National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

National Bohemian BeerNational Bohemian Beer

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003)
3.96/5  rDev +38.9%

jumpincrackbass, Aug 17, 2014
3.9/5  rDev +36.8%

National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear, golden color. Aroma is what one expects from American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Also, it is highly carbonated. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance that is somewhat higher than others of its ilk. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. For fans of regular beer, this will be a real treat. I loved it. It is NOT sold in Louisiana.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Jul 24, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +36.1%

On-tap in the Charm City. Who am I to resist. At John Stevens Ltd. to be exact.

A: Pale and fizzy, it's nothing to get excited about. The lager is translucent, nearly clear.

S: The nose is nondescript, adjuncty and sweet. Enough corn-like aromas to keep me around.

T: For an adjunct lager, this one is pretty damned good. Smooth and mild tasting, corn and pale malts do a nice job. Hops are mild, as are most aspects of the beer. Despite the mildness, I'd belly up to another pint or two, especially on an overly warm winter day like today. The finish, like the rest of the beer, lacks a redeeming characteristic, but I'm not disappointed at all.

M: A sweet flavor lingers throughout. It's not craft but it'll do.

D: On tap. In Baltimore. What more do I need? Oh yeah, happy hour pricing. A nice way to end the Belgian Beer day.

akorsak, Feb 19, 2011
3.86/5  rDev +35.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

good old boh! so many great memories were made with this beer which may be the reason for my higher rating. I still say the best way to enjoy natty boh is poured into a plastic cup at an o's game on a mid summer night...although it will cost you $8. well worth it in my opinion!

flagbearer, Aug 03, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +35.1%

Eventhough my address says that I am south of the Mason Dixon line, I did grow up with Mr. Boh and his cohorts. Actually half of my immediate family was employed by the National Brewery so I awoke many of Christmas' and opened Mr. Boh memorabilia. Man if I knew what I know now. So for the review.
Just poured a 12 oz can into a pint glass, but drink from the can if you have the choice.
A: straw color with little to limited head retention, tight bubbles around rim of glass.
S: Cidery smell like all macro brews
T: Bitter but light feel in mouth
M: Carbonation, can feel the bubbles going down the throat
D: very easy to drink, good balance. Finished 12oz in 3 seconds one time, well many times!

maxwellboh, Feb 26, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +35.1%

This isn't the best beer for most places, but at a baseball game - especially at Camden Yards - this is THE beer to drink. It's a perfect "pale beer" and very refreshing with little to no aftertaste and really hits the spot on a hot afternoon. This is what the other yellow water beers should try to be.

Bob_Rhoades, Mar 01, 2014
3.81/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance, yeah it looks great in the can - no way am I pouring this into a glass! Smells very clean, a bit of hops and carbonic acid and maybe the slightest impression of malt, but it does smell a tad sugary. Starts off wanting to have a taste, then there is a bit of a hop bite in the middle before the (mostly clean) stinging carbonic finish. Doesn't sound too appetizing, but for the category it's a winner.

BeerZack, Jul 04, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +33.3%

Presentation: 12 oz, chilled brown bottle. Mr. Boh is on the label, but it also gives some mention to the ingredients. No freshness dating. Although it says that it was first brewed in 1885, I’ve heard rumors that this is only a pale imitation of the original, that Pabst changed the recipe, and that the old recipe is now owned by Clipper City, one day to emerge from the ashes like a Phoenix… but I digress.

Appearance: A hard pour is needed to rustle up a head on the clear bright yellow brew. Reduces to a nice collar and spotty lacing.

Smell: Light sweet malts with the bottled version.

Taste: Mostly malts, with just a bit of grainy and hop bitterness flavors at the end. Still finishes a bit dry, but still with some lingering sweetness.

Drinkability: Medium bodied, smooth and quick.

Say it is August. It is 100+ degrees outside, sunny, and 100% humid. You've spent a big mass of money on a bushel of crabs, your family is coming over, and you need something to drink that won't overpower, but will still give them what they want. Yes, Mr. Moneybags, you could fill them up with Prima Pils, but the Old Bay will pimp slap the delicate hop oils without even trying. You go and get yourself an insanely cheap case or two of Natty Boh.

This is your perfect beer to enjoy whilst tailgating and/or eating bushels of crabs. I’ve seen a lot of negative reviews. However, most appear to come from the rancid can version and not from the fine, fresh bottled versions around. For the price ($3-4 a sixer retail and as low as $1.25 at some local bars) you can’t really beat it. This is my go to brew when stuck somewhere with nothing but macros or questionable taps, which happen to be too many of the bars in the area. I’ll try to throw this one in with the next few BIFs to get some non-regional love. Boh's day is coming. If people will give mad props to PBR, they will surely fall under Mr. Boh's mystique.

Dithyramb, Mar 22, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A - Typical of any US macro brew. Pale transparent yellow with a small quickly disapating 2 inch snow white head. Moderate carbonation. Barely any lacing whatsoever.

S - Practically non-existant. I smell a hint of hops, and some cereal.

T - Better than just about any other US Macro beer. It has a traditional taste with a little bit more bite. All I can say is that this beer has character.

M - Clean, crisp, and dry. Little to no aftertase.

D - Amazaing drinkablity. In fact, in a baltimore local pub setting, I don't think I would ever choose anything else.

I'll be honest, granting you, the reader, full disclosure. I wasn't going to do an ASTMD review of this beer. However, I changed my mind because I didn't want to appear to be too biased. Do you want me to be honest though? I am biased. With this beer, I loose my objectivity and I think back to experiences around fell's point, and the west side of Baltimore. This brew has history on its side, and regardless of where you stand, I'm in Mr. Bo's corner.

SimplySinister, Mar 29, 2010

THolden_MUFC, Oct 01, 2014

bigfnjoe, Aug 04, 2013

duceswild, Jan 03, 2012

chgobear, Jun 29, 2014

Charlie91, Jun 28, 2014
3.74/5  rDev +31.2%

A-poured into a frozen pilsner glass-its straw yellow, a few shades darker than water with a fizzy white head that dissipates immediately

S-typical generic "beer" nose, kind of musty and malty

T-It is slightly sweet from the malt with a nice crisp finish, with just a hint of hops. It doesn't have that thick huskiness to it like PBR which causes it to have less taste but it seems more crisp and clean, which I enjoyed. For an AAL I thought this tasted good and was very refreshing.

M-Thin and watery but it has a nice carbonated crispness to it.

D-I could drink this all day, its crisp and clean and for the style its pretty good.

Overall, this is one of my favorite versions of the style, which is why I gave it a 4 in the overall category even though my ratings would suggest otherwise. Its not as good as Schlitz Gusto, but to me it is more enjoyable than most of the others in the category. Its also cheap, which is nice.

thegodfather2701, May 07, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +29.8%

Review #300. This Natty Boh beer is special to me as I usually have it before the Orioles baseball game where they sell tall cans cheap - ~$2 to $3. Good times. National Bohemian has a thick, white head and a very clear golden appearance. Carbonation is high. Aroma is faint, but what one would expect from an American-style adjunct lager- that beer smell. Taste is delightful, with a nice hop balance; hop character is a bit more pronounced than others in this style category. Mouth-feel is light and watery. Natty Boh finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, this is a very enjoyable beer and I usually reserve it for pre-baseball tailgating in Baltimore. Natty-Boh, baby!

CuriousMonk, Feb 04, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +28.1%

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A: Pours a pale straw yellow, with a large amount of white foam that dissipates quickly with no lacing

S: Some malt, corn, alcohol, and a kind of mineral smell

T: Malt and corn. No real hop presence. Good for a macro lager, but not an amazing beer

M: Very carbonated and light. Rather refreshing

D: This is very light, drinkable and refreshing. Its not the best tasting beer, but you can drink quite a few of these with no problems.

Overall, this is my favorite macro lager, probably cuz I grew up in Baltimore, and still live there, so its iconic of home. I prefer almost any craft offering over this, but as far as macros go, this is my go to beer.

cdbooth219, Apr 07, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +27.4%

I heard someone talking about Natty Bo, and I wasn't sure what it was until my roommate brought some of this stuff back from Annapolis - apparently it's a big Maryland beer. The can is awesome - "From the Land of Pleasant Living" with a one-eyed face that resembles the Pringles guy. Served chilled in a pilsner glass, it pours a very light gold with few streams of carbonation and a 2 finger white head that leaves little lacing. Smells very clean with grains, a touch of fruits, hops (floral?), and a hint of metal. Taste delivers about the same with a medium/light tingly body. Overall, way better than other macro beers and just as drinkable, if not more so, for the same price.

mmmbeer, Jun 18, 2005
3.6/5  rDev +26.3%

Oh, oh, Mr. Boh....

From the stank of the treatment plant in Dundalk, to the freshly manured fields in Hereford....from the cross-eyed beauties in Rising Sun, to the same in Arbutus. All aroun' Balmer, hon. Goin' to see the O's....looking for my Natty Boh's.

Crabs and Boh....the two biggest reasons to come to Balmer. Not that I'm biased, but this is the best macro out there. Clean, crisp, perfect compliment to Old Bay.

It's gotta be from a bottle though. Pours yellow, normal macro color, with a thin white head. Rice and corn on the nose. Don't let this beer get warm or you can actually smell the Dundalk treatment plant. Watery with loads of carbonation. Great lawmower quality.

A real thirstquencer that I always keep in stock. Sometimes it's hard to find bottles though because popularity among the masses has skyrocketed around here.

ITK4ever, May 12, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +26.3%

First, my tastes. I typically enjoy a smooth yet strong and fairly hearty beer like a sam adams or a blue moon typically, but i will occasionally binge on some Coors Light or Budweiser.

Now to Mr. Boh.

Natty Boh...this is the best beer you can buy for the money, at least in Maryland (the land of pleasant living AKA chesapeake bay). A 24 pack will cost a little more than 12 dollars.

The color is a darker piss yellow color with fizz in it. No different than Coors Light or Bud Light. Nothing impressive here whatsoever.

The smell is actually kind of stinky to be honest. Just dont go around sniffin the beer all the time...people'll prolly think your strange at parties anyway.

Taste and mouthfeel...this is where natty boh shines for its price. It has a very smooth mouthfeel at first. Not too fizzy and not too mellow like miller lite. Very clean feel to it and smooth. The taste is clean and smooth with a little bit of a hoppy taste. Comparing it to Coors Light, it has more body to it and gives it heartier taste and feel.

Drinkability is extremely easy, but don't take that negatively. I drank 6 beers in a power hour fairly easily considering the amount. Its only because of its smoother character and lighter (not too light) characteristics.

Now, this isnt to say, those of you that enjoy the hearty beer and like to sip and enjoy A beer versus a few or more in a sitting should switch brands or anything. Natty Boh doesn't try too hard to impress, it just does. For those of you that drink a lot of macrobeers like Coors and Budweiser, deff gives this one a shot. I think you will be 'pleasant'ly surprised.

demo3210, Nov 01, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +24.6%

appearance - very clear and pale yellow with 1 finger head

smell - just like any other american macro adjunct

taste - fairly flavorless and easy to drink. That is what you want when go for this style of beer

mouthfeel - watery as expected

overall - I last had this beer 20 years ago in college (can). I really didn't like it then at all. I find it much easier to drink today. Owned by Papst but much better than a PBR.

bubseymour, Jan 19, 2012