National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

National Bohemian BeerNational Bohemian Beer

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003)
2.88/5  rDev +1.1%

appearance: pours a clear yellow, well-carbonated, bubbly white foam, moderate lacing.

smell: corn predominant, yet a faint yet crisp bitterness is noticable.

taste: watered down, taste of corn, light sweetness present with the crisp/bitter finish.

drinkability: it's a hometown favorite, cheap, drinkable, and not that discernable from other more pricey beers of the same adjunct style.

weller1js, May 26, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +8.8%

I love Natty Boh. I drank a TON of this during my 7 years living in Baltimore. My local corner bar had it on tap for $1 a pint---always. Ice cold with a plate of steamed shrimp or a crab pick. Goes well. Its a simple adjunct lager---crisp with a touch of bitterness. Drinks easy. Oh, did I mention it's cheap? Whenever Im back in town, I always stop for a case or two to bring home. In all honesty, its no better or worse than the higher priced adjuncts like Coors or Bud. Only cheap beers I prefer would be Miller High Life or Yuengling Lager.

DJED69, Apr 28, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +15.8%

Had this on tap while I was out in Baltimore.

A- Pours a pale straw yellow just a shade darker than most BMC products. One finger white head shows poor retention. Spotty lacing at best on the sides of the glass.

S- There is a cider like aroma in the front mixed with grain. Corn aroma does come from the middle on. Light bittering hop in the back but I mean it is light. A tad bit better smelling than most adjunct lagers.

T- This beer like many adjunct lagers starts of with a grainy cooked veggies flavor. It is a little more defined I think than a lot of other offerings. A hint of metallic off flavor which seems to be another quality of this category. Light pale malt defines the base of the beer. Light alcohol on the ending along with a crisp hop bite to it.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high for the beer but average for the style. Cooked veggies and hints of pale malt are left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly corn like flavor, hint of alcohol and bitter hops, and light metallic undertones. Flavor was blended to the style and I can't knock it because of that. Only off flavor is the light metallic hint throughout the entire beer. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

O- Overall this beer was average at best with nothing that makes it better than most adjuncts in my opinion. It was a good and well made for what it was suppose to be. The lower ABV makes it easy to have many pints of this. If this were around where I lived I would have this after mowing the lawn in the hot sun easy.

alleykatking, Mar 17, 2011

Tried this when I visited my Sister in Baltimore.

Smells like Corn, Nice Pale Yellow color, more bitter than other Pabst brands, but a very drinkable beer. But not a remarkable Beer.

For the price of a six pack of bottles ($3.99) you can make a lot WORSE Choices.

LWG1970, Mar 13, 2011
3.05/5  rDev +7%

Appearance - super clear pale and yellow, looks like discolored water. Builds a frothy head that soon vanishes.

Smell - mostly nothing, small hints of corn and hops. But much better then other beers in this price category.

Taste - a weak flavor of corn that soon fizzles into water, but still very refreshing. You can tell at some point in time it was a quality beer.

Mouthfeel - Not heavy carbonation, refreshing. Smooth on the tongue, a lil bite on the swallow. Over all not bad.

Drinkability - Im from Baltimore, we are apparently the only people that love this as much. We put this stuff down like there's no tomorrow. By far my favorite crap beer. A step up from your traditional light beers for similar price, except boh is not a light beer.

Criscoh88, Mar 10, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +12.3%

I live near Baltimore, so National Bohemian is a beer we take pride in. We call it Natty Boh and it goes great with crabs. You can even make a "Natty Bay", which is when you drink it out of the can and sprinkle old bay along the rim. Haha.

A - Pale with some carbonation. About a half inch of head that disappeared after the first sip. Light, clear yellow.

S - A sweet corn smell. It smells like Baltimore, haha.

T - Grainy and corny tasting. A slight bite of hop.

M - Very thin body. Carbonated.

D - Like I said, it goes great with crabs!

JohnnyS17, Mar 05, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +35.1%

Eventhough my address says that I am south of the Mason Dixon line, I did grow up with Mr. Boh and his cohorts. Actually half of my immediate family was employed by the National Brewery so I awoke many of Christmas' and opened Mr. Boh memorabilia. Man if I knew what I know now. So for the review.
Just poured a 12 oz can into a pint glass, but drink from the can if you have the choice.
A: straw color with little to limited head retention, tight bubbles around rim of glass.
S: Cidery smell like all macro brews
T: Bitter but light feel in mouth
M: Carbonation, can feel the bubbles going down the throat
D: very easy to drink, good balance. Finished 12oz in 3 seconds one time, well many times!

maxwellboh, Feb 26, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +36.1%

On-tap in the Charm City. Who am I to resist. At John Stevens Ltd. to be exact.

A: Pale and fizzy, it's nothing to get excited about. The lager is translucent, nearly clear.

S: The nose is nondescript, adjuncty and sweet. Enough corn-like aromas to keep me around.

T: For an adjunct lager, this one is pretty damned good. Smooth and mild tasting, corn and pale malts do a nice job. Hops are mild, as are most aspects of the beer. Despite the mildness, I'd belly up to another pint or two, especially on an overly warm winter day like today. The finish, like the rest of the beer, lacks a redeeming characteristic, but I'm not disappointed at all.

M: A sweet flavor lingers throughout. It's not craft but it'll do.

D: On tap. In Baltimore. What more do I need? Oh yeah, happy hour pricing. A nice way to end the Belgian Beer day.

akorsak, Feb 19, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +15.8%

on my latest trip for beer decide to try my great grandpa Herbie's favorite natty bo
poured from the bottle into a pint glass
appearance straw yellow in color with a head that goes away quite quickly
smell a tad grainy with some sweet corn notes
taste a light in flavor

Dodt, Feb 10, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I have to rep Baltimore, so I feel I may be a bit bias in this review.

A - watery, straw yellow. no head even after the most aggressive of pours. but in some way this is still strangely appealing.

S - a faint hint of corn, a bit of metallic. some would say it smells like Chesapeake bay sludge. I'd say it smells like home.

T/M - grains and a bit of malt. same metallic note as in the nose. I love it.

D - very drinkable, especially for the price. $3.99 for a sixer, you can't beat that. crack open one of these, sit back and watch the O's suck.

can't wait to try natty boh on tap this year.

patreely12, Feb 09, 2011
2.85/5  rDev 0%

Had it on tap for my first time last night at Nacho Mama's in Canton, Baltimore. Its back in kegs after 15 years! I don't consider it a great beer or anything, but if you live here in Bmore chances are you like and or have some sort of affection for it. I hated it when I was young and I would always spend the money to try new craft brews, but after years of overlooking it I came back and now its an easy go-to beer.

A. Thinly yellow looking with a surprisingly creamy head that held up for quite some time.

S. To me it had this intriguing really faint almost vanilla note that I found interesting and had never noticed pouring it from a bottle.

T. Same old beer of the working man taste...faint grain, corn, and basically one-note at best. You can just tell that no money was really spent making it.

M. Thin and watery

D. Easy to drink and perfect for crab feasts or long days at the beach where a bigger beer (basically any other) may do you in.

MrWinky, Feb 04, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +29.8%

Review #300. This Natty Boh beer is special to me as I usually have it before the Orioles baseball game where they sell tall cans cheap - ~$2 to $3. Good times. National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear golden appearance. Carbonation is high. Aroma is faint, but what one would expect from an American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance; hop character is a bit more pronounced than others in this style category. Mouth-feel is light and watery. Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer and I usually reserve it for pre-baseball tailgating in Baltimore. Natty-Boh, baby!

CuriousMonk, Feb 04, 2011
3.05/5  rDev +7%

A: pale straw into a golden pheasant pilsner glass with a finger of white head the dissipates quickly and leaves spotted lacing.

S: faint wheat and corn and that's about it.

T: a lot of corn and grainy. A little hop character but not anything to noticeable.

MF: crisp and refreshing, light bodied. Not a lot going on.

D: I'd love to give this a worse review but it is up to adjunct lager standards and it has a lot of eastern MD nostalgia. Its my beer of choice when playing beer pong and such but I won't be buying it to sip on or pair with a meal.

nickthetick, Jan 18, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -19.3%

Still not a session beer. Beer is yellow and clear with a soft white head that disappears quickly but leaves lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. Looks OK.

Aroma is grainy and corny, like boiled corn.

Beer is thin and grainy. Almost no sweetness. The finish is boring as well. Its a grainy, watery beer with almost no flavor...I was expecting too much from Pabst in this case.

drabmuh, Dec 07, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +18.6%

Pale light golden in color with a small head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is of very slight grain, a bit metallic, a tad of lager and some hop bitterness. It is very finely carbonated, giving a tickle on the tongue. The mouth-feel is creamy and light, without being watery. The taste has the same notes as the aroma (grain, slight apple/metal tartness, bit of lager and very slight hop bitterness), but I would say that the taste is better than the aroma. This is good, solid cheap beer. Is it the best cheap beer? Not at all. There are some with better aroma and flavor, but there are also many that are worse. In addition, I did really like the mouth-feel of this beer (at least for a cheap American adjunct lager).

cpolking, Nov 25, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -0.7%

Living in Maryland, near the land of pleasant living...I have an unusual fondness for ol' Natty Boh. By no means do I think that this is a good beer, but I certainly prefer it to the standard BMC's that you will get at the ballpark.

Appearance: Pours a watery golden color into a clear yellow body. A foamy misleading head quickly dissipates into nothing.

Smell: Sweet malt taste with some wheat. Faint aroma overall.

Taste: Taste of corn and sweet malt. Much less offensive if you are enjoying one while watching the game. Any more attention to the flavor profile reveals a tangy hard to place taste. I wouldn't call it metallic, but there is something there if you are looking for it.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body with average carbonation.

Drinkability: I rated the drinkability unusually high due to the nostalgia that Natty Boh brings. This is by no means a craft beer, but still enjoyable after mowing the lawn or when watching the game. If nothing else, its a good alternative to a BMC when available.

tehawful, Nov 02, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +15.8%

as a Baltimorean I feel a slight twinge of pain when I can't give this a full 5/5. if there was a category for history or emotional attachment to this product, I'd give it a 10 out of 5. even when I didn't drink, Natty Boh was a firm part of my life in Maryland, the history, the merch, the endless amount of tattoos, etc. you gotta live here to know. anyway, onto the brew

A - nothing special at all really, just a thin pale yellow indicative of an old American beer

S - not much of one to be found. the general smell of "beer" comes to mind before any specific attribute

T - this is where it picks up a little. very little character up front, but towards the middle you begin to pick up some grain, some alcohol, some hops, and at the end there is this warming spicy twang that I can't quite put my finger on. maybe a distinctive strain of yeast?

M - thin but well carbonated, goes down very easily.

D - very very easy to throw multiple cans or bottles back while eating crabs with Old Bay (how else can you possibly eat them?), with some east side pit beef, or watchin' dem Ravens, hon

I'm not sure about anywhere else that you can get it, but if you have a couple bucks you can get a decent amount of this stuff in Baltimore, like a sixer for $3. you have no excuse to not at least try it here

obrendano, Oct 04, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -1.8%

I had this can served chilled from the cooler, allowed to warm slightly.

A - pale gold straw with white now you see, there it is gone cap. visible carbonation is one of its qualities with small bead, no real lacing

S - A smell that is so mild that you only get a mild sweet adjunct aroma out of it, oh and maybe slight metallic husky graininess

M - The feel is pretty light with light sweet texture, a mellow diacetyl note w/ moderate carbonation and semi-clean finish

T - The taste is average it has a lot of similiarities to other adjunct lagers I have had - the flavor is ok, but as you taste it it drops out and when it warms it tastes almost like corn syrup with sweet taste overriding any true malt flavor

D - I was drinking this since I was with a group and it was offered, but I don't think I would purchase this personally. It is bland and there are too many canned options with way more flavor out there

Slatetank, Aug 07, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +36.8%

National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear, golden color. Aroma is what one expects from American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Also, it is highly carbonated. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance that is somewhat higher than others of its ilk. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. For fans of regular beer, this will be a real treat. I loved it. It is NOT sold in Louisiana.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Jul 24, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +28.1%

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A: Pours a pale straw yellow, with a large amount of white foam that dissipates quickly with no lacing

S: Some malt, corn, alcohol, and a kind of mineral smell

T: Malt and corn. No real hop presence. Good for a macro lager, but not an amazing beer

M: Very carbonated and light. Rather refreshing

D: This is very light, drinkable and refreshing. Its not the best tasting beer, but you can drink quite a few of these with no problems.

Overall, this is my favorite macro lager, probably cuz I grew up in Baltimore, and still live there, so its iconic of home. I prefer almost any craft offering over this, but as far as macros go, this is my go to beer.

cdbooth219, Apr 07, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - Typical of any US macro brew. Pale transparent yellow with a small quickly disapating 2 inch snow white head. Moderate carbonation. Barely any lacing whatsoever.

S - Practically non-existant. I smell a hint of hops, and some cereal.

T - Better than just about any other US Macro beer. It has a traditional taste with a little bit more bite. All I can say is that this beer has character.

M - Clean, crisp, and dry. Little to no aftertase.

D - Amazaing drinkablity. In fact, in a baltimore local pub setting, I don't think I would ever choose anything else.

I'll be honest, granting you, the reader, full disclosure. I wasn't going to do an ASTMD review of this beer. However, I changed my mind because I didn't want to appear to be too biased. Do you want me to be honest though? I am biased. With this beer, I loose my objectivity and I think back to experiences around fell's point, and the west side of Baltimore. This brew has history on its side, and regardless of where you stand, I'm in Mr. Bo's corner.

SimplySinister, Mar 29, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -2.5%

A - Pours a completely translucent pale gold with a two-finger head that quickly fades to a negligible coating on the surface of the beer. Patchy, fast-dissipating lacing on the side of the glass.

S - Not much going on here. Faint, vaguely grainy sweetness with a whisp of alcohol.

T - Not much going on here, either. Slightly sweet, with a (very) mildly bitter finish from the carbonation.

M - Thin; aqueous; pleasantly and unagressively carbonated.

D - Drinkability, as in "able to be drunk?" High.

Not a good beer, but not a bad cheap beer. The "cheap beer cost-benefit analysis" works out comparatively well, unless you live close to the College Park Shoppers Food Warehouse, where 12-packs of Schlitz are, by some act of God, less than five dollars.

hyempdaddy, Dec 13, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -1.8%

From one of the many Baltimore natives who grew up on this stuff...

Basically a macro lager with nothing exceptionally good or bad about it. Personally, I choose it over all the other macros for a couple of reasons. First, it was always available at a great price - although I hate to say that recently they seem to have started capitalizing on their cult following and raising the price substantially. Second, it does have a fuller and more enjoyable flavor to me than many of the other mass-produced options available.

At the end of the day, you really have to score Natty-Boh on a scale of: smell, taste, drinkability and nostalgia. It's a part of our history, and when given the choice between this and Miller Lite, I'll spend the evening with Mr. Boh anytime! Wink wink...

ruggles, Nov 21, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +11.6%

A moderate pour yields two fingers of fizzy white head that dies down to nothing quickly. Body is a pale, pale yellow with exceptional clarity. Even for a macro lager, I'm surprised by how pale this is.

Smell is thin and elusive; a mild graininess is about all I can pick up. A sweet corn aroma dances around in the background, barely making its presence known.

Taste is much like the smell--mild and thin, but inoffensive. There's actually a mild biscuity sweetness that I sort of enjoy, an aspect of Natty Boh that I've always appreciated to some extent.

Mouthfeel is pretty much what anyone would expect from the style; light-bodied and crisp.

Natty Boh is drinkable for what it is. It doesn't become atrocious when it warms, it doesn't seem to have that awful metallic macro taste (even when drinking from the can), and it's cheap as hell. Not worth searching out, but if you're visiting Maryland you ought to try it at least once.

kurp001, Oct 19, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is rather bland, some sweetness. Feels light in the mouth. Drinkability is fairly good. Overall not much going for this beer other than the cheap price.

tone77, Sep 24, 2009