National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003

4.47/5  rDev +57.4%

I love the Boh, plain and simple! Natty Boh, please don't go, I'll drive to and fro, so you can go, into my stomach below! A wonderful beverage from America's past that has surpassed potential extinction and emerged unscathed to "The Bright Side."

3.05/5  rDev +7.4%

Ahhh Natty Boh - my Hometown Hero.

Enjoyed this out of a pint glass at home in Baltimore, MD.

A: Golden with a thin white head that quickly clears.

S: Not much aroma here. Faint scent of grains and malt.

T: Corn, malt, and mild hops.

M: Medium carbonation, not too bad, not too good

O: Refreshing yet gritty, it's Baltimore in a can. Nuff said.

3.5/5  rDev +23.2%

2.75/5  rDev -3.2%

3.35/5  rDev +18%

Out of a can (this retro six-pack cost me only $3.50!) this beer was a clear golden color with one finger of white head. The retention of the head was not bad and it left scattered lacing. The aroma was of pilsner malt, corn and a hint of sweet malt. The flavors were very similar but very drinkable for a macro-beer. I tasted mostly pale malt and corn with a bit of lingering sugar that helped to ‘fill it out’. The body was medium, the carbonation appropriate and the mouthfeel good. Simple but solid. Upon reflection I concluded that this bargain beer had some real substance and better than almost all of its competition, in my opinion.

2.58/5  rDev -9.2%

Enjoyed this beer out of a pint glass at Big Fish Grille in Crofton, Maryland. Our server talked me into it saying it was a Baltimore Legend.

A: Golden brew with a thin white head that quickly dissipates and leaves virtually no head.

S: Not much aroma here. Faint scent of grains and malt.

T: Tastes like Budweiser only a little bit better. Flavors of grain, malt, and mild hops.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation

O: Baltimore Legend? Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it – but it was only a step above on a Budweiser.

A classic. A necessity for anyone visiting downtown Baltimore for the first time. Cannot beat Natty Boh when you are looking for a satisfying, cheap beer in Maryland. While it will not please those who strictly drink craft beers, I will take a Natty Boh over any other similar Macrolager any day of the week.

4.04/5  rDev +42.3%

Poured this Baltimore legend from a can into a regular pint glass. I'm a generation removed from Baltimore, so I can at least claim a little nostalgic place for Mr. Boh. By the way, this is graded to style.

A - Straw/blonde color. A little bubbly, but light head retention and thin-looking. Considering this is an adjunct lager, it looks like it should.

S - Yeast, a little sweet in the nose. A pleasant smell for this type of lager

T - Light malts, some adjunct (corn perhaps?). Very mild and pleasant flavors, though with just a tinge of bitterness in the finish (which is actually quite nice).

M - Thin-bodied and refreshing. Carbonation level is fine and a pleasant aftertaste.

O - For what it is, Natty Boh is one of my favorite cheap adjuncts. It's refreshing and doesn't have any off flavors to it. As long as you keep the style in mind, Natty Boh is definitely worth your time. Too bad I can't get it in VA (though MD is a short drive), but Natty Boh will be my go-to when I want a lawnmower beer.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Every big city has one; their own cheap, plentiful, shamelessly promoted cheap beer. Baltimore has Natty Boh. As cheap beers go, this is one of the better ones out there. A nice crispness to the beer and some actual hops detected while you drink it, you can pick up 24 of these bad boys for $12-13. While it isn't special by any means, it isn't meant to be... it's a beer to drink on a hot night or to take advantage of the $1 special at the bar, and its delicious and refreshing. No frills, but above average for it's style.

2.83/5  rDev -0.4%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: golden clear yellow with a 1 finger white head

smell: lager yeast, corn, malts

taste: corn, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin body,

overall: lawnmower beer. hey some people enjoy this beer on the beach.

Cheers,
The CPJ

2.82/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured a really light golden yellow - about a one finger head that fell really fast. Smells grainy, getting a wiff of something a bit sour. Taste follows the nose with the addition of a corn-like flavor and some bitter bits from the hops. Feels super light - not a whole lot of carbonation. My dad snagged some of this on his last trip and gave me a few - I feel like I'm drinking a half step up from budweiser - a beer that, if it was in my area, I would buy on those nights where I just feel like getting faced with my friends.

Enjoy

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a light, gold/straw color with a small fizzy head that is gone rather quickly. No real lacing either.

S: Not a ton going on, some sweet adjunct and light grain. Nothing off-putting though.

T: Not bad at all, for an adjunct at least. Some corn and light grainy malt, but again rather mild.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation.

M: A sweet flavor lingers throughout. It's not craft but it'll do.

O: For the style, really not bad at all. Easy drinking and refreshing. A good substitute for the watery light lagers out there.

3.07/5  rDev +8.1%

12oz can poured into a Pint Glass. As a true son of Maryland, I have very fond memories of nights spent in Fells Point drinking this beer. Haven't had this since I broke into Craft Beer, so I'm looking forward to the memories.

A - Pours just the lightest clear gold with a thin white head that dissipates quickly, leaving nothing but a steady stream of carbonation bubbles.
S - Crisp, sweet malt, corn, and some slightly earthy hops. A bit better then your average Adjunct, but an Adjunct nonetheless.
T - Spot-on with the nose : crisp malt, sweet corn, and a touch of bitter hops. Nice and simple.
M - Thin-bodied with sharp carbonation.
O - Easily one of the better Adjuncts on the shelf, and the memories I have associated with this beer are unquantifiable. I'll always pick up a case or two when I'm visiting home.

2.81/5  rDev -1.1%

A- Pours with a big head that falls into a nice rocky one finger layer with some lacing. Almost no carbonation bubbles coming through but other than that looks like most adjunct lagers with just a shade darker coloring.

S- Corn sweetness and a bit of metallic off aroma, I want to like it but I can't.

T- Certainly better than the smell with no metallic off taste and only a small amount of corn. Definitely some sweetness and no hops to balance it, but not the worst.

M- Less thin and watery and also with lighter carbonation than most in the style. This one feels a bit more like a beer than the tonic water.

D- Not a very good beer. If you're in Baltimore you might be obligated to have one, outside of that it's not much better than your standard lager past the looks and mouthfeel.

2.85/5  rDev +0.4%

appearance: pours a clear yellow, well-carbonated, bubbly white foam, moderate lacing.

smell: corn predominant, yet a faint yet crisp bitterness is noticable.

taste: watered down, taste of corn, light sweetness present with the crisp/bitter finish.

drinkability: it's a hometown favorite, cheap, drinkable, and not that discernable from other more pricey beers of the same adjunct style.

3.1/5  rDev +9.2%

I love Natty Boh. I drank a TON of this during my 7 years living in Baltimore. My local corner bar had it on tap for $1 a pint---always. Ice cold with a plate of steamed shrimp or a crab pick. Goes well. Its a simple adjunct lager---crisp with a touch of bitterness. Drinks easy. Oh, did I mention it's cheap? Whenever Im back in town, I always stop for a case or two to bring home. In all honesty, its no better or worse than the higher priced adjuncts like Coors or Bud. Only cheap beers I prefer would be Miller High Life or Yuengling Lager.

National Bohemian Beer from Pabst Brewing Company