1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

National Bohemian BeerNational Bohemian Beer

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003)
View: Beers (57) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 316 | Reviews: 114 | Show All Ratings:
thekevlarkid

3.38/5  rDev +18.2%

Out of a can (this retro six-pack cost me only $3.50!) this beer was a clear golden color with one finger of white head. The retention of the head was not bad and it left scattered lacing. The aroma was of pilsner malt, corn and a hint of sweet malt. The flavors were very similar but very drinkable for a macro-beer. I tasted mostly pale malt and corn with a bit of lingering sugar that helped to ‘fill it out’. The body was medium, the carbonation appropriate and the mouthfeel good. Simple but solid. Upon reflection I concluded that this bargain beer had some real substance and better than almost all of its competition, in my opinion.

11-03-2011 00:39:46 | More by thekevlarkid
patreely12

3.35/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I have to rep Baltimore, so I feel I may be a bit bias in this review.

A - watery, straw yellow. no head even after the most aggressive of pours. but in some way this is still strangely appealing.

S - a faint hint of corn, a bit of metallic. some would say it smells like Chesapeake bay sludge. I'd say it smells like home.

T/M - grains and a bit of malt. same metallic note as in the nose. I love it.

D - very drinkable, especially for the price. $3.99 for a sixer, you can't beat that. crack open one of these, sit back and watch the O's suck.

can't wait to try natty boh on tap this year.

02-09-2011 05:32:36 | More by patreely12
MLegendre

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev +16.4%

I recently have become intrigued with the infamous Natty Boh. After reading up on it's cult status in Maryland I decided I had to try it at least once. Or maybe I was just hypnotized by the Cycolps Pringles guy on the bottle. Whatever it was, I just had to have some, and thanks to lackenhauser, my wishes were granted...

A: Well it looks just how I thought it would, carbonated piss... though a bit more color then most macro's. Head was there for a second, then POOF! it's gone. A very miniscule amount of lacing.

S: I'm a bit surprised, this actually had a definitive smell... and it smelled kind of good! Very grainy and sweet.

T: Again, I'm surprised. I was expecting this to taste like every other macro in the world, but it actually has quite a bit of flavor. It dosn't have a whole lot of hops or anything like that, but it dosn't taste like water. My only complaint is the aftertaste which reminded me of nutrasweet. Though it's not the best tasting beer I've ever had, it's actually pretty good for what it is.

M: Nothing special, but not bad. Light and lots of carbonation.

D: Let's just say this. If this was available in my area, and I was in high school again... this would be my beer of choice. I'd much rather be drinking this as apposed to Mickey's or Beast. In fact, I could see myself drinking this now on occasion. Not bad.

07-27-2006 06:45:02 | More by MLegendre
Crossmd

3.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured 40 degree Fahrenheit into a Stella stemglass. No born date.

Pours a lucid straw color with a fizzy bright white head that falls out quickly. No lacing to speak of.

Smells of some corn and very faint hops.

Taste is really close to non-existent. Corn and a tough of hops.

Mouthfeel is a smooth, even, if highly effervescent spreading over the palate. Actually enjoyable.

Overall, tasteless but smooth. Very tolerable.

76.

01-08-2012 01:02:35 | More by Crossmd
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev +15.4%

I grew up in Maryland, so I know this beer well, despite the fact that I moved out of the state before I really had a chance to give it a shot. I had my friend pick up a twelve pack on his recent visit. Natty Boh pours a crystal clear light golden yellow with a foamy, short lived head. The aroma is sharp and grainy, not too much else. Taste is a sweet grainy malt flavor, no hops really to speak of. Fuller body and more flavor than I would expect from a 4.2% macro lager. This one is definitely a good party beer when you're on a very low budget, and I would drink it every now and then if it was around my area. Next time I'm eating crabs in Maryland, I'll be sure to pick up a six pack to help them go down.

04-03-2007 02:14:41 | More by ericj551
obrendano

3.3/5  rDev +15.4%

as a Baltimorean I feel a slight twinge of pain when I can't give this a full 5/5. if there was a category for history or emotional attachment to this product, I'd give it a 10 out of 5. even when I didn't drink, Natty Boh was a firm part of my life in Maryland, the history, the merch, the endless amount of tattoos, etc. you gotta live here to know. anyway, onto the brew

A - nothing special at all really, just a thin pale yellow indicative of an old American beer

S - not much of one to be found. the general smell of "beer" comes to mind before any specific attribute

T - this is where it picks up a little. very little character up front, but towards the middle you begin to pick up some grain, some alcohol, some hops, and at the end there is this warming spicy twang that I can't quite put my finger on. maybe a distinctive strain of yeast?

M - thin but well carbonated, goes down very easily.

D - very very easy to throw multiple cans or bottles back while eating crabs with Old Bay (how else can you possibly eat them?), with some east side pit beef, or watchin' dem Ravens, hon

I'm not sure about anywhere else that you can get it, but if you have a couple bucks you can get a decent amount of this stuff in Baltimore, like a sixer for $3. you have no excuse to not at least try it here

10-04-2010 13:53:34 | More by obrendano
Dodt

3.3/5  rDev +15.4%

on my latest trip for beer decide to try my great grandpa Herbie's favorite natty bo
poured from the bottle into a pint glass
appearance straw yellow in color with a head that goes away quite quickly
smell a tad grainy with some sweet corn notes
taste a light in flavor

02-10-2011 00:15:42 | More by Dodt
alleykatking

Indiana

3.3/5  rDev +15.4%

Had this on tap while I was out in Baltimore.

A- Pours a pale straw yellow just a shade darker than most BMC products. One finger white head shows poor retention. Spotty lacing at best on the sides of the glass.

S- There is a cider like aroma in the front mixed with grain. Corn aroma does come from the middle on. Light bittering hop in the back but I mean it is light. A tad bit better smelling than most adjunct lagers.

T- This beer like many adjunct lagers starts of with a grainy cooked veggies flavor. It is a little more defined I think than a lot of other offerings. A hint of metallic off flavor which seems to be another quality of this category. Light pale malt defines the base of the beer. Light alcohol on the ending along with a crisp hop bite to it.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high for the beer but average for the style. Cooked veggies and hints of pale malt are left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly corn like flavor, hint of alcohol and bitter hops, and light metallic undertones. Flavor was blended to the style and I can't knock it because of that. Only off flavor is the light metallic hint throughout the entire beer. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

O- Overall this beer was average at best with nothing that makes it better than most adjuncts in my opinion. It was a good and well made for what it was suppose to be. The lower ABV makes it easy to have many pints of this. If this were around where I lived I would have this after mowing the lawn in the hot sun easy.

03-17-2011 13:31:53 | More by alleykatking
mdaschaf

Washington

3.3/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a light, gold/straw color with a small fizzy head that is gone rather quickly. No real lacing either.

S: Not a ton going on, some sweet adjunct and light grain. Nothing off-putting though.

T: Not bad at all, for an adjunct at least. Some corn and light grainy malt, but again rather mild.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation.

M: A sweet flavor lingers throughout. It's not craft but it'll do.

O: For the style, really not bad at all. Easy drinking and refreshing. A good substitute for the watery light lagers out there.

07-27-2011 14:18:01 | More by mdaschaf
rell

3.28/5  rDev +14.7%

National Bohemian seems to be a college norm - at least where I am, and frankly, not reviewing it would do the beer wrong.

Boh is not a classy beer - yes, it's (originally) from the land of pleasant living, but a 12 pack should only run you about 5 bucks.

The pour is generic - it's the normal yellow goldish tone with a slight head. The smell is the weakest part of the beer, it leaves you asking for something better.

The taste is good for a canned beer (in my situation) and definitely makes up for the smell. Mouthfeel is about the same.

It's drinkability is actually pretty good. If you're like me, you do a "3 in 3" because the drink goes down so easily - 3 beers in 3 minutes. Ah, the college days.

Overall: This is a classic college-esque beer. Don't expect much more out of it.

08-29-2007 02:08:50 | More by rell
nrpellegrini

3.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottle poured to pint glass.

A: 1 finger white head, beer is yellow
S: corn, tap / dirty water
T: very watery, malty, corn
M: on every sip you seem to get a mouth full of non existing head, carbonated
D: very easy

First choice of beer to drink with Maryland Blue Crabs. Its not the greatest beer in the world but it goes down easy and is pretty good. Give it a try!

01-29-2008 07:26:59 | More by nrpellegrini
theboozecruise

Louisiana

3.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Picked up some cans of this stuff in Baltimore recently... I guess it's not really a local brew anymore, considering it's owned by Miller, but it still has a local feel.

Cheap... light... but still a refreshing way to end a day. I'm not going to rave about the stuff, but for the price, you could do a lot worse. It's basically a small step sideways from the bud/miller/coors of the world.

Bonus points for the cool logo and "local" feel.

07-20-2009 03:37:04 | More by theboozecruise
Proteus93

3.25/5  rDev +13.6%

I've been finding myself moving towards a lot of these light lagers as the warm weather approaches. Picked up a pack of this for the patio and was content on drinking it from the can with the exception of this one for review!

A: Crystal clear... a pale golden yellow, as I'd expect--though it seems like it might be a touch darker than the norm. The head was surprisingly full... about a finger tall, receding to half of that quite quickly, followed by a slower recession.

S + T: Both the aroma and flavor feature a pretty straight forward corn quality paired with what I would consider to be a greater than average balance of malts, providing a smooth and sweet flavor that is a little more robust than many adjunct lagers. Hop presence is minimal and barely makes an impact, but it wasn't really expected.

M + D: An easy downer--moderate carbonation keeps it from stinging like a soda. A good, simple, outdoor beer that I was satisfied spending some time in the sun with.

03-18-2012 00:40:48 | More by Proteus93
dude

3.2/5  rDev +11.9%

2 for $5 outside Camden Yards. Thanks to Pickles for the special, thanks Mark for the tickets/company and thanks to the city of Baltimore for your apparent lack of an open container law. This lightly golden lager had a clean smell, a bit of grainy/grassiness but otherwise unremarkable. Taste was lightly (again) sweet with a generic cereal grain flavor, mixed with a little sulphur (yeast?). Mouthfeel is light, with a clean finish. Good drinkability due to venue, company and 80 degree temp. Good times.

06-01-2009 22:57:37 | More by dude
JohnnyS17

3.2/5  rDev +11.9%

I live near Baltimore, so National Bohemian is a beer we take pride in. We call it Natty Boh and it goes great with crabs. You can even make a "Natty Bay", which is when you drink it out of the can and sprinkle old bay along the rim. Haha.

A - Pale with some carbonation. About a half inch of head that disappeared after the first sip. Light, clear yellow.

S - A sweet corn smell. It smells like Baltimore, haha.

T - Grainy and corny tasting. A slight bite of hop.

M - Very thin body. Carbonated.

D - Like I said, it goes great with crabs!

03-05-2011 22:39:54 | More by JohnnyS17
DreamInOrange

3.2/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed a "Natty Boh" on tap at Dogwatch Tavern. Very clear, pale yellow color with negligible head and ample carbonation. Very little in the way of aroma beyond the faint wheat smell. The beer is a decent one as far as inexpensive mass produced beers go. The flavor is clean with some wheat taste present. It is a nice change of pace compared to my normal favorites. This is a good beer to enjoy in the Baltimore area, watching a ball game.

01-17-2012 18:34:56 | More by DreamInOrange
froggyfrog

3.18/5  rDev +11.2%

"There’ll be Ravens, blocking tackles in the sky
There’ll be cans of Natty Boh for you and I
There’ll be blue skies over Dundalk when I break your heart"

~Mary Prankster, R.I.P.~
---
Here we have your stereotypical American Macro Lager.

It's super clear yellow complete with fizzy white head.

The smell is oily hops and adjuncts.

Tastes like corn and carbonation. Finishes with a greasy hops and white rice.

A little strong on the carbonation but not out of line for the style.

Drinkability is just shy of a 5. Goes down nice and easy.

If for some reason you wanted to suck down a shitload of American Macro Lagers, this beer is a winner. It's cheap as hell and it drinks very nicely. This six-pack came in at less than the pint of Hop Devil that I had with lunch.
---
This review is dedicated to the people of Maryland who according to legend live off of this shit. And to our regional hero, national treasure and friend: Mary Prankster, 1995-2005.

01-27-2006 22:28:26 | More by froggyfrog
Clydesdale

District of Columbia

3.18/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Pours a very clear, pale yellow, with quite active carbonation. Head is seltzery and active, quickly dissipating to nothing. Only a few little spots of irregular lace.

S: Faint grass and corn. Sweet, clean, and light.

T: Sweet corn and grass, with a faint kiss of hops that lend a touch of bitterness. The finish is slightly salty.

M: Light to medium bodied, with carbonation on the active side. Clean and somewhat crisp. Finishes slightly dry.

D: Nothing offensive about it at all, although the flavor is somewhat weak and watery. The taste is actually well above average, but it's just a little too muted. Still, better and more drinkable than most comparable bargain-basement macros.

10-28-2008 04:03:13 | More by Clydesdale
kurp001

3.18/5  rDev +11.2%

A moderate pour yields two fingers of fizzy white head that dies down to nothing quickly. Body is a pale, pale yellow with exceptional clarity. Even for a macro lager, I'm surprised by how pale this is.

Smell is thin and elusive; a mild graininess is about all I can pick up. A sweet corn aroma dances around in the background, barely making its presence known.

Taste is much like the smell--mild and thin, but inoffensive. There's actually a mild biscuity sweetness that I sort of enjoy, an aspect of Natty Boh that I've always appreciated to some extent.

Mouthfeel is pretty much what anyone would expect from the style; light-bodied and crisp.

Natty Boh is drinkable for what it is. It doesn't become atrocious when it warms, it doesn't seem to have that awful metallic macro taste (even when drinking from the can), and it's cheap as hell. Not worth searching out, but if you're visiting Maryland you ought to try it at least once.

10-19-2009 15:35:26 | More by kurp001
Redrover

3.15/5  rDev +10.1%

I was visiting Baltimore and of course had to sample a Natty Boh!

The beer is a light gold with a fairly impressive off-white head.

The nose is the weakest part of this beer. I get some grainy smell backed with a hint of hops.

The taste is slightly sweet with a bit of grain. There are more hops than a typical BMC (still not a lot). The hops add almost a perfumy aftertaste. The beer is well balanced and did not have any of that cheap adjunct funk that so many macros posses.

The mouth is blessed with crackling carbonation that adds to the enjoyment of this simple beer. You could do much worse than this old time favorite. Very easy to pair with crabs and oysters.

04-26-2007 16:28:38 | More by Redrover
passthatpurpyo

3.13/5  rDev +9.4%

Ahhh Natty Boh - my Hometown Hero.

Enjoyed this out of a pint glass at home in Baltimore, MD.

A: Golden with a thin white head that quickly clears.

S: Not much aroma here. Faint scent of grains and malt.

T: Corn, malt, and mild hops.

M: Medium carbonation, not too bad, not too good

O: Refreshing yet gritty, it's Baltimore in a can. Nuff said.

11-28-2011 02:05:05 | More by passthatpurpyo
JohnnyWS6

3.1/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer is very common in the Baltimore area.
Very reasonable price
Pours straw yellow, crisp taste with a corny flavor. Finish was ok but not anything amazing.

Not the best brew out there but nothing to really complain about. Would make a great dinner beer. Natty Boh is a given with a table full of hot steamed crabs.

10-30-2008 01:28:10 | More by JohnnyWS6
DJED69

3.1/5  rDev +8.4%

I love Natty Boh. I drank a TON of this during my 7 years living in Baltimore. My local corner bar had it on tap for $1 a pint---always. Ice cold with a plate of steamed shrimp or a crab pick. Goes well. Its a simple adjunct lager---crisp with a touch of bitterness. Drinks easy. Oh, did I mention it's cheap? Whenever Im back in town, I always stop for a case or two to bring home. In all honesty, its no better or worse than the higher priced adjuncts like Coors or Bud. Only cheap beers I prefer would be Miller High Life or Yuengling Lager.

04-28-2011 17:26:50 | More by DJED69
jsanford

Georgia

3.1/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz can poured into a Pint Glass. As a true son of Maryland, I have very fond memories of nights spent in Fells Point drinking this beer. Haven't had this since I broke into Craft Beer, so I'm looking forward to the memories.

A - Pours just the lightest clear gold with a thin white head that dissipates quickly, leaving nothing but a steady stream of carbonation bubbles.
S - Crisp, sweet malt, corn, and some slightly earthy hops. A bit better then your average Adjunct, but an Adjunct nonetheless.
T - Spot-on with the nose : crisp malt, sweet corn, and a touch of bitter hops. Nice and simple.
M - Thin-bodied with sharp carbonation.
O - Easily one of the better Adjuncts on the shelf, and the memories I have associated with this beer are unquantifiable. I'll always pick up a case or two when I'm visiting home.

06-29-2011 03:16:44 | More by jsanford
ThisWangsChung

3.1/5  rDev +8.4%

About time I review a Baltimore classic...err, make that a Pabst subsidiary disguised as a Baltimore classic, but who's paying attention to those kind of details? Poured into a generic glass, and served ice cold.

A: The cynical bastard in me says it's urine colored, but I'm not feeling like that tonight, so I'll say it has a nearly crystal-clear, light straw color. The head on this started strong like most macro lagers, and (due to its frosty temp, mayhaps?) retains surprisingly well.

S: Cooked corn, biscuit, and some (strange) funkiness. Smells like Baltimore, to be honest.

T: This actually has some flavor to it, and it's not unpleasant, either. It's corn-based, so it features some graininess with just a ping of sweetness. This is what Corona Extra should have been; pleasant, mindless refreshment.

M: IT'S NOT OVER CARBONATED. This criteria is VERY important. Many a macro lager has been ruined by either artificial off flavors, oppressive levels of carbonation, or both. It's high, to be sure, but it's manageable. Otherwise, the feel is nothing special. Goes down smooth like water.

O: Puts typical BMC crap to shame, and I even prefer it to certain craft beers, as well. Is it a great beer? Nope. Is it a great beer on a budget? YES. The fact that it's usually a little cheaper than Budweiser is just gravy.

But you know the deal - it's a macro lager, so drink it straight from the can, as frosty cold as possible, without over analyzing it.

12-21-2011 01:39:59 | More by ThisWangsChung