet. Though it's not the best tasting beer I've ever had, it's actually pretty good for what it is.

M: Nothing special, but not bad. Light and lots of carbonation.

D: Let's just say this. If this was available in my area, and I was in high school again... this would be my beer of choice. I'd much rather be drinking this as apposed to Mickey's or Beast. In fact, I could see myself drinking this now on occasion. Not bad.

07-27-2006 06:45:02 | More by MLegendre