National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

appearance - very clear and pale yellow with 1 finger head

smell - just like any other american macro adjunct

taste - fairly flavorless and easy to drink. That is what you want when go for this style of beer

mouthfeel - watery as expected

overall - I last had this beer 20 years ago in college (can). I really didn't like it then at all. I find it much easier to drink today. Owned by Papst but much better than a PBR. (425 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed a "Natty Boh" on tap at Dogwatch Tavern. Very clear, pale yellow color with negligible head and ample carbonation. Very little in the way of aroma beyond the faint wheat smell. The beer is a decent one as far as inexpensive mass produced beers go. The flavor is clean with some wheat taste present. It is a nice change of pace compared to my normal favorites. This is a good beer to enjoy in the Baltimore area, watching a ball game. (441 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured 40 degree Fahrenheit into a Stella stemglass. No born date.

Pours a lucid straw color with a fizzy bright white head that falls out quickly. No lacing to speak of.

Smells of some corn and very faint hops.

Taste is really close to non-existent. Corn and a tough of hops.

Mouthfeel is a smooth, even, if highly effervescent spreading over the palate. Actually enjoyable.

Overall, tasteless but smooth. Very tolerable.

76. (433 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +1%

About time I review a Baltimore classic...err, make that a Pabst subsidiary disguised as a Baltimore classic, but who's paying attention to those kind of details? Poured into a generic glass, and served ice cold.

A: The cynical bastard in me says it's urine colored, but I'm not feeling like that tonight, so I'll say it has a nearly crystal-clear, light straw color. The head on this started strong like most macro lagers, and (due to its frosty temp, mayhaps?) retains surprisingly well.

S: Cooked corn, biscuit, and some (strange) funkiness. Smells like Baltimore, to be honest.

T: This actually has some flavor to it, and it's not unpleasant, either. It's corn-based, so it features some graininess with just a ping of sweetness. This is what Corona Extra should have been; pleasant, mindless refreshment.

M: IT'S NOT OVER CARBONATED. This criteria is VERY important. Many a macro lager has been ruined by either artificial off flavors, oppressive levels of carbonation, or both. It's high, to be sure, but it's manageable. Otherwise, the feel is nothing special. Goes down smooth like water.

O: Puts typical BMC crap to shame, and I even prefer it to certain craft beers, as well. Is it a great beer? Nope. Is it a great beer on a budget? YES. The fact that it's usually a little cheaper than Budweiser is just gravy.

But you know the deal - it's a macro lager, so drink it straight from the can, as frosty cold as possible, without over analyzing it. (1,463 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +46.6%

I love the Boh, plain and simple! Natty Boh, please don't go, I'll drive to and fro, so you can go, into my stomach below! A wonderful beverage from America's past that has surpassed potential extinction and emerged unscathed to "The Bright Side." (247 characters)

3.05/5  rDev 0%

Ahhh Natty Boh - my Hometown Hero.

Enjoyed this out of a pint glass at home in Baltimore, MD.

A: Golden with a thin white head that quickly clears.

S: Not much aroma here. Faint scent of grains and malt.

T: Corn, malt, and mild hops.

M: Medium carbonation, not too bad, not too good

O: Refreshing yet gritty, it's Baltimore in a can. Nuff said. (350 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Out of a can (this retro six-pack cost me only $3.50!) this beer was a clear golden color with one finger of white head. The retention of the head was not bad and it left scattered lacing. The aroma was of pilsner malt, corn and a hint of sweet malt. The flavors were very similar but very drinkable for a macro-beer. I tasted mostly pale malt and corn with a bit of lingering sugar that helped to ‘fill it out’. The body was medium, the carbonation appropriate and the mouthfeel good. Simple but solid. Upon reflection I concluded that this bargain beer had some real substance and better than almost all of its competition, in my opinion. (644 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Enjoyed this beer out of a pint glass at Big Fish Grille in Crofton, Maryland. Our server talked me into it saying it was a Baltimore Legend.

A: Golden brew with a thin white head that quickly dissipates and leaves virtually no head.

S: Not much aroma here. Faint scent of grains and malt.

T: Tastes like Budweiser only a little bit better. Flavors of grain, malt, and mild hops.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation

O: Baltimore Legend? Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it – but it was only a step above on a Budweiser. (527 characters)

A classic. A necessity for anyone visiting downtown Baltimore for the first time. Cannot beat Natty Boh when you are looking for a satisfying, cheap beer in Maryland. While it will not please those who strictly drink craft beers, I will take a Natty Boh over any other similar Macrolager any day of the week. (308 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +32.5%

Poured this Baltimore legend from a can into a regular pint glass. I'm a generation removed from Baltimore, so I can at least claim a little nostalgic place for Mr. Boh. By the way, this is graded to style.

A - Straw/blonde color. A little bubbly, but light head retention and thin-looking. Considering this is an adjunct lager, it looks like it should.

S - Yeast, a little sweet in the nose. A pleasant smell for this type of lager

T - Light malts, some adjunct (corn perhaps?). Very mild and pleasant flavors, though with just a tinge of bitterness in the finish (which is actually quite nice).

M - Thin-bodied and refreshing. Carbonation level is fine and a pleasant aftertaste.

O - For what it is, Natty Boh is one of my favorite cheap adjuncts. It's refreshing and doesn't have any off flavors to it. As long as you keep the style in mind, Natty Boh is definitely worth your time. Too bad I can't get it in VA (though MD is a short drive), but Natty Boh will be my go-to when I want a lawnmower beer. (1,012 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Every big city has one; their own cheap, plentiful, shamelessly promoted cheap beer. Baltimore has Natty Boh. As cheap beers go, this is one of the better ones out there. A nice crispness to the beer and some actual hops detected while you drink it, you can pick up 24 of these bad boys for $12-13. While it isn't special by any means, it isn't meant to be... it's a beer to drink on a hot night or to take advantage of the $1 special at the bar, and its delicious and refreshing. No frills, but above average for it's style. (525 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -7.2%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: golden clear yellow with a 1 finger white head

smell: lager yeast, corn, malts

taste: corn, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin body,

overall: lawnmower beer. hey some people enjoy this beer on the beach.

Cheers,
The CPJ (264 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured a really light golden yellow - about a one finger head that fell really fast. Smells grainy, getting a wiff of something a bit sour. Taste follows the nose with the addition of a corn-like flavor and some bitter bits from the hops. Feels super light - not a whole lot of carbonation. My dad snagged some of this on his last trip and gave me a few - I feel like I'm drinking a half step up from budweiser - a beer that, if it was in my area, I would buy on those nights where I just feel like getting faced with my friends.

Enjoy (536 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a light, gold/straw color with a small fizzy head that is gone rather quickly. No real lacing either.

S: Not a ton going on, some sweet adjunct and light grain. Nothing off-putting though.

T: Not bad at all, for an adjunct at least. Some corn and light grainy malt, but again rather mild.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation.

M: A sweet flavor lingers throughout. It's not craft but it'll do.

O: For the style, really not bad at all. Easy drinking and refreshing. A good substitute for the watery light lagers out there. (563 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz can poured into a Pint Glass. As a true son of Maryland, I have very fond memories of nights spent in Fells Point drinking this beer. Haven't had this since I broke into Craft Beer, so I'm looking forward to the memories.

A - Pours just the lightest clear gold with a thin white head that dissipates quickly, leaving nothing but a steady stream of carbonation bubbles.
S - Crisp, sweet malt, corn, and some slightly earthy hops. A bit better then your average Adjunct, but an Adjunct nonetheless.
T - Spot-on with the nose : crisp malt, sweet corn, and a touch of bitter hops. Nice and simple.
M - Thin-bodied with sharp carbonation.
O - Easily one of the better Adjuncts on the shelf, and the memories I have associated with this beer are unquantifiable. I'll always pick up a case or two when I'm visiting home. (819 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -7.9%

A- Pours with a big head that falls into a nice rocky one finger layer with some lacing. Almost no carbonation bubbles coming through but other than that looks like most adjunct lagers with just a shade darker coloring.

S- Corn sweetness and a bit of metallic off aroma, I want to like it but I can't.

T- Certainly better than the smell with no metallic off taste and only a small amount of corn. Definitely some sweetness and no hops to balance it, but not the worst.

M- Less thin and watery and also with lighter carbonation than most in the style. This one feels a bit more like a beer than the tonic water.

D- Not a very good beer. If you're in Baltimore you might be obligated to have one, outside of that it's not much better than your standard lager past the looks and mouthfeel. (790 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -6.6%

appearance: pours a clear yellow, well-carbonated, bubbly white foam, moderate lacing.

smell: corn predominant, yet a faint yet crisp bitterness is noticable.

taste: watered down, taste of corn, light sweetness present with the crisp/bitter finish.

drinkability: it's a hometown favorite, cheap, drinkable, and not that discernable from other more pricey beers of the same adjunct style. (390 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +1.6%

I love Natty Boh. I drank a TON of this during my 7 years living in Baltimore. My local corner bar had it on tap for $1 a pint---always. Ice cold with a plate of steamed shrimp or a crab pick. Goes well. Its a simple adjunct lager---crisp with a touch of bitterness. Drinks easy. Oh, did I mention it's cheap? Whenever Im back in town, I always stop for a case or two to bring home. In all honesty, its no better or worse than the higher priced adjuncts like Coors or Bud. Only cheap beers I prefer would be Miller High Life or Yuengling Lager. (544 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +8.9%

Had this on tap while I was out in Baltimore.

A- Pours a pale straw yellow just a shade darker than most BMC products. One finger white head shows poor retention. Spotty lacing at best on the sides of the glass.

S- There is a cider like aroma in the front mixed with grain. Corn aroma does come from the middle on. Light bittering hop in the back but I mean it is light. A tad bit better smelling than most adjunct lagers.

T- This beer like many adjunct lagers starts of with a grainy cooked veggies flavor. It is a little more defined I think than a lot of other offerings. A hint of metallic off flavor which seems to be another quality of this category. Light pale malt defines the base of the beer. Light alcohol on the ending along with a crisp hop bite to it.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high for the beer but average for the style. Cooked veggies and hints of pale malt are left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly corn like flavor, hint of alcohol and bitter hops, and light metallic undertones. Flavor was blended to the style and I can't knock it because of that. Only off flavor is the light metallic hint throughout the entire beer. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

O- Overall this beer was average at best with nothing that makes it better than most adjuncts in my opinion. It was a good and well made for what it was suppose to be. The lower ABV makes it easy to have many pints of this. If this were around where I lived I would have this after mowing the lawn in the hot sun easy. (1,514 characters)

Tried this when I visited my Sister in Baltimore.

Smells like Corn, Nice Pale Yellow color, more bitter than other Pabst brands, but a very drinkable beer. But not a remarkable Beer.

For the price of a six pack of bottles ($3.99) you can make a lot WORSE Choices. (267 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -1%

Appearance - super clear pale and yellow, looks like discolored water. Builds a frothy head that soon vanishes.

Smell - mostly nothing, small hints of corn and hops. But much better then other beers in this price category.

Taste - a weak flavor of corn that soon fizzles into water, but still very refreshing. You can tell at some point in time it was a quality beer.

Mouthfeel - Not heavy carbonation, refreshing. Smooth on the tongue, a lil bite on the swallow. Over all not bad.

Drinkability - Im from Baltimore, we are apparently the only people that love this as much. We put this stuff down like there's no tomorrow. By far my favorite crap beer. A step up from your traditional light beers for similar price, except boh is not a light beer. (753 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +4.6%

I live near Baltimore, so National Bohemian is a beer we take pride in. We call it Natty Boh and it goes great with crabs. You can even make a "Natty Bay", which is when you drink it out of the can and sprinkle old bay along the rim. Haha.

A - Pale with some carbonation. About a half inch of head that disappeared after the first sip. Light, clear yellow.

S - A sweet corn smell. It smells like Baltimore, haha.

T - Grainy and corny tasting. A slight bite of hop.

M - Very thin body. Carbonated.

D - Like I said, it goes great with crabs! (545 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +24.6%

Eventhough my address says that I am south of the Mason Dixon line, I did grow up with Mr. Boh and his cohorts. Actually half of my immediate family was employed by the National Brewery so I awoke many of Christmas' and opened Mr. Boh memorabilia. Man if I knew what I know now. So for the review.
Just poured a 12 oz can into a pint glass, but drink from the can if you have the choice.
A: straw color with little to limited head retention, tight bubbles around rim of glass.
S: Cidery smell like all macro brews
T: Bitter but light feel in mouth
M: Carbonation, can feel the bubbles going down the throat
D: very easy to drink, good balance. Finished 12oz in 3 seconds one time, well many times! (697 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +27.9%

On-tap in the Charm City. Who am I to resist. At John Stevens Ltd. to be exact.

A: Pale and fizzy, it's nothing to get excited about. The lager is translucent, nearly clear.

S: The nose is nondescript, adjuncty and sweet. Enough corn-like aromas to keep me around.

T: For an adjunct lager, this one is pretty damned good. Smooth and mild tasting, corn and pale malts do a nice job. Hops are mild, as are most aspects of the beer. Despite the mildness, I'd belly up to another pint or two, especially on an overly warm winter day like today. The finish, like the rest of the beer, lacks a redeeming characteristic, but I'm not disappointed at all.

M: A sweet flavor lingers throughout. It's not craft but it'll do.

D: On tap. In Baltimore. What more do I need? Oh yeah, happy hour pricing. A nice way to end the Belgian Beer day. (833 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +8.5%

on my latest trip for beer decide to try my great grandpa Herbie's favorite natty bo
poured from the bottle into a pint glass
appearance straw yellow in color with a head that goes away quite quickly
smell a tad grainy with some sweet corn notes
taste a light in flavor (269 characters)

National Bohemian Beer from Pabst Brewing Company