1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

National Bohemian BeerNational Bohemian Beer

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 316 | Reviews: 114 | Show All Ratings:
maxwellboh

3.85/5  rDev +34.6%

Eventhough my address says that I am south of the Mason Dixon line, I did grow up with Mr. Boh and his cohorts. Actually half of my immediate family was employed by the National Brewery so I awoke many of Christmas' and opened Mr. Boh memorabilia. Man if I knew what I know now. So for the review.
Just poured a 12 oz can into a pint glass, but drink from the can if you have the choice.
A: straw color with little to limited head retention, tight bubbles around rim of glass.
S: Cidery smell like all macro brews
T: Bitter but light feel in mouth
M: Carbonation, can feel the bubbles going down the throat
D: very easy to drink, good balance. Finished 12oz in 3 seconds one time, well many times!

02-26-2011 03:25:57 | More by maxwellboh
akorsak

3.88/5  rDev +35.7%

On-tap in the Charm City. Who am I to resist. At John Stevens Ltd. to be exact.

A: Pale and fizzy, it's nothing to get excited about. The lager is translucent, nearly clear.

S: The nose is nondescript, adjuncty and sweet. Enough corn-like aromas to keep me around.

T: For an adjunct lager, this one is pretty damned good. Smooth and mild tasting, corn and pale malts do a nice job. Hops are mild, as are most aspects of the beer. Despite the mildness, I'd belly up to another pint or two, especially on an overly warm winter day like today. The finish, like the rest of the beer, lacks a redeeming characteristic, but I'm not disappointed at all.

M: A sweet flavor lingers throughout. It's not craft but it'll do.

D: On tap. In Baltimore. What more do I need? Oh yeah, happy hour pricing. A nice way to end the Belgian Beer day.

02-19-2011 00:49:37 | More by akorsak
Dodt

3.3/5  rDev +15.4%

on my latest trip for beer decide to try my great grandpa Herbie's favorite natty bo
poured from the bottle into a pint glass
appearance straw yellow in color with a head that goes away quite quickly
smell a tad grainy with some sweet corn notes
taste a light in flavor

02-10-2011 00:15:42 | More by Dodt
patreely12

3.35/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I have to rep Baltimore, so I feel I may be a bit bias in this review.

A - watery, straw yellow. no head even after the most aggressive of pours. but in some way this is still strangely appealing.

S - a faint hint of corn, a bit of metallic. some would say it smells like Chesapeake bay sludge. I'd say it smells like home.

T/M - grains and a bit of malt. same metallic note as in the nose. I love it.

D - very drinkable, especially for the price. $3.99 for a sixer, you can't beat that. crack open one of these, sit back and watch the O's suck.

can't wait to try natty boh on tap this year.

02-09-2011 05:32:36 | More by patreely12
MrWinky

2.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Had it on tap for my first time last night at Nacho Mama's in Canton, Baltimore. Its back in kegs after 15 years! I don't consider it a great beer or anything, but if you live here in Bmore chances are you like and or have some sort of affection for it. I hated it when I was young and I would always spend the money to try new craft brews, but after years of overlooking it I came back and now its an easy go-to beer.

A. Thinly yellow looking with a surprisingly creamy head that held up for quite some time.

S. To me it had this intriguing really faint almost vanilla note that I found interesting and had never noticed pouring it from a bottle.

T. Same old beer of the working man taste...faint grain, corn, and basically one-note at best. You can just tell that no money was really spent making it.

M. Thin and watery

D. Easy to drink and perfect for crab feasts or long days at the beach where a bigger beer (basically any other) may do you in.

02-04-2011 15:52:57 | More by MrWinky
CuriousMonk

3.7/5  rDev +29.4%

Review #300. This Natty Boh beer is special to me as I usually have it before the Orioles baseball game where they sell tall cans cheap - ~$2 to $3. Good times. National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear golden appearance. Carbonation is high. Aroma is faint, but what one would expect from an American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance; hop character is a bit more pronounced than others in this style category. Mouth-feel is light and watery. Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer and I usually reserve it for pre-baseball tailgating in Baltimore. Natty-Boh, baby!

02-04-2011 15:23:50 | More by CuriousMonk
nickthetick

3.05/5  rDev +6.6%

A: pale straw into a golden pheasant pilsner glass with a finger of white head the dissipates quickly and leaves spotted lacing.

S: faint wheat and corn and that's about it.

T: a lot of corn and grainy. A little hop character but not anything to noticeable.

MF: crisp and refreshing, light bodied. Not a lot going on.

D: I'd love to give this a worse review but it is up to adjunct lager standards and it has a lot of eastern MD nostalgia. Its my beer of choice when playing beer pong and such but I won't be buying it to sip on or pair with a meal.

01-18-2011 00:23:40 | More by nickthetick
drabmuh

2.3/5  rDev -19.6%

Still not a session beer. Beer is yellow and clear with a soft white head that disappears quickly but leaves lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low. Looks OK.

Aroma is grainy and corny, like boiled corn.

Beer is thin and grainy. Almost no sweetness. The finish is boring as well. Its a grainy, watery beer with almost no flavor...I was expecting too much from Pabst in this case.

12-07-2010 03:07:10 | More by drabmuh
cpolking

Iowa

3.38/5  rDev +18.2%

Pale light golden in color with a small head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is of very slight grain, a bit metallic, a tad of lager and some hop bitterness. It is very finely carbonated, giving a tickle on the tongue. The mouth-feel is creamy and light, without being watery. The taste has the same notes as the aroma (grain, slight apple/metal tartness, bit of lager and very slight hop bitterness), but I would say that the taste is better than the aroma. This is good, solid cheap beer. Is it the best cheap beer? Not at all. There are some with better aroma and flavor, but there are also many that are worse. In addition, I did really like the mouth-feel of this beer (at least for a cheap American adjunct lager).

11-25-2010 00:10:41 | More by cpolking
tehawful

2.83/5  rDev -1%

Living in Maryland, near the land of pleasant living...I have an unusual fondness for ol' Natty Boh. By no means do I think that this is a good beer, but I certainly prefer it to the standard BMC's that you will get at the ballpark.

Appearance: Pours a watery golden color into a clear yellow body. A foamy misleading head quickly dissipates into nothing.

Smell: Sweet malt taste with some wheat. Faint aroma overall.

Taste: Taste of corn and sweet malt. Much less offensive if you are enjoying one while watching the game. Any more attention to the flavor profile reveals a tangy hard to place taste. I wouldn't call it metallic, but there is something there if you are looking for it.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body with average carbonation.

Drinkability: I rated the drinkability unusually high due to the nostalgia that Natty Boh brings. This is by no means a craft beer, but still enjoyable after mowing the lawn or when watching the game. If nothing else, its a good alternative to a BMC when available.

11-02-2010 03:45:04 | More by tehawful
obrendano

3.3/5  rDev +15.4%

as a Baltimorean I feel a slight twinge of pain when I can't give this a full 5/5. if there was a category for history or emotional attachment to this product, I'd give it a 10 out of 5. even when I didn't drink, Natty Boh was a firm part of my life in Maryland, the history, the merch, the endless amount of tattoos, etc. you gotta live here to know. anyway, onto the brew

A - nothing special at all really, just a thin pale yellow indicative of an old American beer

S - not much of one to be found. the general smell of "beer" comes to mind before any specific attribute

T - this is where it picks up a little. very little character up front, but towards the middle you begin to pick up some grain, some alcohol, some hops, and at the end there is this warming spicy twang that I can't quite put my finger on. maybe a distinctive strain of yeast?

M - thin but well carbonated, goes down very easily.

D - very very easy to throw multiple cans or bottles back while eating crabs with Old Bay (how else can you possibly eat them?), with some east side pit beef, or watchin' dem Ravens, hon

I'm not sure about anywhere else that you can get it, but if you have a couple bucks you can get a decent amount of this stuff in Baltimore, like a sixer for $3. you have no excuse to not at least try it here

10-04-2010 13:53:34 | More by obrendano
Slatetank

2.8/5  rDev -2.1%

I had this can served chilled from the cooler, allowed to warm slightly.

A - pale gold straw with white now you see, there it is gone cap. visible carbonation is one of its qualities with small bead, no real lacing

S - A smell that is so mild that you only get a mild sweet adjunct aroma out of it, oh and maybe slight metallic husky graininess

M - The feel is pretty light with light sweet texture, a mellow diacetyl note w/ moderate carbonation and semi-clean finish

T - The taste is average it has a lot of similiarities to other adjunct lagers I have had - the flavor is ok, but as you taste it it drops out and when it warms it tastes almost like corn syrup with sweet taste overriding any true malt flavor

D - I was drinking this since I was with a group and it was offered, but I don't think I would purchase this personally. It is bland and there are too many canned options with way more flavor out there

08-07-2010 13:45:28 | More by Slatetank
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.9/5  rDev +36.4%

National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear, golden color. Aroma is what one expects from American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Also, it is highly carbonated. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance that is somewhat higher than others of its ilk. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. For fans of regular beer, this will be a real treat. I loved it. It is NOT sold in Louisiana.

RJT

07-24-2010 18:20:00 | More by RonaldTheriot
cdbooth219

3.65/5  rDev +27.6%

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A: Pours a pale straw yellow, with a large amount of white foam that dissipates quickly with no lacing

S: Some malt, corn, alcohol, and a kind of mineral smell

T: Malt and corn. No real hop presence. Good for a macro lager, but not an amazing beer

M: Very carbonated and light. Rather refreshing

D: This is very light, drinkable and refreshing. Its not the best tasting beer, but you can drink quite a few of these with no problems.

Overall, this is my favorite macro lager, probably cuz I grew up in Baltimore, and still live there, so its iconic of home. I prefer almost any craft offering over this, but as far as macros go, this is my go to beer.

04-07-2010 22:06:36 | More by cdbooth219
SimplySinister

3.8/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - Typical of any US macro brew. Pale transparent yellow with a small quickly disapating 2 inch snow white head. Moderate carbonation. Barely any lacing whatsoever.

S - Practically non-existant. I smell a hint of hops, and some cereal.

T - Better than just about any other US Macro beer. It has a traditional taste with a little bit more bite. All I can say is that this beer has character.

M - Clean, crisp, and dry. Little to no aftertase.

D - Amazaing drinkablity. In fact, in a baltimore local pub setting, I don't think I would ever choose anything else.

I'll be honest, granting you, the reader, full disclosure. I wasn't going to do an ASTMD review of this beer. However, I changed my mind because I didn't want to appear to be too biased. Do you want me to be honest though? I am biased. With this beer, I loose my objectivity and I think back to experiences around fell's point, and the west side of Baltimore. This brew has history on its side, and regardless of where you stand, I'm in Mr. Bo's corner.

03-29-2010 19:57:31 | More by SimplySinister
hyempdaddy

2.78/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Pours a completely translucent pale gold with a two-finger head that quickly fades to a negligible coating on the surface of the beer. Patchy, fast-dissipating lacing on the side of the glass.

S - Not much going on here. Faint, vaguely grainy sweetness with a whisp of alcohol.

T - Not much going on here, either. Slightly sweet, with a (very) mildly bitter finish from the carbonation.

M - Thin; aqueous; pleasantly and unagressively carbonated.

D - Drinkability, as in "able to be drunk?" High.

Not a good beer, but not a bad cheap beer. The "cheap beer cost-benefit analysis" works out comparatively well, unless you live close to the College Park Shoppers Food Warehouse, where 12-packs of Schlitz are, by some act of God, less than five dollars.

12-13-2009 07:42:27 | More by hyempdaddy
ruggles

2.8/5  rDev -2.1%

From one of the many Baltimore natives who grew up on this stuff...

Basically a macro lager with nothing exceptionally good or bad about it. Personally, I choose it over all the other macros for a couple of reasons. First, it was always available at a great price - although I hate to say that recently they seem to have started capitalizing on their cult following and raising the price substantially. Second, it does have a fuller and more enjoyable flavor to me than many of the other mass-produced options available.

At the end of the day, you really have to score Natty-Boh on a scale of: smell, taste, drinkability and nostalgia. It's a part of our history, and when given the choice between this and Miller Lite, I'll spend the evening with Mr. Boh anytime! Wink wink...

11-21-2009 23:31:45 | More by ruggles
kurp001

3.18/5  rDev +11.2%

A moderate pour yields two fingers of fizzy white head that dies down to nothing quickly. Body is a pale, pale yellow with exceptional clarity. Even for a macro lager, I'm surprised by how pale this is.

Smell is thin and elusive; a mild graininess is about all I can pick up. A sweet corn aroma dances around in the background, barely making its presence known.

Taste is much like the smell--mild and thin, but inoffensive. There's actually a mild biscuity sweetness that I sort of enjoy, an aspect of Natty Boh that I've always appreciated to some extent.

Mouthfeel is pretty much what anyone would expect from the style; light-bodied and crisp.

Natty Boh is drinkable for what it is. It doesn't become atrocious when it warms, it doesn't seem to have that awful metallic macro taste (even when drinking from the can), and it's cheap as hell. Not worth searching out, but if you're visiting Maryland you ought to try it at least once.

10-19-2009 15:35:26 | More by kurp001
tone77

2.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is rather bland, some sweetness. Feels light in the mouth. Drinkability is fairly good. Overall not much going for this beer other than the cheap price.

09-24-2009 22:18:13 | More by tone77
soupyman10

District of Columbia

2.65/5  rDev -7.3%

Well come on here, it's not like you expect this to be good. However, it is piss beer (looks like piss, generally tastes like piss, with a nice hint of malt in there as well) and (after a bunch) it will get you drunk. Mission accomplished!

Wine Specialist/$8/12-pack

08-08-2009 15:50:29 | More by soupyman10
theboozecruise

Louisiana

3.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Picked up some cans of this stuff in Baltimore recently... I guess it's not really a local brew anymore, considering it's owned by Miller, but it still has a local feel.

Cheap... light... but still a refreshing way to end a day. I'm not going to rave about the stuff, but for the price, you could do a lot worse. It's basically a small step sideways from the bud/miller/coors of the world.

Bonus points for the cool logo and "local" feel.

07-20-2009 03:37:04 | More by theboozecruise
DookDrinkyCrow

4.28/5  rDev +49.7%

"From the Land of Pleasant Living."

Natty Boh is one of my all time favorites.

True, it does taste "light", but after all that is on the can..."patiently aged to a smooth, light, superior taste.

light golden pour, sweet corn smell, crisp and smooth with noticeable carbonation

The best part about it; Affordable.
$5.99 for a 12 pack

07-06-2009 21:05:56 | More by DookDrinkyCrow
thekanna

1.8/5  rDev -37.1%

A: Straw yellow and clear, with some white head that forms. Generally an underwhelming macro lager appearance.

S: Very faint adjunct malts; can't really detect anything else.

T: Faint adjunct malts... I detect corn, mostly, and an even fainter sweetness. Somewhat of a strange metallic hop taste afterwards. Beer-flavored seltzer water, anyone?

M: Very gassy and extremely watery. Leaves the palate wanting for something with more heft.

D: I was not impressed with this at all; it took quite a while just to guzzle down the first bottle. Then again, I'm not a big fan of any Pabst products.

06-13-2009 21:14:18 | More by thekanna
dude

3.2/5  rDev +11.9%

2 for $5 outside Camden Yards. Thanks to Pickles for the special, thanks Mark for the tickets/company and thanks to the city of Baltimore for your apparent lack of an open container law. This lightly golden lager had a clean smell, a bit of grainy/grassiness but otherwise unremarkable. Taste was lightly (again) sweet with a generic cereal grain flavor, mixed with a little sulphur (yeast?). Mouthfeel is light, with a clean finish. Good drinkability due to venue, company and 80 degree temp. Good times.

06-01-2009 22:57:37 | More by dude
DavoleBomb

2.33/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5A: Clear straw yellow color. Creamy white head with average retention and some lacing.

3.0 S: Touch of sweet malt and not much else, but not bad.

2.0 T: Not horrendous, but bad nonetheless. There's a backbone of no taste with an unwanted corn sweetness.

2.5 M: Light body. Good carbonation, but not smooth at all.

2.0 D: Not the worst choice for a frat party, but far from the best.

05-10-2009 03:07:00 | More by DavoleBomb