Country Club Malt Liquor - Pabst Brewing Company

Country Club Malt LiquorCountry Club Malt Liquor

awful

Pabst Brewing Company visit their website

American Malt Liquor |  5.86% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 04-03-2003)

pjkelley82, Jun 25, 2013

jeddis1, Aug 17, 2012

chapcat, Nov 24, 2011

Durandal_777, May 07, 2014

Nolen12, May 13, 2013

jkball01, Jan 13, 2013
1.13/5  rDev -50.7%

This has got to be one of the worst beers I have ever had. It poured a straw color yellow with a small fizzy white head that lasted a couple seconds and left no lace. The smell was just nasty and was 100% adjunct with a hint of alchohol. The flavor was about the same and was tollerable when it was super cold but once it warmed up it lost all hope. This is a beer to avoid for sure, go with Mickey's or Icehouse if you must get a beer like this.

Dmann, Jul 08, 2004
1.13/5  rDev -50.7%

Safeway gets 3 for $5 for a big bottle of this stuff so it is even cheap enough for our homeless population. What really gets me is that this was the cheap drunk of my youth. Makes me appreciate how far we have come in 50 years of beer making.

Tastes and smells like alcohol and stale water. Vodka is alcohol and water also, but this water has a rancid, chemical odor and flavor. I guess I would have to describe the flavor as a chemical-like bitterness.

Mouthfeel is like water, and there is simply nothing to like about this. I simply amazed at how many good ratings this swill gets, but many of them seem to be drinking it from the can so maybe that is better. I supposed if you chill it down to 33 degrees so the flavor is mostly lost you could choke this down, but to me this is one of the poorest “beers” on the market. Good for nothing but a cheap drunk. This may be the lowest rating I have ever given. Can you get a bad bottle of a bad beer? There must be some reason why my rating is so low compared to everyone else.

rkuhnel, Feb 27, 2007
1.28/5  rDev -44.1%

What can you say, if you have $1.39 and want to catch a buzz you can. It is strong and nasty at best. I once slammed 1 1/2~40oz and was wrecked, laying on across train tracks. It's nasty tasting. Very watery flavour. It gave me a hang over the next day. The beer does not stay cold on top of it.

wfrank002, Oct 25, 2013
1.3/5  rDev -43.2%

A - Very light golden color, almost thought it was water watching it to come out of the can. A finger of very thin white head quickly disappear. Shake up a can of sprite and and pour it, it'll hold head longer.

S - Cereal, bready, some alcohol...I'm dreading drinking this

T - I was expecting horrible, so when it hit the tongue with all the flavor of Natural Light, I was pleasantly surprised...but then it hit me. It was like a shot of vodka that had been bombed into the beer. Gah, the alcohol made my face twist.

M/D - Mouthfeel worked, until the alcohol burn hit. Blech. Drinkability? You have to be kidding. If you want to imagine Popov vodka and bad beer, that's how drinkable it is.

mwa423, Feb 12, 2010
1.4/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My housemate bought me this because it was literally the cheapest beer per ounce at Safeway.

Appearance is like post-asparagus urine. A slimy white froth sits atop the column of liquid.

Doesn't smell really like anything, maybe a bit mealy and corn syrupy.

Taste is pretty clean but still unappealing. Standard malt liquor corn sweetness with no hops whatsoever. Towards the end it degrades into basically sugary spritzer water.

Mouthfeel is too carbonated, paper thin, dirty.

This gave me a headache. Even for novelty's sake I won't be drinking this again.

illidurit, Nov 08, 2007

jjkatter, Dec 29, 2011

Sonofalime, Jun 19, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -34.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Now this is one atrocious beer, even for its type.

Pours the same sickly yellow color we come to expect. Not much head.

Just a disgusting skunky corn taste. No redeeming quality. I used to reject this regularly in favor of more palatable malt liquors.

Cool name, and that's about it.

Overlord, May 03, 2008
1.55/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A: From the can, this beer pours a clear yellow with a big, rocky white head. Head retention is much better than I would normally expect from a beer of this style.

S: Very sterile on the nose, with aromas of roasted corn, grain husks, and an odd fruity smell reminiscent of green apple. The aromas present are a bit repellent, but I don't think that any malt liquor is designed to smell good, so it doesn't really matter.

T: This beer starts off sweet with definite fruity accents. I'm picking up green apple, as well as grain husks, roasted corn, minerals, wet straw, and a touch of grassy hops. As the beer warms a bit, cooked vegetable, lemon, and alcohol notes creep out of the woodwork. The finish is short and simple with grain husk and corn notes.

M: Light bodied and dry. The beer has a flabby, lethargic feel to it despite the presence of relatively active, crisp carbonation. Not drinkable at all.

O: Well, it is a typical American malt liquor, which is to say that this beer was probably never intended to be all that great. Compared to other examples of the style, it's not absolutely wretched, but it is extremely close. Actually, scratch that. It's wretched.

mrfrancis, Nov 30, 2011

Segelstrom, Feb 02, 2013

Alron, Feb 08, 2014

spycow, Jan 17, 2013
1.99/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Cheap, moderately harsh, and associated with certain reviled demographics, this is everything I seek in a beer. Livin' high with Country Club! Pouring a pale yellow with plenty of carbonation, it comes out of the can the same way it comes out of me. The aroma is of a fine industrial quality. I take a draught and immediately notice that unnamed, cryptic harshness of mysterious origins common to all malt liquors. Not much else hits me. Are hops used in this? I don't know. Are lawn trimmings used in this? Not sure, but if so, they are used stingily so as not to impart much flavor. As I swirl it around in my facial beer receptacle, pondering on the vagaries of brewing this fine beverage, I wonder if I am tasting a faint hint of malt. But malted what? Can sorrow be malted? Perhaps not. Perhaps it was just my imagination. But the harshness returns in the finish. That much I am not imagining. Ahh, good stuff! (But seriously, if the alternative is Leffe Blonde or some such rotten skunk, I will happily drink Country Club all day.)

TWebb, Sep 26, 2013