National Bohemian Beer - Pabst Brewing Company

National Bohemian BeerNational Bohemian Beer

poor

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.28% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2003)

vwbus7, Jun 26, 2014

kaunshelly, Dec 21, 2011

weaselchew, Dec 20, 2011

Tyler523, Aug 30, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +23.2%

I like this beer. I like Baltimore. I like Camden Yards. I like to drink this beer when in Baltimore and maybe even at Camden Yards watching the Red Sox whoopin' some robin birds. Good beer, great logo. Ice cold, gimme gimme, yum yum. If not in Baltimore and I can find it wherever I live, I like to drink 'em and watch The Wire and perhaps listen to J. Roddy Walston & The Business.

Pigs, Jun 26, 2014

DuffDaddy, May 10, 2014

iwhoopedbatman, Aug 11, 2014

rderedin, Feb 02, 2013
3.48/5  rDev +22.5%

I have to agree with palffyfan from Boston...'Tiz a malty beverage, and that's what I notice more than anything. Not a BAD thing, however, as it's a very drinkable brew...and smooth. Plus, I get sick of hearing about HOPS! They're decent...but what the hell??! That's not what beer is all about. Malt is another aspect, and Nat. Boh. seems to deliver in that category. Nice switch from the "hop craze" and I really don't mind this classic brew at all. Again, very SMOOTH and easy to drink. Decent flavor, light on the palette...or tongue, if you will....And pretty cool-looking old-fashioned design! (I DO think that's the Pringles dude! He must be moonlighting!) I recommend this, and at $11.79 for 24 of these...how could you beat it?! Although I've yet to try 'em with crabs as everyone recommends....It's pretty damn good just drinkin' by it's lonesome whilst sittin' here on the pc! Give 'em a try....especially if you like a more MALTY brew, with less of a hop character. You WON'T be disappointed, and your wallet won't hurt EITHER! Bottoms up my friends!

musicjustintime, Jun 27, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +22.5%

a light yellow pour, clean with a finger of slowly dissipating bright white head. smells of pilsner malt, bready yeast, cereal. the taste is pretty light for an adjunct lager.. quite refreshing, bready flavor.. not much there.. not as sweet as most of the other watered down american piss lagers, but one of the better ones. light body, high carbonation, very refreshing.

one of the better shitty beers. on par with pbr, though not much of a surprise since they're made by the same brewer.

facundoCNB, Mar 20, 2013
3.4/5  rDev +19.7%

Brewsed, Oct 08, 2013
3.4/5  rDev +19.7%

Consumed directly from bottle.

This beer is one of the better massed produced provided you don't have it from a can. If you get this beer in a bottle, I'm sure will be surprised by this beer.

It looks like any other massed produced lager. It smells like any other massed produced lager. The taste is what sets if apart. It has a sweet, earthy taste and that truly finishes clean. Exactly what you are looking for from a macro lager.

If you can get your hands on it and are looking for a beer to consume in the mass quantities, go for it.

Bottoms up...

Tbn2, Jun 01, 2008

A: Foamy 2 inch head, quickly dispersed, faint lacing. Beer is golden yellow

S: Mainly corn, although a hint of the Baltimore inner harbor is detected.

T: You actually can taste the "Choice Hops" in this one. Also noted are corn and malt

M: Light carbonation, very thin brew

D: One of the most drinkable brews. Tied with Keystone Premium as my favorite party/spacer beer.

For what Natty Boh intends to be, you can't beat it. The price is great, about $9 for a case of cans, and the taste is not at all foul. Although I do prefer and recommend the slighlty more expensive bottles, the cans fit the bill just fine.

7beerphil, Sep 22, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +19%

Pale light golden in color with a small head that quickly dissipates. The aroma is of very slight grain, a bit metallic, a tad of lager and some hop bitterness. It is very finely carbonated, giving a tickle on the tongue. The mouth-feel is creamy and light, without being watery. The taste has the same notes as the aroma (grain, slight apple/metal tartness, bit of lager and very slight hop bitterness), but I would say that the taste is better than the aroma. This is good, solid cheap beer. Is it the best cheap beer? Not at all. There are some with better aroma and flavor, but there are also many that are worse. In addition, I did really like the mouth-feel of this beer (at least for a cheap American adjunct lager).

cpolking, Nov 25, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +19%

Out of a can (this retro six-pack cost me only $3.50!) this beer was a clear golden color with one finger of white head. The retention of the head was not bad and it left scattered lacing. The aroma was of pilsner malt, corn and a hint of sweet malt. The flavors were very similar but very drinkable for a macro-beer. I tasted mostly pale malt and corn with a bit of lingering sugar that helped to ‘fill it out’. The body was medium, the carbonation appropriate and the mouthfeel good. Simple but solid. Upon reflection I concluded that this bargain beer had some real substance and better than almost all of its competition, in my opinion.

thekevlarkid, Nov 03, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I have to rep Baltimore, so I feel I may be a bit bias in this review.

A - watery, straw yellow. no head even after the most aggressive of pours. but in some way this is still strangely appealing.

S - a faint hint of corn, a bit of metallic. some would say it smells like Chesapeake bay sludge. I'd say it smells like home.

T/M - grains and a bit of malt. same metallic note as in the nose. I love it.

D - very drinkable, especially for the price. $3.99 for a sixer, you can't beat that. crack open one of these, sit back and watch the O's suck.

can't wait to try natty boh on tap this year.

patreely12, Feb 09, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +17.3%

I recently have become intrigued with the infamous Natty Boh. After reading up on it's cult status in Maryland I decided I had to try it at least once. Or maybe I was just hypnotized by the Cycolps Pringles guy on the bottle. Whatever it was, I just had to have some, and thanks to lackenhauser, my wishes were granted...

A: Well it looks just how I thought it would, carbonated piss... though a bit more color then most macro's. Head was there for a second, then POOF! it's gone. A very miniscule amount of lacing.

S: I'm a bit surprised, this actually had a definitive smell... and it smelled kind of good! Very grainy and sweet.

T: Again, I'm surprised. I was expecting this to taste like every other macro in the world, but it actually has quite a bit of flavor. It dosn't have a whole lot of hops or anything like that, but it dosn't taste like water. My only complaint is the aftertaste which reminded me of nutrasweet. Though it's not the best tasting beer I've ever had, it's actually pretty good for what it is.

M: Nothing special, but not bad. Light and lots of carbonation.

D: Let's just say this. If this was available in my area, and I was in high school again... this would be my beer of choice. I'd much rather be drinking this as apposed to Mickey's or Beast. In fact, I could see myself drinking this now on occasion. Not bad.

MLegendre, Jul 27, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured 40 degree Fahrenheit into a Stella stemglass. No born date.

Pours a lucid straw color with a fizzy bright white head that falls out quickly. No lacing to speak of.

Smells of some corn and very faint hops.

Taste is really close to non-existent. Corn and a tough of hops.

Mouthfeel is a smooth, even, if highly effervescent spreading over the palate. Actually enjoyable.

Overall, tasteless but smooth. Very tolerable.

76.

Crossmd, Jan 08, 2012
3.3/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a light, gold/straw color with a small fizzy head that is gone rather quickly. No real lacing either.

S: Not a ton going on, some sweet adjunct and light grain. Nothing off-putting though.

T: Not bad at all, for an adjunct at least. Some corn and light grainy malt, but again rather mild.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation.

M: A sweet flavor lingers throughout. It's not craft but it'll do.

O: For the style, really not bad at all. Easy drinking and refreshing. A good substitute for the watery light lagers out there.

mdaschaf, Jul 27, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +16.2%

Had this on tap while I was out in Baltimore.

A- Pours a pale straw yellow just a shade darker than most BMC products. One finger white head shows poor retention. Spotty lacing at best on the sides of the glass.

S- There is a cider like aroma in the front mixed with grain. Corn aroma does come from the middle on. Light bittering hop in the back but I mean it is light. A tad bit better smelling than most adjunct lagers.

T- This beer like many adjunct lagers starts of with a grainy cooked veggies flavor. It is a little more defined I think than a lot of other offerings. A hint of metallic off flavor which seems to be another quality of this category. Light pale malt defines the base of the beer. Light alcohol on the ending along with a crisp hop bite to it.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high for the beer but average for the style. Cooked veggies and hints of pale malt are left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly corn like flavor, hint of alcohol and bitter hops, and light metallic undertones. Flavor was blended to the style and I can't knock it because of that. Only off flavor is the light metallic hint throughout the entire beer. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

O- Overall this beer was average at best with nothing that makes it better than most adjuncts in my opinion. It was a good and well made for what it was suppose to be. The lower ABV makes it easy to have many pints of this. If this were around where I lived I would have this after mowing the lawn in the hot sun easy.

alleykatking, Mar 17, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +16.2%

on my latest trip for beer decide to try my great grandpa Herbie's favorite natty bo
poured from the bottle into a pint glass
appearance straw yellow in color with a head that goes away quite quickly
smell a tad grainy with some sweet corn notes
taste a light in flavor